Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juravieal

WoW Performance Issues/Tweaks, Etc

874 posts in this topic

Well opening media player before playing has been a trick since at least the CS-days so id be surprised if there aren't a zillion articles about it.

About the shadows, this issue seems to occur in every game, whatever you do don't enable any kind of detailed shadows. Same was in AOC.

I've been noticing the media player improvement too, basically when opening Media Player, I notice a 10 fps increase, I am however unsure if this improvement is permanent however, it seems to me that the fps drops towards it's normal value after some time. Anybody else noticed this, and potentially did some research on it?

Well it was easy to gather some relevant articles using google. This effect was seen with the 2.3 version of the client

First up, a wow insider article with links to threads on WOW boards.

Media Player boosts WoW performance - WoW Insider

A Blizzard started thread on performance issues with 3.xx clients with recent updates and some interesting suggestions for Vista users in regards to sound processing on page 2. Also note, a blizzard provided client configuration for lower end computers on page 2.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> _____User tips and tricks

For the last several weeks, our players have been experiencing periodic latency in both outdoor Northrend areas and Naxxramas, and we wanted to provide you with several updates on what we're doing to resolve these issues. As many players have discovered, the outdoor Northrend latency has been tied to activity in Wintergrasp. We are actively working on a server-side fix that should address the high latency experienced in the outdoor world when Wintergrasp is active. This fix is currently in testing on internal test realms and we anticipate that we'll be able to push it to live realms in the near future. Concerning Naxxramas, optimizations are being made that will address both the latency and disconnection issues affecting players while in that zone. These optimizations will be included with the next minor content patch.

We appreciate your patience as we work to address these issues.

link

Finally things might be looking up after the past month or 2 of hell.

Most of the obvious answers are already posted - namely drivers, memory, and settings.

However, I don't believe this has been mentioned but the size of your primary drive makes me wonder if you could be having a thrashing issue or just a free space swapping issue. Especially as you mentioned that you're running the combatlog for the guild (which would peak during bosses), and Windows Vista - which is really a hard drive predator.

GearKnight already mentioned that you should disable SuperFetching, and that it worked for him. Someone claimed in a reply that vista will compensate when stealing ram and hitting the wall by going to cached memory, which it will but, this might actually be dramatically exasperating your problem if your HDD space is low. Believe it or not, despite all the counter press - Windows Vista does indeed have some features that CAN slow down systems... and will slow down older ones. Its not a terrible OS, but it can fight you at times.

I'd kill Superfetching, drive indexing, and make sure you have no more than 75-85% of your drive being used. Which means if its reporting more than 50 Gigs used, you're going to have potential issues here. (HDD being too full is way more likely to be a problem than Superfetching or drive indexing tbh). If it were me, I'd also disable system restore and set the recylce bin to delete files immediately. You don't have a lot of space to work with, and Vista does seem to be happier with more space as much as it likes more ram.

All that being said, usually hdd slowdown is less fluid in nature. But I've also seen it lead to generic framerate loss with drives over 90% full. Especially when compounded with a lack of ram, or heavy ram usage.

Oh, and turn off Aero.

For those of us who like a little music to go with their WoW, is there a recommended media player that's as light as possible to minimize impact on system performance? I've always used WinAmp "just because", but I realize that that's really no reason at all.

Apologies if this is a little off-topic, though I know there's a lot of players out there who WoW with headphones blasting.

I've been doing most of things mentioned in this thread since a long time now each time I encountered low fps (disabling addons like quest helper and auctioneer, turning off everything that I can running in background). Still will try running full screen mode however it wonders me a bit since when I started using windowed mode in TBC it kinda improved the performance. Also, I am considering turning off the sound.

I am wondering about one more thing tho. The thing that I find the most annoying about my game's performance is the random freezes I encounter when I crit or have some proc - I have been thinking it might be connected to my scrolling combat text addon (MSBT) ... however I am not so sure of that this is the main issue and because my dps is kinda proc based it will be rather hard to run without any proc notification. Therefor I would appreciate any comment on this issue and maybe some advise on some other addon of this type with better performance. Also, while reading this topic I got an idea that maybe it is combat log related rather than this particular addon.

Last thing I would like to mention is that during longer, heavy AoE raids I often need to restard my game to come back to normal performance. Would really prefer to avoid it since reloging on my server during raid time might end up in not coming back. Can it be something more than recount?

...I am wondering about one more thing tho. The thing that I find the most annoying about my game's performance is the random freezes I encounter when I crit or have some proc - I have been thinking it might be connected to my scrolling combat text addon (MSBT) ... however I am not so sure of that this is the main issue and because my dps is kinda proc based it will be rather hard to run without any proc notification. Therefor I would appreciate any comment on this issue and maybe some advise on some other addon of this type with better performance. Also, while reading this topic I got an idea that maybe it is combat log related rather than this particular addon...

NVIDIA? Try the new 181.20 drivers. They seem to reduce the micro stuttering some people have.

NVIDIA? Try the new 181.20 drivers. They seem to reduce the micro stuttering some people have.

I installed them the day they came out, and they did not solve this issue for me.

Purely anecdotal data is anecdotal.

<snip>

I've had the same problems as you, stuttering gameplay and freezes when in combat. Even to the point where it would freeze up longer then 10 seconds. Apparently Satrina's Buff Frames caused this problem because when I disabled this addon the problem completely vanished. Just mentioning it because I didn't suspect this addon to be the problem at all untill I disabled it.

In response to the combat log + Lua discussion, mod authors can choose whether they want to receive events before or after the user's builtin filter. I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone using the filtered events though, so turning the filter to none won't do anything to things like Recount. That said, back when they added the new combat log, turning it to none seemed to help my fps on Shahraz' Fatal Attraction (which was a huge fps killer that patch).

In addition to the usual tips about pruning mods and setting them up to be lean, etc: if you run Recount and your fps gets spikey, reset the data. I mean I've got plenty of free memory, but once Recount starts to consume more than say 15m or so, everything starts to chug. Once I clear out the data, everything goes back to normal. I thought it was supposed to self-manage all those things, so I don't know why it works, but that's a biggie for me.

I recently installed Windows XP service pack 3 and I seriously regret doing it. My game performance went down and I've had a very strange bug where whenever my computer is doing a lot of processing input from the mouse gets queued and doesn't execute until after the processing is done. The computer isn't lagging, I can move the curse, but I can't CLICK. So like when I'm at the WoW loading screen I just have to sit there staring at my computer and wait for it to finish because the clicks won't register until after the loading is finished. I've been unable to find a solution or even reference to this problem anywhere and am considering pirating Windows 7 beta just solve the issue.

I've had the same problems as you, stuttering gameplay and freezes when in combat. Even to the point where it would freeze up longer then 10 seconds. Apparently Satrina's Buff Frames caused this problem because when I disabled this addon the problem completely vanished. Just mentioning it because I didn't suspect this addon to be the problem at all untill I disabled it.

There was a problem with some older versions of SBF and Buttonfacade, those should be gone if you use the newest versions available on curse/wowinterface.

Re: The combat log.

Before the new combat log was released, my UI would have the combat log tab "pulled out" and off to the side of my UI (a throwback to my old EQ days I suppose).

After the new combat log came out, I noticed a ton of video lag in Hyjal and during combat in general. Once I tucked the combat log back behind the general tab my video lag would go away.

Seems to me it may have more to do with rendering the combat log than parsing it. This was repeatable pre-LK, though I haven't pulled my combat log out since then.

One problem I'm still having is that when I die my whole screen freezes up for a good 10 seconds. It only happens after I'm already dead (so nothing I can do about it), but it can be pretty annoying and I haven't been able to get rid of it yet.

One problem I'm still having is that when I die my whole screen freezes up for a good 10 seconds. It only happens after I'm already dead (so nothing I can do about it), but it can be pretty annoying and I haven't been able to get rid of it yet.

I was able to solve that issue by disabling the Curse profiler. I think it gets automatically installed if you use the updater.

I have a rather odd problem. I am using Ventrilo along with windowed, maximized WoW. My Vent push to talk key is right Ctrl. However, I am unable to use it while in WoW - when I press it, nothing happens. I have to Alt-Tab out of WoW and then press it in order for it to register and allow me to talk. This problem appeared sometime halfway during TBC and has been annoying me since. Can anyone guess what might be the problem?

If you are running windows Vista, try setting Ventrilo to run in administrator mode. I do not have this problem in WOW, but I do in other games and noticed that setting it to run in admin mode fixed it there.

The windows 7 beta is free and publicly available.

I tried 7 for one day. WoW runs great. 7 is like a much more polished, less demanding Vista. It will be great when it's bug free.

Re: The combat log.

[...]Seems to me it may have more to do with rendering the combat log than parsing it. This was repeatable pre-LK, though I haven't pulled my combat log out since then.[...]

WoW doesn't like displaying lots of text in it's chat frame. I could get it to it's knees pretty easily with realtime output from my simulator. If the combat log text flies by, then it's time to filter it. The default filters are bad.

WMP worked like a charm for loading time in Vista. I got to character select in less than 5 seconds, down from ~30 typically. Not sure if it boosted in-game FPS; only a small change, if any.

I have tried everything in this forum but still have a problem...

I just built a new PC, I can post specs if needed, but WoW is giving me trouble... It runs flawlessly for about 5 seconds and then drops to 10 or so fps for 3 seconds and it NEVER fails to do this... Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I had a similar problem with a brand new high-end PC, I had to roll back to the previous GeForce video driver release. (17x rather than the more current 18x. In my case the culprit was an .exe program related to the driver that would spike up in CPU usage in accordance with the lousy frame rate periods.

I am playing on a Penryn Macbook. Anyone know if there is any noticeable difference between the OSX and Windows clients?

Three graphic options can have a major effect on the frames per second. That is:

- farsight (fog)

- shadows

- spell details

The effect from spell details comes into play in situations where 10 people start spamming AoE-spells and such.

Next to graphic options addons can have a major effect on fps aswell, especially in raids. If your game performance is far superior by deactivating all addons you need get yourself a performance mod and check the CPU usage of your addons. If one of your addons breaks through the roof get rid of it and replace it with a "smaller" solution.

To track your addon CPU usage (not memory usage, CPU) use OptionlessHouse : WoWInterface Downloads : Miscellaneous or Addon Manager : WoWInterface Downloads : Miscellaneous