Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tegid

Resto UI Discussion

779 posts in this topic

Like anifunk, I react faster to colour changes.

Instead of center icons, I use colours (Health Bar Colour) for debuffs. For poisons the frame turns bright green; for curses purple; and for a debuff that I can't remove but have to deal with, the frame turns really bright pink.

For each fight this is something different, but it's always the "UH OH" debuff that I'm expecting. On Bloodboil it was Fel Rage, on Illidan it was Dark Barrage, on Felmyst Encapsulate, etc. I don't have to think or interpret - as soon as I see someone's frame turn bright pink, I can switch to healing them. Or if they turn green or purple I can hit my decurse/depoison macros without really even thinking - it has become almost automatic when I see those colour triggers.

I also make use of the borders like Nitz - I have no need to show who I'm targetting. Instead I use borders for aggro (red border) and low mana (blue border). If someone's border turns red, I can throw them a rejuv and wait to see if I need to Swiftmend.

I use corner text for Rejuv & Regrowth, corner squares for buffs. I use a yellow corner for WG (I don't really care about the timer). I don't display other people's buffs, but I like the idea of using the border to show whether the target is Swiftmendable... might have to try that one.

This is my current setup:

GridStatusHots.jpg

I use GridStatusHots, GridStatusLifebloom, mana bars, and corner indicator text.

I've been using similar setups to the ones in this thread, mainly Grid, GridStatusHots, and GridStatusLifebloom. I'm curious though how hard would it be to add Abolish Poison's duration to GridStatusHots? I've messed around with it a bit and the closest I can get is using a normal solid color corner indicator. I'd love to have a text countdown for abolish as it would help immensely on fights like Maexxna and pvp aswell.

Also, I'm surpised I haven't seen anyone mention ForteXorcist (ForteWarlock) - Addons - Curse for tracking HOTs and misc buffs. It also has a pretty nice cooldown timer which displays used cooldowns on a slider that frees up alot of screen space. It supports most classes and it's one of the nicer timers I've seen out there.

Here is an example of the Cooldown and Spelltimer:

cs1qieqwdnkbgwt6yyvg_forte.jpg

I only have the Spell Timer tracking a few things right now, but it does a great job tracking our HOTs, and sorting them by players. The Cooldown Timer is between my Player and Target frames and is pretty customizable in terms of what CD's you want it to track.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lifebloomer. Lifebloomer - Addons - Curse

It fits the bill perfectly for 5-mans obviously.

For raiding, I'm usually on the MT anyways and OT's. So I have my regular xperl raid display, then I set lifebloomer to myself and the other tanks.

It's ridiculously easy to roll hots on everyone, and very easy to time to renew your LB at the last possible second.

I do wish it was a bit more actively maintained and/or had new stuff added. Grid just doesn't suit me, but there seems to be tons of addons for it so I could give it a shot to see if I can bend it into something usable for my style.

It's not important for me to know wether Rejuv is at 11 seconds or 6 seconds as long as the indicator tells me when it's almost falling off. ... With my grid I can instantly see a persons complete status in regards to what I can do for him in one glance, nothing else to my knowledge, not even the mighty Healbot does that.

After reading these first posts, I was skeptical. I've been using Healbot for a couple years now, switching from a holy pally to a resto druid at the end of BC when RAF enabled me to level up in just a few days. I loved having the countdown timers next to each person's name on each hot and I couldn't imagine healing without it.

But I spent a good amount of time configuring Grid, I got the hot plug-in all loaded up, and I found that it works. I tried using the countdown timer, but it was just too much information - I found the stoplight colors work fine. And most of the time, all you need to know is how long until the tank's hots fall off and you've already got a feel for that anyway. I went from totally focused on "I have to have countdown timers!!" to "I don't need them."

I tuned my counter setting so that when LB turns yellow, I need to pay attention; when it turns red, that's when I need to hit the button so that it doesn't fall off but it doesn't clip a second too early. Then for Rejuv, I cut down the timer so that when it turns red, I won't clip the end of the spell - it'll give a chance to tick just as I'm hitting the button to renew. And the colors really are easier to see than numbers.

Anyway, my contribution to this thread is that - It's not impossible to go from Healbot to Grid even though I was very skeptical! And it has its advantages. I won't say that I'm completely enamored with Grid yet, but it's cleaner and more customizable. (Now if only I could figure out how to mark only the tanks that need Thorns, I'd be a happy tree.)

Like anifunk, I react faster to colour changes.

Instead of center icons, I use colours (Health Bar Colour) for debuffs. For poisons the frame turns bright green; for curses purple; and for a debuff that I can't remove but have to deal with, the frame turns really bright pink.

For each fight this is something different, but it's always the "UH OH" debuff that I'm expecting. On Bloodboil it was Fel Rage, on Illidan it was Dark Barrage, on Felmyst Encapsulate, etc. I don't have to think or interpret - as soon as I see someone's frame turn bright pink, I can switch to healing them. Or if they turn green or purple I can hit my decurse/depoison macros without really even thinking - it has become almost automatic when I see those colour triggers.

I also make use of the borders like Nitz - I have no need to show who I'm targetting. Instead I use borders for aggro (red border) and low mana (blue border). If someone's border turns red, I can throw them a rejuv and wait to see if I need to Swiftmend.

I use corner text for Rejuv & Regrowth, corner squares for buffs. I use a yellow corner for WG (I don't really care about the timer). I don't display other people's buffs, but I like the idea of using the border to show whether the target is Swiftmendable... might have to try that one.

GridStatusHots.jpg

I use GridStatusHots, GridStatusLifebloom, mana bars, and corner indicator text.

Ok....I'm having a problem. I can get the LB to display the duration but i can not get it to display RJ and RG.....which I need....can anyone help me?

Quick question - does anyone have a replacement for RegenFu with regards to ooFSR time? It appears to be no longer supported.

Ok....I'm having a problem. I can get the LB to display the duration but i can not get it to display RJ and RG.....which i need....can ne1 help me?

Assign Buff: Rejuvenation and Buff: Regrowth to Center Text 1/2/3.

If you want the numbers in the corners, you will need to install the corner text Grid plugin and assign the buffs to those instead.

Assign Buff: Rejuvenation and Buff: Regrowth to Center Text 1/2/3.

If you want the numbers in the corners, you will need to install the corner text Grid plugin and assign the buffs to those instead.

Be sure you assign Buff: My Regrowth and Buff: My Rejuvenation from the GridStatusHots module. Otherwise you'll just get a color indicator instead of the countdown. I spent about 15 minutes in frustration before I figured that out.

One suggestion for tracking the hots of others (either to know you can swiftmend someone, or just to not waste your time/mana tossing a hot on someone only down 1-2k hp that has a hot already) is to setup a gray colored indicator for each druid hot with a lower priority than the "my rejuv" or such, in the same spot. Essentially, if I have a rejuv on someone, I don't really care if someone else does too, so its fine that the "my rejuv" covers up their rejuv indicator.

Another nice thing to have is an indicator that has PW:S as white, and the PW:S debuff as a yellowy color. Especially with the strength of a disc priest's shields these days, knowing that someone is effectively several thousand hp higher than their bar would indicate means they're probably not a rush target. The yellow indicator means that not only do they not have a shield, but they can't get one either, so they're worse off than they look.

Thank you guys for all the help, but I do have one more question. I was wonder which corner text grid plugin I need, seems like there's a million of them. If someone could help me that would be awesome, a link would be great too.

Better yet, if someone could post a list of addons that go hand-in-hand with Grid. Seems like the list got a bit cluttered along this thread.

Has nobody tried rewatch? I really enjoy this mod it takes up a fair amount of space but is really easy to use and has timers built in as well as LB stacks. Got it from curse when i had issues with healbot. The only thing that sucks is when people are added and dropped from groups.

no question --> grid is the way to go if you only do healing --> fast, efficient, adjustable. in combo with clique the very best you can get.

i healed all the time in BC, but never got used to grid for myself. i can't help it, but i dont like coloured points in the corners...

now i'm moonkin (boonkin); sometimes i need to do some healing support; and i need to do raidbuffing. thats whiy i use healbot.

i can simply track mark of the wild and thorns, mouse-click the one to buff and finished.

someone to dispell? no prob.. healbot colours that person (my config: red and purple), and i do a mouseclick --> finished.

need sone heal? you see symbols of the cast showing left duration AND number of stacks on it - perfect!

and you keep your target! means: you can keep the boss targeted, rooted enemy in focus and are still able to heal.

the only thing i dont like is that you cannot change your target with healbot. i happened to forget to define "resurrect" for healbot...pitty me. but now its done.

finaly, if you click-heal, you MUST have at least a 5 button mouse imho. i tried 3 buttons and nearly broke my fingers using all the "alt-click", "shift-click" and other combos

I prefer sRaidFrames instead Grid.

Often you are to observe not only dispellable debuffs, but others as well. To predict that person will be getting dot damage etc.

This can be done via Grid as well, but it requires manual reconfiguring :) Same functionality but less to configure :)

Btw, i should recommend addon like Hot Candy as well. To observe all casted hot bars.

finaly, if you click-heal, you MUST have at least a 5 button mouse imho. i tried 3 buttons and nearly broke my fingers using all the "alt-click", "shift-click" and other combos

I think that's a big generalisation. A lot of people, myself included, have absolutely no problem at all using our little finger to activate modifiers. For me it is fluid fast painless and easy.

Ability using methond is quesiton of habits.

I use mouseover macroes :) I was using clickit for some time, but after i encountered problem of running, turning and clicking abilities with different modifiers, i've changed the way of using abilities. It took some time to get into the habit of this, but i am quite happy with this right now :)

Macroes have some bonuses - you can heal not only by panels, but by running pple, or even name plates, and this is usefull in case of interface crushing :) or logging while fight (some of my panels dont initialise in fight if i am logging in) :)

I think that's a big generalisation. A lot of people, myself included, have absolutely no problem at all using our little finger to activate modifiers. For me it is fluid fast painless and easy.

lucky you...

imho, clicking once must always be faster than pressing and holding one key + clicking afterwards...maybe you are extremely fast and it wont matter (latency), but i love to keep it simple. if i can buy comfort for very little money, i do.

and about gereralism: we ALL do it; especially when posting here :P

If anything, I prefer a hybrid method. I'm using Clique for Lifebloom, Rejuv, remove curse and abolish poison, and mouseovers for pretty much everything else. I think that in most situations this tends to give me the best of both worlds.

GridStatusHots.jpg

I'm having no luck getting lifebloom setup this way. I've tried following several different guides and most mention to click on frames then center text 2. The issue I have is that under Frame I only have Center Text and Center Icon. There is no center text 2 or 3.

Am I missing an addon perhaps? Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Even though I looked for half an hour on how to fix this, amazingly 5 minutes after I post I find the answer. Linking it here for any who have similar issues. Thanks to Tree Bark Jacket

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/smaoineamh/warcraft/blog/enable_center_text2.jpg

Ive been a resto druid for about 2 years now...and the only 2 addons i use for healing are Rewatch and Cast bar...thats it!!! They work really good.

Having searched interface sites for a while now and finding no interesting UI's. I realized I'll have to do this myself. I was thinking of something like Grid+Clique, but I'm wondering if I need any additional plugins or addons to the side of it. As long as it doesn't cloud my UI with useless information as I'm only resto during the occasional offspec.

I don't really see a need for clique, theres nothing you can do with it that you can't accomplish with mouseover macros. Less mouse clicks to worry about, faster healing response, and less mods to worry about.

Also, as far as standard resto plugins for grid, Bigtoy's post is pretty spot on. Resto4Life┬╗ Blog Archive ┬╗ Grid: Thinking within the Box(es) is also a good guide for Grid.

I don't think this is possible, since you can't test conditionals based on spell availability (which is different from stances) other than a brute force random /castsequence. What I have set up is binding mousewheel down for RJ and mousewheel up for SM, it works for me rather well.

Curious... I've been giving this serious consideration but I zoom-in/out a lot so have been hesitant. What do you all keybind for zoom-in/out (if it's not the default mouse-up/down)?

Or is their a way to only have mouse-up/down keybind to SM/RJ if you're hovering over the Grid panel?

Now that I think about it, if you bind these in Clique I know their is a Clique option for which frames to make the keybindings active on. I will give it a whirl tonight and report back if no one else does first.

EDIT: Answered my 2nd question shortly after posting. Funny how that works.