Guest Airraid

Hunters: Soloing old instances for fun and profit

1505 posts in this topic

I've read somewhere that there is a soft cap of 5 elementium ores lootable per raid ID; no matter the drops. If I read what you are saying correctly, are you able manage to farm more than that on a single run when you reset the pack?

Also, any confirmation on whether a ferocity/gorilladin is better to solo Ony with?

Anybody have any luck with attumen? Don't know if this is at all possible. I'm interested in mounts =D. Just got my deathcharger last night. I haven't gone back to thekal in a while but i've gotten some raid upgrades so far, im not sure if they'll help.

Also, any confirmation on whether a ferocity/gorilladin is better to solo Ony with?

Depending on your specc, gear and resistance, a tenacity pet can offer you:

- a lot more of +aggro (and aoe threat from thunderstomp is a blessing for the whelps)

- more healing received from blood of the rhino (works with both mend pet and 2 pieces tier 5 bonus)

- more survivability for your pet with increased stamina & armor

- more survivability for you with roar of sacrifice (and if specced: intervene)

Without bm specc you will be very thankful for every +aggro you can get you hands on.

Onyxia is not about dps all the time. You will have to md/fd several times during phase 1 & 3. It's all about keeping your serpent up through phase 2, avoid getting hit by too many fireballs and let your pet get all those whelps and properly bomb them quick and deadly.

Especially roar of sacrifice will be crucial for your surviving in phase 2 if you don't want to wear loads of your burning crusade fire resistance gear. Laying down on the ground won't work, without a dot up on the old lady, she will breath (she will do it anyway from time to time) and the breath still hurts for a lot.

Wearing a stamina heavy gear (eg pvp items) might help as good as some fire resistance do, It's really not about dps'ing as fast as you can in the first place.

Before meeting her for the first time, make some preperations. I really recommend a BM specc, some of the biggest healing potins (or use your fire resistance potions from illidan, before they get dusty) and a tenacity pet. A gorilla is preferable due to thunderstomp.

Don't even give it a try with sv specc (hint: she's still fire immun, explosive shot won't hurt her) and not enough experience with the battle and her behaviour, or you might wipe over and over.

I tried to do tiger again. My first attempt went very well but to no avail. All subsequent attempts were not very good... I do it with a worm and i have a spec thats the same as the OP's. Whenever my pet got mortal striked there were some serious problems, mostly resulting in pet death in subsequent attempts. Any suggestions for this? Also, when my pet got stunned and they ran to me, most of the time two of them would stay on me while one went back to my pet. pet had 14k health and 58.05% damage reduction at about 21k armor and i had 17k health and 10k mana.

Been reading through and saw a general consensus of 2pc t5 being required, just thought I'd post my experience without it. With a gorilla pet as survival Bloodlord was a joke (obvious), but Tiger took a few attempts (and a respec) and lucky rolls of the dice but something I did notice was that putting my pets back to any of the mobs resulted in him dying. He dodged just enough gouges to keep me from dying because I always had a FD or det up when he did get gouged.

Used the standard spec (56/15/0) with all the necessary mitigation talents on my pet, though I wish I'd picked up last stand as it would help immensely with lack of t5.

It is possible to bug out thekal and make him go straight into phase 2. Exploiting a boss like this isn't such a great idea though-- i stumbled upon it myself. He did die though, and he did drop loot (no mount).

anybody else on attumen? i'm guessing it is only done as two-man

I've read somewhere that there is a soft cap of 5 elementium ores lootable per raid ID; no matter the drops. If I read what you are saying correctly, are you able manage to farm more than that on a single run when you reset the pack?

What are the mechanics of getting into Z'G? I know you need a raid to do this (unlike the 5-man instances), and I know if the person leaves the party after you get in, then you are out of raid and ported out. Can the other "raid member" be logged out or otherwise disconnected?

Z'G looks like a nice mix of reward and challenge. I've gone into UBRS/LBRS but there is an awful lot of trash. Strat dead-side is a fun quick farm run with the possibility of a mount, and rep if you never reached exalted, but doesn't appear to be any more profitable than doing dailies (more fun though).

Are there other dungeons - either TBC non-heroics, or from the orriginal campaign that are somewhat rewarding and a reasonable experience.

In other words, to overly-simplify, there are two reasons to solo old instances: (1) for the challenge of increasingly hard encounters, or (2) as more fun and slightly more profitable alternative to farming in WotLK. I'm curious what instances work well for (2) in addition to Z'G.

In order to get into ZG or any other raid instance, you need to be in a raid group. The other person in your raid group CAN be logged out or disconnected.

I usually do one of two things. The first is to join a Wintergrasp raid and then not leave the raid when it is over. 9 out of 10 times, someone in the raid just logs out after WG is over without dropping group, I eventually become the raid leader, and I am free to run ZG. The other thing I do is just ask in general chat or the LFG channel if there is anyone who is about to log out or if there is someone who is just hanging out doing something that doesn't matter if they are in a raid group. Usually I find someone who doesn't mind being invited.

If there a guy in your guild that is on a bank char or just browsing through his alts, ask him to join with his current alt. It doesn't matter if he logs off as he will remain in the raid as you know. :) Result: Solo raid.

You can even have them quit the raid once you've converted the group. I borrow guildies for this all the time

I've had someone invite my alt to raid, then invite my main when I logged over and give me lead and leave raid (to do w/e they needed to do) and had my own solo raid w/o running the risk of the other person logging on and needing to leave raid for some reason.

You can even have them quit the raid once you've converted the group. I borrow guildies for this all the time

This I don't get. I invited a guild member, converted to raid, entered the instance, my guildie quit the raid, and I was teleported out.

Have you tried having them quit the raid before zoning in?

If they quit the raid there will be no raid. And you won't be able to enter.

Don't have them leave the raid - just log off. This is why it's nice to work it out so that your alt on the same account is in the raid offline, as someone previously mentioned, as there is no risk of that alt logging in and needing to leave raid.

If you don't want to keep anyone tied down, invite someone else on your alt and then log on to your main, get in raid and let the other person leave.

I tried to do tiger again. My first attempt went very well but to no avail. All subsequent attempts were not very good... I do it with a worm and i have a spec thats the same as the OP's. Whenever my pet got mortal striked there were some serious problems, mostly resulting in pet death in subsequent attempts. Any suggestions for this? Also, when my pet got stunned and they ran to me, most of the time two of them would stay on me while one went back to my pet. pet had 14k health and 58.05% damage reduction at about 21k armor and i had 17k health and 10k mana.

If you're using a single target pet such as a worm then you really need to rotate your pets attacks/growls between all three targets. Have a /petattack macro to bound to a hotkey and every 15 seconds or so simply tab from Thekal to Zath or Lor'Khan and have your pet attack that. I would also suggest that you misdirect + multishot every cooldown to help your pet with its threat lead.

The problem you're facing is mend pet threat which is all attributed to you as the caster of the heal, so you need to make sure that your pet holds threat on all three while you're healing and dropping them all at the same time in order to kill them all within 15 seconds of each other. That's why at present it's far superior to use a gorilla as they hold threat on multiple targets naturally due to Thunderstomp, though with that becoming a family ability in 3.1 your options will grow immensely to any pet in the Tenacity tree.

I'd probably still use a gorilla for the pummel due to the spellcasting. Although I'll have to rename my gorilla to SpellNazi.

No spell for you!

Edit: forgot to put pummel in text.

Slightly off topic, but for those whose second spec will be a solo instance farming spec when dual spec lands with 3.1, this new glyph will be absolutely godly for solo farming when combined with improved mend pet and blood of the rhino:

Glyph of Mending: increases the healing done by Mend Pet by 40%

The change to Viper Sting seems to be really bad for some of the ZG bosses. Draining rouhly 1k mana every 15 sec, draining those bosses with healing spells and 26k mana is going to take ages. :/

The change to Viper Sting seems to be really bad for some of the ZG bosses. Draining rouhly 1k mana every 15 sec, draining those bosses with healing spells and 26k mana is going to take ages. :/

Actually you don't need viper sting at all in ZG, the only boss you have to worry about is Jeklik (bat boss). I don't really solo Jeklik anymore because the boss is a waste of time and for some obvious reason, she casts her healing spell even if she has only a very little ammount of mana left.

Aimed Shot seems to make the heals trivial once she's drained. Couple that with a Nether Ray or silencing shot and she becomes relatively easy.

Actually you don't need viper sting at all in ZG, the only boss you have to worry about is Jeklik (bat boss). I don't really solo Jeklik anymore because the boss is a waste of time and for some obvious reason, she casts her healing spell even if she has only a very little ammount of mana left.

How you you handle tiger boss then - I'd be interested in hearing strats that don't involve mana draining Lor'khan. The only thing I can think of (after 3.1) is using a gorilla and having a rotation of pummel and intimidation to interrupt her, but I think that would be a far clumsier way of doing it as opposed to a straight mana drain to prevent the heals even being cast.