Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latito

The Rogue UI: Your Silent Partner

572 posts in this topic

SBF has some problems with poison display as well (flickering, not correctly updating, problems with weapon switching). but it is nothing too serious.

It has other upsides though, i.e. you can create custom (de)buff "frames" to display only really vital information; like stacks on Sindragosa, or your attunement on Putricide. I've even mimiced Debuff Filter's functionality.

It's a very powerful addon.

If anybody cares, this is my current interface. Unfortunately you cannot see either of those two features I've just mentioned.

3259f0b08fcf215bfb124ff.th.jpg

Elkano's BuffBars ... (sp?)

Very nice - buffs / de-buffs / poisons in 3 separate lists.

It is quite customizable as well - but I leave it pretty much as is.

You can place them where you want though.

I'm looking for a better targetting system.

Currently, I know which enemy I've targetted by the sudden Red Ring on the ground around them. This works fine against ground-based trash. However, it doesn't work for air-based enemies. With enemy units like Valkyries, whelplings and the like, I only have 2 visual clues of my current target:

1. Character portrait. Useless if there's three of the same kind of trash/race all gathered in a group in front of me. I could be attacking any of them for several seconds, and not know which one, until...

2. Health plates. Pressing V brings up enemy health plates, but even if their health is going down, I don't know if it's because of my damage, or someone else's. Three identical mobs, all being attacked, all three health bars decreasing, and I still don't know which one I'm targetting. Focus fire is important.

I really enjoy the Red Rings, so an addon that places them on the ground underneath aerial units is ideal... but even then, in small roofed enclosures in a 25-man vs 6 trash situation, the screen fills with sparklies and explosions and whatnot, so I often have trouble seeing the ground. That makes the Red Ring system less than ideal (in certain situations).

WoW-Nameplates2.jpg

I'd turn down Particle Density and Projected textures...

but then I would barely see fire and void zones.

I suppose my ideal addon would add a glowing effect around the enemy model you're currently targetting/attacking. Or more likely, an addon that replaces the enemy nameplates, but includes an unmistakeable visual clue for the one you're presently targetting. Right now, the default plates ever-so-slightly fade the health plates of the mob I'm not attacking... but that's just not working well for me. That, and I don't have enemy plates active all the time (only raids). Even then, having nameplates active in a 25-man vs 12 trash situation makes it nearly impossible to see what I'm doing.

I've tried addon hunting, but I clearly haven't found the right keyword yet.

EDIT: Added thumbnail.

I suppose my ideal addon would add a glowing effect around the enemy model you're currently targetting/attacking. Or more likely, an addon that replaces the enemy nameplates, but includes an unmistakeable visual clue for the one you're presently targetting. Right now, the default plates ever-so-slightly fade the health plates of the mob I'm not attacking... but that's just not working well for me. That, and I don't have enemy plates active all the time (only raids). Even then, having nameplates active in a 25-man vs 12 trash situation makes it nearly impossible to see what I'm doing.

a) To my knowledge there is not such an addon that glows target models in existence, and if that is possible to achieve currently (I don't think it is), it will certainly not be do-able after 3.3.5 (see this blue post).

b) Re: nameplates, you may want to check out TidyPlates. It's a nameplate addon with dozens of available plug-ins, one of which will certainly fulfill your wished to fade out non-targetted enemies. I use the CleanPlates theme for TidyPlates and I never experience difficulty knowing what I am targetting in an AoE/trash scenario.

Hope that helps.

It's probably because I haven't looked into how nameplate addons function, but couldn't an addon like that create an overlay over the target? It could add another frame and attach it to the nameplate frames, offset the y value to relocate it beneath the nameplate to be located right over the character.

You would have to scale, slide and skew it based on camera distance, angle and target size, but if faded nameplates aren't doing it for you that might be in the realm of possibility. Granted all it would be would be a glowing circle or something like that, but there might be potential in it. The only big problem that comes to mind is that I don't think there's an API function to get the target's size and scale, leaving the size of the overlay shape too be either to large or too small most of the time.

I guess this post is half "here is my UI, bask in it's glory", half "give me suggestions for my UI".

http://imgur.com/luEtm.jpg

The Slice and Dice and Hunger for Blood indicators are done by Satrina's Buff Bar, I made a custom bar with a whiteist to only allow those two. The Envenom bar beside it is Elkano's, and it depletes to the left as Envenom is ticking down. The bar with my speed pot, Thistle Tea (lol), and lock rock is Bartender, only shows up while in combat. Shadowed Unit Frames for the unit frames, Recount for damage (I tried Skada for a while, it was alright), Grid, Chinchilla Minimap, Chatter. DBM bars for upcoming things are just above the SnD/HfB bar, and DBM for farther away things (Enrage timer, etc) are up under my buffs. I used to use Mik's Scrolling Battle Text, but after a while I went back to the default Blizzard implementation.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, criticisms, etc.

jsz, (with 31 expertise ^^)

Your ui is looking very neat. And I am really going to try out the hidden or apear in combat options, probably in bartender 4. I would like to have my professions and mount buttons hidden while I am in combat.

One major thing is that I as a assasination rogue need to pay attention to the envenom buff, the energybar and the combopoints. I would love to keep them tight together. Not a energybar under your healtbar far in the corner, a combopoints system under the target healtbar some inches away and the envenom buff in the centre of the screen, witch is probably your main focus area.

Some minor things,

What is the use of displaying all the buffs? If you can filter the really important ones like bloodlust, wellfed, endless rage, poisons with Elkano's or Satrina's buff bar.

There is a large grey area with smaller objects in it. Would it not be a good idea to make the grey area smaller and loose one point on the chatwindow font?

Oh, and you can have fubar automatic hide itself on top of the screen.

In the end, it is all personal flavour.

Anyone know of an addon that displays enemy health bar information below a target's feet rather than over their head? I find myself looking more towards the floor in most encounters and some bosses are really oversized so having those bars above their head is kinda annoying.

Having your personal and target unitframe at the bottom of the screen helps in this.

Along with that generally HUD's are also a great way of displaying boss health in a non-obtrusive, but visible way.

RogueHUD Update 8? Or I think so...

*Made it to work with 3.3.3

*Fixed something with ToTT and FoK displays, can't really remember

+Added ability to monitor for ring procs

RogueHUD.zip

Hey, Loot any chance on an update on your un-replacable addon?

Hey, Loot any chance on an update on your un-replacable addon?

I talked to Loot, and he's not updating the mod anymore, sadly (he's stopped playing his rogue), but with his help I updated the mod to be current; most of the features work, but I'm still working on a few things (the tricks module doesn't work right, and I haven't tested the kick part).

RogueHUD_Om.zip

I replaced the hfb bar with one for vendetta, and swapped the expiration sound from that to your rupture bar, but as I said it's still a work in progress. Send me a PM with any issues you run across and I'll try to fix them.

What addon changes the nameplates?

I use DocsNameplates for a similar functionality: I couldn't recommend this addon enough.

You can turn on "Bars" (see the water ele's at the bottom of this picture) or you can leave them off, the number is HP%

docs1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It does 2 things I really like.

1) Very customizable nameplates all round.

- It shows casts by default.

- You can enable specific Buffs/Debuffs showing which is nice for some boss encounters (Enrage?), but not so much for rogues as you don't tab-dot or anything like that.

- Health Bar and/or Hp% (or abs), colours, fonts, etc. can all be changed.

2) Friendly nameplates can have healthbar removed making player names readable but unintrusive at all reasonable distances. (Allowing you to turn off "Show names" and use nameplates instead)

DocsNameplates - Addons - Curse

Just a small addition on de nameplates. I found Tidy Plates and have to say that it's everything i wanted.

All nameplates are rendered (unlike the standard wow nameplates) and im loving the minimalist look of the Neon theme

pvw37597.th.jpg

Addon can be downloaded here.

*edited because the image was a bit big..

Does anyone know which Unit Frames mod that is?

I'm almost positive it's oUF-based, just don't know which module.

As the content of this thread is somewhat Wrath-specific, and there hasn't been any useful discussion in it lately anyway, I'm locking this. If you'd like to start a Cataclysm version of this thread, get in contact with me.