Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boethius

Shaman: Simple Questions/Simple Answers

1575 posts in this topic

Enhancement Shaman question. Is there any consensus on which Major Glyph is best in the third slot (assuming the first two are Stormstrike and Flametongue), specifically out of Lava Lash and Windfury Weapon?

Enhancement shaman questions:

I was quite busy the last weeks, so i couldn't catch up with the your Theorycrafting. I'd be happy about some simple answers on some simple questions :-)

Do we still need 177 Hit to be capped at lvl 80?

Where is the Expertise cap?

Are there any summarized instructions for "how to use the simulator"?

Enhancement shaman questions:

I was quite busy the last weeks, so i couldn't catch up with the your Theorycrafting. I'd be happy about some simple answers on some simple questions :-)

"At level 80 the [hit] caps will be 367 rating or 341 for Draenai."

"8.1975 expertise rating:1 Expertise at level 80, and reduces the chance for your target to dodge and parry by 0.25% per point of Expertise. 205 Expertise Rating is required to achieve 6.25% dodge reduction" - Malan In the TTT

I found that the readme got me most of the way on EnhSim, not sure what sim you are using.

This question of mine has not yet been answered in the Restoration Shammy Think Tank, so I'm asking it here: though I believe the answer may be ambiguous.

I am raiding 25 man Naxx and am currently specced 0/17/54. I was wondering if it should be considered taking points out of Improved Water Shield, or Healing Focus, and putting them into Ancestral Awakening (AA). I do understand that AA is only effected by beneficial healign amounts, however I am finding that most of my casts are Riptide and Chain Heal, with the exceptions of Patchwerk where I spam LHW (glyphed).

In addition, I am also currently stacking +16 intellect gems (to gain full use from Replenishment, Mana Tide) and am currently on 20,000 mana unbuffed, what should I am for? (I myself think 25,000 unbuffed).

This question of mine has not yet been answered in the Restoration Shammy Think Tank, so I'm asking it here: though I believe the answer may be ambiguous.

I am raiding 25 man Naxx and am currently specced 0/17/54. I was wondering if it should be considered taking points out of Improved Water Shield, or Healing Focus, and putting them into Ancestral Awakening (AA). I do understand that AA is only effected by beneficial healign amounts, however I am finding that most of my casts are Riptide and Chain Heal, with the exceptions of Patchwerk where I spam LHW (glyphed).

In addition, I am also currently stacking +16 intellect gems (to gain full use from Replenishment, Mana Tide) and am currently on 20,000 mana unbuffed, what should I am for? (I myself think 25,000 unbuffed).

On fights like KT or 10 man saph(CH not always reliable) LHW spam usually runs my AA healing anywhere from 5-10% of healing done on WWS....definitely not something to overlook.

As far as gearing, by the time you reach 25k unbuffed you will certainly have a good amount of crit from that int, and your spell power may or may not be to the point where much of it is overheal already. Obviously the "more SP is still efficiency because the more you heal the less you need to" argument still applies despite no more downranking but realistically.....whenever I think about gemming something other than int, I just feel like there really isn't a point at the moment.

Also, not sure if people are factoring this in, but as soon as you drop 2piece t6 you're going to lose over 200 mp5 while chain casting CH. So if you think your mana is infinite now that may change a little when you upgrade to all 80 gear.

[e] Tip for you since you're a JCer. You can use 2 27 int dragonseyes in those trinket sockets and you'll keep the bonus. You may be in the same boat as me and your guild has only been buying patterns atm, but thought it was worth mentioning since blue sockets are still less than ideal.

Enhancement Shaman question. Is there any consensus on which Major Glyph is best in the third slot (assuming the first two are Stormstrike and Flametongue), specifically out of Lava Lash and Windfury Weapon?

You are already doing it wrong.

Glyph of Stormstrike > Glyph of Windfury Weapon > Glyph of Earth Shock > Glyph of Flametongue > Glyph of Lava Lash > Glyph of Lightning Shield

Can be tested easily in enhsim.

Level 80 conversion is 26.2 spell hit rating = 1% hit. You want 17% spell hit, get 3% from raid buffs. Horde, you want 367 hit rating. After grabbing this much hit your yellow hit will be capped as well, capping white hit is not a priority but it's not a waste of stats, either.

Expertise cap is 26. Conversion is 8.2 expertise = 1 Expertise. 214 expertise rating is the cap; any more than this is wasted.

The simulator is stupid easy to use.

Generally, what stat balance should Resto shamans be looking at at level 80? A balance of spellpower, int, crit, haste and mana per 5 (using just generally the best iLevel item available for you in the slot?) or should we be stacking a stat (like haste, crit or mp5?)

Is there any "ideal" level of haste crit or spellpower at early level 80?

for the same item budget, int is more effective in mana return than mp5. this is because of the new replenishment mechanic (scaling off of your total mana), in addition to larger return from mana tide, alongside having a larger mana pool AND getting a little bonus spell crit to boot.

For those using the "Glyphed LHW Spam" for MT healing, what kind of crit chance are you looking at in raids? I tried this last night on 10 Man Patch and it just didn't feel like it was enough vs. the mana cost. This could be that I don't have enough crit (~20%) and need to stack a bit more int, but HW/CH/RT seemed to give me more controlled options when healing that fight.

Also, are people taking socket bonuses? I've generally been going red: pure SP, yellow: pure int, blue: int/mp5 for my gemming, but have been strongly considering putting 16 int in every socket and then balancing the stats when I'm in full/near full t7.5.

So they changed their minds? Thats odd, I read the beta forums regularly and never saw a post saying they aren't going to. The only one I remember was shaman were reporting they still didnt scale.

No I assume they put it in a bug report and just never got around to it. They're broken but functional, so it's probably a very low priority.

For those using the "Glyphed LHW Spam" for MT healing, what kind of crit chance are you looking at in raids? I tried this last night on 10 Man Patch and it just didn't feel like it was enough vs. the mana cost. This could be that I don't have enough crit (~20%) and need to stack a bit more int, but HW/CH/RT seemed to give me more controlled options when healing that fight.

Also, are people taking socket bonuses? I've generally been going red: pure SP, yellow: pure int, blue: int/mp5 for my gemming, but have been strongly considering putting 16 int in every socket and then balancing the stats when I'm in full/near full t7.5.

For 25 man patch I used LHW pretty much exclusively until about sub 10% when I just switched to riptide HW spam. Between beacon heals (we had 2 paladins at the time, 1 beaconing to each hateful tank) and druids hotting both hateful tanks. LHW was plenty enough for each hit. Granted, the tank I was on was a druid with better gear. We put like 2 priests and a shaman on the DK hateful tank and I'm not sure what they used but he was getting burst hard. WWS of crit stats for 25 man patch.

[e] Actually we put extra healers on the druid to ensure he was topped off immediately and took a ton more hatefuls than the DK OT. So I'm not sure how useful that wws info would be. Regardless, my LHW was hitting 43% raid buffed.

For 10 man patch I think it depends a lot who you're healing with. I did it this week with a still mostly 70 geared resto druid and one of the tanks was a dps warrior with quite sub-par gear. I just told the druid to heal only him and I healed with LHW(on the warrior) and chain heals on the druid. I definitely did have to use Healing waves in the 10 man though. If we were using 3 healers I can't see how I would've needed to.

I definitely did have to use Healing waves in the 10 man though. If we were using 3 healers I can't see how I would've needed to.

We were using 3 healers, but 2 of them were fresh 80s (literally dinged that day) so their gear was leveling + 5man stuff. I guess the quick heal spam just doesn't mesh with my healing style, but I can learn to love it getting enough crit.

We were using 3 healers, but 2 of them were fresh 80s (literally dinged that day) so their gear was leveling + 5man stuff. I guess the quick heal spam just doesn't mesh with my healing style, but I can learn to love it getting enough crit.

Tank gear has a lot to do with it as well I'm sure.

Oh thats too bad. I mean they still heal for a pretty decend amount, but im only in t6 gear still. I have a feeling they wont be as great when people upgrade to s5 gear.

Hi. I just wanted to ask.

Is the Spell Power from an Flametounge Totem added to the damage of a Searing totem? Since they´re both fire totems and "consume" each other. And does the spell haste from Wrath of Air totem affect the searing totem? Or doesn´t totems affect each other at all?

Hi. I just wanted to ask.

Is the Spell Power from an Flametounge Totem added to the damage of a Searing totem? Since they´re both fire totems and "consume" each other. And does the spell haste from Wrath of Air totem affect the searing totem? Or doesn´t totems affect each other at all?

Searing totem damage is based on your spellpower. As for the other question, drop a searing totem, drop a wrath of air totem, target the searing totem, and you'll see it either has or has not got the wrath of air buff. I'm pretty damn sure it won't have it.

I was thinking about starting a new thread to cover the topic after searching all the Resto threads I could find over the past few days, but figured I would ask here before dedicating a new thread to the subject.

My question was regarding methods of healing in PvP situations. I have always used Clique in combination with my PitBull unit frames, but after watching many PvP videos and talking to a few high ranked shamans, it seems that they all use a series of macro heals for their various teammates.

My question is this; How do you heal in the arena? I would love to know what type of macros / mods you use to perform various actions (poison removal, LHW spams, ect).

It is possible that this is a topic that has already been covered, as it isn't a topic that only pertains to level 80 PvP. If anyone knows of a thread where this subject is under discussion, I would greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction. It just seems there hasn't been much action in the Player Versus Player section.

in a raid situation..what is better right now, WF/FT or WF/WF..my current weapons are Titainsteel Bonecrusher and The Stray

I'll start off with saying that I've searched around a bit and came up with nothing, which I was quite surprised at seeing how these kind of things are allways stated on EJ. After that I noticed this topic and figured it was the perfect place for my probably rather simple question.

What I'm interested in is at what hitrating elemental shamans are capped at if you consider that we have the 3% from the elemental tree. I'd like to know what goes for both heroic bosses and 10/25 man content in terms of the cap.

Thanks.

Hit rating required for a lvl 80 Elemental Shaman w/ lvl 83 target (raid boss):

Horde: 368 (289 buffed)

Alliance: 341 (263 buffed)

This can all be worked out using information found here or in wowwiki.com.

1% Spell Hit = 26.23 hit rating. Chance to miss a mob 3 levels above you is 17%. With a Shadow Priest or Moonkin in the raid the cap is 79 lower (additional 3% hit). You get 3% from talents. Alliance get an extra 1% because we're awesome.

Note: Numbers are always rounded up.

It's not my place to say, but if you are at the stage where you are hit capped for raids, you probably don't need to be min/maxing your DPS in heroics. Bosses are one level lower and thus require only 6% hit (instead of 17%). If you're that bothered, the maths you need is all in this post.

You are already doing it wrong.

Glyph of Stormstrike > Glyph of Windfury Weapon > Glyph of Earth Shock > Glyph of Flametongue > Glyph of Lava Lash > Glyph of Lightning Shield

Can be tested easily in enhsim.

Actually it's

SS > *ES > WF = FT = LS > LL

*except that the ES glyph is currently bugged and just should be kept in the bank until it is fixed.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums ->

is the Beta post I made testing the ES glyph and Ghostcrawler's reply showing that Blizzard is at least aware of the Bug and working on fixing it. Once fixed it will be the 2nd best glyph behind SS followed by all the others.

edit - looks like they just pulled the Beta forums - basically the glyph is being capped at a 1 second GCD even though it is supposed to be able to reduce the GCD to under 1 second. Ghostcrawler responded that they will be looking into it and trying to have it working properly soon.

Use this script to test the ES glyph for yourself.

/run hooksecurefunc("CooldownFrame_SetTimer", function(_, start, duration, enable) if start > 0 and enable > 0 then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(duration) end end)
They are not scaling at all, and from what I understood from beta they aren't going to scale with AP, they'll scale with stamina and Hit Rating.
MMO-Champion BlueTracker - GC: Shaman's Spirit Wolves still not scaling Fixed in next patch. Also GC posted on the now lost Beta forums that the wolves were going to be scaling with Shaman's Hit, Stam and AP. In the thread where he responded he originally said they were going to scale with our strength but when everyone started pointing out that we no longer like strength very much as a stat he rescinded that statement and said they will be scaling with our AP. Easiest way to test if the hotfix has gone live is to check your wolves hitpoints when summoned naked and when summoned with all your gear on. If you are interested in more detail, or want to help test the scaling factors once the hotfix goes live, copy/paste the following and run it (I just keep it macroed for easy use) to be able to open a pet tab whenever your wolves are active.
/run if not oldHasPetUI then oldHasPetUI = HasPetUI; HasPetUI = function() return true, false; end end PetTab_Update() ToggleCharacter("PetPaperDollFrame")

Simple question:

Any reason there isn't a new Enhancement Shaman thread in this sub-forum? We need somewhere to post our collective wisdom :)

I see the top shaman are gemming their meta socket with the new [item]Ember Skyflare Diamond[/item]

While I can't find someone who can cut this on my server, after getting a new helm from Naxx tonight I decided to gem the old [item]Ember Skyfire Diamond[/item] and watched my intellect before and after, and it increased by...3. Is this a bug? Or does this only affect BASE int? If so its pretty underwhelming...

Just to clarify I have 792 intellect (138 + 654) and my total amount increase by 3 with this meta.

I'm not sure why anyone would be using the [item]Ember Skyflare Diamond[/item] when [item]Insightful Earthsiege Diamond[/item] is available.

The first is 25 spell power + 2% int which, even with a sizable mana pool, AK and BoK, will still only come to 20-25 int (so 12-15 mp5 and a tiny amount of healing and crit).

On the other hand, the [item]Insightful Earthsiege Diamond[/item] is 21 int and a chance for 600 mana, which looking at my WWS reports seems to be the normal 45 secs hidden cooldown procing once per minute for an astounding 50mp5. 25 spell power is two red gems - what price 50mp5?