Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoctor

Discipline Healing Compendium v3.1

567 posts in this topic

To further look at the whole "Is Flash Heal a major spell" question I have dug up my numbers from some kills in Ulduar. According to WoW meter online which attempts to track the effectiveness of shields I got the following numbers.

On Razorscale I spent most of the fight chasing the massive RNG damage trying to prevent the back to back gibbs that can occur. Overall overhealing is off the chart ~75% for all my abilities because of the spiky nature of the damage but importantly no-one died.

• Pennance, 26% of effective healing, 34 casts
  • Greater heal, 25% of effective healing 55 casts
  • PoM, 16% of effective healing, 22 bounces
  • Glyph of PWS, 14% of effective healing, 62 casts
  • PWS, 12% of effective healing, 62 casts
  • Divine Aegis, 4.7% of effective healing, 49 hits

Given the massive amount of overheal my GH had (80%) I could might have used flash to save mana, but mana wasn't tight despite 3 harpoon series before grounding him permanently and 3-4 times the extra healing the GH delivered saved a mage or priest from back to back frostfirebolts or similar. I didn't cast FH once during the whole fight (or renew for that matter)

On Ignis I was tank healing and got the following breakdown.

• PoM, 42% of effective healing, 114 bounces
  • Binding heal, 20% of effective healing, 27 casts
  • PWS, 10% of effective healing, 30 casts
  • Divine Aegis, 6.5% of effective healing, 86 hits
  • Renew, 5.5% of effective healing, 37 ticks.
  • Greater heal, 2.7% of effective healing, 20 casts
  • Glyph of PWS, 1% of effective healing, 27 casts
  • Flash heal, 0.5% of effective healing, 3 casts.

Again GH overhealed like a monster but got in some key bomb heals when the tank got spiked. Interestingly renew is nearly as much effective healing as Divine Aegis despite being on a bad keybind and probably only up for 1/2 the time it should have been. PoM rules supreme here because of all the ongoing raid damage from flame spikes, likewise Binding Heal rocks for the same reason. As you can see, pressing the FH button was right at the bottom of my priority list and mana was fine.

Finally on XT-002 I was on bomb chasing and tantrum shielding duty which seems to be tailor made for Disc priests. overhealing was about 45% overall.

• PWS, 35%, 92 casts
  • PoM, 20%, 35 bounces
  • Penance, 17%, 14 casts
  • Glyph of PwS, 16%, 92 casts
  • Greater Healing, 7%, 7 casts
  • Divine Aegis, 2%, 28 hits
  • Desperate prayer, 2% 2 casts.

Again we see that at no time did I feel it was appropriate to cast flash heal and as others have suggested PWS rules on this fight. Again the extra power of GH over flash heal managed some low health saves.

Overall what I am seeing is that for raid healing the real value is in fast reacting abilities such as penance and PWS and flash and renew are left to fall by the wayside. When tank healing (at least on Ignis) renew was competitive with Aegis and would have been higher if I had kept it up better. In fact for all of these fights I am surprised how little effective healing Divine Aegis is contributing, especially only being 6.5% while tank healing though this may be bigger on a less PoM friendly fight.

Overall It seems that putting talents and glyphs into Flash or Renew will be a personal thing as I just didn't have that many opportunities to cast either of them. Maybe things are different on trash but honestly trash is not worth specing for. In a generic disc spec I would definately favour renew over FH as at least I hit my renew button. If mana becomes an issue I think that points in improved healing would clearly be the way to go, over improved flash heal at least for me.

P.S if anyone can point me in the direction of how to format the tabular data better I would be very appreciative

Our guild has a very solid set of raid healers, the shaman are fast and the druids are typically quite on the ball. I'm parked on the tank almost exclusively, with the only notable exception I can think of being Razorscale.

Ideally I want us to get a holy paladin that actually shows up for FoL spam so I can deal with spikes, but in the interim I make due with flash heal and use it a _ton_ for that purpose. I used greater heal more initially, as more raid members were still unfamiliar with the fights and weren't reacting in time fast enough, so I was pitching BT'd greater heals to spot heal while attempting my other jobs.

Now that it has settled down, I "raid heal" exclusively with PWS. I typically remain focused on the tank, waiting for burst damage (penance), touching with flash, and shielding anybody in range that takes a mean hit. I can always rely on the shamans and druids to have heals in the air in moments, typically before my GCD is up they already have heals in the air.

I'd say it depends greatly on how your other healers work -- I've been discipline for so long I think it is just expected for shields to pop up on wounded targets and nobody really thinks about it any more. Our other priests very very rarely even cast shields themselves any more, except in situations of intense personal danger.

When I'm tank healing, I often find it safer to spamm FH, use PW:S on Weakened Soul debuff, and use Penance to react to spike damage. If my FH spamm is enough hps, that's fine for me to use it and have a lower hps, but being able to react when I need a lot more hps.

Something seems to be missing in the discussion on this thread...

My breakdown for a recent XT-002 run:

• Prayer of Healing: 40% effective healing
  • Penance: 23%
  • Prayer of Mending: 9%
  • Divine Hymn: 8%
  • Flash Heal 7%
  • Glyph of PW:S 6%
  • Glyph of PoH 4%

In heavy raid damage situations, my "rotation" has been PW:S -> Penance -> Hasted PoH. The ability to do this every 6.4 seconds means that Disc has a strong raid healing capability. PoH is not just a tool for Holy. In fights with less raid damage, PoH has a smaller share, but usually larger than Flash Heal. I've cut Divine Fury from my build. In Uld25 through Mimiron, the only time I've cast any GH were when healing the Steelbreaker tank. I find 2/2 Holy Focus and 3/5 Spell Warding to be of more value. So far, even with very heavy PoH usage, mana has not been problem. In Naxx25 gear, I've needed pots+sf+Divine Hymn a few times, but have never yet hard OOM'd in Uld25.

Tried Ulduar on 25-man with my guild and this week, we have 11 bosses down so far. I still stick to my earlier thoughts about disc being a great MT healer. Before 3.1, disc was as good as a holy paladin but the only thing holding them back was the rage/mana starvation from shields. Now that DA stacks and shields can actually refund rage and mana, disc is significantly superior than a holy paladin. Up to 10k extra hp pool, the highest hps spell in game atm, +another 6-8k hp pool = win. Also, I have no problems throwing out shields and POH on the raid in between healing my tank. On fights where there's predictible aoe damage, with absorbs factored in, I'm actually topping the healing meters :P at times, I'm even miles ahead of the guy below me.

But I've found that a disc+druid or paladin+druid combo on the tank is much better than disc+paladin. Since both have high burst, one of them just makes the other one overheal, and a druid's hots covers up what both those classes are missing, which is over time heals.

But I've found that a disc+druid or paladin+druid combo on the tank is much better than disc+paladin. Since both have high burst, one of them just makes the other one overheal, and a druid's hots covers up what both those classes are missing, which is over time heals.

I gotta say I agree with this. I expected to go into Ulduar as a tank healer, but I think my real value is spamming PW:shield. Sometimes I can get 4 whole groups bubbled in anticipation of AOE damage. I chase that with a PoH or two and AOE suddenly doesn't seem so bad. I thought that mana issues would be overwhelming in 3.1, so I gemmed entirely for int, and I now find that I don't even have to shadowfiend for a lot of encounters, even when chain casting the entire fight.

We typically have a druid and a paladin on the MT, and add a third (usually disc) if it is really needed. It feels like the best fit for us so far.

The Legendary for healers was uploaded to the armory today: Legendary Mace - Val'anyr and Algalon rewards stats discovered!

Am I the only one who thinks that aside from the static stats, it's lackluster for disc priests? Right now, the majority of my heals is from some form of shield. According to recount, about 40-70% of my heals on fights is either through DA or PWS, which means the proc is almost useless to us, since it only procs from healing :(

Does Power Word: Shield feel too strong now? I was under the impression that Soul Warding was basically a stand-in for Power Word: Barrier, but now it seems like it's become a monster in its own right. It seems like discipline's PW:S is almost the new CoH: you COULD cast other spells... but why?

I think it's great that the discipline tree finally has a very distinct and worthwhile reason to exist, I just feel like PW:S is too much of a one-button wonder based on what I'm reading here, and it's going to be painful if our newly-found identity gets ripped away.

PWS cannot be abused the way CoH was. There are still significant limitations to the spell. Most notably you cannot cast it on any one person more than once every 15 seconds this is a BIG difference. It's not infinitely spammable. In a 10 man you Cannot spend more than 2/3 of your time casting this spell no matter how much you want to. 10 x 1 sec GCD and then then wait 5 secs for the Weakened Soul to wear off.

Also it is not a heal per say so unless they take damage in the next 30 secs it is wasted. Currently a lot of the Ulduar mechanics of predictable spike favour it but true random damage makes it less desirable. Also you can only have one disc priest in a raid realistically as they don't play nice together. They may decide to make it more expensive probably by messing with the mana return on popping again but as a concept not having a cooldown doesn't seem to be broken per say.

p.s.: A (not so) recent blue post (MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Spammable PW:S (the new COH?)) hints that it might deserve a nerf (although the reason in the blue post is really backwards, of well ..).

Yeah, that blue post got a "what??" from me as well. Thinking that mana limits the over-use of PW:Shield is very backwards given the new rapture mechanic. One of the reasons I do not like the new rapture mechanic is that it pushes you to use PW:Shield precisely because it is cheap. I prefer the old rapture mechanic much more and wish they had just nerfed it down rather than entirely throwing it out.

Does Power Word: Shield feel too strong now? I was under the impression that Soul Warding was basically a stand-in for Power Word: Barrier, but now it seems like it's become a monster in its own right. It seems like discipline's PW:S is almost the new CoH: you COULD cast other spells... but why?

I don't think it is too strong. Shields are not that big and the weakened sould cooldown assures you get at most one of them per target every 15 seconds. If shield is all you did, that wouldn't be very much.

Power Word: Shield to me feels fine, the question is, how many of you are inadvertently (or purposely) abusing the Rapture bug. Shields would be overpowered and dumb if that's ALL you did, but as long as there is a healthy rotation of Penance, Flash Heal, Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending, shields feel fine.

Power Word: Shield to me feels fine, the question is, how many of you are inadvertently (or purposely) abusing the Rapture bug. Shields would be overpowered and dumb if that's ALL you did, but as long as there is a healthy rotation of Penance, Flash Heal, Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending, shields feel fine.

What Rapture bug? I know that on some PTR builds the 12 second cooldown wasn't working, but it definitely seems to be working as intended on live.

Thank you TheDoctor for this thread :)

Long time EJ reader here authoring my first post here now to profess my love for the new 3.1 Disc Priest! Besides the heightened functionality, the thing that stands out the most for me is the ability to "play quarterback" during a raid and focus on helping whoever, whenever. I'm currently healing coordinator for our casual progression guild and in Ulduar assign myself to the MT while keeping an eye on the entire raid. This is a very powerful and rewarding role to play, and here are a few things I have noticed thusfar:

1) PW:S is an incredibly powerful weapon. With the glyph and focusing mainly on throughput gear, my raid-buffed PW:S averages 7-7.5k absorb and 1.5-2k glyph heal. An instant cast 9-10k heal that is 80% mitigation you can cast every 1 second as needed (hasted GCD cap in a typical 25 raid setup) is no joke. Considering the huge amounts of regular raid damage in most Ulduar encounters, you can almost guarantee the absorb will be used between the time you cast it and the 30s duration is up. Personally I toss PW:S on all the tanks and myself whenever available (you get the 2% mana energize effect from Rapture too!), and anyone else that I know will be taking more frequent damage (melee dps for example). Outside of that, PW:S on your other healers protects them from insta-add aggro and helps with cast push-backs, and preemptive PW:S spam on an entire group followed by a hasted PoH on another group is a quick way to deal with timed raid-wide damage. Right now PW:S accounts for about 35% of my effective heal/absorb total, which may seem excessive, but for my raid role it just works.

2) Penance glyph - get it, even if you have to pay 150g for it like I did! Glyphed and talented you can cast 3 quick FH/PW:S perfectly during the Penance CD, or less of course if your tank/raid is faring well :)

3) I highly recommend the recountguessedabsorbs plug-in mentioned by TheDoctor. It seems very accurate, and is key in tweaking/comparing your performance.

4) [iTEM]Spark of Hope[/iTEM] from Kologarn in Ulduar 10 is so powerful, it is now the only thing I will swap in or out of my normal gear setup if I am having mana issues in a particular fight (i use [iTEM]Flask of the Frost Wyrm[/iTEM] always). The last Freya 10 attempt last night I calculated it accounted for over 7k mana in a 7 min timeframe.

What Rapture bug? I know that on some PTR builds the 12 second cooldown wasn't working, but it definitely seems to be working as intended on live.

I think the bug is if multiple shield get taken off at the same time, you gain the benefits from rapture from all of them. This may have been fixed though.

Can anyone break down the difference between Spirit and MP5 for Disc with 3.1?

With Meditation at 50%, I figured Spirit would be the way to go, because Enlightenment enhances it by 6% and BoK scales with it even more. But according to this thread, MP5 is ranked a lot higher. I would of figured that MP5 would be the way to go for hybrid healing like Pallies/Shaman, and Spirit was the way to go now for all Priest specs with meditation.

Can anyone break down why MP5 is better?

4) [iTEM]Spark of Hope[/iTEM] from Kologarn in Ulduar 10 is so powerful, it is now the only thing I will swap in or out of my normal gear setup if I am having mana issues in a particular fight (i use [iTEM]Flask of the Frost Wyrm[/iTEM] always). The last Freya 10 attempt last night I calculated it accounted for over 7k mana in a 7 min timeframe.

For those interested in calculating some numbers how much (many?) mp5 SoH is:

Spell:           Cost:  Cost w/ SoH:

Penance           616   576

FH                512   489

GH               1236  1194

PoH              1854  1812

(FH costs are with talent + glyph)

Consider taking this trinket even though you don't have mana problems. For Vezax it is most definitely BiS (and probably even for all casters).

I'm not quite understanding why we have to compete with Holy Paladins, as a matter of fact our Pally beacons the tank and then does raid healing on fights like Ignis while I MT heal, because we have both agreed that this is the best use of our talents. I shield the tank on WS cooldown, and I make sure that RH is up on the raid constantly (I am waiting for RH to be nerfed to be honest).

On a side note, because I do value crit so highly, I have made friends with an Arcane mage who casts Focus Magic on me, putting me at 32% Holy crit (we have no boomkin/eleoath) and I maintain that 3% crit for him constantly. I also use Power Infusion, on cooldown in a macro to target my friend and then retarget my previous target. So all of this leads me to wonder, why has crit fallen out of favor so suddenly? I do feel that I need more haste, but my tanks, ESPECIALLY my freshly nerfed DK/druid tank is currently in love with me for my high crit coupled with Inspiration and DA.

Edit: One more question, since oo5sr is pretty much dead for a Disc priest, my old "Holy" use for Innerfocus are moot. Would it be a bad idea to macro IF to PoH since stopcasting-gheal isn't part of my playstyle anymore?

First thing the main body has a link to a "made pretty" version of my priest spreadsheet. It is NOT complete but I wanted to get something out there as soon as possible. PLEASE do NOT clutter this thread with issues with the spreadsheet. If you find problems or have difficulties please PM me if there is sufficient need of discussion I will post a seperate thread for discussion of the spreadsheet.

With Meditation at 50%, I figured Spirit would be the way to go, because Enlightenment enhances it by 6% and BoK scales with it even more. But according to this thread, MP5 is ranked a lot higher. I would of figured that MP5 would be the way to go for hybrid healing like Pallies/Shaman, and Spirit was the way to go now for all Priest specs with meditation.

It takes 3 Spirit to provide the same regen as 1 Mp5... Due to the lack of a secondary benefit for acquiring Spirit beyond mana regen it doesn't have sufficient reason to collect it. When it can be avoided it is probably best though in many cases you will get spirit because cloth gear has it.

Tonight I conducted a test, and fully raid-buffed the +100 spirit from [iTEM]Spark of Hope[/iTEM] provided 37 MP5, so the 3:1 ratio is certainly a worthy measuring stick. Unfortunately, I have noticed there are no cloth armor pieces from Ulduar with MP5 outside of cloaks. Basically for every new 3.1 MP5 piece you will be in direct competition with Shamans and Pallies, so good luck! ;)

Has there been a decision upon which cloak enchant is now the best for Discipline? With 3.1 we have been provided with a new option for cloak enchants. Lightweave Embroidery - Spell - World of Warcraft averaging this out seems to equate to a constant ~80 spellpower on ones cloak.

However in a real world scenario this is not actually a constant spellpower bonus. There will be times when this is proc'd and times when it is not. Obviously in the role that we play...which is not a damage spellcaster, we can not simply take the average spellpower increase as a be all end all argument. For all we know in the dire spike dmg scenarios the proc might not be on thus not providing any help on healing a tank. However the 23 Haste rating on a cloak is a permanent always there bonus.

Though I will also add that with the new mechanic for Disc having no cooldown on PW:S I find that I have borrowed time up on myself a large majority at a time. Thus with only ~250 Spellpower + borrowed time, I am sitting at the soft cap on haste a large majority of the time. Also to note I am not sure if auras and totems stack with the haste effect from borrowed time, if they do then ~250 haste rating + borrowed time + auras = greatly beyond the soft cap which means crit becomes much more desirable (which gets into a different topic so I will stop here). However I will note that again you cannot rely 100% on borrowed time being up so gathering above 250 haste rating is not necessarily a bad idea.

Thus with the obtaining of new gear I find that I do not need much more haste and may be able to sacrifice haste from certain pieces of gear. Obviously one option to look at would be the cloak enchant seeing as how we have been provided with a possible new enchant. (assuming you are a tailor).

Anyway just some thoughts I had....

Has there been a decision upon which cloak enchant is now the best for Discipline? With 3.1 we have been provided with a new option for cloak enchants. Lightweave Embroidery - Spell - World of Warcraft averaging this out seems to equate to a constant ~80 spellpower on ones cloak.

However in a real world scenario this is not actually a constant spellpower bonus. There will be times when this is proc'd and times when it is not. Obviously in the role that we play...which is not a damage spellcaster, we can not simply take the average spellpower increase as a be all end all argument. For all we know in the dire spike dmg scenarios the proc might not be on thus not providing any help on healing a tank. However the 23 Haste rating on a cloak is a permanent always there bonus.

Though I will also add that with the new mechanic for Disc having no cooldown on PW:S I find that I have borrowed time up on myself a large majority at a time. Thus with only ~250 Spellpower + borrowed time, I am sitting at the soft cap on haste a large majority of the time. Also to note I am not sure if auras and totems stack with the haste effect from borrowed time, if they do then ~250 haste rating + borrowed time + auras = greatly beyond the soft cap which means crit becomes much more desirable (which gets into a different topic so I will stop here). However I will note that again you cannot rely 100% on borrowed time being up so gathering above 250 haste rating is not necessarily a bad idea.

Thus with the obtaining of new gear I find that I do not need much more haste and may be able to sacrifice haste from certain pieces of gear. Obviously one option to look at would be the cloak enchant seeing as how we have been provided with a possible new enchant. (assuming you are a tailor).

Anyway just some thoughts I had....

Personally I use Lightweave for throughput. As for the haste cap I mimic the thoughts here inConstantius' Overall 3.1 Priest Compendium:

"For a Disc priest, you gain 6% from Enlightenment, and an additional 5% from Wrath of Air, plus 3% from ret/moonkin aura, leaving you with only 11% to gain from gear to reach the hard GCD cap on PW:S (given Borrowed Time)."

Considering the frequency of my PW:S casts, I almost always have the 25% buff up, so the 50% GCD target works for me. Right now I'm hovering around 8-11% personal haste swapping out a couple slots. I still like crit, but will admit the more I cast PW:S the less I benefit from it. Considering both of these, SP gains even more attractiveness as a focus, and currently I'm quite addicted to it :)

It takes 3 Spirit to provide the same regen as 1 Mp5... Due to the lack of a secondary benefit for acquiring Spirit beyond mana regen it doesn't have sufficient reason to collect it. When it can be avoided it is probably best though in many cases you will get spirit because cloth gear has it.

Tonight I conducted a test, and fully raid-buffed the +100 spirit from [iTEM]Spark of Hope[/iTEM] provided 37 MP5, so the 3:1 ratio is certainly a worthy measuring stick. Unfortunately, I have noticed there are no cloth armor pieces from Ulduar with MP5 outside of cloaks. Basically for every new 3.1 MP5 piece you will be in direct competition with Shamans and Pallies, so good luck! ;)

I think 3 spirit to 1 Mp5 may be slightly high. Not too long ago, I also looked at the relative value of spirit vs mp5 across a variety of circumstances, including some optimistic and pessimistic FSR % rates and low and high levels of int and spirit. Basically I put it through a "stress test" to see what assumptions might matter a lot and which do not (aka sensitivity testing). I got a range of values, of course, but most were between 2.5 to 3.0 and concluded that the "true" value was likely in that range. It turns out blue gems put a value of 2.67 spirit = 1 mp5, which is within the 2.5 to 3.0 range.

Based on that, speaking like a statistician I'd say "there is no statistcially significant difference between spirit and mp5 for disc priests". Whenever a confidence interval for a difference crosses zero, you cannot conclude the difference is greater than (or less than) zero, or you might say a difference is "not detectable".

So I'm not trying to pick on the 3 to 1 ration, which is a nice simple rule that probably isn't off by much if at all. However, I do have a little problem with stating with confidence that mp5 is better on gear than spirit. It's really a wash and not worth worrying about. My advice is take either and don't worry about mp5 versus spirit.

Just to throw in a little more useful info, though, here are circumstance that may push you to favor one over the other:

Favoring mp5: FSR % expected to be over ~85%, and relatively low int.

Favoring spirit: FSR % expected to be under ~85%, and relatively high int.

Keep in mind that as stats increase from gear, spirit regen will scale but mp5 will not. So while right now, mp5 might be very slightly better by my reckoning (since my point estimate is ~2.75 spirit = 1 mp5), as gear improves it will take less spirit to equal 1 mp5. So even if you think spirit isn't as good at the moment, the difference is very slight and spirit is more "future proof".

I am trying to make a log parser in Excel that shows the effect of Power Word: Shield, Pain Suppression, Divine Aegis etc. Does anyone know a program or a site like webstats that can do this?

I am surprised there hasn't been a response to my question regarding taking 1 or 2 pts in Holy Reach... and while fiddling with my specc a couple of times since 3.1, I continue to see it being extremely useful in 10 and 25man Ulduar with all the aoe raid dmg for virtually every fight in Ulduar.

My priest is an inscriptionist and this gives me the ability to swap between the PoH glyph and Holy Nova glyph at will. In 10man, the PoH glyph definitely is more useful for me since there are fewer healers to go around and it enables me to be a better raid healer if we have a holy pally on the run to support MT healing. In 25man, the Holy Nova glyph has been particularly useful in fights like XT, Kologarn, and Thorim where there is more moving/increased cast times and there are more healers better designed for the large aoe heals. The DA proccs x 3, 4, and 5 is an added bonus when using PoH or Holy Nova. The increased range I get from Holy Reach significantly improves my effective raid healing ability from everything I've seen. I believe I get far more benefit from that than I would from reduced mana cost on penance(which is already such a cheap spell to cast) and greater heal (which I rarely, if ever, use as disc.) My other glyphs are PW:S and Penance.

I also just want to comment on the discussion going on about the disc priest's role in the raid and the flash heal vs greater heal debate.

I have read the arguments to flash vs greater since WotLK came out and made flash heal a comparable spell to greater heal. It seems split down the middle on which is better to use and perhaps depends really on the healer make-up in each raid team. Serendipity almost requires Holy priests to use flash heal sometimes and I would agree as Holy, greater heal is a more beneficial spell. However as disc specc'd, with any pts in imp flash heal(which you pretty much need to have at least 1pt in), BT, and the inability to get the huge throughput from greater heal that Holy priests are capable of, my flash heal heals for a little over half what greater heal does for less than half the mana in under 1sec cast time with BT. With a faster cast time and a greater chance to crit on targets low on health (which is really when it counts and doesn't just end up as overheal anyways) flash offers more DA procc chances/second additionally. Greater heal just isn't fast enough to be worth paying more than twice the mana cost of flash heal even with BT/Divine Fury. In 25man raiding, if I were to try to PW:S and then cast greater heal, even at a 1.3- 1.5sec cast time, it would all be overheal with the speed at which our raid healers heal up dmg. (Admittedly, we have some great healers on our raid team) And when I used to use GH more, I often saw people dying literally right before GH landed, with server-side latency and the really big amounts of damage raiders can take, the faster heal, even if a little smaller, is far more likely to save someone's life while the other healers slower working heals can finish topping off the target. This is what makes a disc priest so useful in a raid imho: our ability to react so quickly to prevent death/dmg to raid members. (Something that others have said here before me)

We are at 11/14 in 10man Ulduar and 7/14 in 25man. (we skipped Ignis and have killed Hodir and Auriaya) I have had an opportunity to change my healing assignments on most fights during attempts to see where I fit better as a healer. And at this point, I would have to agree that Disc priests are really more like resto druids in 3.1 in the sense that we aren't truly tank healers or raid healers. A disc priest can provide support to a tank *and* mitigate large amounts of the incoming aoe dmg by using PW:S on raid members. On fights like Hodir, where there is massive aoe dmg incoming to everyone, my healing rotation is more like keep PoM and PW:S on the tank, Penance tank on CD, then PW:S and mass dispel the raid in between PoM and Penance CDs. During Frozen Blows, I then switch to casting BT'd PoHs to assist in raid healing.

I rarely cast flash heal or greater heal in 25mans unless primary tank/raid healers are dead. The better use of my GCD would be to shield someone else who is also low on health while waiting on my Penance and PoM CDs, or to use BT'd PoHs. Particularly since the PW:S glyph instant heal usually adds enough health to the target to nearly top them up and a raid healer is almost always already mid-cast to finish the job.

And on a fight like Kologarn, I am assigned almost exclusively to preventing/healing raid dmg as my PW:S will absorb over 2 full ticks of his eye beams giving plenty of time for people to react and move and PW:S + Penance is great for healing Gripped people. This is also another great fight for Holy Reach, particularly when using Divine Hymn, allowing it to hit virtually everyone on the bridge.

And admittedly, I've only had 2 weeks of experience so far in the new content so further down the line, some of this could change, but I am definitely enjoying playing a disc priest enormously with the new talent changes.

Regarding flash vs greater as disc priest, I have been wondering the same thing.

Before 3.1 when DA didnt stack, I wanted as big a DA as possible, which made try out Greater Heal after a PW:S to crit as much as possible. Only problem was that DA would be overwritten by the next crit from a smaller heal.

Also many times when I see the tank go low I catch myself wanting to heal him with a big heal and resulting in me pushing greater heal which often means tank dead, coz its just too slow in that situation.

So I am considering removing greater heal from my toolbar, because it often gets me in trouble.

Flash has bigger crit chance (sometimes), and DA stacks now. I think I am gonna use my 5 points in Divine fury somewhere else.

Regarding getting getting crit gear or leaving out crit coz we shield much now... Since we have a haste soft cap of 50% and fully raidbuffed we only require 11% haste from gear, then I would like to go for more crit and thereby getting DA up faster. Spellpower being the most important ofc.

EDIT:

Hmm 11% haste from gear was calculated like:

50% soft cap.

Enlightenment 3/3 = 6% haste

Totem WoA = 5% haste

Boomkin aura = 3% haste

Borrowed Time = 25% haste

Haste from gear needed = 50 - (6 + 5 + 3 + 25) = 11 % haste

But shouldnt it be calculated like:

1.5 / (1.06 * 1.05 * 1.03 * 1.25) = 1.043, so haste from gear should only be 4.3%

From - Casting speed - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Note: Haste rating stacks additively with itself but haste stacks multiplicatively. That means that if you have 158 haste rating, you will have +10% haste, no matter how many sources and items that haste rating comes from. If you then use troll Berserking for +30% haste, you would have 110% * 130% = 143% haste.

And see moonkin-haste-cap