Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamlet

Moonkin Beginner Guide (obsolete; use the TTT article now (in my sig))

484 posts in this topic

No. Brain before posting, even just a little. iFF is 3% crit to all of your spells any time an FF is up. If you have a feral tank, they'll put it up. If you have a feral DPS, they'll put it up. If you have another moonkin and no Spriest, one of you will put it up. In fact the only reason that FF wouldn't be up is if your only other Druids in the raid are Trees, and you have a different class putting up the 5% armor debuff (CoW or Sting from a Wasp). Otherwise, you should be putting it up anyway, because that 5% armor is a great raid debuff. And even then, if all the raid debuff slots are covered, you should STILL put it up because 3% crit personally is worth spending a GCD every 5 minutes.

And 3% crit to all spells is just plain better than iIS, or Brambles, or any of the other "filler" talents after you've gotten all the necessary ones.

Reading this, I still have a doubt (maybe for my bad english skill). Until now, I've always put iFF on bosses cause it gives +3% hit to everyone and +3% crit to me. But... if the iFF up on target isn't my one but the FF of another raid member? Will it (not my FF) gives me the +3% crit? (of course I always go with iFF talents)

I just don't know if I've to cast it by myself if i want the +3% personal crit.

Thanks, bye.

You quoted your own answer. If there is both a spriest and a feral debuffing the mob for you, you lose almost nothing by putting your IFF on the target. However if either are missing you should apply it.

I have the habit of putting up IFF before anyone but the tank has touched the mob (sometimes before him.) I think it's a good habit to have because waiting for Misery and missing an IS or MF on my opening rotation is pretty annoying.

He actually didn't answer himself. And yes, it's a valid question that got answered by GC a few months ago. If you are talented into iFF and there is any FF or FFF on the target, you get the 3% crit.

He actually didn't answer himself. And yes, it's a valid question that got answered by GC a few months ago. If you are talented into iFF and there is any FF or FFF on the target, you get the 3% crit.

Much thanks for the clear answer!

What about the idol for insect swarm instead of starfire?

There are other posts with the math on why this is the case, but in short, the Starfire idol is always superior to the IS idol.

EDIT: Here's some links with more detailed information:

Erdluf's post in the earlier LK MK guide thread

Gray Matter: Guide to Moonkin Idols

Of course, make sure to bank an IS idol just in case it gets buffed in a minor patch.

Graylo's math is wrong. The SF and IS idols are a buff to spellpower, not base damage. The SF idol confuses people because it gives a 1.0 coefficient, as it's not affected by Wrath of Cenarius. The IS idol gets a full 1.2 (0.2/tick) coefficient.

It's still weaker than Shooting Star for any normal purpose, of course.

Graylo's math is wrong. The SF and IS idols are a buff to spellpower, not base damage. The SF idol confuses people because it gives a 1.0 coefficient, as it's not affected by Wrath of Cenarius. The IS idol gets a full 1.2 (0.2/tick) coefficient.

It's still weaker than Shooting Star for any normal purpose, of course.

I did some quick testing and realized you are correct. I will change my math. Though, it didn't materially alter my results. It only increased the DPS by 7 I think.

I would still argue that SF is an increase to base damage instead of Spell Power. If it was spell power it should be modified by Wrath of Cenarious. It might be interesting to open a bug report for it to see what happens.

I did some quick testing and realized you are correct. I will change my math.

However, I would still argue that SF is an increase to base damage instead of Spell Power. If it was spell power it should be modified by Wrath of Cenarious. It might be interesting to open a bug report for it to see what happens.

Oh, hi, didn't know you posted here. I just said the same in a reply on your blog.

The SF Idol issue is academic, I guess. I was just explaining why it's consistent for it to work the way it does, even though it says "spellpower" in the tooltip (note that Wrath one says "damage" in the tooltip, as Wrath's base coefficient is less than 1). Wrath of Cenarius doesn't technically increase your coefficient, it increases the damage of your spell by a % of your character sheet spellpower--which is usually the same thing, but it's less clear that it should apply to the Idol. They seem to have chosen (intentionally or not) to have such talents not apply in such situations. TBC Trees know that Idol of the Emerald Queen worked the same way.

wow armory acting up...gear now shows balance spec...sorry. can you look at my gear to find a problem? I cant get dps to break 1.8. I would think my dps should be around 2.5 easy, right?

The World of Warcraft Armory

You need hit rating

and download squawk&awe

The bonus damage from spell power on the Druid ability Thorns has been reduced by half.

So it seems that bramble lost a lot of interest. Based on previous calculation, it should now be a 0.6+0.45=1.05%increse dps on 3 talents points, so less than 0.35%dps by point, less than owlkin frenzy

So it seems that bramble lost a lot of interest. Based on previous calculation, it should now be a 0.6+0.45=1.05%increse dps on 3 talents points, so less than 0.35%dps by point, less than owlkin frenzy

That depends on the encounter, a lot of encounters have no unavoidable direct damage. I still see the benefit for Brambles out performing OF, edging out a little in the overall scheme. Looking thru WWS I can't find a single fight outside of Mimiron where OF provides more than .35%dps.

Owlkin is random benefit depending on the fight and depending on the procs you get. Brambles is a 'passive' benefit (always the same on every fight pretty much).

The thorns aspect of brambles is quite nice, but IMO an aware resto druid will probably be the one picking it up. I use it in my offspec and don't really feel like I give up much at all for it (I thought NG was weak for resto before the change, which was a significant nerf from their point of view, I don't miss it).

Arewethion, thank you for the Tuskarr's Vitality tip.

At first I thought, "Are you nuts? Losing 12 Hit and Crit?"

But after reading a few posts in this thread and thinking this through, I am also certain it is indeed the best option if you are at the progress stage where you are raiding Ulduar regularly.

If I remember correctly, Ignis the Furnace Master is the only boss where I just stand and nuke. Every other encounter requires a great deal of movement because of chasing adds and multiple fight mechanics that need to be used or avoided.

Why would you not continue to spam wrath until the Eclipse cooldown finishes?

I would normally agree with you because the more Wraths you cast compared to Starfires has the chance to equal more constant NG uptime. However, I had low spell haste (275) and recently was able to change some Naxx gear for Ulduar gear and now have another 3% (380) haste at the cost of 2% crit. At 275 my Wraths were 1.3s without NG up and 1.1s with it up. This being said adding another 3% will undoubtedly lower my Wrath casts to 1.2s at least without NG (I cannot check because my time is out and so is my money for 5 days -.-). I believe his reasoning behind continuing to spam Starfire is he has higher haste and Wrath would be at it's 1 second GCD cap and therefore his amount of haste would be wasted on Wrath vs. Starfire.

Through reading other boomkin forums on this site I ascertained that the haste cap for a solar rotation would be somewhere around 400 and formed my theory of his continued Starfire spam on that point.

Also from reading the site it seems everyone uses the DoT's religiously and while I do agree that they are good I found that my in game dps was higher without using them and when I told other boomkins to test it they found the same thing. Does anyone have an explanation for this other than we possibly have crappy rotations? I currently don't spec into IIS because I found that my dps was lower and since I was forgoing them I could use the points more wisely. I figured that once in Ulduar and upon gathering t8 4 piece bonus that IIS would be worth having because I would always have IS up for the 4 piece to proc.

Has or does anyone but me Idol Twist between the Wrath and SF idols? there's no GCD on weapon swaps mid fight so I can't think of a reason not to.

I do get some awful Eclipse proc's and can often wind up hurling several wraths before I get a Eclipse so I wonder why not? or there's those times I missing clipping that last Starfire and it procs off a solar eclipse. Any reason I shouldn't swap back and forth?

Since you can't switch mid-cast it's only worth doing while casting instants or moving.

I never really got the advice about spell power food:

Spell power food = 46 SP = 59.8 points

Hit food = 40 hit rating = 80 points

According to the information in the guide it should be better to get hit rating food.

I always use hit food for bosses and nothing for trash. This gives me all the hit I need and I don't carry a lot of wasted Hit Rating for all the trash. I socket everything with Runed Scarlets and Runed Dragon's Eyes. So giving up 2½ of those to recover the hit rating is hugely inefficient.

I realise that you may end up with gear where you get too much Hit Rating, but if so then let it be, but pursuing it religiously as these guides tend to advice, is poor advice.

PS: Don't say "trash doesn't matter" because that is where you spend 80% of a raid so it does matter in my opinion.

I don't use food at all in T7 content so it's more effective to be hit capped thru gear than relying on food. Either way you cut it, you get about the same bonuses using food and gear with less hit or gear that hit caps you and spl pwr food.

Has or does anyone but me Idol Twist between the Wrath and SF idols? there's no GCD on weapon swaps mid fight so I can't think of a reason not to.

I do get some awful Eclipse proc's and can often wind up hurling several wraths before I get a Eclipse so I wonder why not? or there's those times I missing clipping that last Starfire and it procs off a solar eclipse. Any reason I shouldn't swap back and forth?

As far as I know switching idols won't let you cast any spells for at least your GCD.

Thanks a lot for this nice conclusion!

After reading this, I just started leveling my (almost forgotten) lvl70 druid. So please go on keeping the first post up to date :-)

Two noob-questions left:

1. Does Glyph of Insect Swarm or Glyph of Moonfire provide the higher dps benefit?

2. What about Glyph of Focus? Is it worth mentioning when using Starfall a lot?

Glyph of Moonfire is the highest dps glyph we have.

Glyph of Insect Swarm is a close second.

Both Glyph's of Starfall and Starfire are pretty much equals relative to the encounter.

Since you're 70 leveling as Balance to 80 I assume, I would suggest Glyph of Focus, Innervate, and Starfall.