Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamlet

Combat Mechanics, 3.0

381 posts in this topic

Oh really? I'd always heard the (13 + Spi/4) figure, but had only confirmed it for Mages. Anyone know the details on those other classes?

I know this is going to sound strange, and I apologise for the lack of hard maths, because I can't find the parses anywhere on my PC. But, on level 63 monsters, has anyone noticed that Curse of Elements seems to drop Frostbolts resists rate to about 4/5%, rather than the 17% it should be?

I dunno if I'm going mad, but the one MC run where we did parse it, once CoE hit a mob the resist rates fell by a lot. Never worked out if this was because frostbolt was binary, because CoE had some "other effect" on level resists, or if it were just one of those runs where you can throw your parse out of the window because the RNG has decided, like a fairy from on high, to bless you with crits and big hits...

Sorry for the lack of accuracy in my post, I just want to know if anyone else has experianced this at all.

Ok. This seems to jive with what I got very briefly by asking a few people to tell me their Spirit ticks.

Mage + BoS + AS + 8/8 Arcanist = (100 - 15% - 30%) * 60% = 33% threat. Well, not for long, thanks to 1.11.

What is the AS in that equation? Is the 60%? I'm confused there too.

Also, how come you aren't using the agro thresholds as part of agro comparisons? If I remember correctly, ranged has a 1.3x threshold, while melee has a 1.1x. Wouldn't that give ranged another advantage? 1.3^-1 in this case.

EDIT: Durrr...arcane subtelty. Why are you applying it as a generic threat modifier? Only works for arcane damage spells, no?

Also, I believe MD imp aura is one of those that stacks additively.

Further question I hadn't really thought about before--how does Fade work in the context of the 30% rule?

It works weird. Even minutes into a pull I can pull aggro and fade it right back off to the tank. Happens on green wyrmguard pulls often. Logically I would have had to have 30% more threat than the tank to pull aggro, and would have to drop to 91% of his threat to send it back to him, assuming he stays in melee range. After 2 minutes, that difference should be a lot more than 850 threat or whatever Fade is.

Also, fade never seems to dump aggro on anyone but the tank, even if someone else is ahead of the tank in aggro (as evidenced by them pulling aggro very quickly afterwards).

My random theory is that it does something strange like remove you from the aggro list, calculate aggro, then readd you at the lower level. It definatly seems to do less if it doesn't make you lose aggro immediatly.

Just noticed that on weapon skill, you didn't write that if you have 310 skill, glancing blows do full damage.

Also a note somewhere saying that if you have 440 defense you cannnot be critted may be useful.

Just noticed that on weapon skill, you didn't write that if you have 310 skill, glancing blows are removed.

Also a note somewhere saying that if you have 440 defense you cannnot be critted may be useful.

Isn't it more accurate to say that you'll still get glancing blows, but they'll do full damage?

Isn't it more accurate to say that you'll still get glancing blows, but they'll do full damage?

Yes.

Important distinction too, due to the corresponding existence of a crit cap (max crit = 100 - miss - dodge - parry - block - glance, ~30% + +hit from the back, 20% + +hit in the front).

Someone just told me that CoC and FN have no special modifiers for their spell coefficient (it was posted that they do .8 and .2 respectively).

Also since you listed some spell exceptions, maybe list others?

Pyroblast has a special coefficient, which had its coefficient adjusted outside of the normal rules.

Paladins have special coefficients for their Seals/Judgements.

Frostbolt is close to its default coefficient: .81 instead of .86. I can't remember what CoC gets off the top of my head. :/

Frostbolt is close to its default coefficient: .81 instead of .86. I can't remember what CoC gets off the top of my head. :/

Haven't checked recently, but I think it was 3/7 * 1/3 * .8 (instant cast, AoE, strong snare).

Frost Nova has a special modifer--it gets almost nothing. Otherwise my R1 Frost Nova would be hitting for well over 100.

Also, fade never seems to dump aggro on anyone but the tank, even if someone else is ahead of the tank in aggro (as evidenced by them pulling aggro very quickly afterwards).

At least this part of what you said is not correct in my experiences (for a knockback mob it usually is but that is because the next person was lowe then the tank before the knockback). Usually if you have something that priests pulled aggro on it will make the fade rounds where each priest fades it onto the next one.

Haven't checked recently, but I think it was 3/7 * 1/3 * .8 (instant cast, AoE, strong snare).

Frost Nova has a special modifer--it gets almost nothing. Otherwise my R1 Frost Nova would be hitting for well over 100.

You get Rank 1 Frost Nova at, like, level 6-8, so it won't get the full multiplier.

You get Rank 1 Frost Nova at, like, level 6-8, so it won't get the full multiplier.

Does level affect spell multiplier? It certainly doesn't seem to for R5 Frostbolt.

There's a cutoff. (Is it 20? 30?) Any skill that you learned below that level cutoff receives a drastically reduced +dam/heal contribution.

Does level affect spell multiplier? It certainly doesn't seem to for R5 Frostbolt.

Rank 5 FB is learned past level 20. Any spell learned before 20 gets much less +damage/healing added to it.

Edit: Was too slow, but it is level 20 for the cut-off.

There's a cutoff. (Is it 20? 30?) Any skill that you learned below that level cutoff receives a drastically reduced +dam/heal contribution.

Ah, okay. Actually, I guess I vaguely knew that, otherwise I'd be using R1 Frostbolt instead of R5 when out of mana (Half the +dmg bonus in 2/5 the time).

I'll remember to check high-rank FN when I get on. And that reminds me, what's the current consensus on the difference in efficacy between R1 and R4 Frost Nova?

One thing I've seen in several combat-mechanics threads, including this one, is the assertion that crits can't be blocked, dodged or parried.

And up until now I've taken that more or less as a given, especially since I haven't ever seen it happen myself and so many people who seem fairly knowledgeable says that's how it works.

Just today, though, I saw the following message in my combat-log:

Your Eviscerate crits Flamewaker for some number (55 blocked)

(Sorry about the "some number" part there, but I'm working from memory has I haven't managed to locate the screenshot of it yet).

What's going on here?

Is there some oddity happening, or have people been mistaken about this mechanic? Or has something changes recently?

EDIT: Aaand, I'm a bit of a muppet and pressed the wrong button when taking the screenshot and by the time I realized it had scrolled past out of my chat-window, so unfortunately I have no actual proof of this. I am, however, 100% sure I didn't misread it, as I was very surprised to see it and triple-checked before trying to screenshot it.

That is going from a Player -> Mob, so it may work differently going from Mob -> Player. Best way to determine this is to unequip all your defense gear and get something to hit you while you're blocking.

As i recall, someone did this (I don't know what their defense was while testing this though) during the bugged shield block period on one of the mobs in the blasted lands and over 1000 hits blocked none were crits.

**Looking for the link to the post in these forums about it **

Edit - Ok so it was deadwind pass and 2000 hits.

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/viewtopic.php?id=6435

Yeah, sorry. I have to clean that up a bit about the differences between mob vs. player and player vs. mob.

Nice post, trying to built some kind of calculator atm using those formulas and it seem to me that the Glancing Blow formula of

G: (.7 + Max(Skill-300,10)*.03)*DH

Should be using a min instead of a max? Using max seem to mean they always do full damage.

Thorb

www.starsonata.com

Nice post, trying to built some kind of calculator atm using those formulas and it seem to me that the Glancing Blow formula of

G: (.7 + Max(Skill-300,10)*.03)*DH

Should be using a min instead of a max? Using max seem to mean they always do full damage.

Thorb

www.starsonata.com

Right, Min.