Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morogoth

Warriors: Is Protection Spec Worth it?

185 posts in this topic

Hate to break it to you, but you're basically wrong.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=TZZEV0o

I just maxed *all* of the mitigation talents in the Protection tree, and it only took 16 points. And +10 defense is arguably not that helpful at all.

The benefit of going farther into protection is aggro generation, and nothing else. I would recommend looking at the talents next time, before giving your opinion.

You forgot an important point : no sane "16 points in rotection" tank will pass on defiance. And many will prefer last stand on mitigation talent. So, tough you theoretically could make a 16 point in proc warrior with most mitigation talents, it would be a very suboptimal choice

And the tank's dilemma is basically "MS" (so 31 arms) or full prot (since he looses the gem of the deep arms, he doesn't loose much on PVP/farm effectiveness by getting 15/20 points in arms instead of 30).

Except you didn't take the main talent people go 15 points into prot for, that being defiance. As well you don't have last stand which is a very effective "oh shit" talent. Most people who go 15 points into prot get the toughness talent but do not get anticipation. Improved Shield wall is another effective talent that isn't included in your build. The generic 15 points in prot is 5 in shield spec, 5 in toughness (or 3 to get imp bloodrage to get access to last stand) and then some combination of 1 point in imp shield block, last stand and defiance. The 15 points you listed would work well for a PW HS soaker, but it wouldn't be that good for actually tanking anything.

as a primary OT for patchwerk im running roughly 51-52% avoidance on his HS (WTB GoA:p). getting an extra 10 defense for me is me taking not 1% less hits but over 2% less hits. Id say thats quite huge. Its just like saying well 300 more armor only gives me 0.2% increase in mitigation when your going from 68.0 to 68.2% which is in fact a 0.625% increase. more then 3 times the amount "shown".

you said arguably so just had to argue some:)

Another thing to consider about Anticipation, though not entirely relevant in new content, is that you won't always be wearing "optimal tanking gear". The 10 points in anticipation provide you a buffer for resist-whore fights where you'll be losing more than 10 points in defense because you're wearing Dark Iron, or Ironweave or Glacial armor, or an Onyxia Scale Cloak.

Is this worth 5 talent points? Probably not. But it's not exactly a useless talent by any means.

While the bulk of the talents between 15 points and 31 points in the protection tree blow, Shield Slam has definitely made it worth it. I was a firm believer in the "31/5/15 can tank anything", and this is not necessarily false. But the difference in threat generation is amazing. I can tank against my guilds top DW Fury warrior without him holding back with shield slam and the two piece dreadnaught bonus. I checked out my KTL Threat Meter stats from Naxx the other night and my top threat generation skill was Shield Slam, at about 35% of total threat generated. Behind it was white damage, followed by sunder and revenge close behind that. Per point of rage Shield Slam generated twice as much threat as Sunder Armor.

Basically, everyone who says protection doesn't drastically increase mitigation is right for the most part. What it does do is allow your raid to step up their DPS in order to make encounters a bit smoother.

Edit: As for the Anticipation talent...I personally do not have it. My defense is sitting at 435 without it, and I trust my healers enough to cover me on the off chance that I take a crushing blow or two.

If you get a crit while your healers are stunned you just caused a wipe. And it was in your power to avoid it.

When learning bosses like Huhu or others who enrage, improved shield wall is a huge boost to those fights. It was one of the things I really missed when speccing out of protection spec. I consider last stand as an essential aswell, it has really saved the raid in my experience, not only by doing that 'instant heal' but by giving you 30% more hit points to absorb spikes!

And to mr origional character name above me, the boss caused the wipe! Sheesh

Neah, better play roulette with the buffs some nolifers bothered to farm...

Thanks realy much. You argument perfectly illustrates my point bount the exemplary valu of prot spec. I mean, can a non prot spec tank expect non shadow priest, top notch consumable that somewhat only compensate the lack of prot spec and so on.

Prt spec increases agro generation, mitigation and decreases guild drama. The last point is not the less important of the three

meh, stuff crits hard in Naxx. Feugen/Stalagg could tap me for 4-5k. I miss Defiance but I should have it back before long.

I can't compete on aggro with my guild's heavy Prot warriors unless I go 2h/dps gear, which kinda defeats the purpose. two Prot tanks, a couple hybrids, the rest pure dps = you'll be in good shape.