Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamlet

Anyone know the details of the C'Thun hotfix?

62 posts in this topic

Killed this new version tonight. I don't know why exactly, but it seemed leaps and bounds easier than the 'old' one. The 15 seconds of free positioning more than makes up for not being able to rez the dark glare noobs outside of druid rezzes.

For a guild that had only killed him a few times, the rez change was a big deal. It effectively changes the win condition on phase 1, and we had to raise the bar on a phase where we'd been complacent for a while.

We got wiped by a Giant Eye inside C'Thun's body. How often does this seem to be happening to people?

By the way, anyone ever killed him between vuln's? Was fun.

For a guild that had only killed him a few times, the rez change was a big deal. It effectively changes the win condition on phase 1, and we had to raise the bar on a phase where we'd been complacent for a while.

We got wiped by a Giant Eye inside C'Thun's body. How often does this seem to be happening to people?

By the way, anyone ever killed him between vuln's? Was fun.

Heh... our rogues attacking for CP and warriors attacking for Rage managed to get him to something like 94% before the first vuln. Was amusing.

Heh... our rogues attacking for CP and warriors attacking for Rage managed to get him to something like 94% before the first vuln. Was amusing.

Wow, 600% of his HP bar is a lot of damage in that much time. How long did you take to vuln?

We had him at 1% after two vulns, a few people took potshots at him. Some Priest Mind Blasted for 6 and he went down. I had considered ordering the raid to DPS him, but the numbers weren't right. He could have had as much as 199% HP (effectively), taking the duration of 4 vulns (3 mins) to bring down. Realistically longer, since the coordination would have been terrible. Since we can't survive that long ignoring tentacles, we were planning to just do it the normal way.

Yes, there is no OOC phase. The transform animation is clipped short, and C'Thun phase 2 just pops into place instead of the Eye as the Eye dies.

Is the "Eye of C'Thun dies." message in the combat log still there though?

We had two failed attempts and a kill tonight. ("What do you mean we actually have to pay attention and not die to stupid stuff in phase 1 again!?" And had a bunch of applicants with us.) All 3 pulls got us into phase 2, just with too many dead the first two tries -- made for some sloppy giant eye pickups.. Of probably 15-20 Giant Eye spawns throughout the course of those 3 runs, none were in the stomach.

Not that this is a high enough sample to be of any use. I'd imagine it's just a {number of people in the stomach} / {number of people in raid} chance to have a Giant Eye in the stomach.

To parrot what others are saying, on our first p1->p2 we had no visible out of combat period. A few people said they saw the -combat +combat from SCT really quickly, some others with SCT said they saw nothing. We were slow killing the p1 Claw Tentacles this time. Second and killing attempts we had about 3 seconds. Long enough to drink, switch gear, etc, not long enough to res.

Probably same as in 1.11: if you kill all the claw tentacles you get a quick break to drink and shift gear, if you leave claw tentacles up too long then you miss the window.

Afterthought: I hope they keep this pull method. It's so much nicer than even C'Thun 1.0. No need for a designated puller, or pull healers. No need to worry about giving anyone sufficient girth on the pull. Just run in fast and get to it. It's perfect.

Yeah, on our kill tonight we were OOC for like 2s between p1 and p2 I think. But only a couple people were dead so we just used druid rezzes. It felt really easy, but then again we've killed him almost 20 times by this point, so it should.

It won't happen all the time though. I had a different equipment set queued in itemrack and nothing got switched.

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.

Afterthought: I hope they keep this pull method. It's so much nicer than even C'Thun 1.0. No need for a designated puller, or pull healers. No need to worry about giving anyone sufficient girth on the pull. Just run in fast and get to it. It's perfect.

Im suprized people seriously ued this method, guess we live in a dark hole.

I always made the pull, with NR pot and PW:S, and a swiftness pot running to the 11 or 1 position (entering from 6 o'clock). If your "puller" is running to the far side noone has to stop to run around him, and as puller I never took more than 3 chained beams which I could survive with PW:S and a second NR pot anyway. I think the important detal is your "puller" running to the far side of the eye, not standing in the entrance making life much harder for everyone else.

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. If claws were all down last patch, you could have around 30 seconds out of combat time.

after several days' worth of attempts spread out over the last couple of months with zero progress past getting to phase 2 (oh shit, giant eye tentacles!? let's wipe!), we came in for the first time since 1.12 and got to 35% in two weakenings. the new pull method is much, much more idiot-proof.

and also that we have to be harsher on retard net issues.

Minor derail here (the main point of the thread has been addressed, looks like) - for some reason it never occurred to me in months of wiping how a part of the C'thun fight is like that paracute exercise thing that was pretty "popular" in fourth grade. I figure just about everyone has come up with the web/net analogy, but anyone think up it being paracutes? Especially if you ever did parachute in parachute, that really meshes up with the fight.

Parachute - where everyone spreads out in a ring grabbing the end of the parachute, and then you all run in circles and then throw your arms up, and duck under the parachute where it forms a big chamber that quickly will "crush" you. Lots of giggling is usually involved as I recall, and no OMFG U NOOB U CHAINED THE PARACHUTE ON ME, but analogies can only go so far.

Purely an "origin of gimmicks" question.

We killed him yesterday for the second time. There is definitely less margin for an error in p1 since you cannot rezz folks between the phases. Nevertheless, its still doable, since nobody should die in p1 ;) Oh and yes, if there are any tentacles left, they will keep you in combat, sure.

A completely different questions to those who have this boss on farm for some time now...can you kill him with two vulnerabilty phases only?

We killed him yesterday for the second time. There is definitely less margin for an error in p1 since you cannot rezz folks between the phases. Nevertheless, its still doable, since nobody should die in p1 ;) Oh and yes, if there are any tentacles left, they will keep you in combat, sure.

A completely different questions to those who have this boss on farm for some time now...can you kill him with two vulnerabilty phases only?

Yes, though its usually three. I remember on our first two kills it took four :(

our run before tonight we got him to 42% first vul .... usually we kill him in 2 vuls.. 3 if we lose some dps

Sorry for the bump but I observed some (interesting?!) behavior.

On our first new pull he started beaming <10sec from the pull, possibly attacking him starts the timer earlier than a 'body pull' would (we used to pull with a hunter in NR gear so ranged attacks = +combat sooner) ... anyway this didnt cause any wipes after we stopped being so relaxed about the new pull :)

On our second pull everything was going great, eye was on 60% odd - a green beam comes my way hitting for 3.3k i chug a major healing pot then die from a 2. something ground rupture - maybe if i had an NR pot up would I have survived (mage 4.8k hlt buffed i think) ... what worried me is usually the green beam damage is 2. something

Are the 3.3k green beams similar to the impossible cthun ?! .... needless to say we wiped to many deaths that time

The next try we seemed to have 2k green beams and everything was 'normal' ... 2 weakens in stage 2 - job done!

Was interested to see if anyone had experienced the 3k+ green beams and if indeed the 'impossible' incarnation was that value ... seems extremely odd that it could change between pulls too!

Wow, 600% of his HP bar is a lot of damage in that much time. How long did you take to vuln?

We had him at 1% after two vulns, a few people took potshots at him. Some Priest Mind Blasted for 6 and he went down. I had considered ordering the raid to DPS him, but the numbers weren't right. He could have had as much as 199% HP (effectively), taking the duration of 4 vulns (3 mins) to bring down. Realistically longer, since the coordination would have been terrible. Since we can't survive that long ignoring tentacles, we were planning to just do it the normal way.

We run a pretty melee heavy raid with 6 warriors at any given time and 5 rogues. Not sure that it was 94%, especially given that Nurfed's unit frames are a bit screwy as far as raid boss percentages (for whatever reason, they try to insert a 0% and skip a few percents towards the top of the bar). 97 or 98 would probably be more accurate with other unit frames.

I'd estimate that our first vuln took at least 3 minutes (6 tentacle spawns, probably more). We also don't put melee on the Giant Tentacles other than the tank generally (it's a weird strategy that's tough to explain on the intarweb, but it works for us), and have them focusing on small eyes around him.

Still, I can't quite figure out how it happened because (as you say) that's a huge amount of damage there (200-300% of his HP since it's a 99% invuln), but it did.

Our first kill was two vulns... we were buffed to all hell and were frustrated after about 7 hours of work on him that day and a couple months of farming the Emps (we killed him my second week in the guild, after having xferred, so I missed a large part of the earlier frustration).

Essentially, we got him to 46% (again, with the stupid Nurfed Unit Frames %'s, some people said it was 44) on our first vuln, and at the second vuln everyone DPSed him to the ground... maybe not ideal because, as we found out this past week when we did that and he went invuln at 8% when we were trying for two vulns (though, thank god, we managed to stick together until we got him vuln again to win, was another frustrating night), having everyone at close to 0 mana and NOT pulling it off is a *bad* thing.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. If claws were all down last patch, you could have around 30 seconds out of combat time.

That does make sense. Maybe we can try to remember to test it out this weekend.

Now someone figure out how to get Ouro to skip submerges.

11000 dps and a 3min first stage (to get him below 20% before he tries :p)

We heard someone mention here that DPSing him by more than 25% by 90 seconds is what keeps him up. Since we started watching, all evidence has pointed in that direction.

Also: The small claw thing is another thing that we realized before the patch when trying to do the mid-combat rezz thing. When the eye dies, burning small claws is UTMOST priority and we generally get that 2-3 second combat halt, though not enough to rezz, of course.

Pretty sure I can confirm that. At 2-3%, we have everyone in range of Claw Tentacles switch to them while the raid finished off the eye. Usually gives us drink time, unless we get an unlucky spawn.

As a healer, I found that not having any active HoTs on other players during the phase switch helped getting OOC as well.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the Large Eye Tentacles? We've 1 or 2 shotted C'thun every week for the last 2 months before 1.12 and never really had any problems with the pull. But since they hotfixed the pull we have encountered a totally different problem. In past, the Large Eye Tentacles would form and wait 1-2 seconds before they would start to green beam. Now they are shooting the instant that they spawn (sometimes before they've even fully rendered) it seems.

That was consistently wiping the 3-4 melee per minute that were finishing up the last Giant Claw Tentacle and causing us to call a wipe.

Is anyone else noticing this change? If so, how are you dealing with it? (and the simple retort "Stay spread out!" is elementary, but not entirely applicable if you are trying to burn down GCT's as quickly as possible).

Obviously there are tons of ways different classes can keep the small eyes from beaming - intercept, shield bash, feral charge, bash, kick, etc. - but I can't recall Phase 2 being any more difficult than it used to be.

I guess I can't really imagine there being a trick to it. Maybe just make sure a few people stay put instead of chasing giants and keep your timers handy?

Has anyone else noticed a change in the Large Eye Tentacles? We've 1 or 2 shotted C'thun every week for the last 2 months before 1.12 and never really had any problems with the pull. But since they hotfixed the pull we have encountered a totally different problem. In past, the Large Eye Tentacles would form and wait 1-2 seconds before they would start to green beam. Now they are shooting the instant that they spawn (sometimes before they've even fully rendered) it seems.

We're still learning the encounter and this wiped us on our best attempt- 30%, about to get him to a third Vuln, then an eye tentacle popped up and chain beamed immediately killing about 6 people. Only if it was 1.11 again, with OOC rez time too! :(