Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erving

Rating?

118 posts in this topic

That's not unreasonable. So, if that's right, at that rate a Blackhand's Breadth would be 1% crit in the hands of a level 70, 1.5% for a level 65. It'll encourage a lot of gear churn, but that's fine. It gives Blizzard a chance to get some of their scaling mechanics right this time around. The alternative would be a game full of hit-capped people and uncrittable tanks at which point you might as well get rid of stats like +hit and +def entirely.

Yep it could be a very good change. Will be interisting whether pre expansion items start at 81% effectiveness from kaubels formula on +3 mobs (and therefore stay at 100% effectiveness when farming level 60's as a 65) or start at 100% effectiveness even if we want to try and grind +5 mobs then immediately get lowered to 92% once we are grinding the same mobs but they are now only +4.

If Blizzard is sensible it'll be your crit rating versus the mobs resilience, and the mobs resilience is a constant so your chance to crit on the tooltip might change, your chance to crit mobs of a certain level doesn't. The other way around would just be silly and take away some reward from levelling.

"Woot, ding! ... Hey, why am I suddenly weaker?"

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. When you were level 20, a rogue could find an item with 5 agility, and it would be great. At 40, 10 agility would be good, because it'd be more AP and just generally better for the rogue. Hed do more damage with it than before. However, with crit, there are caps. If you want to improve on blackhand's, you need to give three or four crit. If all items had to scale this way, you would have situations where crit was the norm, and hits were the exception. That's not really the best way to go about it. I would speculate that rating scales not with your level, but the targets level, allowing something similar to higher level mobs having more hp so you need more AP to kill them in a reasonable amount of time.

Mage's aura from Atiesh isn't looking too hot now. :(

I strongly suspect that Atiesh will be exempted from the general changeover to "rating". The teleport ability indicates that Blizzard is aware that the vast majority of Atieshes will be created post-expansion or very very close to before the expansion; I don't think it's intended to be completely obsoleted within three months, but rather a prize that will still be strong in the initial level 70 raids.

The other reason to think that is simply that "orange" is still a major buzz point, especially as Atiesh was the long-awaited caster legendary, but they can only keep going back to that well if "orange" remains special. Flushing the caster legendary away within 3 months seems counter-productive.

OK I'm crying now. Well, this is what I'm telling folks so the can freak out now not later, and prepare:

First off, some of you when you see this are gonna freak out, scream bloody murder etc etc... Well, to fight mudflation, they gotta do this, and to stop us from having 50% crit at lvl 70, and finally, to give us incentive to get gear sooner rather than later. I really don't see any way to get around doing something like this, it'll hurt at first, but pay off later.

Leaked ALPHA info:

Crit bonus Level of player:

1 60

.92 61

.87 62

.81 63

.75 64

So it appears to be a steady .07 decrease in effectiveness per level, assuming blizz's usual rounding oddness. The 1% to crit gets converted to a crit rating of, say, 100. That stays constant, but the ammount of crit rating required to get 1% crit bonus increases enough each level to chop off .07 crit per level.

This means items with stats converted to the rating system will decay in effectiveness faster than oher items.

Stats that I know are being converted to ratings:

tohit - crit - spell tohit - spell crit

Stats that I haven't seen confirmed as being converted yet (but I bet they are!):

parry - dodge - defense (I think this is the new "resilience" rating)

Yeah... warriors get the worst of it I think.

An item example:

Don Julio's Band

11 stamina

1 crit

1 tohit

16 attack power

This item has 2 abilities that are decaying as I level. Assuming I don't respec to Lightning Reflexes, it'll be outmoded by an Agi ring I have at level 61. At level 64 it'll have lost 25% off both the crit and tohit, making other stat based epics it once outshined quite superior.

So be prepared! For the expac, the items that will last the longest will be the non-rating converted ones. Strong rating gear will give a boost for the first few levels, but then you'll want those stats.

Rob: Remember that as you level, the amount of agility required per point of crit also increases. *Probably* not as quickly, but who's to say?

Erm, I've mentioned this before, but FWIW one of my friends who works QA for Blizz has indicated that a lvl70 hunter "agility spec'd" (whatever that means) could approach 50% crit. I found this out probably 4-5 months ago while drunk at a party, so obviously much has changed, but the fact that they were toying around with those kinds of crit levels is interesting.

Kalman:

Yeah, but us evil hunters get 2 RAP for each Agi, and with LR, our Agi pool is hooooge... leading up to probiscus' comment :)

With current talents, 3000 RAP and 50% crit is well within reason given current gear + implied upgrades along the way + buffs. Tier 4 epix should make it very very easy, the new buffs that are coming out, and new talents... yeah. Hunters will be critting > 50% in raids.

So is the general consensus is that the Rating -> Percentage conversion depends only on your own level? While it seems like it would make more sense based on the mobs level, I am not sure how that would work with the Haste Rating, which I assume is replacing attack speed mods (as few as there are). It would just seems wrong for a Haste Rating to depend on anything besides your own level.....

Rating -> Percentage is dependent solely on your own level from the information I've gotten. If you want an in-game example to compare it to, think of the way Agi -> Crit changes for melee classes as they level.

Rob, I doubt hunters will see 50% crit, given that only Karazhan+ gear is quoted as being an improvement over Naxx gear, and Naxx gear won't allow 50% crit as is, even before it begins to scale down with level.

I guess I can't see why people are all that shocked that their gear with ilvl less than 70 would get replaced on the way to level 70. Don Julio's is a level 65 item. Tier 1 gear is ilvl 66. Tier 2 is ilvl 76, so you will probably keep a lot of that gear or better until you start picking up epics at level 70. Where's the surprise in that?

Well that depends somewhat Nite_Moogle. While likely AP and +damage will keep Tier2/3 gear viable through 70, converted Crit/Hit/etc... ratings may be scaled up to be Level 70 appropriate, or they may just remain at the proper values for level 60 gear. I am not familiar enough with melee/Hunter scaling to know if that would seriously gimp their gear, it doesn't have that much of an effect on Caster gear.

Rating -> Percentage is dependent solely on your own level from the information I've gotten. If you want an in-game example to compare it to, think of the way Agi -> Crit changes for melee classes as they level.

Rob, I doubt hunters will see 50% crit, given that only Karazhan+ gear is quoted as being an improvement over Naxx gear, and Naxx gear won't allow 50% crit as is, even before it begins to scale down with level.

I said "+ buffs" because combining shammy GoA + pally BoK + upgrades to those buffs + possible new feral druid buffs (and more Agi from new Mark of Wild) + more Agi from Elixir + Lightning Reflexes... well, it's just plain crazy how much that is going to add up to!

BoK + LR is actually multiplicative, so thats 27.5% Agi increase of all the previous 100s Agi's in that buff list.

And rogues will be getting a 21% agility increase (new sub talent plus Kings) and require only slightly more than half as much base agility per point crit, but I don't expect them to allow rogue 50% crit rates either. If the scaling follows the way I'd expect, hunters will be looking at 60+ agi per % crit at level 70, which eliminates much of the benefit of the buffs in the first place.

We'll have to see, of course, but I think the whole point of this "rating" system is to avoid 50%+ crit rates.

And rogues will be getting a 21% agility increase (new sub talent plus Kings) and require only slightly more than half as much base agility per point crit, but I don't expect them to allow rogue 50% crit rates either. If the scaling follows the way I'd expect, hunters will be looking at 60+ agi per % crit at level 70, which eliminates much of the benefit of the buffs in the first place.

We'll have to see, of course, but I think the whole point of this "rating" system is to avoid 50%+ crit rates.

Yup, that's precisely why they're being implemented.

Yup, that's precisely why they're being implemented.

Hunters will be critting > 50% in raids.

I'm confused.

Talent's are not done yet. I'm also guessing Blizzard will put them up as soon as they are.

Yeah, but us evil hunters get 2 RAP for each Agi, and with LR, our Agi pool is hooooge... leading up to probiscus' comment smile

Rumour has it hunters only get 1 RAP per agi in the expansion, so, what you've said isn't quite correct.

Rumour has it hunters only get 1 RAP per agi in the expansion, so, what you've said isn't quite correct.

Rumour has it the first raid boss in TBC that's going to be beatable is a giant naked Tigole who drops a 40-slot resist armour bag.

(Apologies to the mods!)

I've also heard the 1 RAP per agi rumor. To counter it current ranged weapons are getting boosted damage. Hmm maybe R14 or a Huhu bow isn't such a bad idea.