Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashen

Raiding and Working with Healers

58 posts in this topic

Our fun Satura trick: Put a stealthed rogue just to the left as you come into the room. Have him use distract to fix 1 or 2 adds as they leave that corner. Then charge. If done correct, Satura is all the way on the other side of the room by the time you agro the guards.

In an effort to better understand Distract (I have never played a rogue):

Can Distract be resisted or otherwise FUBAR'd, resulting in a pull?

In an effort to better understand Distract (I have never played a rogue):

Can Distract be resisted or otherwise FUBAR'd, resulting in a pull?

Yes, it can be resisted, and yes you can screw up and get more/less mobs than you intended (especially if they're moving fast).

Yes, it can be resisted, and yes you can screw up and get more/less mobs than you intended (especially if they're moving fast).

Then for a guild learning Sartura (that would be us) I'd say it's not worth the risk.

Then for a guild learning Sartura (that would be us) I'd say it's not worth the risk.

There is really no risk.

A Rogue just finds a spot which allows Satura and Co to path around normally, but you can distract them at max range.

1) If one or two resist distract, the mobs just keep moving. A resisted distract doesn't expose the rogue, it just negates the distract effect. Ideally, you want to distract only 1 guard in the front left corner, so a resist is actually a not a bad thing.

2) If you get more than you want, just wait until they loop around again.

Only challenge for the rogue is finishing the right spot, and if they screw up, everybody runs up the tunnel, satura resets and its no big deal.

There is really no risk.

A Rogue just finds a spot which allows Satura and Co to path around normally, but you can distract them at max range.

1) If one or two resist distract, the mobs just keep moving. A resisted distract doesn't expose the rogue, it just negates the distract effect. Ideally, you want to distract only 1 guard in the front left corner, so a resist is actually a not a bad thing.

2) If you get more than you want, just wait until they loop around again.

Only challenge for the rogue is finishing the right spot, and if they screw up, everybody runs up the tunnel, satura resets and its no big deal.

Thank you for the clarification. I will try this tonight.

There is no magic formula for Sartura, indeed (as you say) if your raid doesnt learn how to move and play at the same time they will be seriously struggling at CThun and in Naxx, even the trash before the Twins requires mobility.

Most of the advice you need has already been mentioned. Assign healers to your tank groups, use Hunters on the pull to separate them out and burn down the adds with focussed dps as fast as possible, the fight gets exponentially easier after the adds are down. Make sure your Druids are using HoT and Swiftmend as these can be cast on the move - often a life-saver.

Once you have Sartura alone the melee just need to learn the rhythm of whirlwinding so that they avoid as much damage as possible while the tanks try to keep Sartura relatively stable - everyone else surround the boss at max distance, adjusting as the boss moves around.

Update

Okay, so I've been getting a lot of excuses from my raiders about spot healing and the like. I keep hearing from them that druids cannot spot heal. I'm under the impression, that spot healing isn't so much class restricted, as it is player restricted.

Do you guys have any tips / ideas / words of advice upon this?

Which classes should make good spot healers? Which don't? Should I try and encourage my healers to break out of their shells and learn how to manage spot healing? Or should I just cater to their strengths and submit to their wishes?

What do you mean by spot healing? If you mean topping dps off and throwing small fast heals to bring people to full, druids are not the best at this. Our heals are slow, and almost always a flash heal or flash of light/lhw will beat us. Its frustrating to have all your heals sniped. Druids can keep a group up perfectly fine, but the faster healers need to give them that extra .5 seconds to let their heals land/hot to tick. If they won't do that then the druids lose a lot of their value in the raid.

Are your druids ranking down? Rank4/Rank5 Healing touch is more than adequate for spot heals (rank4 being the better as it is faster, but if it does not yet heal for 900+ is not really useful yet.)

If you have some Preists/Shamans blowing full mana pools topping off other peoples groups all the time you have a problem. Healing needs to be spread between healers and if you have a terribly agressive healer he may be causing your other healers to either slack off or just give up. (Bob will get it. Why even try he beats me every time...) Find out if that's the case and if it is tell that guy he needs to share the heals a little bit, because he is probably and aggro magnet or a pot burner and most likely not even happy with his own performance (as it is costly and he dies often.)