Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vhal

The cross-server battleground experience

67 posts in this topic

European Battlegroup 1 is largely interesting because it consists purely of release day English servers. Surprisingly enough there's still a large amount of PUGs, but also a large amount of geared out pre-mades. The fact that practically every single server is effectively 'full' also means that there's something wrong if there isn't at least 5 AVs, 30 ABs and 40 WSGs going on.

Working great for me, though some of our more hardcore PvPers are annoyed by the far larger anonimity. Though you do get to see some "celebrities" from PvP movies from time to time.

Overall I like the cross server BG experience, I just wish there were a way to play teams and only teams. They lead to fun games like this: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5258/wsg1ysondreti8.png

I hate wasting an hour playing pick up groups, then having someone get bored and take a break only to get in against a team on the next queue. On a side note 3priests and 3paladins make it tough to down a flag carrier.

The cross server PvP was and is a huge debacle for Hyjal. BG11 started out bad (4 other servers) and isn't getting any better with only new servers being introduced. Stomping pugs from servers with no raid population isn't fun or challenging at all.

Queue times increased an average of 25% for alliance side, on an already alliance heavy server, and continue to get worse. The only thing that kept PvP going at all for us, was the rivalries and quality opponents. Largely that's gone now, due to the fact that you don't see the same opponents in the same night anymore.

Add to that we ended up with some self-appointed police from Cenarion Circle who decided that they had to report and lvl1 alt post accusations of speedhacking against any rogue and hunter they ran across, and it's killed the community feel. I went from doing some light pvp for recreation outside of raids to not even bothering to queue.

Overall I like the cross server BG experience, I just wish there were a way to play teams and only teams. They lead to fun games like this: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5258/wsg1ysondreti8.png

I hate wasting an hour playing pick up groups, then having someone get bored and take a break only to get in against a team on the next queue. On a side note 3priests and 3paladins make it tough to down a flag carrier.

If you get someone on another team's vent and coordinate which gamenumber you'll be joining you can set up matches with the current system. It's actually pretty fast and easy to do if your cluster's queue times arent bad.

Being on a stupidly alliance heavy server, I've noticed a huge improvement. It used to be that I'd wait for an hour-and-a-half Warsong queue only to get a guaranteed game against one of the two honor farming horde teams. There was no such thing as a PUG if it wasn't Warsong weekend. The other downside was no competition; Alliance Marshal teams always outgeared horde Warlord teams.

Nowdays, things are consistently quick in Battlegroup 3. Generally 10~ minute queues for AB and Warsong, with AV hovering around 30 minutes. A wealth of PUG's to steamroll, but more importantly, competition. There's some brutal teams from Skullcrusher and Mannoroth that have been demolishing our former GM groups. It's fun to play again.

The only thing I don't like is that our queues seem to get messed up more often. Since we got new Hardware a few weeks back, there have been at least three times I could count that no BG's would be up at all, in the middle of peak hours. It gets annoying, and it's caused trouble for more than a few people trying to grind ranks. It could be an isolated thing, but it's still obnoxious.

Overall, I like it.

While it might have been a boon to your server in regards to queue times it hurt Mannoroth Alliance queues. More importantly since I pug most of the time I can rarely get into an AB that doesn't start at a 15v10 Horde advantage whereas people were pretty good at joining games before x-server bgs. It really has been frustrating starting down people and seeing more alliance in the most terrible gear imaginable. I like the fact that I never miss a queue because the wait times are always accurate but being in the game with the low quality of play I could do without.

Queues on Burning Blade Alliance side went from 5-7 min AB/WSG to 25-27 min and AV went from 15 min to 47+min with the release of 1.12. I gnashed my teeth about it for a couple of weeks and then decided to save my breath (and keystrokes) and just quit the grind. It's certainly not worth it in terms of loot quality/time esp when you see some screenies of lvl 60 socketable greens that are leagues better than the blue PvP rewards.

For Darkspear Horde the queue times are nearly instant, which has had the consequence of 1) making the rep grinds a lot more bearable and 2) making PVP ranking semi-casually an impossibility. So, while I have had to give up my dreams of getting the awesome-looking rogue pvp armor, I'm getting the rep faster and I've picked up raid items that are better for the most part anyway. Mixed blessing.

For Burning Blade US Alliance, this has utterly killed PVP IMO.

I used to PVP a few hours a week here and there in Battlegrounds...but now I've spent those same hours queued and tile hopping or gathering whipper root tubers.

one of the best parts of PVP, in my mind, comes from the familiarity of it - playing that one team yet again. for a long time, LA pretty much never lost on ner'zhul, and when the top horde pvp team finally beat us, it was a big deal. with a larger pool, rivalries like that can't really develop as readily, and while variety in opposition is nice, victories are somewhat less satisfying when you don't know who you stole that flag out from under at the last second.

X-server BGs are the best thing to happen to WoW in a long time. Our queues went from ridiculous to basically instantaneous (except AV, which is still usually 30min or less). As for the "playing that one team yet again," that was why I hated in realm BGs. 50% of wsgs were against "The Horde Honor Team." It was pointless. It was virtually impossible to find some nice pug v pug matches in anything but AV.

X-server BGs are the best thing to happen to WoW in a long time. Our queues went from ridiculous to basically instantaneous (except AV, which is still usually 30min or less). As for the "playing that one team yet again," that was why I hated in realm BGs. 50% of wsgs were against "The Horde Honor Team." It was pointless. It was virtually impossible to find some nice pug v pug matches in anything but AV.

i hate pug games. pug vs pug is pretty miserable, but organized group vs pug (on either side) is even worse. i dunno - i pvp to find a competitive challenge, and i've found the relevance of the competition (like playing a rival team from the same server) has gone down. the people i play against don't have personalities to me - they're just a group with this many warriors, this many priests, etc. i still enjoy the games, but i don't care about them as much anymore, to the point that we haven't had an active PVP group pretty much since xserver bgs came out. when i want to pvp, i go play my horde druid, mostly because i just enjoy running flags and trying to see what sort of crazy situations i can get myself out of :-P

Queues on Burning Blade Alliance side went from 5-7 min AB/WSG to 25-27 min and AV went from 15 min to 47+min with the release of 1.12. I gnashed my teeth about it for a couple of weeks and then decided to save my breath (and keystrokes) and just quit the grind. It's certainly not worth it in terms of loot quality/time esp when you see some screenies of lvl 60 socketable greens that are leagues better than the blue PvP rewards.

Yeah, Hyjal's went from something like 45-50 for WSG to 1-1.5 hours on average. From bad to just outright terrible.

I think I've ran into one group since the x-relm bg's opened. Other then that I'm fighting people who are nowhere near my gear level and it's not enjoyable at all.. to the point where I slacked off so much I lost stone guard and thus my cheap penny pincher combat pots =(

I'm very disappointed in the actual PVP. We're running a full premade for WSG and AB with 50/50 mains - BWL twinks.

instant queues are nice. fighting new people would be nice.

Horde premades leaving before gates open because they might win but it would take too long and they need honor fucking sucks.

PUGs waiting at Defiler's den for us to do a quick 5:0 so they can get a game they might actually have a chance at losing just 2:3 sucks as well.

Horde premades just riding in a pack of 15, not flagging anything and just trying to get as much HK honor as possible while we win 5:0 isn't fun either.

out of 30 games I can make on an off-raid day, 1-2 are actually against a premade fighting back. Blizzard completly failed on this.

So, there's been a good bit of time since these opened. For us on Horde/Tichondrius, the queues are still instant during reasonable playing times (at least, any time I've tried to get in a BG).

I'm still loving it and thinking 1.12 is the best patch ever for WoW; anyone else have thoughts about it after the shininess has worn off?

Vhal of combine ressurection?

However, TAO and Notorious do remain undefeated in both BG9 as well as in arranged matches on Test. Noto played Nurfed on test and won 3-0, 3-1 last week. Both TAO and Nurfed are superb teams, but their strategies and general approach to WSG are remarkably different.

Funny story, aside from TAO the only team ever to cap on Notorious's team was Nurfed.

Notorious must have made quite an impression on them Nurfed guys since they just transferred in to BG9 via Blackrock. Any chance of a fraps between you guys and also TAO when you meet up for the wsg league match? First Vicious Cycle and now Nurfed, I wonder what guild will make the jump to bg9 next.

While it might have been a boon to your server in regards to queue times it hurt Mannoroth Alliance queues. More importantly since I pug most of the time I can rarely get into an AB that doesn't start at a 15v10 Horde advantage whereas people were pretty good at joining games before x-server bgs. It really has been frustrating starting down people and seeing more alliance in the most terrible gear imaginable. I like the fact that I never miss a queue because the wait times are always accurate but being in the game with the low quality of play I could do without.

As a HWL who has no need for honor, but preferred to pug AB for the 1v1's and 1v2's to take a flag(lol PvP video style but not actually frapsing) this killed AB for me. Now I might get a decent fight at the start of the match, and other than that alliance moves into "Atleast we have stables/mine" mode and everyone basically afks until the end of the match.

That combined with when I do actually group up and we end up 5-0'ing/flawless 3-0 WSG every single game even against premades makes for a very pitiful BG system. Playing against macabre for so long really has made us to good.