Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yupyup

The first "Have Fun Making Fun" thread of 2010

78 posts in this topic

Anyway, here's your chance to agree with him, or make fun or him, or post pictures of unicorns and dinosaurs.

I'll agree with one thing he says: it's worth coming here just to read the banhammer forum. I don't read it to get pissed off though. There are some freaking works of art there. I present the following evidence:

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t80060-infraction_aranacule_banhammer/

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t79185-infraction_endcat_idiot/

And perhaps my favorite of all time:

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t73450-infraction_ifor_grammatik_macht_frei/

I mean, my god. That's a thing of beauty, that is.

The world is swarming with fucking morons. Reading the banhammer forum can kindle a spark of joy in my heart, as I watch some of 'em get flayed without mercy.

I rather enjoyed this one, from just yesterday:

There really isn't much more to healing than just don't let people die. If your guild wants you to heal more, then find some people with low health who aren't the MT and heal them.

I'll agree with one thing he says: it's worth coming here just to read the banhammer forum. I don't read it to get pissed off though. There are some freaking works of art there. I present the following evidence:

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t80060-infraction_aranacule_banhammer/

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t79185-infraction_endcat_idiot/

And perhaps my favorite of all time:

http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t73450-infraction_ifor_grammatik_macht_frei/

I mean, my god. That's a thing of beauty, that is.

The world is swarming with fucking morons. Reading the banhammer forum can kindle a spark of joy in my heart, as I watch some of 'em get flayed without mercy.

I've got a fever, and the only prescription, is more Kaubel.

Each one of these threads get significantly less amusing.

Post pics of your mom then.

oh-snap.jpg

...manages to find a new and interesting way of being a complete and udder douche.

Why must people malign such an important tool in livestock hygiene?

To top it off this poster was clearly trying to elicit this specific response from you.

It never occurred to me that what the poster wanted was relevent. I'm sure the mods are all wrapped up in their snuggies drinking mugs of cocoa trying to get over being so crassly manipulated.

If the administrative staff spent as much time pruning topics and making sure "first posts" that claim to be accurate actually were, as they did handing out useless infractions...EJ would be 23.78% more helpful. I don't see the funny here to be honest, you got trolled :|.

If the administrative staff spent as much time pruning topics and making sure "first posts" that claim to be accurate actually were, as they did handing out useless infractions...EJ would be 23.78% more helpful. I don't see the funny here to be honest, you got trolled :|.

If you suspect information to be wrong here, then test it yourself. If they are right then at least you can follow their advice in the comfort of that knowledge, and if your tests show that they are wrong, post your tests so that we can... theorycraft.

I moderate another forum myself and I agree some threads here could use some pruning. The best way to do that though is for users to report posts, not sit around and expect moderators to do it all. The forum I moderate is far less strict, I can only imagine how much stuff EJ mods need to trim compared to what I do.

At the risk of already having ruined my post with too much seriousness I have fixed the color to something more appropriate. Now let me go find a unicorn pic.

I moderate another forum myself and I agree some threads here could use some pruning. The best way to do that though is for users to report posts, not sit around and expect moderators to do it all. The forum I moderate is far less strict, I can only imagine how much stuff EJ mods need to trim compared to what I do.

At the risk of already having ruined my post with too much seriousness I have fixed the color to something more appropriate. Now let me go find a unicorn pic.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about the pink

EDIT: Much better :)

If you think we're going to read through every thread, and check every post for accuracy, you're just as loony as the person in the OP.

Let's check your post history. Hey, look here! Your lazy ass hasn't reported a single post in the two years you've been registered. You, sir, are part of the fucking problem.

Let's check your post history. Hey, look here! Your lazy ass hasn't reported a single post in the two years you've been registered. You, sir, are part of the fucking problem.

slap.jpg

You can do that? O.o I feel so violated now...

I agree that this didn't need it's own thread. He's only mediocre witty in the best case and he lacks that rare, naive 'speciality' that made Seresthepriest so interesting. She was like the site of a car-accident: You could only drive by slowly because you were forced to stare at the wreckage with dark fascination, not able to take your eyes off that decapitated, burning figure stumbling around her former (pink) vehicle.

This guy here is like some irrecognizable shape on the side of the road - the sun has already set and you aren't sure if that thing is a dumped freezer or just a large pile of horseshit with snow on top, but you sure as hell aren't interested to step on the brakes to check it out further.

The Banhammer is fun to read, yeah. I surely don't find all the infractions fair - just about 95 percent of them. Someone has to keep the place clean and I guess it's not a job that heightens your mood immensely. If Kaubel enjoys his powers - fine, who wouldn't?

The older I get the more I learn to hate that "it's your duty to help complete strangers when they stumble into your forum!"-attitude. I guess around here it's also called the special-snowflake-syndrom. And if I sometimes think "okay, this time Kaubel really is a pettish bitch" it's still not so hard to remind myself that this is not my forum and I'm not to judge.

Shit. I guess my austere attitude always takes the fun out of discussions.

Oh, the 'Grammatik macht frei'-thing: He said "You don't have to snap out of it so quickly... how old are you 10? Just because some guy questions things, omg. How disabled [the term 'zurückgeblieben' would have been translated as 'retarded, but he chose 'behindert' nontheless, which translates as (physically) disabled and is considered to be an extremely childish offense in german] you are ... fucking kiddy."

It wasn't really what you'd call standard german, just the cheap version of a not so creative Mod Sass.

Note: reporting an otherwise inoffensive post may result in negative ramifications for YOUR account. Make sure the post is at least a bit questionable.

I often wonder if anyone has ever been given an infraction or warning for abuse/misuse of the report system. There are some odd things in the banhammer that I've often thought might be infractions for reporting but I don't know for sure. Any mod care to comment?

If you read the Banhammer as often as I do on work you'll see that they do infract reports as well, yup. I think it was Juice who got two or three reports from some shithead who found him offensive.

The blade swings in all directions...

To go completely off-topic, "ausrasten" would be "go ballistic" or "lose it" rather than "snap out of it".

If anything, one might expect the Germans to have a unique appreciation for the EJ moderation style.

And if I may be permitted to digress, I'd like to thank the EJ moderators for their daily work in making these forums a place where people are expected to contribute, and not just hop on and blather. There are myriad online destinations where one can vent about their loot luck, ask whether AP or Strength is better for a DK, or provide intensely humorous links to 80s pop songs. This is not one of them, and it is not by luck, but rather by diligent work. So again, thank you.

Personally, all I see when I read complaints about the moderation here is "I just wish this place was more like the official forums, you know? A place where I can hop on and blather."

I often wonder if anyone has ever been given an infraction or warning for abuse/misuse of the report system. There are some odd things in the banhammer that I've often thought might be infractions for reporting but I don't know for sure. Any mod care to comment?

My only warning was for being overzealous on the report button & reporting a mod's post. He gave himself an infraction in his heart, just for me.

Anyway, I personally feel that there should be even more public humiliation for bad posting around here. We're guests on these forums & whatever ass-backwards, 1984 style rules EJ wants to enforce is entirely at their discretion. I do what I can to report posts in the threads I read & 99% of posts I report have little orange squares on them or are in the dung heap. I have little patience to deal with "wht shud i encant my wep with, plz halp ^.^ :D lulslolololzzzz" when it's in the first fucking post of the thread. I salute you Kaubel & bow to you as my Orwellian overlord.

If you're worried about getting imaginary points taken away (when you're fucking wrong in the first place, you gain points by being bad here), simply don't post. I was a member for many months before I made my first post & generally don't post much anyway. In closing on 2 years of membership here, I've posted 25 times. When I have something to add to the conversation, I will, otherwise I'm quite content to use the data & ideas posted to form my own conclusions on how I wish to play my character.

Also, have some narwhals, they're like unicorns of the sea.

20090316-partyhardnarwhal.PNG

or provide intensely humorous links to 80s pop songs.

Ask and ye shall receive. I think that Bitch School gives an appropriate feel of where to send them whiners to. I was going to go with another Tap clip featuring rainbows and stuff, but this one, well, rocks more.

Anyway, I personally feel that there should be even more public humiliation for bad posting around here.

You can help! On our guild forums, we have a thread in which I post links to some "best of" banhammer posts. I'd say we link from our forums to banhammer posts more than to any other kind of post on EJ. In that sense, it's actually the most useful part of the site for us. Yay for idiots, and the endless amusement they provide!