Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bestpike

[Enhancement]: Critical cap analysis (Tow/HotC)

104 posts in this topic

Yours means the same thing as mine, just yours requires an * to explain that 4.8% hit can't be removed and mine doesn't. For some reason I think mine matches the way Blizzard coded it better then yours but it's a moot point.

The big thing is that there is no reason to think about the relationship between the crit cap and the crit depression. You get use out of every drop up till your cap, which is dependent on your miss rate.

Basically everything that came out of all that testing is that there is no reason to every have any crit above the cap. Used to be that people thought if they had crit over that point it would eat into the crit depression and eventually allow them to remove hits from the table. That is not the case. Which is why I like my version of the table better since crits can't push anything off the table at all. All they are is converted regular hits. If you have no more regular hits to convert then you can't have any more crits.

One table, no * necessary. Basically the same as my last table but hopefully a bit more understandable.

[table=head]Hit Table| |

Miss|(reduced by hit rating) |

Dodge|(zero through Expertise)|

Parry|(zero through positioning)|

Glancing Blow|(24% always - due to level difference)|

Block|(zero through positioning)|

Crit Depression|(4.8% always - due to level difference)|

Regular Hit|(can be critical strikes)|[/table]

As for your conclusions they seem to be on the money and the macros look great. I'm sure Levva will have Rawr showing the proper crit cap in the next version and EnhSim already appears to be handling it correctly. All the shaman reading this need to know is that simple equation, Crit cap = 100 - (miss rate) - (glancing blows), and that they should gem/gear for enough additional hit so their personal crit cap is always equal or better then their crit rate including all raid buffs, debuffs and the 9% from Elemental Devastation.

I'm not sure exactly what analysis you wanted Levva, but this graph is for my character sheet, swapping out all bright cardinals and stark ametrines for rigid king's ambers in order to reach this amount of hit. I just got the chest and swapped to this helm today, and lost a lot of hit rating and reached the crit soft cap as a result - this discussion is quite timely.

The graph shows that if I drop 70 hit rating I'd be below the spell cap with appropriately steep curve. If I gain another 25ish rating I'd mitigate the crit depression (which Rawr tells me is currently 0.76% over the soft cap) and then the slope is reduced again. Only after another 60ish hit rating do 2AP and haste become the top stats again.

hit_at_crit_depression_point.JPG

I can edit with the Rawr XML and/or EnhSim config file if you need it.

Ok to make sure I code it right in Rawr lets see from your gear Rouncer...

[table=head]Hit Table| Value |

Miss|7.95|(reduced by hit rating)

Dodge|0.00|(zero through Expertise)

Parry|0.00|(zero through positioning)

Glancing Blow|24.00|(24% always - due to level difference)

Block|0.00|(zero through positioning)

Crit Depression|4.80|(4.8% always - due to level difference)

Regular Hit|3.90|(can be critical strikes)

Crits|59.35|(usable crit from gear)[/table]

However should we include :

ED Uptime Av|8.04|(average crit granted by uptime of ED)[/table]

This would give a new table of :

Miss|7.95|(reduced by hit rating)

Glancing Blow|24.00|(24% always - due to level difference)

Crit Depression|4.80|(4.8% always - due to level difference)

Regular Hit|0.00|(can be critical strikes)

ED Uptime Av|8.04|(average crit granted by uptime of ED)

Crits|55.21|(usable crit from gear)

Pushed off table|4.14|(unused crit)[/table]

I've fixed the issue in the earlier interim Rawr.Enhance release it was double dipping on the 4.8% crit depression. I've also modified the White hit table to show the effects of over crit cap.

Rawr.Enhance.zip

Would it be possible to have rawr show the crit with buffs but without procs, "average" crit with procs (including average excess crit figured from average uptime of elemental devastation, and any trinket or other procs) and the "max" crit (including "max" excess crit, from everything that can provide crit proccing at the same time)?

This is just something I'd be interested in seeing, although it might not be completely meaningful for determining gear/spec choices.

Current version of Rawr (after applying the previous fix) already includes Elemental Devastation.

Rawr Paper Doll - 39.29%

SoE - 41.42%

LotP - 46.42%

Heart of the Crusader - 49.42%

Kings - 51.31%

Ele D - 58.45%

Only thing that is strange is that my Paper Doll on the Armory says 43.48% melee crit, or a difference of 4.19%. Adding that to the Rawr Total puts me at 62.64%

Giving us a table of

Miss|7.95%|(reduced by hit rating)

Glancing Blow|24.00%|(24% always - due to level difference)

Critical Strikes|62.64%|(4.8% will show as hits)

Regular Hit|5.41%|[/table]

Regular hit also equals the amount of crit I can add before I reach the cap at that level of miss.

Would it be possible to have rawr show the crit with buffs but without procs, "average" crit with procs (including average excess crit figured from average uptime of elemental devastation, and any trinket or other procs) and the "max" crit (including "max" excess crit, from everything that can provide crit proccing at the same time)?

This is just something I'd be interested in seeing, although it might not be completely meaningful for determining gear/spec choices.

I think Levva's solution is potentially more useful. Have it show us both the hard cap (which should include Elemental Devastation) and a soft cap (trinket procs).

Edit - played with the latest version of Rawr (the update Levva attached) and it is still showing the crit cap as too low. Crit cap really is just 100 - 24% - dodge - miss rate.

Only thing people need to know about the crit depression is that they will still see hits even if they get to the crit cap but they will get full value from all the crit rating up to that point. That's because the crit depression is active the whole way too. So if they were white hit capped and expertise capped and had 70% crit, they would only be seeing 65.2% of their attacks as crits. If they got up to 76% crit, they would see 71.2% of their attacks crit. So that 6% crit from 70% to 76% was effective. If they went up to 77% crit, however, they would still only see 71.2% of their attacks crit meaning that 1% crit from 76% to 77% did nothing.

Edit - played with the latest version of Rawr (the update Levva attached) and it is still showing the crit cap as too low. Crit cap really is just 100 - 24% - dodge - miss rate.

Only thing people need to know about the crit depression is that they will still see hits even if they get to the crit cap but they will get full value from all the crit rating up to that point. That's because the crit depression is active the whole way too. So if they were white hit capped and expertise capped and had 70% crit, they would only be seeing 65.2% of their attacks as crits. If they got up to 76% crit, they would see 71.2% of their attacks crit. So that 6% crit from 70% to 76% was effective. If they went up to 77% crit, however, they would still only see 71.2% of their attacks crit meaning that 1% crit from 76% to 77% did nothing.

Not seeing this the code is now

private void SetCritValues(float chanceCrit)

{

// first set max crit chance 76% - miss chance (ie 100% - 24% glancing - miss chance) 

// see http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t76785-crit_depression_combat_table/

chanceWhiteCritMH = Math.Min(chanceCrit, 1f - GlancingRate - chanceWhiteMissMH);

chanceWhiteCritOH = Math.Min(chanceCrit, 1f - GlancingRate - chanceWhiteMissOH);

chanceYellowCritMH = Math.Min(chanceCrit, 1f - chanceYellowMissMH);

chanceYellowCritOH = Math.Min(chanceCrit, 1f - chanceYellowMissOH);

if (chanceCrit > 1f - GlancingRate - chanceWhiteMissMH)

overMeleeCritCap = chanceCrit - (1f - GlancingRate - chanceWhiteMissMH);

else

overMeleeCritCap = 0f;

// now apply crit depression

chanceWhiteCritMH = Math.Max(0.01f, chanceWhiteCritMH - whiteCritDepression);

chanceWhiteCritOH = Math.Max(0.01f, chanceWhiteCritOH - whiteCritDepression);

chanceYellowCritMH = Math.Max(0.01f, chanceYellowCritMH - yellowCritDepression);

chanceYellowCritOH = Math.Max(0.01f, chanceYellowCritOH - yellowCritDepression);

}

where chanceWhiteMissMH includes dodge & parry. ie: what it does now is pass in the crit value to apply checks against the cap which is determined as 1 - GlancingRate - WhiteMiss - dodge - parry. Where dodge & parry are typically zero. It then checks if that value was capped and if so sets the overMeleeCritCap variable. Finally it removes the crit depression from the crit value and keeps that at a minimum of 1%.

What is wrong with that?

Edit: I've added a new build r33408 so that you can test with the extra couple of tweaks. You said something about gearing choices showing wrong and something about the crit cap being wrong but not where I should look to find what is wrong, nor any examples I can test. So I struggling to understand you.

Edit 2 : It is perfectly possible to create a new gem - say lets call it Rouncer's insane crit gem - and give it 100 Crit rating. Then we could add that gem into your gear to achieve exactly the caps we want to see. ie: create several gems and setup the gear with them to experiment to see exactly what happens in those test cases at the limits. If it needs a gem with 121 crit on it then create a gem with 121 crit on it.

If we can device a series of such test cases we can verify that Rawr is giving the right result for each test case.

Rawr.Enhance.33408.zip

Levva, I'm not sure how much work this would be, but is it possible to display the attack table in Rawr? Possibly on the same tab where we go for the graph of stats?

You could have 2 separate columns, one for static buffs and one with all procs so people could see how much of their procs are being wasted (you could have an 3rd column for ED only proc'd if you felt it warranted).

I'm not sure how much work this would be, if it's feasible, I'll happily create a ticket on the Rawr codeplex page, just thought I'd get your opinion first.

I think it's working correctly. It's just showing up on the mouseover as over the crit cap too soon. It's showing as "over the crit cap" when you hit the range of the unremovable hit which is going to confuse people as there is no reason to worry about crit until you hit the true crit cap.

100 - Capped Hit/Dodge/Parry

|

76 (after glancing) - where it should tell people they have hit the crit cap

|

71.2 - where it is telling people they are over the crit cap

What would be great if it would say on that mouseover these things, depending on your paper doll.

- Over the Hard Crit Cap - if glancing + miss + crit > 100

- Over the Soft Crit Cap - if glancing + miss + crit + (*) > 100

Where * would equal the full value for Elemental Devastation and Trinket Procs and it would break them down by which and how much. So if using Dark Matter and over the crit cap by 0.5% when Elemental Devastation procs (ie 8.5% under the crit cap) it would show this for the mouse over.

*Over the Soft Crit Cap

Elemental Devastation - 0.5%

Dark Matter - 4.83%

Elemental Devastation + Dark Matter - 5.33%

Levva, I'm not sure how much work this would be, but is it possible to display the attack table in Rawr? Possibly on the same tab where we go for the graph of stats?

You could have 2 separate columns, one for static buffs and one with all procs so people could see how much of their procs are being wasted (you could have an 3rd column for ED only proc'd if you felt it warranted).

I'm not sure how much work this would be, if it's feasible, I'll happily create a ticket on the Rawr codeplex page, just thought I'd get your opinion first.

This already exists after a fashion. Its called Combat Table (White), Combat Table (Yellow) and Combat Table (Spells). Separating out procs & buffs isn't going to happen though. The code just isn't designed that way, or at least it would be a major pain to get it there and we are in feature lockdown for Rawr2.

I think it's working correctly. It's just showing up on the mouseover as over the crit cap too soon. It's showing as "over the crit cap" when you hit the range of the unremovable hit which is going to confuse people as there is no reason to worry about crit until you hit the true crit cap.

Its currently using if crit > 100 - glancing - miss which is the same as if glancing + miss + crit > 100. ie: no 4.8% in sight. to warn if over cap. This is the only warning it gives. So again I can't see how it can be wrong at present. PLEASE if you have an example give me an XML so I can understand, all I have is words at present and NO info. If I can't replicate your issue I cannot solve it.

Remember that Rawr doesn't have lots of different states it takes ALL your stats, your procs, your buffs, your uptime stats and lumps them all together before working out the dps from that large chunk of stats. To effectively "interrupt" the process early and store values becomes fiddly and has introduced errors in the past. The whole way the display is handled is a mess to be honest. It needs a major re-write for all models so we can separate display values from calculation values.

Levva does the version in your attachment also include the updated [item]Deathbringer's Will[/item]?

Levva does the version in your attachment also include the updated [item]Deathbringer's Will[/item]?

What is updated about it? The one of the procs being Haste rather than ArP? If so yes.

What is updated about it? The one of the procs being Haste rather than ArP? If so yes.

Yeah that's what I meant - great.

(e - while working through this post and verifying everything I figured out what I was mistaken about but worth reading for the logic train that led to understanding so we can help others when they start with the same mistaken conclusions)

I copied the folder contents over my current Rawr folder and when I swap out my War Token for the Heroic Whispering Fanged Skull it takes my crit up to 63.25% and then it shows (Over Cap) and the mouseover shows "over the soft cap by 0.44%).

Miss Rate is 7.95%

Dodge is 0%

So it should show 100 - 24 - 7.95 = 68.05% as the cap. If the 4.8% was already affecting the cap then it would be 63.25%

If I remove all the points from Elemental Devastation it shows my crit as 55.05% (all raid buffs but nothing proccing crit).

I attached the XML.

I'm also going to attach an XML that shows the base crit value. This is without Ele D and without any raid buffs that affect melee crit so the value should match my paper doll in game.

With that gear my paper doll and my value on the Armory shows as 40.99%. But on Rawr it is showing as 36.19%. Which fits if it is already taking the crit depression into account on the Rawr panel. So Rawr is showing the correct values, it just looks wrong because the 4.8% is affecting the Melee Crit value shown in the panel but it doesn't affect the cap value, ie Rawr is working 100% correctly and I was just missing it because of a lack of understanding about how it derived the values shown in that panel.

Rouncer over the crit cap - test.xml

Rouncer testing Rawr crit values shown on panel.xml

(e - while working through this post and verifying everything I figured out what I was mistaken about but worth reading for the logic train that led to understanding so we can help others when they start with the same mistaken conclusions)

I copied the folder contents over my current Rawr folder and when I swap out my War Token for the Heroic Whispering Fanged Skull it takes my crit up to 63.25% and then it shows (Over Cap) and the mouseover shows "over the soft cap by 0.44%).

Miss Rate is 7.95%

Dodge is 0%

So it should show 100 - 24 - 7.95 = 68.05% as the cap. If the 4.8% was already affecting the cap then it would be 63.25%

If I remove all the points from Elemental Devastation it shows my crit as 55.05% (all raid buffs but nothing proccing crit).

I attached the XML.

I'm also going to attach an XML that shows the base crit value. This is without Ele D and without any raid buffs that affect melee crit so the value should match my paper doll in game.

With that gear my paper doll and my value on the Armory shows as 40.99%. But on Rawr it is showing as 36.19%. Which fits if it is already taking the crit depression into account on the Rawr panel. So Rawr is showing the correct values, it just looks wrong because the 4.8% is affecting the Melee Crit value shown in the panel but it doesn't affect the cap value, ie Rawr is working 100% correctly and I was just missing it because of a lack of understanding about how it derived the values shown in that panel.

Ah ok what I take from that is it would be more useful to have the display value show the crit with the added crit depression value, so it matches the armoury?

Edit: Please find attached an update r30516 that should fix the display issues and make it a bit more intuitive. NB. I've changed the hit and miss graphs (Combat Table (white)) to show green where you could possibly eek out more crit, and the crit bar to show green when over crit cap. Let me know if it looks right or wrong please.

Rawr.Enhance.zip

Display now matches ingame/armory paper doll except for what is likely a rounding error, armory has me at 43.48% and Rawr has me at 43.47%.

43.47 + raid buffs/debuffs = 56.11%

56.11% + 9% Ele D = 65.11%

56.11 + estimated uptime for Ele D = 64.15%

My crit cap = 100 - 24 - 7.95 = 68.05%

Mouseover tooltip shows me as over the crit cap by 0.89%. So it is still working off the assumption that the crit depression has affected my crit value in the panel.

I'm really not sure what the best way to handle the information on the panel would be if someone was over the crit cap. Having an averaged value for procs that put someone over the cap really doesn't help because you are still losing all the white crit above the cap from the proc when it is active.

Maybe the best thing would be to just have it say "You are over the crit cap, consider adding more hit rating as that may increase your overall dps". Then let people sort out on their own how much they are over the crit cap by and whether it would be a dps increase to add enough hit to get back under the cap. Feels like a copout but within the constraints of the Rawr system it may be better to just work it that way instead of leading people to the wrong conclusions.

What's nice to see though is that the graph function is working perfectly. It shows a static value curve for hit when I am actually below the crit cap that is just below the values curves of AP or Haste. When I add enough crit rating to actually be over the crit cap it shows a curve with a peak that coincides with enough hit rating to get back under the crit cap and then the curve moves back to it's normal curvature. Take a look at the attached xml file and run the graph with just hit/AP/Haste as my explanation is probably a bit confusing. The curvature on the graph is corresponding to the real crit cap not the one it is showing on the mouseover on the panel and it gives an idea how much hit you need to add before any other stat would be a better choice for gemming.

Rouncer Crit Capped Graph test.zip

However isn't what its saying correct though as 0.89% of your crit is getting converted to hits. So its warning that 0.89% of your crits is being wasted. Perhaps the word CAP is the problem as its not actually over the cap but it is crit that isn't being used to crit.

Does the "Combat Table (White)" help explain things? Top Right drop down that starts Gear | Head by default. Click on Gear and then select "Combat Table (White)". I suspect what we are looking at now is sorting the wording rather than disagreeing on the values.

The graph aims to show where lost hit & crit is going.

But he isn't wasting any crit at all, which is where the problem comes from.

Even if he only had a 4.8% chance to crit, he would still be under the effect of the crit depression, and have a 0% chance to crit (theoretically; I think in practice you always have a 1% chance to crit).

So you're not wasting crit until your chance for "Regular Hits" has been reduced to 4.8%, only then is additional crit being wasted. No matter what your crit rate is, it will always be 4.8% lower in practice when hitting a boss.

However isn't what its saying correct though as 0.89% of your crit is getting converted to hits. So its warning that 0.89% of your crits is being wasted. Perhaps the word CAP is the problem as its not actually over the cap but it is crit that isn't being used to crit.

Does the "Combat Table (White)" help explain things? Top Right drop down that starts Gear | Head by default. Click on Gear and then select "Combat Table (White)". I suspect what we are looking at now is sorting the wording rather than disagreeing on the values.

The graph aims to show where lost hit & crit is going.

None of my crit is being wasted. Every drop of it gives me more crit up to the actual crit cap. This was the part that confused the hell out of me when Bestpike started with his pms. Think about it this way.

(removing misses, dodge and parry - so crit cap is 76%)

If I have 10% crit, my actual crit rate will be 5.2% due to crit depression.

If I have 25% crit, my actual crit rate will be 20.2% due to crit depression.

If I have 70% crit, my actual crit rate will be 65.2% due to crit depression

If I have 75% crit, my actual crit rate will be 70.2% due to crit depression

If I have 76% crit, my actual crit rate will be 71.2% due to crit depression

(So every percentage point worth of crit was worth it's value as it was increasing my actual crit rate.)

If I have 77% crit, my actual crit rate will be 71.2% due to the crit cap.

(So that last percentage point worth of crit rating was completely wasted as my actual crit rate did not change)

Ok I've got it now makes perfect sense it was the combat table white that was throwing me. I've now tweaked it to remove the crit depression as this is being shown on the hit bar. My confusion was that the bars weren't adding up to 100%. Due to the crit depression appearing on the crit bar and the hit bar.

Try this latest build r1154 (NB. This also has the fix for the mana issues in the Rawr.Enhance thread).

Please let me know if this fits what you'd expect on the sheets and in the Combat Table (White). At below the cap, at the cap and above the cap.

Rawr.Enhance.1154.zip

One more thing about crit cap is that even when you are over white crit cap the crit isn't "completely" wasted. You still have lots of room left until the yellow and spell crit cap. That being said I can't see a situation where crit would retain a higher value than our other main stats but even the "hard" crit cap for white swings is still a "soft" cap for overall damage.

Again this isn't me advocating going over white melee crit cap, just that you should still sim and test values over cap and not assume crit over white swing cap to be a 0 dps increase all else being equal.

The following info is old. Look at the one i made on the third page of this thread. There is also a download link for the new calculator.

Glad to be of help. According to what we have figured out until now I have made an easy to use Critical cap calculator in Excel.

A. You need to insert info only at the red boxes. Those are your Hit rating, your unbuffed Agility and Critical chance char sheet value (add also the full amount of Agility or Critical chance any trinket procs you may have).

B. At the green colored boxes there is various information for the current status of your character.

C. At the yellow box it shows you how much more room for critical you have before you reach the cap with your current hit rating.

There is one table for Non-Draenei and one for Draenei. The tables assume Elemental devastation, Thundering Strikes and Dual-wield Specialisation taken, and also a fully buffed raiding environment. Also, if you aren't expertise capped, you should subtract your chance your attacks have to dodge from the final number.

Edit: Make sure you have knowledge of the crit cap mechanic. Those tables are only meant to speed up the calculation process, not to tell you something you don't already know.

i tried using the excel file and it tells me that without ED (not averaged im adding 9% to see how much i need to be under when its up) and HotC i have 1.70% room for more crit. but when i add 12% it says i need to have 730 hit rating to get back under the cap when i have those buffs active. now im a little bit skeptical about that and wanted to know if that working out is correct. even when i use Rouncer's version of the manual equation i get 100 - 24 - 8.05 =67.95 crit cap

without full buffs (apart from HotC and ED) im already at 66.26% crit. so im under by 1.69. so with just HotC added im over by 4.69 BUT thats without ED, so ill go even further over it because of that proc and just estimated uptime puts me at 12.73% OVER the cap. and to get that much in hit is pretty ridiculous with my current set. so am i just working this out plain wrong or do i really need excessive amount of hit to balance this out?

if i posted this in wrong place please move it or delete

Glad to be of help. According to what we have figured out until now I have made an easy to use Critical cap calculator in Excel.

A spreadsheet is overkill isn't it? Rawr now does this (use Combat Table (White) to view) and soon ShockAndAwe in game will do this.

Well I am not aware how advanced the various other classes' spreadsheets are, but all this table is doing is get your base crit, adds 9% from ED, then crit from raid buffs (5% buff, 3% debuff, MotW, SoE), finally calculates your total agility to calculate Kings and adds it all together. Then it sees your chance to miss, tells you how much more Crit you can have before the cap. Its pretty primitive and simple, made in 10 minutes.

Levva, i was also wondering to how much AEP hit rating is rising to, when someone isn't White Hit capped but is White Crit capped. That means that for whatever hit rating someone at that situation gets, hit is converted to crit immediately.

My rushed calculations over some of my WWS parses showed a value of in the area of 2.2 AEP per 1 hit rating, but it may be helpful to implement this new AEP value to the simulator, so we can see if it's worth it to gem for hit when crit capped or not while in various gear setups. I will post some analysis on the matter a bit later.

Well I am not aware how advanced the various other classes' spreadsheets are, but all this table is doing is get your base crit, adds 9% from ED, then crit from raid buffs (5% buff, 3% debuff, MotW, SoE), finally calculates your total agility to calculate Kings and adds it all together. Then it sees your chance to miss, tells you how much more Crit you can have before the cap. Its pretty primitive and simple, made in 10 minutes.

Levva, i was also wondering to how much AEP hit rating is rising to, when someone isn't White Hit capped but is White Crit capped. That means that for whatever hit rating someone at that situation gets, hit is converted to crit immediately.

My rushed calculations over some of my WWS parses showed a value of in the area of 2.2 AEP per 1 hit rating, but it may be helpful to implement this new AEP value to the simulator, so we can see if it's worth it to gem for hit when crit capped or not while in various gear setups. I will post some analysis on the matter a bit later.

None of the simulators use EP or AEP in any way shape or form they are a by product of adding stats and doing a calculation and are provided as a convenience to humans to give you a ROUGH guide to how the stats shape up against each other. As far as either simulator is concerned neither of them are using EP values AT ALL. In fact with the new graphs in Rawr (introduced 3-4 months ago) you are advised never to refer to EP values again as the graphs give you a far far better at a glance view of the interaction of your stats as the amount of added/subtracted stat changes.

It is a source of some concern that people still think after all this time that the simulators use EP values in their calculations THEY DON'T!!! Simulators use formulae for percentage hit, miss, crit, haste etc etc etc and work out how that affects the damage components of each of your abilities. The difference between the two sims is that Rawr.Enhance uses a averaged stat closed form solution and so is very quick but is assuming that everything is averaged out over time. Whereas EnhSim actually runs thousands of hours of actual combat blow by blow simulation rolling dice for every single event seeing if its a hit, crit, miss, checking if something procs etc.

PLEASE PLEASE get it into your head that EP values are MEANINGLESS, they provide a VERY ROUGH guide to what stat with THAT gear is providing the most improvement but as soon as you change the stat the EP values change, this is especially true of hit & now crit where we are dealing with caps.