Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playered

Surviving the Pre-TBC Guild Depression

57 posts in this topic

Im sure alot of guilds are having this, and am interested in how it is being managed by others.

As a raiding guild people are becoming less and less active... and its fairly mixed between very old/well geared and newer people without the top end gear.

So it becomes a 'recruit or die' situation which never seems to end... and it feels that the guild is dieing slowly each day as even raiding in itself becomes more difficult each week.

Progress really seems pointless atm due to new people coming and old people going... but even farm raids are sometimes struggling and I dont see it getting better anytime soon....

The worst part is now that TBC is out 1-2 months later than intended that you cant even blag it untill then because if we stop before then, we will most likely collapse.

The hardest part of love is knowing when to let go.

I've fulfilled my 'profound' quota for the day.

We're going through the same thing, and we're just recruiting more. We have enough people that yearn to progress and to see the new encounters that we've kept it together. If you don't have a big enough core of people that really want to raid for the fun and challenge of it, then your guild probably cannot solve the problem via recruitment, and there probably is no solution at all.

Anticipate and fight it out. Good personnel are more valuable than anything else.

Find out what people's motivations are.

Make sure that the first guild to go down isn't yours.

If you can't recruit enough geared/skilled players to continue progressing, then stop trying. Why not take this time to reevaluate what the guild is about, what your core would like it to be about in TBC, and how you intend to achieve that.

Take this opportunity now to cull the ranks and start recruiting people rather than gear or classes, because the gear really doesn't matter when Bliz pushes the hard reset. This is your chance to correct once untouchable issues within the guild and emerge better then before.

/silver_lining

we have daily group hugs.

That reminds me, for activities to improve guild cohesion, I highly recommend:

http://www.isketch.net

with the WoW word list and a Vent channel.

Aren't there several threads about this sort of thing?

It's happening all over I guess ... the guild I'm in are facing some of this as well. The core people are still with us but it's sad seeing people who has been with us for almost a year now just fade away.

It don't matter. I'll be all around in the Outlands - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a roll, so pubbie people can loot, I'll be there. Wherever there's a mob beatin' up a tank, I'll be there. I'll be in the way priests Fear when they're mad. I'll be in the way orcs laugh when they're bored and they know the pull is ready, and when the people are lootin' the stuff they kill and PvPin' in the gear they loot - I'll be there, too.

Weirdly, we hit our low point a couple of months ago and suddenly people are flooding back (and not just to us, people who quit the game months ago who were never in our guild are suddenly back and applying). It's as if the certainty of the TBC release date has got people to focus on getting ready for it, and part of being ready is obviously being in a stable guild.

You always deal with losing players the same way. Recruitment.

Hardcore raiders are in it for the challenge. If you have everything on farm I can see how you might have a problem, but if not people should still be showing up for the fun of that next first boss kill. If the impending expansion is enough to make them lose interest in the current game then you are better off without them.

If you still have a solid core of people still showing up for raids because they want to experience new content, then you might want to look at trying to find another like-minded guild to merge with.

We had a little burnout at first while we just started 4HM, but we just opened vent up a lot (used to be very mechanical). People joke around and have a much better time now, and attendance hasnt been higher in months.

Oddly enough, several people from my first raiding guild (broke up 7+ months ago) have reappeared in the past week or two. Kinda hopeful about our prospects for making an über 25-man raiding guild once we hit level 70.

That being said, it does seem like guilds that don't have a chance at getting KT down pre-expansion are taking it easy until the expansion. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for every guild, especially given how much burnout AQ40 caused. There's less loot drama too, since nobody cares about this level 60 Tier 3 junk anymore. ;)

I see it as a time to kick back, relax, progress a bit... and I'm eagerly awaiting the expansion... or at least a freakin' beta invite!

We had a small bit of general bad attendance / slacking on consumables. But when Blizzard announced the Jan 07 release date it made people realize that 2-3 months is a long time not to be raiding.

If you still have a solid core of people still showing up for raids because they want to experience new content, then you might want to look at trying to find another like-minded guild to merge with.

this is what i was thinking. hell, you could even make the merge temporary, (or not a full merge but just a raiding merge) then part ways again when the expansion comes out, leaving you with a smaller raiding pool more appropriate to 25 man raids.

We experience this somewhat, i.e. we have 40+ signups on BWL farm nights but only about 35-40 on AQ40 and Naxx progression nights. (Which makes me always wonder: what are those people signing up only for farm raids up to. Attending farm nights, when you do not want to paticipate in progression, seems rather pointless, as the farmed items will be devaluated greatly with the release of TBC. What are these people farming for?)

Our guild leader has stopped the attrition by declaring openly, that those that "fade" out now, will certainly be the first to fall prey to the 25 man downsizing later on. Certainly not the nicest way to go about this issue, but undoubtley effective. Those who will stay through pre TBC depression will form a stable core for future TBC content.

That reminds me, for activities to improve guild cohesion, I highly recommend:

http://www.isketch.net

with the WoW word list and a Vent channel.

This got us through January-May when our server crashed every single day at raid time.

For current guild cohesion, we just make fun of each other nonstop, and nobody is in beta so we have nothing else to do.

If i werent in the place i am now, i would be all for farming content and not caring about progression.

my guild is working on saph atm, one of two guilds on our server to be attempting him and one of four guild to have made any serious progression (read: beyond anub and raz) in naxx. these same 4 guilds are also the only guilds killing cthun. needless to say, we dont have many guilds in the extreme endgame raiding scene.

what my server does have is a number of guilds who can farm BWL and get up to the Twin Emps in AQ. if i were not in my current guild, i would be all for farming content, getting the best of what i can get, then pvping or farming gold. I see alot of ppl standing around IF with tier 3 bracers and belt, but nothing more than that. and they will never get anything beyond it either.

my guild is cutting edge, for our server. i do stand around IF and can pick out all the hunters in Strikers cause they're my guildmates, with exceptions for a few players. i am super happy with where im at, gear wise, progression wise, and guild wise. what i dont get is seeing guilds who have yet to clear the trash to the Twin Emps talk about progressing in Naxx. Simply put, the time frame just isnt there to make any significant progression. January, maybe Febuary if the xpan gets delayed, and everyone is going to be in the Outlands, never again to set foot in BWL, AQ, or Naxx.

im not saying "TBC is coming out, your gear will be useless, stop all progression". but i do advocate some sense of being realisitc. for that guild that just killed the Twin Emps, just focus on Cthun. you may get him down before TBC, and with luck, Ouro too. Focus your energies where they will make the greatest impact. for some, that may be killing KT. or Cthun. or Nef. or hell, even Rag.

in short - figure out what you, and by extension your guild, want before TBC

on a side note - i do see more and more ppl who have quit the game come back and want to get BoP items, ranging from ZG rep items all the way to the Claymore of Unholy Might. *shrug*

We kinda managed to survive longer then 2-3 other guilds on our server so we could recruit some of their old core players and are actually stronger now then before. But its a constant battle for survival. This is nothing new tho, guild leading for me has been mostly fighting attrition since day one. It's alot easier now when we are a bit higher up on the foodchain. When the january news came I could see three options: Let the raiding slowly die / heavy recruiting / stop raiding. I really dont like option 1 and leaned towards 3 for a while, but got some motivation from other players and we recruited.

Our guild hit a bit of a crisis earlier, but we seem to be actively past it now and progressing again. Basically our solution was a harsh one, but seems to have been effective.

Target the players that are saying 'well i cba to raid, theres no point till expansion' and remove them. Replace with people wanting 'to kill KT before expansion'. We went from struggling with attendance for gothik, to making significant progress on 4HM albeit with 3 new mage trialists, 2 priest, 1 druid, 1 rogue, 2 warriors, etc :)

We're lucky in that we're one of few guilds that are holding it together on our server. A couple of major raid guilds just collapsed due to this depression and we're cashing in a little on that.

We're on early Aq40 as a guild, but what we did to improve out attendance was to set our sights higher rather than lower and really push. In our guild at least people didn't want to just sit round beating up the same boring things with 30 people online we told our guild we were going to finish AQ40 and they responded. We had to change a few members but nothing drastic.

Our guild leader has stopped the attrition by declaring openly, that those that "fade" out now, will certainly be the first to fall prey to the 25 man downsizing later on. Certainly not the nicest way to go about this issue, but undoubtley effective. Those who will stay through pre TBC depression will form a stable core for future TBC content.

I think you basically have to do this. It's really not all that different from any other point in a guild's progression--you need to maintain a full raid team. People who go on extended breaks have to get replaced, so coming back in isn't necessarily easy. In general, your core group to start any zone is the enthusiastic group of people who helped you work through the last one. Just don't let people assume Naxx->TBC would somehow be any different.