Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivkah

The Survival Hunter in 3.3

57 posts in this topic

It's not *just* having more arp that makes the glyph switch ideal. When you're at high levels of crit, you could probably crit-cap explosive shot with MT and a trinket proc.

But judging from the amount of static armpen he has, I'd say he isn't really near crit-cap either. Once you get up to BiS 251/264 gear you should generally have anywhere from 45% to 55% static armpen as a SV hunter. At those gear levels it is usually better to glyph SS instead of ES. At lower gear levels (232-245) it is usually better to glyph ES because of the relatively 'low' level of crit you get from that gear (as opposed to ICC gear). The increased crit from the glyph will benefit your dps more than the increased damage of SS, since ES is our big damage ability. I recommend you play around with hunter spreadsheet or online dps calculator to best determine when you should swap over from ES to SS glyph flyfish.

So I've got a dilemma. As I near 80% static 25m buffed crit I'm worried that I'll soon be over the crit cap when abilities/trinkets proc. This will defiantly be more of a concern as I acquire more 277 gear. The only way I've really been able to think of combating this has been to get gear with more armpen and less crit or just no crit all together, but I don't really like the idea of trying for gear with no crit. So my question is: Does anyone know of another way to try and reduce the diminishing returns of crit? I know the cap is 104.5% but at times even now I've seen myself pushing 95% crit with some procs.

So I've got a dilemma. As I near 80% static 25m buffed crit I'm worried that I'll soon be over the crit cap when abilities/trinkets proc. This will defiantly be more of a concern as I acquire more 277 gear. The only way I've really been able to think of combating this has been to get gear with more armpen and less crit or just no crit all together, but I don't really like the idea of trying for gear with no crit. So my question is: Does anyone know of another way to try and reduce the diminishing returns of crit? I know the cap is 104.5% but at times even now I've seen myself pushing 95% crit with some procs.

Well, your goal is still to do as much damage as possible, whether that entails sometimes exceeding the crit cap on some shots or not. Even if some upgrades push you over cap during procs, they are likely still upgrades.

As for gearing to combat that, you don't really have much choice in gear, all 3 specs aim for fairly similar gear, because the alternatives are poor - too much hit, or haste, or not 277 or not providing a good set bonus - this leads to the above situation of an upgrade still being the best choice even when over a crit softcap. As you gear up the problem will sort itself out though, since you'll end up gemming arp instead of agi, which will reduce your crit by 8-10%. Looking at your current gear, you'd potentially gain DPS in your MM spec by gemming arp, and after doing that, assuming you don't have a duplicate set of gear around for SV, your crit would have fallen and you'd likely have so much passive arp that arp would be near equal or better per point than agi - especially if you replaced your arp-less 2hander for one of the arp weapons and gained another 100 or so arp from there. Even if you're not at the point of gemming arp as SV yet, you're already acquiring 277 loot so will be there soon.

Well, your goal is still to do as much damage as possible, whether that entails sometimes exceeding the crit cap on some shots or not. Even if some upgrades push you over cap during procs, they are likely still upgrades.

As for gearing to combat that, you don't really have much choice in gear, all 3 specs aim for fairly similar gear, because the alternatives are poor - too much hit, or haste, or not 277 or not providing a good set bonus - this leads to the above situation of an upgrade still being the best choice even when over a crit softcap. As you gear up the problem will sort itself out though, since you'll end up gemming arp instead of agi, which will reduce your crit by 8-10%. Looking at your current gear, you'd potentially gain DPS in your MM spec by gemming arp, and after doing that, assuming you don't have a duplicate set of gear around for SV, your crit would have fallen and you'd likely have so much passive arp that arp would be near equal or better per point than agi - especially if you replaced your arp-less 2hander for one of the arp weapons and gained another 100 or so arp from there. Even if you're not at the point of gemming arp as SV yet, you're already acquiring 277 loot so will be there soon.

I was thinking about gemming ArmPen in the future as SV but wasn't really sure if it was viable. I'll need to fool around with the spreadsheet when I get a chance to see what my gearing/gems/enchants will be like once I get to mostly 277 BiS. And I know, I'm currently only about 2.5% away from the hard armpen cap in my MM gear if I regemmed, but I enjoy SV more :)

If any other SV hunters have encountered or have at least theory crafted with armpen as SV, send me a pm as I would like to pick your brain if you're up for it :D

If it's any help, I'm near the arp cap since I primarily play MM in raids. However, on the spreadsheet I made a SV spec with my current gear. I wanted to see how much more dps I would gain by switching all my arp gems to agi and I was surprised to see that the spreadsheet showed me LOSING 7 dps when I replace an arp gem with an agi one.

BM-hunters also see a theoretical dps increase on higher levels of arm.pen, by regemming from AP to Arm.Pen, though that might be more obvious considering the shots they're using.

However, I wouldn't reccomend doing it, nor the survival hunters. A DPS-increase of 7 ON A THEORETICAL BASIS is just no enough to cover up for the fact that Arm.Pen will not benefit you much when you are moving (firing ES and maybe AS), which you do quite a lot in ICC.

If it's any help, I'm near the arp cap since I primarily play MM in raids. However, on the spreadsheet I made a SV spec with my current gear. I wanted to see how much more dps I would gain by switching all my arp gems to agi and I was surprised to see that the spreadsheet showed me LOSING 7 dps when I replace an arp gem with an agi one.

The stat values change point-to-point each time you modify something. I´ll try to explain. While most of stats are "linear" and they´re value doesn´t change a lot while you gear up, arpen scales exponentially. Well, the same goes when you start moving from arpen to AGI, it will lose value point to point. 1º Gem X-5, 2º X-4, 3º X-2... 10º x+10 and so on.

Anyway, I wouldn´t been surprised if after changing every gem the DPS is +-5% from arpen to agi since you may have loads of passive arpen and the spreadsheet doesn´t take movement into consideration, so autoshot and steady gain value