Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

surrender

Post-Patch Depression?

184 posts in this topic

I think I have to retract my statements earlier in the post back. After about a week to adjust I think the guild is getting back on track. We should be able to kill Heigan, Loatheb, and Gothik tonight. Then it's working on Four Horsemen. If we can get a day and half working on 4H this week, then I think we should try to spend the first two days doing Raz -> Gothik -> 4H.

Since we are a raiding consortium and not a guild we have been able to add members from other raiding guilds on our server. It does slow down the raids since more time has to be taken to explain how we do the encounter works, but at least we are able to field more then 30 people. As time goes on I am hoping that the extras we add becomes more stable and we can start flowing a little more smoothly.

We are debating doing a UBRS style BWL soon where the raid is run in group loot and its one epic per person, roll for you loot.

actually, that's one of the main reason that EQ is still going. The proverbial carrot on the stick and the forced progression. The disparity between the top end guilds and just regular "middle of the road guilds" was so big that people were motivated to play so one day, they too, could have awesome kick ass gear. This progression took a long time and kept people playing. WoW is the MTV of MMORPGs that gives you what you want, now. It has amazing content, great design, but poor implementation in that regard.

WoW doesnt have this motivation anymore. Gear is free for anyone that wants it for minimal effort. I'd be hard pressed to find a Rogue in Tier 2/2.5 with BWL weapons any better then one that can just PVP now for equal or better gear. There is no motivation to grind out content. Gear is a big motivator weather you admit it or not.

Also in EQ you needed better Gear to better compete with other played in both PVE AND PVP. In EQ, Servers where a giant community. In WOW only your guild is your community. The rest of your server is meaningless. In WoW the only place you compete with other players and guilds is in PVP. Instancing is great, and while the game is fun to play, it doesnt have the addictive qualities and factors EQ did. It just doesn’t

Maybe, but that's also the reason it has, what, 15x the subscriber base EQ ever did? Someone who has never played WoW is much more likely to pick up TBC if they can immediately get into the game, rather than spend 2 years walking up the same treadmill. I can agree that some form of progression is nice, but not when it becomes a wall. Wow doesn't put you at the top immediately, but you gives you an escalator instead of a staircase.

I also think you're underestimating the value of gear progression in WoW. Pre-2.0, many top-end guilds who had people quit simply had no options for recruiting because there is a huge gear divide. I mean, if you have a month left to beat KT and need 2 rogues, you probably don't have time to take some person in blues/T1 and fully deck him/her out in time to beat content even if you knew 100% they were an awesome player who had just never been in a great guild (which is a rarity in itself). Yes, patch 2.0 has reduced this, but that is a recent development purely with the TBC in mind.

This disease of people who doest want to raid anymore is spreading like wildfire on our server.

We had to announce our break today and by now only a handful of guilds and communities still raid naxx.

A quick /who revealed 0 people in BWL and 0 people in Naxx on the day which normally has the most raiding activity.

You are still lucky - ER EU raiding was killed by server being unstable since day one of patch 2.0. Both main Horde raiding teams gave up, it's not much better on Alliance side. "Everyone PvP" hype is not helping, but with constant server hickup kicking everyone out every few minutes in peak raiding hours... With raiding impossible and PvP being "fun" (constant 4-5 sec. lag in anything bigger then WSG game) many people are taking long break, including cancelling TBC pre-orders.

Kaplan mentioned in one of the interviews that they expect many players to stop playing WoW around TBC premiere. Now I understant what he meant by that. ;)

I haven't logged in since the weekend myself. In theory I could improve my levelling gear in a few slots through pvp, but honestly it feels silly (not to mention it's a bit annoying that even the advantage I thought I would have in levelling due to my hours of raiding- having some nice starting weaponry and levelling armor as well as my healing gear- is all gone before anyone gets so much as an outlands quest reward).

Blizzard's plan has been brilliant as far as encouraging the masses to come back to the game and to sign up now. I think we all recognised that hitting the reset button with TBC was going to be good for the game. It's just the hitting the reset button before we have the new TBC stuff to play which is screwing with the raiding population.

I used to sympathize a great deal with the "Blizzard loves raiders and hates casuals" crowd, but not just now :)

I guess the PVP gear would be alright for people leveling if they don't need healing. All that gear is pure crap for healers ... only the two healing weapons are worth it. Just a lot of damage gear.

Eh its all good, at least I'm still 1 of the 2 shamans on my server with ES shoulders so I stand out from the 1000 Warlord shoulders running around now :) I'm glad I won't be pugging come time to grind 60-70.

We took down Thaddius for the first time last night and had people waiting in the wings for a chance to get into the raid. Heigan is next, hopefully on Monday but more likely after the reset. Admittedly everything outside of Naxx progression has stopped in favour of PvP.

You are still lucky - ER EU raiding was killed by server being unstable since day one of patch 2.0. Both main Horde raiding teams gave up, it's not much better on Alliance side.

At least all the people could raid yesterday, even if the server went down once. I had to give up after an hour, since Naxxramas has now 700-2k ping for me, 5-10sec delay on Instant spells and frequent disconnects in fights since the patch. So, while I would like to raid and we still get enough people to do so, I can't. BGs and normal instances work well, raiding sadly doesn't.

My guild just died due to decompression. After we decided to take a break until the release of TBC, the leadership decided that they don't really miss WoW at all and that the guild will presumably become active again in Age of Conan or something. Seems a little strange to me to give up a game, just before the biggest influx of new content since it's release. Though I definitely feel burnt out on raiding myself, I certainly won't miss TBC for better or worse.

Somone quoted Tigole or Tseric here, that TBC will be a time of change for many guilds, as some people gone will resub, while others will use it as an excuse to bow out of the game. I wouldn't have imagined this to be so very much on spot, and I've the feeling the turmoil has just begun. Drama here we come ;)

EDIT: Thinking about it, I guess the <Overrated> rationale has soemthing to it. Better go with a bang, then die to attrition. TBC is basically going to be more or less a reroll anyway, so what does it matter. /shrug