Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carebare

Going Forward: Cataclysm Discussion

356 posts in this topic

Majority of the time all NI does in PvE is increase overhealing.

I disagree. This comes down to the skill of the healer and his knowledge of his raid members. I know that from personal experience playing as a Warlock during the BC days (when Fel Armor boosted healing received). Healers loved the fact that they could hit me with cheaper spells and still get off good throughput. They took advantage of that at a time when mana actually mattered. You can choose to disregard this of course and it probably won't hurt, but it may come into play every once in a while.

The more I think about Efflorescence the more broken it seems. Lifetap + efflorescence seems ripe for abuse.

If that ends up being an issue that is more the fault of the Regrowth part of Nature's Bounty though. I would certainly hope they don't kill efflorescence over it as it seems like a nice new effect. They could make Regrowth heal for 50% extra on targets at or under 25% instead if gaming it becomes something of practical use.

If your healers aren't prioritizing targets on 30% over ones at 90%, I think you might have an issue there :)

My point was more so that healers will really only be healing targets at low health, because those at higher health will "naturally" get healed up. I would imagine players sitting at 75% health will probably never have a heal cast on them, because a) even if they eat damage, said damage won't kill them, and b) either they still have a HoT ticking on them from when they were lower, or they will eat smart heal bounces from players that do need health. I would also imagine that ILotP, JoL, and Healing Spring will be redesigned to be identical, since I doubt blizzard will want to throw something like that away when it has the potential to be interesting again. Whether they become more like ILotP or more like Healing Spring/JoL remains to be seen, of course, but I would still bet on them staying around and being a non-trivial source of raid healing.

Also, when I see "DPS will need to focus on taking less damage" without a profusion of survival talents in other DPS trees, that says to me that that raid damage will come much more in the form of shadow crash and slime pool type mechanics, and much less in the form of raid-wide damage auras. Otherwise, the only point of linking a damage taken meter is to see which class has the best survivability talents, which kind of goes directly against "bring the player". Once again, survival talents will be nice to have, but I can't see many raids wiping just because a DPS doesn't have them.

Efflorescence I think is a fine idea; the problem lies in Nature's Bounty. You don't want to provide that powerful an incentive for players to get below a certain HP threshold--it's abusable, and also simply clunky and not fun to continually try to pick off 25% HP targets in the hope of some reward and probably usually not get it. Deep Healing is fine since it's more continuous (assuming from the description).

^

Thats a lot of points you're using to buff an ability you're only using above 90%.

I assume you are referring to allocating points into both Improved Feral Charge and Predatory strikes? (4 points total)

I think we need to separate out our Ravage talents here. I'm going to walk this back slightly and say that the increased crit rate when attacking a mob over 90% is nice? But if our current raidbuffed crit levels remain comparable to how they currently are in WotLK, Ravage will certainly have a healthy crit chance to start, Predatory Strikes will just likely make the crit guaranteed when the target's HP is high enough. So let's ignore Predatory Strikes for a bit.

There is nothing stopping us from using Feral Charge (as many of us currently do) to get back into position after running away from a mob for whatever raid mechanic. I see being able to re-Ravage a mob again as a bonus. (I'm especially of the opinion that we will see MANY "run away/in!" mechanics, given the Time Warp and Stampeding Charge abilities from the preview, but I will confine further inanity in that regard to a blog post.)

As far as talent point allocation, The way the preview trees are currently set up now, once you allocate points into Ferocity, Sharpened Claws, Feral Instinct Feral Swiftness and Feral Charge, you need to put two points somewhere in order to advance further down the tree, whether you are Cat, or Hybrid. As a Hybrid, you can put off allocating those points until after you get Thick Hide and Primal Fury, but you still run into the same problem of needing to put two points *somewhere*. As a Cat, after getting Shredding Attacks and Primal Fury, I find myself needing to allocate three points. Putting them into IFC makes as much sense as anything in either situation, and is probably a better use of those two points than putting them into, say, Predatory Instincts. As far as Predatory Strikes is concerned.... yes, I suppose Predatory Strikes becomes optional now that it is a Cat-only talent, but I feel that it does help to address the "long cat windup" problem.

I acknowledge that you could dedicate those two or three talent points to Fury Swipes? But doing some quick napkin math here, Bear attack speed is 2.5 without any haste, which translates to about 24 attacks per minute, which (12% proc chance) translates to about two or three extra attacks per minute, which sounds like it should just enough to smooth out our rage gain as our gear scales higher as a direct function of Haste, but not an impressive amount. Cats, this is likely to be a much more complicated calculation of value, but at face value, more auto-attacks = More procs for OoC = more Clearcasting procs for Shred = More DPS. Never mind the added white damage output.

And this thread is toast. Sorry if any conversations were cut off midway, but it's time to segregate things so that discussions can be more easily followed. Thank you everyone for keeping this thread pretty well on course and interesting to read.