Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Narcosleepy

Cataclysm Mage Changes

571 posts in this topic

I'm a bit on the fence regarding the mage changes, arcane in particular. Currently you start really watching your pool when you get to around 50%, and time your oom accordingly to boss phases/evo/mana gem charge. Depending on implementation really, we might have 50% as the new zero, and/or want to blow cooldowns at max mana (I can see much more aggressive Invis use; max damage and all cooldowns at fight start means aggro without MI/Invis at end). I'm hoping the changes won't mean cooldown use/benefit for arcane is less of a strength; on-demand burst is one of the most fun things about playing arcane spec (it feels a lot more nuke-y than the other specs).

I'm not entirely sure about not casting when on the run, except if it's just to delay mana loss; I'd read that they didn't want healers to be standing around doing nothing to regain mana (OO5SR) so I assumed the same for other casters. So unless our instant casts are bad dpm-wise (like ABarr is now, although I suppose we can't rule out other instant casts from other schools) we'll likely still want to be doing something.

Without more information, though, the idea that arcane mastery grants haste and Mana Adept seem to be a bit at odds, since the more haste you have the faster you run oom; unless they're changing it so that haste not only affects spell casting speed but mana regen speed as well. I know I read something awhile back (may only be a rumor; I haven't delved into the other classes' previews) about haste affecting rage generation, although likely that might just be a "nice side effect" of just hitting mobs more and getting rage out of hitting mobs instead of just taking damage.

It certainly means a bit of a mentality switch for arcane, from "must be oom right at end of fight" to "must be above x% mana at all times". To me, it makes the "nuke boss he's almost dead!!" feeling not as heightened for arcane, because you're not supposed to go for an all-out, give-it-all-[mana]-you-got experience now.

Dare I say, Fire's Burnout kind of feels nice for that feeling, if it was in arcane's tree instead. "The boss is almost dead, I need to go all out nuking even at the cost of my health because he's almooooost dead--and now he is!" adds a desperate kind of flavor to a boss fight. Although I doubt it would be a good decision to add that to arcane playstyle: arcane mages would just start looking at their health bars as mana pool extensions and play around that. (As a healer being slightly annoyed at locks using up health to top up mana (at the expense of MY mana), I wouldn't be too happy about that.)

I have difficulty imagining that Mana Adept will be fun in practice. There was a sense at the start of WotLK that Arcane feels heavily dependent on raid support in the form of mana regen to function. Mana Adept looks to be just that; for the mastery to be attractive, the bonus has to be so large that any time we raid without replenishment/wisdom (not unlikely for 10s) or even innervate we will feel penalised. Even casting spells makes us feel penalised - I can't conceive of a scenario where watching your damage output steadily decline is fun. On the other hand, if Arcane is given an efficiency rotation that trivialises mana concerns, then that defeats the purpose of the mastery bonus. The choices seem to be either boring or frustrating.

The philosophy behind it is interesting, but it seem like it something that would be nightmarish to design.

About the changes to Arcane Missile, I wonder if Blizzard has given any thought at all to low level mages speccing into Arcane? If the changes to Arcane Focus is any guide it seems that Arcane will become even more of a utility tree that all mage specs sub into than now.

Without more information, though, the idea that arcane mastery grants haste and Mana Adept seem to be a bit at odds, since the more haste you have the faster you run oom; unless they're changing it so that haste not only affects spell casting speed but mana regen speed as well.

If we get spammable evocation, which we probably would given blue comments, haste would have bearing on our mana regen too.

I've finished a basic spreadsheet of rotations in a generalized format. If tuned correctly what it comes down to is starting with an efficiency rotation and switching to a burn rotation at some midpoint. Assuming a linear decrease in damage, that is. So fairly straightforward 2-cycle dynamic. This doesn't really account for timers, which will likely not change much.

Just a quick note on the subject of Mana Adept (from Eyonix):

The third bonus will be the most interesting, as it will provide an effect completely unique to that tree -- meaning there will be 30 different bonuses of this nature in the game. This third bonus is the one that will benefit from the Mastery rating found on high-level (level 80 to 85) gear.

Given that the mastery system as a whole is so new, is it reasonable to assume there will be the option of not stacking it beyond the small bonus from wearing appropriate armour?

Worst case, if Mana Adept is a poor DPS increase or simply not something all arcane mages enjoy, I should hope that non-Mastery Rating gear is available for most slots. To keep the gearing decisions meaningful in this case, dropping Mastery Rating for additional haste/crit/hit should be a viable tradeoff.

Not as interesting as getting a competitive mastery, but I guess some specs will simply get the short end of the stick in this regard. I'm actually hopeful about the concept of choosing whether or not to stack Mastery Rating, so I hope this is a meaningful choice.

Well as much as I hate to say this, it might become a more standard practice to use PoM on creating a mana gem from now on.

You never know they might actually make it possible for the mage to PoM an evocation, thus restoring 60% of your mana instantly. This meaning you could start at the 100% mark for full damage, using CDs straight away, burst down to 40% and pop PoM Evo to be back at 100% dmg.

Could also possibly introduce a glyph to reduce Evocates Cooldown by an Extra 15secs. With a shorter CD on Evocate you can vary the burst so:

Burst (CDs) > PoM Evo > Maintain Mana (gems? Innervate?) > Burst

I can Dream.

Maybe the "Mana Adept" concept will in essence simply be the Arcane version of fires "Molten Fury", but in reverse, i.e. it's all upfront loading in an encounter.

Gonna be a bugger to get that balanced though.

After soaking it in for a bit, here's my impressions:

Flame Orb: I'm thinking it will work just like Taldaran's orb where it will follow your target in a "straight line", doing the beam damage from OK to anyone along its path. The talent improved version will cause it to explode like in ICC. Pretty cool, I think. It should have a niche in the ranged fire aoe arsenal somewhere between loading up Living Bombs and dropping Flame Strikes.

Time Warp: Is this a Bloodust/Heroism clone? The passive part did sort of make me wonder. Either way, if it is, really cool. The movement speed is nice, but I agree with some others that it'll cause some problems ... especially for mages that decide to pop TW to get out of the fire before they're Sated/Exhuasted...will have a lot of other angry raiders when it happens. I'd rather just have a straight up BL clone and couple the movement speed with something else....like Mirror Image.

Wall of Fog: When I first read this, I saw "Mages are getting Hunter Traps", but then I saw the duration: 10 sec :\. I'd much prefer if it lasted longer like a trap. I can see this spell having some niche encounter usefulness like adds spawning from a particular spot (like Dreamwalker or Saurfang). I like the idea of though and sort of wish we had more of these types of spells.

Arcane Missiles - an interesting change. Assuming it's a base proc on any spells, I'm really hoping they add in some talent spec flavor to make it worth pushing for any spec. Missile Barrage, I'd assume will work how it does now (faster cost, no mana cost), but on any arcane missiles that are cast.

Removing the wards and amp/dampen - I was hoping we'd get a reworking. The wards is kind of annoying, but I'm hoping it's because they're going to make mana shield better, which would make the wards redundant.

Scorch - Definitely about time. I wonder if the damage buff will be a part of the spell itself or something we'll have to talent into.

Arcane Focus - Getting mana back for spells that fail to hit....I'm not sure I like that idea. They state it as being a tool to help manage mana, but how will that be helpful when we're hit capped? Will it work on damage immune mobs? And the idea of cancelling missiles to regain mana also seems very clunky. It just seems odd to build a mana management tool that's only useful when your dps suffers (ie spell misses, interrupting arcane missiles). Seems more like a failsafe to compensate lower dps than it is an actual mana management tool.

Playing With Fire - glad to see it changed, even if it's just a litle bit of PvP flavor.

Pryomaniac - Interestin change. Again will depend on the numbers and logistics. On multi target fights, this will definitely encourage fast target switching to keep the haste buff rolling.

Burnout - Very interesting. How useful it is will largely depend on how much hp is taken when casting a spell. This will at least give fire mages the ability to keep casting should they go oom while waiting for evo or mana gem to come back off cooldown. Will it keep its 50% crit damage bonus aspect?

Mana Adept - Another interesting mechanic. I can see this scaling horribly at first, then better as the expansion goes on where mana pools increase while spell costs stay the same. How well this works will also depend on what mana management tools they have in store for us. If it's just Arcane Focus, Evo, and Mana gems, then we might be screwed. Also, this seems like a problematic balancing design. If they balance around having a lower % of mana, then we'll become over powered if/when we find ways to stay topped off. If they balance around being close to 100% mana, then we'll suffer if we don't have the tools to regularly fill back up.

Ignite - Will this be replacing our current ignite talent except work on all direct damage (including non crits)? Does the direct damage stipulation exclude aoe spells or just dots?

Deathfrost - I see this as their way to mix up frost's rotation. And the spell you use to take advantage of Deathfrost would depend on which procs are up....AM up? use that. FoF and Deep Freeze off cooldown? use that. Just FoF? Maybe Ice Lance...FFB for brain freeze or even just the default spell to use with no other procs up.

One last thing...will Living Bomb be innately affected by haste and crit? I'm assuming the latter, but will the former, if it applies to LB, just fit in additional ticks before the explosion?

The whole thing about haste simply increasing the number of times a DoT (or a HoT) ticks has me wondering whether that means you'll need a very significant amount of haste to receive any benefit at all (enough to fit an extra tick into the same time span)? If that's the way it will work, another consequence is that haste will be full of "sweet spots," points where you get one more tick...one point less and you get no benefit from all that haste (at least for the spell in question), and anything over it giving no additional benefit (for that spell).

I have recovered from some of my initial shock and disgust -- mages become more like warlocks as warlocks become more like mages, to their mutual distaste.

Flame Orb has to be high damage/long CD to be worth including in any rotation. I couldn't see it being used in anything other than a fire rotation, although Deathfrost might encourage its use.

Time Warp Again -- Assuming that Blizzard actually made a typo about the passive Haste effect, and that the raid gets a 30% boost to melee, ranged and spell cast speed, then its nice to have this tool in the shamage's arsenal. If it's a 30% movement speed buff for the mage, it tends to say something about the kinds of fights in Cataclysm. I know that my DPS drops disproportionately when I have to move, so I may not have as much to contribute for DPS to my guild in the future.

Mana Adept -- I cannot grasp how this will work. 10% more damage with a full tank? 3%? 1.4%? Note that Evocation reduces our damage per second by 2-3% on a stand and nuke fight. This combined with the movement speed thing suggests that fights in Cataclysm will be bursty, fight for a few seconds followed by running, regen when you can affairs. Again, I don't hold out much hope of me surviving the cut in Cataclysm.

Arcane Focus -- this is a goofy change, for several reasons, better articulated elsewhere.

PvP focus: more spells and talents for PvP. yay. I tend to dislike PvP with a passion, doing it only when required for certain achievements -- it feels like cleaning out the P-trap in the bathroom, something necessary but distasteful. Playing With Fire is only useful for Fire specs that have Blast Wave and you get hit by melee -- since this does not happen in raids, at least where the mage survives ...

Pyromaniac -- hmm. You have 8 casts of LB before you have to start reapplying it. After the 3rd one, or perhaps the 4th, you get some haste, allowing you to apply 8.2 casts before you have to start reapplying it. Again, primarily for PvP and clearing trash.

Wall of Fog -- personally, I see lots of dead mages trying to use this in instance and raid encounters. Maybe it would work on murlocs ...

The good: mage food-water scales and isn't introduced until it makes a difference. It makes more sense than today's confused mangle of refreshments. Similarly, no spell ranks. However, these are quality-of-life things that aren't specific to the mage.

While I am no longer shocked and disgusted, I can say, sincerely, that I am underwhelmed and saddened.

The one thing I see repeated in this thread over and over, and Vontre mentioned it as well, everyone seems to think the arcane rotation is going to remain the same. Mana Adept has been analyzed pretty well thus far, with the information we've received, but there's one aspect I don't think I've read about yet. Everyone thus far seems to assume that AM will be available for you to clear your AB stacks. That is no longer a definite. We may have to use Abarr to clear stacks, or switch to a different school long enough for stacks to fall off. Unless there is another arcane spell inserted for us to take advantage of the damage boost afforded by AB, or the arcane tree has a very good boost to AM proc chance, our main nuke has lost a lot of it's appeal.

The whole thing about haste simply increasing the number of times a DoT (or a HoT) ticks has me wondering whether that means you'll need a very significant amount of haste to receive any benefit at all (enough to fit an extra tick into the same time span)? If that's the way it will work, another consequence is that haste will be full of "sweet spots," points where you get one more tick...one point less and you get no benefit from all that haste (at least for the spell in question), and anything over it giving no additional benefit (for that spell).

Actually, because Blizzard has said that recasting a DoT or HoT will not result in clipping the last tick (talked about in the Warlock Cataclysm preview), but will instead extend the time of the DoT or HoT, I think that will end up smoothing out the haste "sweet spots". The only time I see the haste "sweet spots" really occurring are when we cannot control when a DoT or HoT will be reapplied (i.e. a random component proc'ing the application of the DoT/HoT) or when we have no choice but to let the DoT/HoT fall off, because the time will not be extended to allow the DoT/HoT to continue ticking.

For example, if you've enough haste to get an extra 1/4 of a tick of damage on your DoT, if you let the DoT fall off, you would lose that final tick, making the haste wasted and causing the occurrence of a "sweet spot" for haste. However, if you can make sure that the DoT doesn't fall off (recast just prior to its expiration), according to what Blizzard has said, it'll extend the time. That means that now 1/2 of the time toward your extra DoT tick will be gotten through by the time the first reapplication is set to expire. Extending that twice more then provides enough time for your extra damage tick to hit.

So, assuming that the fight is long enough, any amount of additional haste will be beneficial for DoTs/HoTs that can be maintained and we won't see the very clear "sweet spots" for haste due to an extra tick fitting into the single duration of a DoT/HoT. We will still get some "sweet spots" occurring for fitting in the extra DoT/HoT based on the duration of the fight or the expected amount of average uptime of your DoT/HoT, but as the length of the expected duration of the DoT/HoT continuous uptime increases relative to the single DoT/HoT duration, the bumps for these "sweet spots" should become smaller.

The uncertain case is Living Bomb, where we can't refresh it early, and wouldn't want to even if we could. At least any of the following are possible:

- Extra ticks, with sweet spots whenever you reach the next.

- Extra ticks, with a final, partial tick at the end to avoid sweet spots.

- Shortening the duration. This would be awesome, although it makes Pyromaniac harder to keep up.

- No haste scaling at all.

A likely reason they didn't mention Living Bomb scaling is that they haven't decided which approach to take yet.

Besides, regarding LB it should be taken into consideration, that the explosion at the end would be delayed if reapplying LB increases it's duration (as many HoT/DoT are being described in previews) So in trash or bosses what are we gonna do? Refreshing LB or letting it fall an reapply?

I also agree, that we'll have to wait and not jump to conclussions regarding Mana Adept, like most I'm concerned about how it will play out, but I'll hold my tongue (or fingers) until we see what other changes are coming for arcane (talents + rotations)

The one thing I see repeated in this thread over and over, and Vontre mentioned it as well, everyone seems to think the arcane rotation is going to remain the same. Mana Adept has been analyzed pretty well thus far, with the information we've received, but there's one aspect I don't think I've read about yet. Everyone thus far seems to assume that AM will be available for you to clear your AB stacks. That is no longer a definite. We may have to use Abarr to clear stacks, or switch to a different school long enough for stacks to fall off. Unless there is another arcane spell inserted for us to take advantage of the damage boost afforded by AB, or the arcane tree has a very good boost to AM proc chance, our main nuke has lost a lot of it's appeal.

I'm not assuming that MBAM will be available for clearing stacks.

1) Since AB applies a stacking debuff that consumes mana faster and faster, and Mana Adept buffs you based on how little mana you have spent, the sweet spot for AB stacks will likely change for the bulk of the fight, i.e., before the burn phase. (This notion is introduced and quantized by Faxmonkey on the WoW forums.)

2) If AM procced at the same rate as MBAM and/or they procced together, clearing AB stacks would be "easy", but I doubt that this is the case. We will likely have only Arcane Barrage available for clearing AB stacks, or else Arcane Explosion, or else letting the stack wear off. (Also, attribution incoming).

3) With 4 arcane spells, 1 of which depletes both mana and DPS, 1 of which is AoE only, 1 of which is talented at the deepest level, and one which needs to proc (AM or MBAM or both), we may be really, really limited in what we can cast to achieve high-DPS rotations.

With 4 arcane spells, 1 of which depletes both mana and DPS, 1 of which is AoE only, 1 of which is talented at the deepest level, and one which needs to proc (AM or MBAM or both), we may be really, really limited in what we can cast to achieve high-DPS rotations.

One thing that we really dont know about yet, which is more then likely possible, is the fact that due to them removing a variety of different lower spells which really dont have any definition for the class, they will be adding newer and better skills into each tree. If you look at it Arcane was one of the trees that never really had an immense list of spells which were used in the optimal DPS rotation. By the looks of fire and frost updates it seems like arcane would more then likely get one or more new spells along the road to 85. And off of what Blizzard has lead to plenty of times, they want to remove spells which really arnt being used and implement newer spells which make the players think about which spell they want to cast, or add a new spell which will absolutely be involved in a new optimal rotation.

There is a lot of talk about what we may or may not use to clear our AB stacks etc, but has it even been stated anywhere that AB will continue to work this way? Considering the Adept mastery and AM now being a proc based spell, one would assume there is a pretty good chance the functions of our AB stacks as we know it may not even exisit.

There is a lot of talk about what we may or may not use to clear our AB stacks etc, but has it even been stated anywhere that AB will continue to work this way? Considering the Adept mastery and AM now being a proc based spell, one would assume there is a pretty good chance the functions of our AB stacks as we know it may not even exisit.

Exactly. The way it looks, the rotation we use right now will not be optimal with the implementation of Adept. The stacking mana effects of our AB is far to much of a mana drain to work over a very long fight. So unless the lowest mana cost rotation is enough DPS (with Adept in effect) to out due our current rotation, there will be needed modifications to our spells to make arcane work.

I can only see a few solutions for this to be possible.

#1- Modify Arcane Blasts so the mana cost is far lower.

#2- The tree itself has new talents which give / modify the use of mana.

#3- Our mana regeneration is greatly higher in arcane... and the only way for this to be effective scaling with gear is to have haste influence our mana regen (because thats what arcane will focus on, haste). Thus meaning that the more gear we have with haste the more mana we have to use, which would mean that with lower gear fire probably would beat arcane in DPS... but with BiS haste gear arcane would be very high DPS because of the amount of mana regeneration. Having a talent in the tree which focused on regen off spirit would be a horrible idea and Blizz knows that. Then gear would take arcane off its focal point, haste, and on spirit... which would be gimping the tree.

Im sure theres other ideas out there on how mana to DPS will scale and adjust. But with no more information its going to be impossible to figure out how arcane will be approached. There will be multiple talents from the arcane tree which will be removed. The only thing we can do now is to try and guess how blizzard will adjust the tree.

Actually, given the Mana Adept mastery, it would make sense for Arcane Blast to continue to interacting with mana in some way. AM becoming a proc doesn't have any bearing on AB stacks at all, since we could always clear it with Arcane Barrage. While the detailed implementation could change, the basic idea of trading DPS for DPM would most likely remain given Blizzard's stated intent of making Arcane the mana management spec.

Arcane Focus - Getting mana back for spells that fail to hit....I'm not sure I like that idea. They state it as being a tool to help manage mana, but how will that be helpful when we're hit capped?

I should refer to blue posts:

Combat ratings - All ratings will be much harder to "cap out" at maximum gear levels. Ratings will be steeper in Cataclysm, and creatures in later tiers of content will be harder to hit or crit, similar to how level-83 mobs are harder to hit or crit than level-80 mobs.

As I've said, it doesn't really work that way though. Say you need 300 hit (using arbitrary numbers here) and your tier set provides 250 hit and you get the rest from gems and jewelry. Everything's cool. Now a new patch comes out and your tier set has 230 hit. No problem. You get rid of some of the gems and jewelry. Now a new patch comes out and your tier set has 240 hit. Now you curse Blizzard every time an item drops with hit on it.

In short, later gear has more of the same stat on it. When the stats are easily capped, the larger pools become hard to work around. I compared it today to playing Tetris with really large pieces. It's hard to make the puzzle work.

We’re not sure yet how bosses will “level up†in subsequent tiers. The general idea is that currently you need a specific amount of hit and after that hit becomes worthless even though more hit goes onto higher level gear. Furthermore it creates odd balance problems when you are critting and avoiding the most powerful bosses by more than you did the earliest bosses (because your gear keeps getting better while they just get more health and damage).

If Blizzard executes on their intent, Arcane Focus is likely to have some use.

I should refer to blue posts:

If Blizzard executes on their intent, Arcane Focus is likely to have some use.

Well, it might be harder to achieve the hit cap, but mages WILL achieve it. If they can't get it through gear they'll gem it until they're capped. When bosses need more hit for 100% hit cap, mages will gear and gem more hit. Ultimately the result is that mages won't be missing. The concept of gaining mana through missing is as bad as an idea as gaining spellpower through taking damage was. This, however, could be exploited. This new change however is essentially refunding you the mana caused by a miss. I'd suggest it might be useful for other specs using Arcane spells but in the absence of any hit base talents we'll have the same chance to hit with all schools.

Don't get me wrong, regaining mana from a miss isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's a leveling or a pvp talent rather than a raiding one. The talent as a whole seemed like an odd one for the blues to highlight.

Flame Orb: I like the spell, I dislike the concept behind how it works. Having it fire as a straight line spell just seems incredibly unwieldy, both in PvE and PvP. It would really function better in a Princes style - that is it focuses on a target, deals small AoE on the way there, and explodes on impact dealing damage to the target and smaller AoE damage to those around. If they gave it a Princes size range (I admit this won't happen) it would be an incredibly fun ability to fire into the distance in BGs.

In the quest to make this spell function uniquely, however, they run the risk of making it function poorly.

Time Warp (level 83): You can't really complain about getting Bloodlust. It does feel slightly like we haven't really gained anything though - we already have this, the only difference is that we can push the button ourselves now. I'd be interested to see how the run speed works - ie will be be a short term dash or a long term 10% buff etc.

It does fit the Arcane feel, though I would have much prefered to see something new - ie a Time Stop effect for Arcane - that's really just wishlisting, however.

Wall of Fog: This will be fun in rated BGs. I suspect, also, that mages will play a part in kiting in certain PvE encounters. With three mages you could chain Walls of Fog for example to keep something permanently kited.

Arcane Missiles is being redesigned to become a proc-based spell: This will certainly make other specs more fun at low levels. I feel a little uncomfortable with all mages dishing out missiles but that's just a flavour issue. I will assume Missile Barrage will become 'passive' for Arcane. That is any missiles we fire will always be double speed, and perhaps the talent will increase the proc chance.

Something will need to be introduced to ensure Arcane can function at low levels - at the moment they're running out of buttons to push.

We are planning to remove spells that don't have a clear purpose. Amplify Magic, Dampen Magic, Fire Ward, and Frost Ward are being removed from the game, and we may remove more: At first glance I hate this. This is possibly because I've retained IA and still use wards on certain fights. If IA is being removed anyway most the incentive is gone. Still, in terms of additional survivability in the Wards are great, and in PvP there are several glyphs and talents that play off the wards.

Mana Adept: Arcane should be about mana management but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it. For a spec that can burn through mana faster than any other single target spec, adding the necessity to maintain full mana feels clunky. I can appreciate the effort to give us a more interesting mastery than just +arcane damage but this feels difficult to manage. Rather than gain burst as people are suspecting, we'll lose it, because under all cooldowns we will quickly burn through mana, meaning 10 or so seconds in we're already operating at lower damage.

Deathfrost: I wouldn't be surprised if this was tweaked to exclude Frost spells. If the bonus builds up to quick it's going to result in killer ice lances and frostfire bolts in PvP. Frost mages could potentially build up a stack via frostbolts then unleash a huge frostfire bolt/ice lance shatter combo. I think this is geared more toward the new Arcane proc than anything else.

Well, it might be harder to achieve the hit cap, but mages WILL achieve it. If they can't get it through gear they'll gem it until they're capped. When bosses need more hit for 100% hit cap, mages will gear and gem more hit. Ultimately the result is that mages won't be missing.

This is only true if they don't tweak the rating conversion. Currently hit is the best stat because it takes the least amount of rating per %-point. If the hit-rating conversion gets tweaked to be much more expensive than haste/crit/int then you might not gem for it, as gemming for haste/crit/int would provide more dps. It's all in the numbers, and until we see any it's pointless to make these sort of assumptions.

I don't remember, but have they mentioned a tweaking of the current racials? Addition of BL to mages, might be an indication that Troll Bezerking is out the window as well. There could also be some limitation on the ability to stack these effects, i.e. NOT being able to stack IV/BL/Beserking.

I don't remember, but have they mentioned a tweaking of the current racials? Addition of BL to mages, might be an indication that Troll Bezerking is out the window as well. There could also be some limitation on the ability to stack these effects, i.e. NOT being able to stack IV/BL/Beserking.

Yes.. I don't recall them mentioning any specific changes, but I do remember them saying, basically, all the 'boring' racials would be replaced with something they consider more fun/interesting.

I have no idea if they'll change berserking, they may well, but I don't think the stacking would be any more of an issue that it is now. It's only a 10sec buff.

This is only true if they don't tweak the rating conversion. Currently hit is the best stat because it takes the least amount of rating per %-point. If the hit-rating conversion gets tweaked to be much more expensive than haste/crit/int then you might not gem for it, as gemming for haste/crit/int would provide more dps. It's all in the numbers, and until we see any it's pointless to make these sort of assumptions.

Yeah. Remember, one of the reasons people tend to say "we'll cap hit no matter what" is because we've historically had to deal with encounters where a missed Counterspell or Spellsteal (or Taunt, for a Warrior) can be disastrous. But there's a simple solution to that problem, which GC has talked about as a possibility: just make it so those spells can't miss. If they do that, then Hit becomes just another DPS stat, and we'll only cap it if that's the most efficient use of our available itemization.

Regarding Arcane Focus, there is a way that it could be useful even when hit capped. The wording in the preview implies that the mana refund would apply not just to misses, but also to spells that are in the air or mid-channel when a mob dies. Thus, when burning down an add that dies quickly (e.g., blood beasts), there would be less concern about wasting valuable mana that could be used on the boss. I suspect this may be an effort to forestall complaints of arcane mages refusing to switch to adds in a Mana Adept-spurred conservation strategy, and it would also be consistent with the overall effort to make target switches less painful.