Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Narcosleepy

Cataclysm Priest Changes

636 posts in this topic

With the combined grace change (24% is massive) and a 20% base increase in heals power we will be seeing a massive increase to single target tank healing that I believe makes the smite spec obsolete. Previously the hps of smite vs heal was close but these combined make heal simply head and shoulders better than smite for any sort of raiding. Coupled with the existing issues of hit box and random targeting I feel that smite will be relagated back to 5 man healing and pvp.

I also expect that a non-smite build will have the highest singly target throughput of any healing class now, even bigger than holy pallies though not by much. Of course pallies still will do more healing overall in 2 tank situations thanks to bacon. The other side effect is that pennance is now significantly less healing than GH so it makes far more use to use it as an emergancy heal or grace re-stacker than as an on cooldown heal.

Exactly what I was thinking, but it then goes to the question

heal for 'standard healing'

GH for 'larger top up

penance for 'near death' situations

would maybe the way to go?

About Penance on cooldown or for emergencies, I think it is not only related to the throughput, but also to heal per mana differences between spells.

(According to cata.wowhead.com) Penance is 14% base mana, GH 27%. As long as mana is a concern for discipline, and GH doesn't do twice the healing, Penance usage won't drop very low in the single target arsenal.

I've not checked in beta, but if Penance still benefit of Borrowed Time without consuming it, it's also a great spell to use when you have the buff.

Also penance can be used to attempt to apply inspiration quickly. 3 chances in less time than it would take to cast a gheal.

In Atonement spec, the average smite is healing for around 4-5k in mostly 264 gear. Going Smite*3, Archangel, spam Heal and FH, with Shield, Penance and the Prayers when necessary, I'm having literally no mana issues at the moment. That's been the case in TotGC, Ulduar HMs and ICC/RS Heroics.

IT helps having Inner Focus and Divine Hymn on a macro for those 'oh crap!' moments.

IT helps having Inner Focus and Divine Hymn on a macro for those 'oh crap!' moments.

Something to note, Inner Focus now only affects Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and Prayer of Healing. Throw away your old Inner Focus + Divine Hymn macros.

Something to note, Inner Focus now only affects Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and Prayer of Healing. Throw away your old Inner Focus + Divine Hymn macros.

Then I'll have to report it as a bug, because on my guild's Yogg+1 attempts, I wasn't losing mana from using the macro. I've seen the tooltip update, as well - I burned it in this past Sunday's attempt, and it was consumed as though it was 3.3.5. Interesting indeed.

Then I'll have to report it as a bug, because on my guild's Yogg+1 attempts, I wasn't losing mana from using the macro. I've seen the tooltip update, as well - I burned it in this past Sunday's attempt, and it was consumed as though it was 3.3.5. Interesting indeed.

I just tested it. I think your eyes were deceiving you. Does not work as advertised. Although do note, Divine Hymn is fairly cheaper now compared to what it use to be; it's mana cost is similar to Greater Heal.

Tested both trying to cast with not sufficient mana to use Divine Hymn, and also tested using Inner Focus + Divine Hymn macro, it still took my mana.