Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hegen

WotLK Healing Compendium v3.3.5: Fun in the Twilight with Halion

185 posts in this topic

In regards to the disc vs holy HPS discussion: by not factoring in the DA procs you are also gimping the disc priest out of a significant amount of healing.

Some of my ideas and views on if the shadowfiend glyph is necessary.

We have very few options that really aid us in our minor glyphs. Levitate and fading are typically taken along with fiend. Even if the pet dies only 5% of the time, that's still more beneficial than lowering the cost of Prayer of Fortitude in my opinion. Typically you can avoid letting the pet die, don't use it during Pungent Blight, during LK phase change, ect.

In a perfect world, if you could time it perfectly to have the pet die to raid damage right before his own 15 second life expires, then you would be gaining yourself an additional 5% mana, but raid environments are not perfect vacuums.

Example:

Festergut's Pungent Blight.

Before Pungent Blight, Festergut hits like a truck, and most healers will be healing the tanks.

I prefer our Disc priest to be also on the tank at that time : shields / divine aegis will smooth a little the damage, the fast flash heal spam will also smooth the health, and inspiration is goodly good when most of the raid damage is physical damage on 1 tank. I can see tanks dying between 2 holy lights casts at that time.

Pungeant blight is not deadly at all if the raid used correctly the spores. It's pretty easy for 1/2 holy priest, and shamys / druids to top up the raid after it.

I do not see the point of the whole "holy vs disc" discussion. I have two PvE Speccs, one for holy and the other for disc, and also some items to change out when switching speccs. I healed both disc and holy for whole IDs, depending on what was missing. And I can say that that they are nearly equal in terms of hps, each of them with strengths and weaknesses.

Overall, my hps as disc is higher, mostly because of the fact that shields don't overheal. But yeah, disc is lacking burst, I often have the feeling that power infusion + prayer of healing is not enough sometimes. Unfortunately there are only few fights in ICC where I would say holy > disc: Lanathel and Sindragosa (and Dreamwalker boss healing of course). Maybe also Festergut. On every other encounter there is no unpredictable burst aoe that I can't handle being disc and beside the mentioned bosses shields are way better than renew/pom/coh. I'd love to see an encounter with high burst damage like Ignis, XT, Kologarn or Hodir again. These were bosses where holypriests could reach their full potential. Maybe Ruby Sanctum...

I prefer our Disc priest to be also on the tank at that time : shields / divine aegis will smooth a little the damage, the fast flash heal spam will also smooth the health, and inspiration is goodly good when most of the raid damage is physical damage on 1 tank.

That's basically what I called the "tank healer support" role earlier. Festergut is actually a good example for an encounter where this role exists, though only for parts of the fight. Nice one.

I do not see the point of the whole "holy vs disc" discussion.

Yes, and it won't go into the compendium, though mostly for the reason that in 25 man it's a complete non-issue anyway. Regarding pure meters performance, disc is bound to pull ahead anyway, due to the ICC aura increasing in strength. Since disc has a very low overheal quota, my suspicion is that disc will profit the most (on the meters). We have already seen disc move forward quite bit in the rankings since the aura has progressed from 0 to 10%.

In 10 man, however, there is a real choice between disc and holy for raid healing in most raid compositions. The choice can be an interesting one, and it's fully worth discussing which spec effectively provides the most HPS. So, in my opinion, the discussion is still a good one.

The only thing I ask is getting away from a meters discussion.

That's basically what I called the "tank healer support" role earlier. Festergut is actually a good example for an encounter where this role exists, though only for parts of the fight. Nice one.

Another one is Rotface in fact. The OT takes rare burst damage, which disc is king to heal. And disc also has perfect tools to take over MT healing duty when MT healers need to move. In fact, I love this reactive healing part of disc, in order to save tanks. I think it's their best use : no other healer can do it, and up to now, I've not seen any fight where the HP-buffing role is crucial (as it was with Freya).

I'm fairly new to disc priest healing, so I've got a couple of questions. I apologize ahead of time is this is the wrong place.

first, Glyph of Holy Nova vs Glyph of Prayer of Healing, I've noticed, at least for me, that I tend to spam Holy Nova moreso than using PoH, thus it would seem a better glyph. Or am I just mistaken and shouldn't HN spam.

2nd, is there a good add-on, unit frame that shows pw:s, etc... on toons. I'm using x-perl, and though it has a shield option on it (purple outline), it doesn't seem to show it. Or is grid or healbot just completely superior?

I'm fairly new to disc priest healing, so I've got a couple of questions. I apologize ahead of time is this is the wrong place.

first, Glyph of Holy Nova vs Glyph of Prayer of Healing, I've noticed, at least for me, that I tend to spam Holy Nova moreso than using PoH, thus it would seem a better glyph. Or am I just mistaken and shouldn't HN spam.

2nd, is there a good add-on, unit frame that shows pw:s, etc... on toons. I'm using x-perl, and though it has a shield option on it (purple outline), it doesn't seem to show it. Or is grid or healbot just completely superior?

Grid has really nice options to set up showing PW:S, and the weakened soul debuff. I much prefer it over healbot and xperl. There is a summary of how to set up grid in the beginning of this compendium.

As for glyphs, it may just be preference or what level of content you're currently raiding, 10/25, hm's, ect. In 25 man I'll hit my group, generally all healers with a holy nova if we're close, on the move, and just need a little bit of heals/DA procs, ie sindragosa after her grip. I will however often find myself using PoH depending upon my healing composition of the day, especially in 10 mans when with a pally.

Things to take into consideration, what glyph are you giving up to use either of those? Do you flash heal often enough to use the 10% mana cost. Without being able to view your priest, it's difficult to tell if you are using an incorrect glyph, like no penance, or PW:S.

The cookie cutter disc spec isn't maximizing the versatility of the disc spec. With current mana levels, there's no reason not to spec renew and grab the renew glyph over the flash heal glyph.

For a long time people have been hating on renew. Granted it's not as good as a druids rejuv, that doesn't make it a worthless spell at equal gear levels.

Unfortunately there are only few fights in ICC where I would say holy > disc: Lanathel and Sindragosa (and Dreamwalker boss healing of course). Maybe also Festergut.

BQL

WoW Meters Online - Combatlog Replay

Sindragosa

Disc still came out on top for BQL, but slightly below on Sindragosa. But Sindragosa is a special case, has long periods of time where you can't actually cast (HM), with the raid dipping quite low in HP, cutting HoT overheal down 30-40%. Plus the fact of the timing of sequential Unstable Magics, and the timing of Ice tombs (tomb in phase 3 = 10-15sec down time... when the raid is in the most need of healing). But, I'd probably never go Holy for BQL, but I do switch to that for Sindragosa when we have 2 paladin's in the raid.

I would have to disagree with that statement completely (along with the original quoted post regarding the role for that fight).

Why would the disc priest NEED to be healing the tanks for the 3rd inhale phase? You've got 2-3 raid healers, sitting there wanding the boss, from a lack of raid dmg (minus the small bursts from the Vile Gas). There is no raid dmg, so all of those healers should be pouring their healing into the tanks.

The Disc priest is the only one who can effectively heal ahead of time, and do so much more effectively.

A HoT isn't going to save 10 peoples lives, from a 20k explosion and 2 AoE pulses in 3 sec, a PW:S would.

As for Rotface, there is a reason why Disc priest's are topping the healing charts for this particular encounter. Its because 95% of the dmg taken in this fight other than tank dmg, is preventable with a PW:S.

Lets face it, Disc Priest 'tank healers' were never really that strong, compared to all the other classes. Just look at Shaman/Druid healing parses for Dreamwalker. True, those are only 30 sec worth of healing with 30 seconds of downtime, but it just illustrates the gap in the actual tools each class has.

I read a thread one time from the PTR, where they tracked each classes single target HPS with PTR-Premade gear (not ideal, but ehh).

The list went as: Paladin=Druid (Almost identical HPS)>Shaman (around 10% lower)>Holy Priest (another 10-15% lower)>Disc Priest (40-45% lower than the Paladin, but not factoring absorbs, but absorbs would only add another 10-20%.... of total HPS).

The 'niche' role for the Disc priest, was simply healing bursts of tank dmg, not sustained and constant incoming dmg, that current content pretty much exclusively has.

Example:

Ever tank Vezax with a bear druid? ...

I had PW:S's EXPIRE on the MT... on Hard Mode....

Thats the only style tank dmg, where Disc priest's are actually more favorable to tank heal, than a Druid/Sham, but those don't really exist anymore, with the zonewide debuff from ICC (which is fairly standard in all higher content, tank dmg either goes from mostly physical, to almost exclusively magic, or they just hit faster..).

The cookie cutter disc spec isn't maximizing the versatility of the disc spec. With current mana levels, there's no reason not to spec renew and grab the renew glyph over the flash heal glyph.

Why would you use a 12 sec, 10-12k HoT, when a 30sec PW:S would heal for just as much, and last 2.5x as long? Not even counting the 50-70% overheal ratio of standard HoT's, vs 0 overheal value of a PW:S.

Regarding pure meters performance, disc is bound to pull ahead anyway, due to the ICC aura increasing in strength.

Disc Priest's topped those same meter's, in the introduction of ICC, not after the buff came around. The only reason Holy started gaining some of its lost ground when the % Buff became active, was because Disc wasn't getting their portion of that same bonus.

Its more of a matter of Disc Priest's scaling, in general, mainly due to the fact of the huge spellpower coefficient of PW:S to spellpower. But we are getting towards the abolute extremes of gearing (kinda like DPS gets out of control at extremely high gear levels), to the point where we are exceeding blizzards original estimations, entering area's that weren't fully anticipated.

For a long time people have been hating on renew. Granted it's not as good as a druids rejuv, that doesn't make it a worthless spell at equal gear levels.

Mana is rarely an issue these days, but when working on fights like Sindragosa HM, I'd much rather have a PoH or flash heal glyph to maximize my heals outside of tombs/unchained. Go holy if you're wanting to utilize renew to its fullest advantage.

And going off what Sgat said, with DA being procced off PW:S glyph correctly now and the ICC buff, bubbles are providing an even larger buffer to any spike damage, random or consistant in fights, disc renews will not do that.

Not to mention, improved flash heal, renewed hope, and grace talents that you forfeit if using renew over flash heal.

with DA being procced off PW:S glyph correctly now and the ICC buff

I try to avoid referencing crit functions, it gets to speculative, and is completely RNG. Getting a 3-3.5k crit with the glyph of PW:S, is only going to be another 1k ish absorb effect, and be completely random. Its a bonus for fights like Lich King Heroic, where 1/2 of even the best geared Disc's shields are getting broken, and then some, by Infests (although that extra bonus hurts more than helps for normal, as you almost never get any Rapture procs....).

The niche for renew in a disc spec is basically in 10 man, where you have moments where all targets are shielded or have weakened soul and PoM is on cooldown. In that case, renew is an option. In 25 man that never really happens. Which usecase did you have in mind where you would favor renew over Pw:S?

BQL

Disc still came out on top for BQL, ... But, I'd probably never go Holy for BQL.

Why would the disc priest NEED to be healing the tanks for the 3rd inhale phase? You've got 2-3 raid healers, sitting there wanding the boss, from a lack of raid dmg (minus the small bursts from the Vile Gas). There is no raid dmg, so all of those healers should be pouring their healing into the tanks.

Its more of a matter of Disc Priest's scaling, in general, mainly due to the fact of the huge spellpower coefficient of PW:S to spellpower.

Regarding BQL: your combat log is another example why it's so difficult to rate performance based on logs. You could have done the encounter with a healer less, and that would have changed the relative amounts healed. Once there's too much healing, the disc priest always wins. You will be easily able to top your eHPS from that log if you are really challenged, but there will also be more leeway for other healers to land their heals. Holy priests are quite easily capable of exceeding effective 10k HPS on BQL.

Regarding Fenstergut, this may be another case where a disc priest can fulfill the tank healer support role perfectly, only he's more valuable as a shield spammer. I will have a look at a few more combat logs, though. There's probably more than one way to deal with that phase, depending on raid comp.

Regarding scaling: disc priests scale well, but the spellpower coefficient is only part of that. We do need that coefficient, because we scale so poorly with crit and haste (at least when we're shield spamming). The fact that most of our healing is overheal free makes our healing scale so well regarding effective healing.

It's a really interesting discussion we have here, about the role of the Disc priest in a raid. Thanks for you comments.

Just to clarify my point: I wasn't discussing the relative value of HPriest vs DPriest at all, but showing that the main assignment of a DPriest on good 25 raid should be:

1) PW:S+PoM spamming on the raid: PW:S on the players that you know will take some damage during the next 30 seconds, PoM on the tank or on a group of players that are close together and that will take some damage.

2) Assist on low health targets with Penance (very useful on tanks)

3) Assist on low health targets with FH if Penance is on CD and this target is affected by the weakened soul debuff and need to be healed immediately

4/5) *insert the use of PoH and Holy Nova here*

6) if everyone is covered by PW:S and not supposed to take dmg in the next 30 seconds and if you penance is on CD, either dps (if everyone is full hp) or heal with FH.

In 10 players raid with a tank healer (best situation):

1 to 3) same as previous

3) renew on appropriate targets (tanks for example) to fill the time gap before the end of the weakened soul debuff on the raid (usually 2 or 3 GCD)

In a 10 players raid without a tank healer, Disc being assigned to tank healing :

1) PW:S > PoM > Penance > FH(/Renew) on the tank

2) If tank is secure, use extra GCD to PW:S appropriate targets (you gain the BT haste buff as a bonus).

I don't think there is much to discuss about the utility of the DPriest covering as many players he can with is PW:S, in a 25 players raid situation. Everyone agrees, and the logs I've pointed show the evidence.

It's true that DPriest performance increases artificially when there is too much raid wipe overhealing for example when there are too many healers compared to the incoming dmg). But still if a raid leader as the choice between totally preventing dmg (via absorbs) or totally healing dmg after it occured, I'm pretty sure no one would chose the second solution, because it's less safe.

As I mentioned before, and as several fellow priests confirmed in this topic, the ICC encounters design makes the raid-PW:S-DPriest spammer shine. And I believe that there is only one encounter (Sindragosa) were the raid doesn't loose much if he doesn't have a DPriest assigned on raid healing.

I think that in the "raiding as a DPriest" we should also mention the use of Power Infusion and Pain Suppression: priority of targets, and when to use it. This is another great utility of the DPriest.

In a 10 players raid without a tank healer, Disc being assigned to tank healing :

1) PW:S > PoM > Penance > FH(/Renew) on the tank

2) If tank is secure, use extra GCD to PW:S appropriate targets (you gain the BT haste buff as a bonus).

I would rather use something like PW:S > PoM > Penance > GH (with BT) > FH/Renew on the Tank as PoM and Penance don't consume BT and a 1.5s GH is pretty good.

The list went as: Paladin=Druid (Almost identical HPS)>Shaman (around 10% lower)>Holy Priest (another 10-15% lower)>Disc Priest (40-45% lower than the Paladin, but not factoring absorbs, but absorbs would only add another 10-20%.... of total HPS).

Without even counting PW:S, a DPriest with Raidbuffed ~40% Crit would gain some ~15% HPS through Divine Aegis. And with the PW:S you gain even more HPS. If you are in 10-M and run without a tank-paladin, you could also factor in the 3% reduced dmg to the whole raid. The main Problem of Dreamwalker is that absorbs don't heal the boss. But as absorbs are what creates the DPriest niche and makes him a preferred healer that is fine imho.

Right now, in most encounters (exceptions, such as Dreamwalker, exist), I would only assign the disc priest to heal the tank if the other healer happens to be a holy priest.

Of course, if the tank healing job isn't challenging in a given encounter in 10 man, any healer can do it, and personally, I prefer healing without a specific assignment in that case.

BQL

Disc still came out on top for BQL, but slightly below on Sindragosa. But Sindragosa is a special case, has long periods of time where you can't actually cast (HM), with the raid dipping quite low in HP, cutting HoT overheal down 30-40%. Plus the fact of the timing of sequential Unstable Magics, and the timing of Ice tombs (tomb in phase 3 = 10-15sec down time... when the raid is in the most need of healing). But, I'd probably never go Holy for BQL, but I do switch to that for Sindragosa when we have 2 paladin's in the raid.

You're linking to a kill where you have too much healers, considering the overheal you have.

It was being said here that this is typically the case where Disc shines on meters, because they are better to snip heals.

But shining on meters doesn't mean shining in death prevention. You're setting here at 10k max hps and 70% efficiency, where all other raid healers are at 15k and 40% efficiency. If you go with one healer less, your own effective throughput will not increase a lot, but holy priests (and shamans and druids) will be able to go up to double throughput. I can have less than 25% overheal on BQL, and holy priest have been seen over 10k effective Hps (which is more than your total hps, counting overheal).

In other words, consider the following events. A player a full health is hit by an aura ticking at 3k each 3s. He gets a shield of 12k, and a hot ticking also at 3k every 3s (for 12s). The game system will consider that the shield is fully effective and the hot fully overheal. However, from death point perspective, both would have negated the damage on their own. I agree that preventing damage is better from a death prevention point of view (due to the risk of death damage : you can't heal dead people), but the difference between 12k shield and 12k hot is not that big !

Part of the hot overheal comes from shields being applied on hotted targets.

[regarding Festergut] :

The main question is where your trouble is. If you loose people due to Pungent Blight, by all means, go with pre-shielding (and use correctly raid bubble wall / personnal cd / stance switches / etc.) . That's the most effective way to deal with it. However, if you struggle to keep your tank alive with 3 inhale stacks, then the extra health-buffer and fast heals that disc can provide can be also a huge difference. Once you have 2 paladins, you're not lacking sheer throughput to keep your tank. You're lacking effective health, and disc'tools is a lot better than holy slow great heal or little flash heal to face that problem.

I acknowledge however that healing the tank will hurt your meters, compared to pre-shielding the raid.

Right now, in most encounters (exceptions, such as Dreamwalker, exist), I would only assign the disc priest to heal the tank if the other healer happens to be a holy priest.

Of course, if the tank healing job isn't challenging in a given encounter in 10 man, any healer can do it, and personally, I prefer healing without a specific assignment in that case.

My main point was to say that DPriest is not a main tank healer at the 3.3.3, but rather a raid-wide damage-preventer

However since our goal here is to build a comprehensive guide about the healing Priest, I tried to give some guidelines about one possible assignment of the DPriest.

@Ramonkhan: since I don't take Divine Fury in my Disc build, and since FH receives several bonuses from the Disc talent tree, I still prefer to use FH especially when the target goes below 50% hp, to make my MT healing smoother. I think both solutions are viable, depending on the situation and the talent build. This subject has been discussed somewhere in the forum and if I remember correctly, their was no difference from a TC point of view (needs to be confirmed). The important point is the crits you get below 50%hp because of Test of Faith: massive heals, great DA proccs, and quick heal that is needed.

That actually only applies to NORMAL version of Dreamwalker. The bosses health deteriorates at a constant rate in Hard Mode, making even the strongest Disc Asborbtions to be 100% effective. The only problem with this, falls in the category of proper tracking and credit being given to the priest, and the fact that PW:S probably doesn't scale with the buff thats given from the portal phase. Granted having a Disc Priest for this encounter is actually very nice, as the downstairs tank healing role fits exactly into what the disc priest style consists of (preventing tanks from getting insta-gibbed from the blistering adds debuff, plus an abom's worms popping up, with all 12 hitting the tank simultaneously.... gibbing a bear druid with 60-70k+ in 0.5 seconds :P).

Your also leaving out the key Power Infusion on the Holy Pally/Resto Sham, that when used just before channeling Divine Hymn, can give them a 50-60% bonus to effective healing for 10-15 seconds.

You're linking to a kill where you have too much healers, considering the overheal you have.

I think you're comparing that report, to normal mode comparisons. I clicked the links of 5 of the 8-9fastest BQL HM 25 kills, and 3 used 6 healers, the other 2 used 5, and in both of the ones that used 5, had double Holy Pally (you either bring a paladin, or bring 2 other healers to heal both tanks, as a general rule).

So its right about equivelant to other kills.

Without even counting PW:S, a DPriest with Raidbuffed ~40% Crit would gain some ~15% HPS through Divine Aegis

30% bonus, to a 40% proc effect = 12%

And thats in the most ideal scenarios. As the DA proc is still only a 12 second buff. Some fights, this would be guaranteed to be used effectively (BQL/Sind/Putricide), but most other fights, DA would have 40-60% chance of expiring before being used (Deathwisper 20second frostbolt volley, Marrowgar bonestorm CD, Rotface the entire random ish encounter, Sindragosa Air phase, ect.

But ehh, again, I don't like including RNG based abilities into discussions, 30 sec long PW:S is typically longer than the majority of the major bosses ICD on ability usage, but 12 seconds isn't.

Your crit heals are 40% of your casts, but since they heal for 150%, they account for 0.4*1.5 / (0.4*1.5 + 0.6) = 50% of your total healing amount. 30% addition on it is then a correct 15% addition.

That actually only applies to NORMAL version of Dreamwalker.

Granted having a Disc Priest for this encounter is actually very nice, as the downstairs tank healing role fits exactly into what the disc priest style consists of

Your also leaving out the key Power Infusion on the Holy Pally/Resto Sham, that when used just before channeling Divine Hymn, can give them a 50-60% bonus to effective healing for 10-15 seconds.

My post was an answer to 10 man healing assignments. Heroic or not, I see little point in assigning the disc priest to take portals. In normal mode, it would be ridiculous, anyway. In 10 man, I don't know which healing class or spec would be more ideal in healing the raid (and tanks) while the dreamwalker healers are in the dream (probably 2 in 10 man hc). Shields are perfect to make handling the adds safer, as is having fade available.

As for PI, of course that should be used, timed so as not to interfere with heroism/bloodlust. The same, however applies to a holy priest's glyphed GS (unless that has been nerfed to no longer work at all as opposed to just one priest in the raid). In any case, both PI and GS should be used whether the players are assigned to portals or not.

However since our goal here is to build a comprehensive guide about the healing Priest, I tried to give some guidelines about one possible assignment of the DPriest.

I have nothing against discussing potential roles for a discipline priest, and certainly the guide needs to say "if you are assigned to heal a tank, this is what you do:". That said, we (and as for doing the bulk of the writing now, I) need to concentrate a bit on the more relevant healing roles, as there's lots of work still to do and we don't want to finish when patch 3.9 hits, making everything obsolete. So, for now, describing a raid healing hole as well as a short treatment of tank healer support role should be enough. If we were to describe full main tank healing, then we would also have to discuss special gearing regarding this, so I'd rather leave this out - for now. Let's save that work for 3.9 where disc is supposed to be a real tank healer again. I hope this is okay for everybody.

Shields are perfect to make handling the adds safer, as is having fade available.

As for PI, of course that should be used, timed so as not to interfere with heroism/bloodlust. The same, however applies to a holy priest's glyphed GS (unless that has been nerfed to no longer work at all as opposed to just one priest in the raid). In any case, both PI and GS should be used whether the players are assigned to portals or not.

Both the shields are highly useful for downstairs healing (like solo healing downstairs Heroic 10m, where as when we used a paladin, one of the tanks would always die prematurely, usually to the worm spawn all hitting 1 tank at same time... instagibbing them).

As for the Guardian spirit, having more than 1 of these in a raid is completely useless. Guardian can only be used on the boss like once every 40-50 seconds, making chaining 2 Guardians impossible. The glyph on the single priest, is enough to pretty much use it on almost every downstairs phase, while a PI, on a Pally/sham, with a guardian spirit up = big green numbers (usable every other downstairs phase, throughout the fight, and is chainable for even more of those 'big green numbers', 2 Disc priest's were used to chain PI's on several of the top HPS parses for Dreamwalker).

As for the general focus of this guide, I'm more or less just pointing out, that both spec's of the Priest, are viable raid healers. More to the point, both spec's are actually much better at raid healing, than they are tank healing.

Here's one of my favorite log parses now, Resto Druid + Disc Priest healing comp for LK10HM! (Resto druid tank healing)

And thats in the most ideal scenarios. As the DA proc is still only a 12 second buff. Some fights, this would be guaranteed to be used effectively (BQL/Sind/Putricide), but most other fights, DA would have 40-60% chance of expiring before being used (Deathwisper 20second frostbolt volley, Marrowgar bonestorm CD, Rotface the entire random ish encounter, Sindragosa Air phase, ect.

It's 15% as stated above and the point was that you said in the single target HPS comparison, absorbs would only account to 10-20% additional healing, a number that's to low in my opinion. And if the disc is assigned to shielding the raid while occasionally supporting the tank healing with Penance / PoM and stuff, the DA should normally be consumed, especially because it can be refreshed.

I still believe that Holy is better for solo healing downstairs Dreamwalker 10H as you can support the Guardian Spirit. The tank is not really in danger as long as he doesn't have to many worms and the disease at the same time. Still, if you prefer, you can also heal it as Disc.

@Grouikette: You might also count the 2-T10 Bonus which would give even more benefits to Flashheal. On the other side, a GH noncrit would heal as much as a FH crit (but no DA). I just think both solutions should be mentioned, the most important point overall being that PoM and Penance don't consume BT which can be used either for FH or GH or any other spell.

So judging by what I seen, how viable are renew priests in ICC25/10ICCHM and so forth?

I used to renew all the time but then I swapped back to spamming PoH and throwing PoM and CoH whenever they were up in heavy raid dmg fights, BQL, etc.

Could I just focus on renewing two groups and CoHing clusters of people while throwing PoM and the occasional flash heal to keep serendipity up?

So judging by what I seen, how viable are renew priests in ICC25/10ICCHM and so forth?

HoT's are viable for Holy, to an extent.

I don't care for renew, for a simple reason, its a HoT. Glyph of Rejuv was the worse possible glyph they could have ever invented, it illustrated the hole in resto druid healingl. That glyph, when used, was healing for 2-4% of their total effective healing, which proc'd when they healed someone under 50% hp, and healing for +50%. So, of all the meter padding the druids were doing, they actually were only healing the people that NEEDED to be healed, 4-8% of the time (since glyph was 1/2 the amount they were healing during this time).

Personally I see that as unacceptable (for a priest at least), as thats usually what leads to premature death's. Sure a Flash Heal talent spec, may look slightly lower on the pure meter side, but you'll be spending a lot more time actually healing people that are in danger of dying, instead of sniping that 1k health deficit on 3 other players at 98% HP.

But thats my opinion for Holy at least (Disc though = Bubble Bot w/ Penance spot raid healing as needed)

I was doing the math of a disc priest's mana regeneration for a friend of mine last night and came across an interesting conclusion that I would like to confirm. No, I am not a priest but I am asking for confirmation of my calculations about priests.

Given the Mana Regeneration Formula shown for 3.1, the value of spirit for a disc priest as a regeneration stat seems diminished due to lack of regeneration OO5SR.

5 x 0.00575 x 0.6 x SQRT(Intellect) x Spirit = OO5SR Mana Regeneration

To get I5SR Regen with Meditation, Multiply OO5SR Mana Regeneration by 0.5.

Assume with MOTW, Arcane Int, and Kings a Disc priest has 2000 Intellect. Solving for the end value of spirit as OO5SR Regen (X), I used the following equation:

5 x 0.00575 x 0.6 x 44.721 = 1.06X

X= 0.8177 (Rounded to the fourth decimal place)

This results in an I5SR Mana Regeneration Value for spirit of 0.4088. Kings increases this value by a factor of 1.1, raising it to 0.4497.

This means that it requires 2.2237 Spirit to amount to 1mp5.

That said, assuming access to all BIS gear, would it be better to use Sp/Mp5 or Haste/Mp5 gems for blue sockets that are being matched to achieve socket bonuses as opposed to SP/Spirit?