Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easar

Headset/Microphone/Headphones - What's good?

53 posts in this topic

I've had a pair of Sennheisers for a long time that I use as my primary audio listening headphones, but for my gaming headset I took a chance and went with the Steelsound 5h V2 after reading numerous glowing reviews http://www.steelseries.com/products/steel_sound/steelsound_5h_v2/information and honestly I couldn't be happier with them. Super comfortable after many hours at a time, the mic that retracts into the earcup is ultra convienent and the quality on the mic is superb. The price is right too, you can usually find a great deal on them at Buy.com using the cashback with google checkout method.

I bought http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ae_headphones_index a few weeks ago after I started getting dull headaches at work (I have a dozen servers running behind me) and the sound quality of them is outstanding. They aren't powered but just having them on kills a good deal of noise, and my headaches have gone away.

I'm not on Vent very much these days (I tend to end up saying things that I shouldn't say) but I have http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=9523 that are reasonably comfortable to wear for long periods of time and have good input quality.

I try to stay away from headsets. Something about combining systems that really shouldn't be usually ends up in compromised quality. Same reason why I stay away from computer speakers. Not that I use them anymore. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD595's, they are great. Added bonus of Sennheisers is that they open-air headphones, so when speaking on Vent, you can annoy your guildmates with your quirky music tastes. I think I wasted 20 minutes of a raid explaining why I had the saxophone rendition of the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Kalman is right though, any high-end headphone will give you wicked headphone hair.

BTW, I hookup my headphones directly to my Audigy ZS 2. Can anyone recommend a good headphone amp, or is it not needed?

I've been using the Razer Barracuda headset. 8 drivers with amplifiers for each of them, excellent sound quality. Extremely comfortable, but probably a little more pricey than you are looking for they retail for around $140usd. Also, as Kalman stated the headphone hair is ubelievable...

http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Audio/Razer-Barracuda-HP1-Gaming-Headphones/

I used to use the Zalman 5.1 headphones, until wear and tear (i.e. tugging on the headphone, rolling over the cord) tore one of the wires inside, causing me to lose my center channel. At that point I said "screw it" and went back to my speakers full time, but they were pretty good at simulating 5.1 sound (not as good as speakers, mind you).

Now I just use a Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 (wtf kind of name is that?) that my dad stopped using. Headsets with USB connectors are pretty nice, as aforementioned, especially when you want to pipe the voice chat to your headset instead of through your speakers. This is especially useful if you have foul-mouthed guildies and people walking around in earshot of your computer. ;o

Used sennheisser for a few years and theyre just weak when it comes to wiring durability. First headset the left ear just started to die out, second headset the jack end that plugs into the pc went and required a wriggle every now and then to get sound back. I use icemat siberia's now and have no complaints, mic disconnects as well so i can use it elsewhere. Sound quality pretty good and cords are thick and durable.

I have to second this. The Sennheiser's are comfortable, they sound good, and are good from an audio perspective (NB: The USB model is your best bet, imo.) Unfortunately, they're not very durable. The wiring flakes out easy, and they don't take the sort of abuse that often happen in gaming. (Let's put it this way, don't slam them down angrily after the 15th stupid wipe in an evening of progression raiding...)

I've not tried the icemats. I'm currently using a pair of logitechs (don't remember the model number). These are less good audio wise, but seem far more durable.

I'd really rather replace this setup with a decent monitor mounted microphone and a pair of high end audio headphones (a pair of Grados, which I already own), but I have yet to find a good microphone. (at least, one that's suited for the computer that doesn't require a pre-amp and so forth...)

I have been using a Logitech precision gaming headset (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Precision-Gaming-Headset-980231-0403/dp/B0002XIX0E) for about 1yr now. The headset is designed to have the band around your back of the neck. I am pleased with the reliability of the sound levels for vent (nobody has to complain about my levels varying) and it has survived the usual rolling over the cord with the desk chair. The only problem I have had with it is spacing of the headphones. Apparently it was designed for someone with a bigger head than me, and a smaller head than my friend and there is no adjustment. So it slips off my ears unless I pull my ears through the gap in the earpieces, and my big headed friend complains that it is hot and painful after 2hrs. So the electronics is great, the durability is great, but fit leaves something to be desired.

Kalman (or others) would you be able to recomend a coherent method for modular USB sound that Doesn't Suck™?

I'm spoiled by having spent a very long time with access to studio equipment as a hobby/volunteer work (Yay for theatre) but have not bothered to upgrade my home setups because of the turnover rate on my gaming hardware (I'm playing on a laptop atm, and likely to update it again in the near future).

Ideally, I'd like to find a good way to get sound out of the laptop with the usual failure suspects being modular (Minimum full wiring, idealy some of the other garbage) so I can replace the fail points instead of the entire system.

This would ideally start with a usb cord to a external audio device that either produced true channeled sound, or if there's a mixer that can support usb point it my way.

I happen to have a pair of nice headphones, and even have a nice mic packed away. The only trouble is that they're expecting something a little more theatre like and a lot less computer like as their connection style, and I haven't found a Good Way to get the sound into a mixer. (I could go buy a tower I suppose, but that defeats the purpose. I'd like to keep my audiophile upgrade schedule seperate from my gamer pc update schedule if I can).

As for headsets, the best advice I can offer as a laptop user so far is to accept that if you cannot change the wires, you are going to buy new ever x months where x is determined by your personal workspace/habits. I'm working with an altec lansing pair that is nothing special, but had the benefit of having a seperate USB device for the usb audio card, with normal jacks for the headset/mic. It's made the "these cables died, time to replace" part a bit easier, and probably saved me a few dollars in replacement each cycle.

I have been using a Logitech precision gaming headset (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Precision-Gaming-Headset-980231-0403/dp/B0002XIX0E) for about 1yr now.

I can positively state that this is the most awful, uncomfortable, poorly designed pair of headphones I have ever used.

When you're going to be gaming for an extended period of time, you want the kit to be resting on your head, not your ears. This headset is rediculously uncomfortable after only a few minutes.

Well whether it's comfortable or not mostly depends on the wearer himself. I went to some kind of Best Buy today equivalent to try out regular stereo headphones and after wearing the available Sennheisers in my price range for about 5 seconds each I knew that these just weren't made for my head.

I did some research on 5.1 headphones and foudn out that whats actually much better is some good 50+$ headphones coupled with a Creative soundcard, preferably an X-Fi and turning on "CMSS 3D". You actually get a very real surround sound feeling in headphone mode with this. in the forums I read everyone agreed that this far superior to any 5.1 headphones. Try this, even if you use speakers usually, I was quite amazed by the effects.

Like when I guys with pictures in their sig of their headphones collection of 20+ headphones worth several thousand bucks post about how great the CMSS 3d of the Creative Xi-Fi is paired with some decent headphones for playing Counterstrike, then you know there's gotta be some truth to it ;) (I hope this sentence makes sense...)

I ordered Philips SGH 8900 from amazon, these were the ones that I felt most comfortable at the store with and the sound quality is also good, though not as good as Sennheisers that I coulr have gotten (HD 485, supposed to be great for gmaing, but my head is too big or them). I'm not enough of an audiophile to notice a difference in sound quality anyways...

Edit: expanded the psot a bit

I can positively state that this is the most awful, uncomfortable, poorly designed pair of headphones I have ever used.

When you're going to be gaming for an extended period of time, you want the kit to be resting on your head, not your ears. This headset is rediculously uncomfortable after only a few minutes.

I use the headset that was included with the UT2k4 Special Edition. They are "ear-resters" as well and I have to say that comfort is a matter of getting used to them. I had a lot of pain in the upper parts of my ears when first using them, but after a few days my ears got used to the pressure and feel no pain at all.

The biggest problem I have with them is that sound on one side disappears very often. Only juggling the volume very carefully seems to help.

Which toothpaste would most improve my World of Warcraft experience? Please name what brand you use and why.

Which toothpaste would most improve my World of Warcraft experience? Please name what brand you use and why.

Dumb post. This is a valid topic for a gaming forum. Please refrain from retardo trolling.

Just to clairfy...I pull my ears through the slot on my Logitech headphones because they fall off otherwise. They were not designed to be worn in this manner, and this is just my seat of the pants solution to the fitting issue. I got used to it pretty fast and now game for long sessions with no pain or discomfort. I suppose it really comes down to what your pain threshold is, and how long you are willing to put up with something to grow used to it. My big headed friend who complains about the Logitech headset also describes earmuffs as 'excrutiatingly painful'. I laugh as I picture big fluffy pink earmuffs.

I have used Icemat Siberia since day 1 (and before,) of my WoW life, and I honestly cannot complain about the quality of the sound via the Microphone or Headset itself.

http://www.icemat.com/products/icematsiberia/icemat_siberia_headset

The only issue I have with them is that the build quality is really poor, and out of 4 friends who owned a pair, I am the only one with a pair that still works and resembles the original design.

I do plan to move over to Sennheiser once this pair break though, although I am not entirely sure as to what set of headphones I should get :P

Since I tend to break my headsets pretty quickly (I don't know how, but somehow after 3 month or so my mic won't work anymore, probably issues with the cables inside the phones), i don't have a headset in use at the moment, using headphones and a normal mic. However I have repeatedly heard praises about the Medusa 5.1 Headset from Speedlink. Since I had once a downgraded version I can at least attest that the carrying comfort was pretty good.

Since I tend to break my headsets pretty quickly (I don't know how, but somehow after 3 month or so my mic won't work anymore, probably issues with the cables inside the phones), i don't have a headset in use at the moment, using headphones and a normal mic. However I have repeatedly heard praises about the Medusa 5.1 Headset from Speedlink. Since I had once a downgraded version I can at least attest that the carrying comfort was pretty good.

I've gone the full range, from a super nice 80$ headset to the 10$ bargain bin special... I can't seem to make any of them last longer than 3 months. Mic breaks, headband breaks, one ear piece goes out, etc. I've resorted to just buying whatever is affordable at the best buy down the street and doesn't look like it'll fall off my head.

Being a female gamer has some distinct disadvantages.... headsets that fit my 6'0 tall big-headed husband rattle around on my more petite head size so we can't even buy generic spares. Inevitably the more expensive the headset- the more likely it is to be sized too big even on the smallest setting =(

I'm really rough on mine. Roll over the cord, constantly adjusting my mic around, slamming them on the teacup hook next to my desk (broke one handband that way), getting them caught on something and just yanking... I'm headphone makers worst nightmare.

So ya. Current headset is a Altec Lansing- over the top headband- with generic USB converter (since I have surround sound speakers). Husband's Altec Lansing- behind the ears headband- broke so he stole mine to raid lead and the sound on mine is much more tinny than I'd thought. His was quite nice though- mellow and fairly true sounding, before the mic gave out.

If at all possible you should try to compare the 5.1 headset to some good stereo headphones connected to a Creative X-Fi with CMSS 3D enabled. I did a bit of research and everyone who has heard both says that the virtual surround of CMSS 3D is actually much better. Sure, you see good reviews of 5.1 headsets, but the reviewers did not compare them to stereo/headphones with an X-Fi. I found no one saying that 5.1 headphones are superior.

I've used these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106932 as someone linked above since WoW was released; I love 'em. I had to replace them once after the left speaker slowly died, but hell, they're $14!

Mic is perfect for me. It's ironic that after a guy went out and bought a $100 pair of headphones everyone said he had the worst mic they'd ever heard.

I have either those same ones in a different color, or a very similar pair. Any headset will give me pain over extended time periods, but I have a ring in my cartilage and this headset doesn't put pressure on it. I don't even recall the last time I had discomfort from wearing them for a long time. I also picked them up on sale for cheaper than cheap :)

I use(d) a pair of sony DSG-850? or something like that. It has a boom mic which sounds perfectly clear, excellent sound quality and has a huge cable to boot. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problem all sony headphones I've had do, in which the lacquer over the wires in the cable rub together (and hence off) causing sound shorts after a time. If I can't get it soldered in ok I'll probably go buy those sennheisers.

I have used Icemat Siberia since day 1 (and before,) of my WoW life, and I honestly cannot complain about the quality of the sound via the Microphone or Headset itself.

http://www.icemat.com/products/icematsiberia/icemat_siberia_headset

The only issue I have with them is that the build quality is really poor, and out of 4 friends who owned a pair, I am the only one with a pair that still works and resembles the original design.

I do plan to move over to Sennheiser once this pair break though, although I am not entirely sure as to what set of headphones I should get :P

I can attest to these too, they're comfortable and sound real nice.

Currently using a generic Sennheiser 79$ pair, I seem to have a problem breaking them rather easily. :V:

I've used these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106932 as someone linked above since WoW was released; I love 'em. I had to replace them once after the left speaker slowly died, but hell, they're $14!

Mic is perfect for me. It's ironic that after a guy went out and bought a $100 pair of headphones everyone said he had the worst mic they'd ever heard.

the mic on this makes your voice really high pitched and whiney, it doesnt have the range

The Sennheiser PC150 is godly for example...

Fits perfectly, great sound and quality.

Sennheiser <3