Infraction: 4. Whining in any form is forbidden.
Message to User:
You have taken points that have already been brought up and discussed, and couched them in language that essentially amounts to "I'm quitting my rogue if they don't fix combat." Next time, keep your whines out of the discussion.
First of all Mutilate may be ahead of combat at the moment but it is still behind most of the other classes.
Personally though, and you may of course have a completely different opinion, I consider mutilate a bad spec. Mutilate rogues are one of the most fragile melee class with no cleave mechanic and a non great gap closer on a 1 minute CD. All the exploitable tools they have to outperform other classes are Vanish and CoS, which are by no means enough to stay on par with the competition. Even if all the classes are completely balanced single target, Mutilate will be competitive in Saurfang-type fights and underperforming everywhere else. I find it really hard to think of a fight where a mutilate rogue will have an advantage over a fury warrior or a fire mage (there were none in ICC) and very easy to think of a fight where the opposite happens (most of the ICC fights). So sorry but no, I will not play Mutilate.
Combat on the other hand has a very strong card to play, which is Blade Flurry on a 30sec CD, and AR and KS are quite strong and versatile cooldowns. It is very easy to think of fights where combat rogues would shine because of these abilities. In ICC for example we have Morrowgar (free spike damage), Lady Death (cleaving every add wave), Putricide (BF+AR during add spawn), Lich King (Valkyrs) and so on. BF+AR+tricks+haste pot with FoK spam on the critical second Valkyr spawn used to give you a completely insane amount of dps on them that I don't think any other class could match.
But in order for it to work there are some important issues that need to get fixed:
- Overall single target dps. Pretty obvious.
- Burst damage/cooldowns. It was correctly emphasised above as it is a very strong card to play. Cooldown stacking, pushing your dps when it is needed the most and having a bigger cooldown uptime than normal on fights that get interrupted are all very important tools.
- Energy capping. Bloodlust+AR+haste pot should be an opportunity to exploit your burst damage. Unfortunately it is impossible to use the energy you are generating.
- Dps loss when target switching. 4.0.1 Combat suffers there too. Probably slower poison application due to the loss of our poison talents plays a big part in this.
- FoK. FoK damage seems to have gone down and afaik it does not proc BF any more. Another strong weapon taken away from our arsenal right there.
All in all, although I think combat rogues have the best mechanics in game in terms of abilities/resources/rotation/general pve gameplay, if the above issues are not solved I would rather go back to my happy-hour yawn-during-raid-fights fire mage that now has an even more provoking number of exploitable abilities than play a class that just can't keep up in the majority of the boss fights.