This is where the entire community here chimes in to tell me the multitude of ways in which I am a noob and have missed one of a million possible things that could result in me being crit. Done? Ok. Here's the details -- I think I've been thorough.
- The mob was level 71, a Malicious Instructor in the 2nd room of SL. Against level 71 mobs, I have a base chance of 5.2% to be crit. We currently assume this is based on the default mob weapon skill of (5 * moblevel) = 5 * 71 = 355, which adds .2% to the base 5% for all mobs.
- I have 132 Defense Rating, which means precisely (132 / 2.4) = +55 Defense, meaning I have a total of 405 Defense. That's (55 * -.04%) = -2.2% chance to be crit.
- I also have 3/3 Survival of the Fittest, meaning a -3% chance to be crit in melee.
- I *also* have 23 Resilience Rating, which means (23 / 39.4) = -.5838% chance to be crit.
- The hit in question was a normal melee hit, not a special ability or anything else crazy.
- I didn't have any unusual debuffs or anything that might reduce my defense skill somehow. The debuff in the combat log is Mark of Malice. I don't think I had it on me when I was crit, but even so, the spell applies no aura (despite the funky tooltip) to reduce defense skill or do anything else strange -- just the damage trigger.
- Personally adding up my Defense Rating gives 132 as well: Neck 13, Shoulders 10, 28 Chest, 24 Weapon, 24 Boots, 17 Ring, 16 Ring. I just logged out in that set of gear so the Armory should have it for your inspection. I also have 16 Resi from shoulders, 3 from the shoulder socket bonus, and 4 from the leg socket bonus, for the listed 23.
- Screenshot verifying this occurence is below. I took the whole thing because people on EJ have been damn picky lately, so you get to enjoy my widescreen. Combat log on the lower left, character sheet on the top left. I c/p'd a clip from another shot of the Resilience tooltip so that both tooltips appear at once, that's the only editing that's been done.
- Random note I just noticed now -- the instructor crit me for approximately 4x what I was taking in damage from a normal melee swing. Strange.
Now, lest you chalk it up to the rumored 1 roll on the melee table reserved for even impossibilities, or to an act of the gods, or a computer error, something caused by the mobs (possibly) higher weapon skill, or as some other manner of fluke...
Later during the run it happened again.
This time it was a different mob, a Cabal Fanatic in Vorpil's room. He was also level 71, and all my gear was the same as before.
What in Zeus' beard is going on here? Someone tell me, because I've got nothin'.