2T7 = the two piece tier 7 set bonus, which increases the strength of Water Shield by 10%
IS = Improved Shields
IWS = Improved Water Shield
GoWM = Glyph of Water Mastery
1.) I started with a standard 0/14/54 + 3 spec with 0/3 IS. I removed all T7 gear and water-shield related glyphs, and went to Crystalsong Forest.
2.) I went to Crystalsong Forest and activated WS.
3.) I attacked a mob and recorded the mana return from each WS orb.
4.) I refreshed WS until I had 50 orbs had triggered, then killed the mob.
5.) Once out of combat, I cast LHW until I recorded 50 crits (refreshing WS as necessary) and recorded the mana return from 50 IWS procs.
6.) I then equipped 2T7 and repeated steps 2-5.
7.) I returned to the Lexicon of Power in Dalaran, added GoWM, removed 2T7, went back to Crystalsong Forest, and repeated steps 2-6.
8.) One I had tested the returns for all permutations of 2T7 and GoWM with 0 points in IS, I added 1 point in improved shields, removed GoWM, and repeated testing as above. I did the same for 2/3 and 3/3 improved shields.
1.) As anticipated, GoWM had no effect on mana granted from Water Shield Orbs. As such, data points for tests without GoWM are omitted.
2.) Data listed below for mana returns are averages rounded to the nearest integer. In no case was the variation between procs greater than +/- 1 mana.
3.) In "Test Condition" below, the percentage in parentheses represents the expected gain in mana granted by water shield orbs according to the combination of IS points and the presence or absence of 2T7.
[B][U]Test Condition[/U][/B] [B][U]WS Mana[/U][/B] [B][U]IWS Mana[/U][/B] [B][U]Difference[/U][/B] 0/3 IS (+0%) 477 427 50 1/3 IS (+5%) 501 449 52 2/3 IS (+10%) 524 470 54 0/3 IS, 2T7 (+10%) 524 470 54 3/3 IS (+15%) 549 492 57 1/3 IS, 2T7 (+15%) 549 492 57 2/3 IS, 2T7 (+20%) 573 514 59 3/3 IS, 2T7 (+25%) 597 535 62
From the data above, we see the following trends:
* The difference in mana granted between a baseline (0/3 IS, no 2T7) WS proc and a baseline IWS proc is 50 mana, or 50% of the passive mp5 granted by a baseline WS.
* Both IS and 2T7 increase the amount of mana granted by both WS and IWS.
* Although the absolute difference between the two increases, the percentage difference remains the same, and is in line with what we predicted should happen given the wording of the IS talent and the 2T7 bonus.
* For a max rank Water Shield, standard WS procs grant B*(O+P) mana, where B is the total percent bonus to each orb granted by talents and bonuses that improve the per-orb mana return of WS (namely IS and 2T7), O is the tooltip mana per orb for a naked, 0/0/0 spec shaman, and P is 50% of the base passive mp5 of an unglyphed water shield.
* IWS procs, in comparison, only gain mana equal to (B*O); they do not gain any bonus, scaling or otherwise, from the passive mp5 of water shield (P).
* In other words, WS procs gain a baseline modifier to mana return (that happens to scale with IS and 2T7), but IWS procs do not. It is unclear why this discrepancy exists.
The above conclusions are counter intuitive for two reasons:
1.) A logical reader of the tooltip would come to the conclusion that IWS and WS procs should return the same amount of mana. This is clearly not the case as of patch 3.0.3.
2.) The bonus modifier P, which is calculated from the passive mp5 of water shield, is unaffected by abilities that increase only the passive mp5 (GoWS), but *is* affected by abilities that increase only the WS orb procs (Improved Shields) and abilities that affect both (2T7).