Rupture and aggro generation.
Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:01 PM
Exe: Had a fight with Hakkar where I grabbed aggro less than 10 seconds after vanishing. It was a mostly alt run, the tanks were alts, and one of them was very new to playing a tank. So, I just assume they I overtook their threat from the previous MC in those 10 seconds. That would seem practically impossible to me, as I had only done a SS/1pt SnD/berzerk/SS/SS in that time. But, I had done a 5pt rupture prior to vanishing, waited for full energy and then started attacking again. If the rupture damage was being attributed to me during the entire time, it'd make a little more sense.
It seems such a minor thing, but I've been using rupture more and more since reading a thread here awhile ago, and have noticed I can overtake many better geared rogues on fights that I can manage to use it. I'd like to know for sure the mechanics of the aggro that it generates for future reference, and was curious if anyone had done testing or had additional info regarding rupture. It's just one of the aspects of the class I never looked into. But, would like to know if I should weight it the same as a 900 damage eviscerate or similar.
Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:10 PM
1. Two characters, grouped. (Rogue, one other.)
2. Find solo mobs wandering alone.
3. Have the rogue pull one by proximity aggro.
4. Have your groupmate stand close enough that he will receive aggro if you vanished.
5. Have the rogue build one combo point and use rupture.
6. Vanish. The mob should turn on your friend.
7. Have you friend stand there doing nothing.
8. If the mob turns back on you after rupture ticks, then yes, it builds threat for you.
Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:33 PM
Same thing for deadly poison or other DoTs, and for hunters with feign death. Just would be interesting to know how the game handles aggro when your in an 'null' state such as being feigned or vanished. Like, does it save all the damage done while vanished and then all of it is put on you when you come out of vanish, or not.
Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:02 PM
1. I'm fairly certain ticks of Rupture after vanishing would generate threat still. Don't have any hard evidence, but it would logically be this way.
2. Chances are if you pulled aggro 10s after Vanishing, your Vanish failed or did not register properly and you did not drop out of combat (and thus did not actually wipe your threat).
Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:14 AM
Though the rules may be different in this case, I don't find it unreasonable to assume no agro is generated while out of combat.
Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:37 AM
Early morning hour and all I forgot to test if aggro would have started to be generated should I have re-entered combat (perhaps by a feint) while DoT was still running. I'll do that another time when I happen to remember it, but meanwhile other more enthustiastic empiric researchers should report their findings too.
Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:55 AM
Naked level 60 Rogue with highest level Rupture and level 1 Dirk
Warrior builds up about 260 threat.
Rogue sinister strikes once, and hits rupture (keeping in mind the Rogue's -20% base threat generation). This will be about 100 damage for the sinister strike, and 255 damage for the rupture.
Does the mob turn on the rogue at the moment of rupture, assuming the warrior is doing nothing else, or after several ticks of the rupture have resolved?
Jesus don't want me in a sunbeam
Sunbeams are always made on me
Don't expect me to cry, for all the reasons I'm gonna die
Don't ever ask your kick of me.
Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:12 PM
As to the OP who pulled aggro after 10 seconds, it seems that Vanish failed to remove you from combat (possibly an unlucky combat pulse).
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users