RealID soon to apply to all forum posts, other upcoming official forum improvements

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
351 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Edit: Since people are not seeing my post further in the thread:
http://elitistjerks....p3/#post1692786
Please keep in mind that Kaubel's post is grounds for an infraction if you make a glorified (or simplified) "I quit" post. It is fine if you lay out several points regarding RealID that concern you and then sum up your post with "and therefore I quit", but you quitting SHOULD NOT BE the main focus of your post.
Read both posts prior to reporting or posting here.
/Carebare

=================================================================================

Seems to be going a bit far with the release of personal info IMO, but here is the info on it: Battle.net - English Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to Forums

Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to the Forums

Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature - Battle.net Real ID , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

The official forums have always been a great place to discuss the latest info on our games, offer ideas and suggestions, and share experiences with other players -- however, the forums have also earned a reputation as a place where flame wars, trolling, and other unpleasantness run wild. Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven’t been connected before. With this change, you’ll see blue posters (i.e. Blizzard employees) posting by their real first and last names on our forums as well.

We also plan to add a number of other features designed to make reading the forums more enjoyable and to empower players with tools to improve the quality of forum discussions. Players will have the ability to rate up or rate down posts so that great topics and replies stand out from the not-so-great; low-rated posts will appear dimmer to show that the community feels that they don’t contribute effectively to the conversation, and Blizzard’s community team will be able to quickly and easily locate highly rated posts to participate in or to highlight discussions that players find worthwhile.

In addition, individual topics will be threaded by context, meaning replies to specific posts will be grouped together, making it easier for players to keep track of multiple conversations within a thread. We’re also adding a way for Blizzard posters to “broadcast” important messages forums-wide , to help communicate breaking news to the community in a clear and timely fashion. Beyond that, we’re improving our forum search function to make locating interesting topics easier and help lower the number of redundant threads, and we have more planned as well.

With the launch of the new Battle.net, it’s important to us to create a new and different kind of online gaming environment -- one that’s highly social, and which provides an ideal place for gamers to form long-lasting, meaningful relationships. All of our design decisions surrounding Real ID -- including these forum changes -- have been made with this goal in mind.

We’ve given a great deal of consideration to the design of Real ID as a company, as gamers, and as enthusiastic users of the various online-gaming, communication, and social-networking services that have become available in recent years. As these services have become more and more popular, gamers have become part of an increasingly connected and intimate global community – friendships are much more easily forged across long distances, and at conventions like PAX or our own BlizzCon, we’ve seen first-hand how gamers who may have never actually met in person have formed meaningful real-life relationships across borders and oceans. As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come.

For more info on Real ID, check out our Real ID page and FAQ located at Battle.net Real ID . We look forward to answering your questions about these upcoming forum changes in the thread below.

I'm a bit surprised they can get away with retroactively releasing identifying information about their customers like that.

edit: UPDATE - this won't be retroactive, it will only apply to a new forum system Blizzard will be setting up, and the posts subsequently made on it.

edit #2: VICTOLY! - Real names on forums will not be going through, other forum improvements will: World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Regarding real names in forums

#2 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Doesn't seem retroactive since for the time being it'll only affect SC2. However, if anything, in my opinion, this change will just further scare people away from the forums.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#3 Miloh

Miloh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

So I guess I'll have to go delete every single post I've made on the Blizzard forums.

But I'm sure they'll find another way to expose my personal information.

#4 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

I don't understand the thought process here. Surely there are better ways to make people take responsibility for the trash that they post aside from exposing personal information.

So I guess I'll have to go delete every single post I've made on the Blizzard forums.

A CM just posted this a moment ago:

One important point which I don't believe has been relayed yet is that the switch to showing RealID on the forums will only happen the new forum systems we're launching for StarCraft II shortly before its release, and a new forum system for World of Warcraft launching shortly before the release of Cataclysm.

All posts here on the current World of Warcraft forums, or any of our classic Battle.net forums, will remain as-is. They won't (and can't) automatically switch to showing a real first and last name.

All posts in the future on the new forum systems will be an opt-in choice and ample warning will be given that you're posting with your real first and last name.

What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#5 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Getting your account forum banned is a quick way to get all your posts deleted for you, if you really want to do that :/ But it looks like it won't be necessary since the change won't apply to the existing forums.

#6 Kaejin

Kaejin

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'm wondering if they just left out the important detail that your real name will only be displayed for people on your RealID friends list.

It seems like an incredibly bad PR move otherwise, especially since you're currently encouraged to not share personal information.
Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh.

#7 Gify

Gify

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Blizzard made a very bad move with this. They discourage the sharing of personal information but are no going to give out our full names.

When applying for a job and a potential employer googles your name, besides an extremely common one, I definitely don't want all of my posts on the forums to appear.

#8 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

I'm wondering if they just left out the important detail that your real name will only be displayed for people on your RealID friends list.

It seems like an incredibly bad PR move otherwise, especially since you're currently encouraged to not share personal information.

That would defeat their stated goal of removing anonymity though, so I doubt that's [currently] the plan.

#9 Horac

Horac

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

I agree it's an undesirable move but I think many are overreacting to it so far. Very few people have a name that is unique enough to allow someone to find out anything about you.

I think what many are angry about is that unlike Facebook or other social networking sites the participation here is mandatory instead of voluntary. If you play the game you are forced to realid and whatever changes blizzard makes to that system. Right now RealID in the games is used on a voluntary basis. This change prompts fears in everyone that it will become compulsory to use RealID in game at some point in the future which I think many of us do not want even before getting into privacy concerns.

#10 Tyrian

Tyrian

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I think many are overreacting to it so far.

Overreacting? Nobody in their right mind would've guessed that:

- Real ID would first appear in its current incarnation: With real full names, friend-of-friends features, lack of control over privacy and so forth
- Real ID would then get this 'feature update' and apply real names to all official forum posts.

It's not overreacting to then assume that, after those bizarre decisions: Real ID could soon apply to the armory, use of trade chat, and ultimately to your ingame character name. Sound outrageous? Maybe, but just a few hours ago many people would have also considered it equally outrageous that use of the official forums would require your real name too.

People are well within their rights to anticipate that things will continue to go from bad, to worse, to disastrous.

#11 Mysterymask

Mysterymask

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Discouraging to post on the forums is one thing however one must realize other reprocutions of this. Take for one the guild recruiter who relies on the World of Warcraft guild recruitment forums to advirtise, this turns from a simple guild recruitment officer job to a "Who's Brave Enough to put his/her real name out there for the entire world to see" issue. Yes some people are ungoogleable but I'd rather someone be mad at "Itsamystery" the Blood elf rogue over being mad at the real me.
Of course privacy on the internet is going the way of the dodo due mostly in fact of the world of Facebook where people WILLINGLY put their personal information on the internet but this is a forceful way to slap a part of yourself that you do not want shared to the world because you wanted to try to get a weekly ICC achivement run going or you wanted to advirtise your guild is recruiting. That just aint right.

#12 Rainman5419

Rainman5419

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

I'm not one the type of person to run for a tinfoil hat at every mention of personal data being spread, but there has got to be some granularity introduced into the Real ID system.

Just like recent Facebook issues, if Blizzard pushes this too far/too fast there will be backlash.

This is akin to teaching people to swim by pushing people into a pool. Real ID will be far more popular when you give people the option to wade in at their own comfort level.

#13 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

I agree it's an undesirable move but I think many are overreacting to it so far. Very few people have a name that is unique enough to allow someone to find out anything about you.

Your name doesn't need to be particularly unique though, since a lot of context can be attached to it that makes identification much simpler. This is because it's not just a one way link from gameID->realID, it goes both ways, and is a bridge for any ID linked to either of them to connect to the other end.

For instance, I post on reddit a lot. A lot of it is stuff which, while perfectly fine in the context of a reddit thread or even in dinner conversation at a party, is not stuff I want potential or even current employers associating with me - political views, religious views, stupid college pranks, etc.. However my same reddit account has me posting screenshots of my WoW character or linking to his armory/guild. With this change, some nutjob can look through my posts on reddit, find the ones with a wow link, and use that to find my wow character, then use blizzard's forums to find out the real name attached to that wow character. Then it's just a little bit of google and facebook to find out where I live, who I work for and what I look like - none of which is info I expected to be tied to my reddit post history. And this same scenario applies to every forum I've ever posted a WoW screenshot/armory link to in the past 6 years, since anything I've said on them about what part of the world I work in or what kind of job I do or where I grew up help relate various potentially different identities into one.

#14 Morthoul

Morthoul

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Overreacting? Nobody in their right mind would've guessed that:

- Real ID would first appear in its current incarnation: With real full names, friend-of-friends features, lack of control over privacy and so forth
- Real ID would then get this 'feature update' and apply real names to all official forum posts.

It's not overreacting to then assume that, after those bizarre decisions: Real ID could soon apply to the armory, use of trade chat, and ultimately to your ingame character name. Sound outrageous? Maybe, but just a few hours ago many people would have also considered it equally outrageous that use of the official forums would require your real name too.

People are well within their rights to anticipate that things will continue to go from bad, to worse, to disastrous.

It's unlikely they'll ever go that far, because of children playing. Still, anyone who posts to forums with their real name, and links it to a character, has just given their employer access to their Armory, and a log of what times they play. Even if nothing bad comes of it, it's highly unprofessional and I wouldn't take the risk.

#15 Belegûr

Belegûr

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

What I simply can't grasp is the reason for doing this, regardless of whether you think it's a good or bad idea. It can't be just to "tame" the jungle the official forums have become, despite what their announcement claims. If it were just that, blizzard could simply do some harsher (or, well, some actual) moderating. After all, EJ manages to keep a clean forum despite thousands and thousands of users posting on a daily basis, and they certainly don't have blizzard's means: they achieve this through very, very harsh moderating. Blizzard could obviously afford a few extra moderators to keep the forums cleaner.

So what on earth could be worth such trouble? In under 24hours since they posted the announcement, there have been 170+ pages of heated complaints - heated as in "the president has announced Christmas has been canceled", both from players and MVPs alike, and MVPs don't often outright bash a new initiative. This is one of the worst responses I've ever seen on the forums, and for good reason: people value their privacy much more than any in-game mechanic. I just don't understand Blizzard's motivations here.

#16 Antiphonal

Antiphonal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that this is inviting legal trouble. So many WoW players are under age and not responsible or mature. I can imagine a kid doing regular cocky kid stuff angering someone who tracks them down. Or worse, the realID system making WoW ideal for predatory... whatever.

I'm not talking about the bad PR. I think there is real danger in this policy.

#17 Nitz

Nitz

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

There was a good post about that in the 200+ pages long thread: every kid must have his or her parent(s) to agree on them disclosing their real names—legal nightmare indeed.

#18 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

What I simply can't grasp is the reason for doing this, regardless of whether you think it's a good or bad idea. It can't be just to "tame" the jungle the official forums have become, despite what their announcement claims. If it were just that, blizzard could simply do some harsher (or, well, some actual) moderating. After all, EJ manages to keep a clean forum despite thousands and thousands of users posting on a daily basis, and they certainly don't have blizzard's means: they achieve this through very, very harsh moderating. Blizzard could obviously afford a few extra moderators to keep the forums cleaner.

So what on earth could be worth such trouble? In under 24hours since they posted the announcement, there have been 170+ pages of heated complaints - heated as in "the president has announced Christmas has been canceled", both from players and MVPs alike, and MVPs don't often outright bash a new initiative. This is one of the worst responses I've ever seen on the forums, and for good reason: people value their privacy much more than any in-game mechanic. I just don't understand Blizzard's motivations here.

I think Blizzard's vision of BattleNet is a sort of gamer's facebook, where people get together and vague social networking magic takes places, perhaps giving BlizzardActivation access to the influence (if not the advertising/app revenue) Facebook has had. So having RealID both be a name (to distinguish it from things like Steam that just tie games together without much of an identity for the player) and having it tied to your communications is important to them. If it's tied to your real identity anyway, it's a short step to tying it into all the other networks currently tied to your real identity.

The Blue's ending paragraphs from the announcement seem to be along these lines too:

With the launch of the new Battle.net, it’s important to us to create a new and different kind of online gaming environment -- one that’s highly social, and which provides an ideal place for gamers to form long-lasting, meaningful relationships. All of our design decisions surrounding Real ID -- including these forum changes -- have been made with this goal in mind.

We’ve given a great deal of consideration to the design of Real ID as a company, as gamers, and as enthusiastic users of the various online-gaming, communication, and social-networking services that have become available in recent years. As these services have become more and more popular, gamers have become part of an increasingly connected and intimate global community – friendships are much more easily forged across long distances, and at conventions like PAX or our own BlizzCon, we’ve seen first-hand how gamers who may have never actually met in person have formed meaningful real-life relationships across borders and oceans. As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come.

#19 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well if that's the case, then I could in fact see the Armory being the next logical step in all of this. It basically gives you your own facebook(BNET) page to edit and modify as it is.
What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#20 ZachPruckowski

ZachPruckowski

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Your name doesn't need to be particularly unique though, since a lot of context can be attached to it that makes identification much simpler. This is because it's not just a one way link from gameID->realID, it goes both ways, and is a bridge for any ID linked to either of them to connect to the other end.

Strictly speaking, you don't have to include your character name with your post in the new system, so you could actually avoid tying yourself to a specific WoW character. Of course, avoiding that would be tough, since "Boomkin on Chromaggus Horde-side with ICC-Hard Mode experience" narrows you down to only a handful of possible characters (none of which are mine, if you were wondering). Of course, Chromaggus is a low-pop realm, but I think you get the idea.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that this is inviting legal trouble. So many WoW players are under age and not responsible or mature. I can imagine a kid doing regular cocky kid stuff angering someone who tracks them down. Or worse, the realID system making WoW ideal for predatory... whatever.

I'm not talking about the bad PR. I think there is real danger in this policy.

Which will have the effect of booting all the 13-year-olds off the forums. That's a silver lining at least.

I think there'd be a lot of merit applying it to just the feedback-oriented forums, or even creating a tiered system where some forums are Real-ID and some are not, but Blues only pay attention to the Real-ID ones.

Someone on another site suggested that the real loser here is Realm Forums, which could dry up as a result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users