RealID soon to apply to all forum posts, other upcoming official forum improvements

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
351 replies to this topic

#21 Antiphonal

Antiphonal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

Which will have the effect of booting all the 13-year-olds off the forums. That's a silver lining at least.

I think there'd be a lot of merit applying it to just the feedback-oriented forums, or even creating a tiered system where some forums are Real-ID and some are not, but Blues only pay attention to the Real-ID ones.

Someone on another site suggested that the real loser here is Realm Forums, which could dry up as a result.

Idiot 13-year-olds, yes. They _should_ be booted. But if a 13 year old wanted to ask a question about a talent spec, or PvP technique, or even to post that they are making available X ultra-rare recipe for Y fee, shouldn't the forums be the appropriate place for such things?

But consider the danger - All a child has to do is click a box in order to get their parent's "permission" to post. They are then stalker-bait or rage-bait in an arena that is much harder than facebook to supervise.

I have a very unique name and so obviously I will not be using anything that exposes it to the public, especially regarding something like WoW which is still, in many ways, stigmatized by people in my profession. But a child doesn't know what privacy they are throwing away by clicking the "Mommy said yes" button.

I see an injunction in their future. <waves hands around crystal ball>

#22 Milemarker

Milemarker

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

My personal biggest issue with this (aside from the fact that it would plaster my name all over a gaming forum) is that it affects the level of technical support available to users.

I've never been the biggest user of of the official forum - sure, I've made some recruitment posts, which I wouldn't miss too much (especially since I'm not responsible for this anymore) and I've made very occasional suggestions on specs, gear and gameplay. But the most use I've ever got out of the forums was posting in technical support to narrow down and eventually fix an issue with an old ISP's connectivity to Telia. The forums would be my first point of call with technical game issues, and being able to interact with them would be impossible with this 'Real ID' change. It's a noticeable reduction in level of service for those of us who can't afford to have full names associated with a computer game for professional / personal reasons.

Connected to this, I can only assume they'll have to stop asking for tracert logs in technical support - information like that attached to a real name could have serious implications.

#23 Itzena

Itzena

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

My personal biggest issue is that RL names can be pulled out in-game by UI mods without having to accept RealID friend requests: World of Warcraft (en) Forums -> Addons can share Full Name without RealID

your battle.net account full name is exposed to all your addons (and thus potentially to anyone) without ever adding any realid friends

proof:
/run for i=1,100 do if BNIsSelf(i)then BNSendWhisper(i,"RealID whisper from yourself..");break end end

#24 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

My personal biggest issue with this (aside from the fact that it would plaster my name all over a gaming forum) is that it affects the level of technical support available to users.

I've never been the biggest user of of the official forum - sure, I've made some recruitment posts, which I wouldn't miss too much (especially since I'm not responsible for this anymore) and I've made very occasional suggestions on specs, gear and gameplay. But the most use I've ever got out of the forums was posting in technical support to narrow down and eventually fix an issue with an old ISP's connectivity to Telia. The forums would be my first point of call with technical game issues, and being able to interact with them would be impossible with this 'Real ID' change. It's a noticeable reduction in level of service for those of us who can't afford to have full names associated with a computer game for professional / personal reasons.

Connected to this, I can only assume they'll have to stop asking for tracert logs in technical support - information like that attached to a real name could have serious implications.

The other useful part of the official forums is feedback; primarily PTR or Beta feedback. There is quite a lot of stuff I'd like to say to Blizzard when new mechanics are being tested, but not at the expense of sharing my name with google.

#25 Ellyh

Ellyh

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

My concern is that it will lift the raceblind veil from the forums. Currently no-one knows or cares what ethnic group you belong to but at least 50% of real names allow for all sorts of racial profiling if not out and out racism. Given the general immaturity of people on the wow forums do you really see people belonging to racially identifiable groups wanting to post when they expose their real name to the ignorance and vitriol of the morons inhabiting most of those forums.

#26 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

There was a good post about that in the 200+ pages long thread: every kid must have his or her parent(s) to agree on them disclosing their real names—legal nightmare indeed.

Also note many kids are likely to be playing on an account registered in the parent's name. The parent created the account for their child, associated credit card/etc, then gave the kid the login. It's the kid's account (parent doesn't play), but all registration information lists parent's info.

Said kid posts on forums. Said kid's parent is suddenly logged as the one making the post. Cue problems.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#27 Bonestorm

Bonestorm

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

I agree it's an undesirable move but I think many are overreacting to it so far. Very few people have a name that is unique enough to allow someone to find out anything about you.

Regardless of how common someones name is, it's very easy to find their address/etc. if you have almost any other information to cross reference it with. For example, if John Smith adds me to his Real ID friends list, and his list has a few of his real life friends and family. I could just stick all those names in people search engines or social networking sites, and I could more than likely identify him by finding a John Smith that lives nearby or communicates with some of those people without very much effort. And further, I could just as likely identify a friend of a friend, as in someone not even on my own personal friends list. If the new forum system still shows a character/guild, you could even cross reference guild mates against each other to potentially track people down from them posting on the forums.

Personally, neither my first name or my last name are really that rare, and I'm the only result for my name on search sites such as pipl.com, same thing with my girlfriend. Most friends/family show up with a small handful of results, but if someone had any sort of other information on them such as a general location, an idea of their age, names of friends/family, etc. it would be quite easy to identify them with from their first/last name.

#28 Ukerric

Ukerric

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

There's probably also a number of other sticky issues regarding EU. Notably Blizzard's HQ there, in France - France has relatively strong laws regarding personal information and disclosure thereof (strong as in "get 5 year in jail if you don't comply").

I wonder what the CNIL will think of this...

#29 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

I signed up for a game. I did not sign up for a Facebook substitute. In fact, when I'm in WoW, I'm playing it exactly to get away from the real world. Tying this to my real name goes counter to that.

Additionally, real name will give away awkward information, such as gender. I can't imagine the majority of ladies being thrilled to know it'll now be open season for internet stalkers. Additionally, not everyone is called John Smith. Enter my first and last name in google and at least half of the results will actually be me. I have little reason to want to see WoW pop up a lot in there, particularly not as teacher. Furthermore, there's a number of celebrities that currently play. The WoW-crew itself is under strict conditions to not reveal their position to their own guilds. I've seen posts where people are concerned about a restraining order on an ex-husband suddenly gaining a new way to harass them.

And it's not exactly like this is fully optional. Technical support, after all, is still a part of the official forums.

Finally, this still completely defeats the point of keeping trolls out, as you do not need to post with your main character attached to the post. A John Smith will see little reason to stay out.

//edit: Wow, the official forums have gone crazy. About 1500 posts/hour stating this is an incredibly bad idea. Apparently they're rather heavy-handed with the delete button on the Starcraft forums as well, though I am not sure how much of that is the result of more ascii-one-fingered-salute spam.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#30 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Just to respond to those that don't think we read through all of these responses and threads, we do and have been. We will continue monitoring feedback as well.

We put a lot of thought into this change and have a long-term vision for the Real ID service and wanted to make sure that we communicated ahead of time and very clearly as to what will be changing and how. Keep in mind that posting is optional, and we recognize that some players will choose not to utilize the Real ID feature in game or post on the forums and support everyone's individual choice on using or not using it.

This is obviously new ground for us and for you as well, but we want to make sure we're creating a great social-gaming service that people will want to use. We just want to make sure that if people are sharing feedback, that they keep it constructive, and yes, as I said, we are reading.

I think that just about says it all. They have their plans for Real ID and they're going forward with them, they're just letting us know in advance what those plans are. "Keep in mind that posting is optional" did kind of irritate me, but I don't think they're going to change their minds about this. It seems more like a business decision then a one for their fans.
What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#31 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Exactly that. It seems their new vision is to supplant Facebook. In an incredibly daft way (handing out email + rl name to 'random strangers' -queue dramatic emphasis- is not the most smart of things to do on the internet), but still. 400 pages of complaints in 6 hours of time won't do anything to stop this, I fear.

Actually read a response in the over 300 pages of the thread on the officials that really made me smirk, as it shows how people have started to regard Blizzard since their Activision adventurers: "Just wait, soon they'll offer a $15 programme where you can post without your real name showing again".

#32 Ufthak

Ufthak

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

What do people make of the quote below from Bashiok

One important point which I don't believe has been relayed yet is that the switch to showing RealID on the forums will only happen with the new forum systems we're launching for StarCraft II shortly before its release, and a new forum system for World of Warcraft launching shortly before the release of Cataclysm.

All posts here on the current World of Warcraft forums, or any of our classic Battle.net forums, will remain as-is. They won't (and can't) automatically switch to showing a real first and last name.

All posts in the future on the new forum systems will be an opt-in choice and ample warning will be given that you're posting with your real first and last name.

My bold for emphasis.

I optimistically read that as I don't have to share my name, and I will be warned in case I forget I have set it to show.

#33 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I think you are misreading it.

You opt-in to post. And reveal your name. If you do not opt-in, you do not get to post.

#34 Bonestorm

Bonestorm

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

What do people make of the quote below from Bashiok

My bold for emphasis.

I optimistically read that as I don't have to share my name, and I will be warned in case I forget I have set it to show.

He's not saying sharing your name while posting is optional, he's saying posting at all is optional, and you'll be warned that your first/last name will be there when you post.

Exactly that. It seems their new vision is to supplant Facebook. In an incredibly daft way (handing out email + rl name to 'random strangers' -queue dramatic emphasis- is not the most smart of things to do on the internet), but still. 400 pages of complaints in 6 hours of time won't do anything to stop this, I fear.

I don't see why they would want to 'supplant' Facebook. I would imagine one of their main goals with this is to get people to link their RealID profile on their Facebook(or whatever other social networking site), to potentially draw-in more customers, and make their games appear more mainstream. IE: " I can see some of my friends are playing WoW, maybe I should ask them about it/give it a try."

#35 EasirokThunderpants

EasirokThunderpants

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

It's not overreacting to then assume that, after those bizarre decisions: Real ID could soon apply to the armory, use of trade chat, and ultimately to your ingame character name. Sound outrageous? Maybe, but just a few hours ago many people would have also considered it equally outrageous that use of the official forums would require your real name too.

People are well within their rights to anticipate that things will continue to go from bad, to worse, to disastrous.

I hadn't really considered the notion of Armory being linkable to my real name... but then again I had also never considered the notion that my forum posts could be linked to it either.

And that's just not a chance I can afford to take, as it could very well destroy my professional career.

#36 Kaejin

Kaejin

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

This is obviously new ground for us and for you as well, but we want to make sure we're creating a great social-gaming service that people will want to use. We just want to make sure that if people are sharing feedback, that they keep it constructive, and yes, as I said, we are reading.

Aren't posters making it rather clear that this particular feature makes them not want to use this network they have in mind? I hope they really do take the feedback into consideration instead of just plowing ahead like it sounds is their intent.

Moreover, it seems kind of sneaky to shoehorn in a social gaming network using WoW as a vehicle (officialy it's Starcraft 2, sure, but I think it's pretty obvious the main target is WoW's gigantic userbase). No one said "WoW needs a social network like Facebook!" (or maybe I'm wrong and someone posted it on the suggestion forums where it was quickly pushed off the front page). Instead they just sort of started telling us things about the new Battle.net 2.0 features that were going to be integrated into WoW as well, which quickly evolved into Facebook for games before anyone had time to blink. It all seems very slimy and underhanded and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like corporate meddling.
Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh.

#37 Thorgrim

Thorgrim

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

And that's just not a chance I can afford to take, as it could very well destroy my professional career.

I've seen this objection from a number of people now, and I'm curious: what sorts of careers would be destroyed by someone finding out you played WoW? I'm not doubting that such a career exists, I'm just having trouble coming up with an example personally.

#38 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

Aren't posters making it rather clear that this particular feature makes them not want to use this network they have in mind? I hope they really do take the feedback into consideration instead of just plowing ahead like it sounds is their intent.

Moreover, it seems kind of sneaky to shoehorn in a social gaming network using WoW as a vehicle (officialy it's Starcraft 2, sure, but I think it's pretty obvious the main target is WoW's gigantic userbase). No one said "WoW needs a social network like Facebook!" (or maybe I'm wrong and someone posted it on the suggestion forums where it was quickly pushed off the front page). Instead they just sort of started telling us things about the new Battle.net 2.0 features that were going to be integrated into WoW as well, which quickly evolved into Facebook for games before anyone had time to blink. It all seems very slimy and underhanded and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like corporate meddling.

Because from a business stand-point it doesn't matter who doesn't want to use the service, it just matters who does, the people willing to use it are what they're going to focus on, and from those people they can attract more people and make more money.

A good example is that Celestial Steed, $25 for a mount is absolutely ridiculous, I could probably buy about 5 games off of Steam that are on sale for that amount, so I didn't get it, however there are a bunch of people who will happily shell out $25 for a mount, and the opportunity across 11 million subscribers for a huge profit is there.
What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#39 Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

My suspicion is that a lot of the people who don't outright cancel their subscriptions and boycott Blizzard in disgust (which is the tone of a lot of the vitriol coming out of the community) will flee to non-official community sites like EJ/Shadowpriest.com/Maintankadin to get their gameplay support. The trolling on the official forums will die out, and in that case it'll be a success, but I think the sites that allow players to maintain a sense of anonymity will see a large increase in traffic as a result of this.

#40 Shadowzuka

Shadowzuka

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

This is actually pretty scary. It's not hard to find someone with the information lookups you can buy nowadays. Granted if you have a popular name it will be much harder, but the situation still exists. Overall a bad move by Blizzard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users