• This topic is locked This topic is locked
993 replies to this topic

#981 chippydip

chippydip

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Another option would be to have DS proc some sort of seal damage in addition to the physical hit. (I'd rather have DS do all its damage from the ability so I get bigger heals while soloing old content, though ;-))

#982 Danath

Danath

Banned

• Banned
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

Another option would be to have DS proc some sort of seal damage in addition to the physical hit. (I'd rather have DS do all its damage from the ability so I get bigger heals while soloing old content, though ;-))

I'd rather have (from purely a lore point of view) Divine Storm becoming Holy Damage based. I mean, it's a Divine Storm, right? Look at the aesthetics. It's not a simple swing like Crusader Strike or Templar's Verdict. It's a fierce manifestation of the Light itself;it would be perfect to tweak it so that it deals appropriate Holy Damage!

#983 Nätion

Nätion

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

As good as DS dealing holy damage would be, both in terms of uniqueness and synergy etc... The issue with switching it to holy damage is that when it was released it did holy damage and was very overpowered because of it, so they'd be overly cautious of it happening again.

#984 beta4Life

beta4Life

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:40 AM

As good as DS dealing holy damage would be, both in terms of uniqueness and synergy etc... The issue with switching it to holy damage is that when it was released it did holy damage and was very overpowered because of it, so they'd be overly cautious of it happening again.

That is a problem with a simple remedy though. DS wasn't dealing too much damage specifically because it was dealing holy damage, the problem was the weapon coefficient was too high for it to ignore armor. They never should have removed the holy damage portion, imo, they should have simply reduced the %weapon damage.

Holy damage strikes aren't inherently overpowered, they are just overpowered when they are trying to balance them with similar coefficients to normal melee strikes. It is simple enough to balance caster damage (well perhaps not considering what we saw the last two arena seasons) around being unmitigated by armor, DS being holy wouldn't be terribly difficult either. I am fairly certain the reason the hotfixed it to deal physical damage was simply because it was too late to spend the time finding out what %weapon damage mod would have been balanced if it were to stay holy.

#985 Nätion

Nätion

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Well, in terms of PvP, a holy damage weapon strike would be more effective against higher armor classes since it avoids it, and could at some points be a better attack to use against a single opponent than CS due to that fact. For example, a rough estimate using boss armor mitigation would mean that (in cata) DS would have to deal ,(115% WD *.5919)/1.3, 52% weapon damage as holy damage to deal equal damage to CS, or 52% + ~21%, 73% if holy power were to be calculated in. This in turn would make it substantially weak compared to CS vs lower armor mitigations. It shouldn't be better to DS over CS in a single target situation, but a holy damage DS with reasonable damage could lead to that.

It's possible to get it to work, but it would take some balancing towards pvp. There are simpler ways to make it a more desirable attack in PvE with allowing for that type of PvP balancing issue,. A combination of seal procs, full holy power generation, damage tweak, and/or talents effects would solve it. Just not in as cool a way.

#986 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:45 AM

That's enough wishlisting about Divine Storm. If Blizzard feels like it's not being used enough, they'll do something with it.
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#987 Danath

Danath

Banned

• Banned
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

4.0.3a Patch Notes are up and....

# Divine Storm: This ability has been redesigned. It no longer consumes Holy Power and instead costs 5% of base mana. It shares a cooldown with Crusader Strike and hits all nearby enemies for 60% weapon damage.

I wonder if that's a typing error, just a mistake, or did they alredy revert the 20% buff deployed on the Beta?

#988 beta4Life

beta4Life

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

4.0.3a Patch Notes are up and....

I wonder if that's a typing error, just a mistake, or did they alredy revert the 20% buff deployed on the Beta?

It is pretty likely that the 80% DS patch on beta happened too late to get the change into 4.0.3a. At the very least if the change made it into 4.0.3a the tooltip wouldn't have been fixed that quickly (with the whole translating it into a dozen languages thing), so it is possible DS is doing 80% but the tooltip hasn't been updated yet as well.

#989 Tobrexa

Tobrexa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

It is pretty likely that the 80% DS patch on beta happened too late to get the change into 4.0.3a. At the very least if the change made it into 4.0.3a the tooltip wouldn't have been fixed that quickly (with the whole translating it into a dozen languages thing), so it is possible DS is doing 80% but the tooltip hasn't been updated yet as well.

The tooltip showed 80% on the PTR server I was on. I find it unlikely that they went live with another patch as the one they tested, but you never know. European servers will still be down for some time; I'll update my post as soon as possible.

Update: confirmed 80% tooltip on EU live.

Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, by Spartan law, we lie.

#990 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

Not that its a major factor for dpsing, but rets should be aware that casting WoG does indeed reset your swing timer.

#991 Nairobi the Kenyan

Nairobi the Kenyan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

MMO-Champion BlueTracker

Looks like meta's are going back to not retarded requirements.

#992 aylen86

aylen86

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

The tooltip showed 80% on the PTR server I was on. I find it unlikely that they went live with another patch as the one they tested, but you never know. European servers will still be down for some time; I'll update my post as soon as possible.

I can confirm that the live tooltip (EU servers) was updated to 80% weapon dps and that the 60% number from the 4.0.3a patch notes were off.

Furthermore when using the Glyph of Exorcism, the tooltip is supplemented with the 6s dot portion. 4774 direct damage (affected by Blessing of Might) and 187 dot portion (not affected by BoM) in my case.

On another finding: I asume it's a bug but Lavascale Minestrone - Item - World of Warcraft already is available with some effort (finishing the new cooking daily quest). Considering the stat weightening, this should beat our regular 40 str food, right?

#993 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

Wrong. In Redcape's sheet at 85 Mastery is about 1/8th as powerful as Str. At 80 in my sheet it's around 1/7th. 90 Mastery is far weaker than 80 AP (Fish Feast) or 40 Str.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#994 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

http://elitistjerks....p2/#post1813289
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users