Photo

[Elemental] Cataclysm changes collected (updated: 10/08/22)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#1 quiddity

quiddity

firmly mediocre since 1977

•  Patrons
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Talents

Talent Changes:
  • Removed - Elemental Fury (now a primary skill)
  • Removed - Lightning Mastery (integrated into Eye of the Storm)
  • Removed - Booming Echos
  • Removed - Astral Shift
  • Removed - Thunderstorm (Skill learned at level 10 when you spec elemental)
  • Removed - Totem of Wrath (replaced by Totemic Wrath)
  • Removed - Elemental Devastation (moved to the Enhancement tree)
  • Removed - Unrelenting Storm
  • Removed - Shamanism (now a primary skill)
  • New - Ancestral Knowledge (moved in from the Enhancement tree)
  • New - Lava Surge
  • New - Totemic Wrath
  • New - Earthquake
  • New - Fulmination
  • New - Rolling Thunder
  • New - Ancestral Swiftness (not in the elemental tree, but potentially relevant, removed in build 12539 inadvertently per GC)
  • New - Feedback (replaced Shamanism in the talent tree)
  • Change - Improved Shields (moved up to tier 1 from tier 2 in the Enhancement tree)
  • Change - Elemental Mastery (no longer shares a cooldown with Nature's Swiftness and now also increases your Fire, Frost, and Nature damage by 15% for the duration of the spell.)
  • Change - Elemental Weapons (Enhancement talent, but almost certainly in a elemental build. The wording of the talent was changed.)

Primary Skills:

The original passive Mastery bonuses players were to receive according to how they spent points in each tree are being replaced by the automatic passive bonuses earned when a tree specialization is chosen. These passives are flat percentages and we no longer intend for them to scale with the number of talent points spent. The Mastery bonus that was unique to each tree will now be derived from the Mastery stat, found on high-level items, and Mastery will be a passive skill learned from class trainers around level 75. In most cases, the Mastery stats will be the same as the tree-unique bonuses we announced earlier this year. These stats can be improved by stacking Mastery Rating found on high-level items.

source

Mastery:
Mastery is affected by the Mastery Rating on your character's gear.
  • Grants a 20% chance for Elemental Overload to occur. Elemental Overload causes a Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, or Lava Burst spell you cast to trigger a second, similar spell on the same target at no additional cost that causes 60% of normal damage and no threat. Chance to trigger increased further by mastery rating.

Skills:

Armor Specialization:

Other Notes:
  • Totem of Wrath now will replace Flametongue Totem for all shaman, and dropping this totem will buff the group's spell power by 4%. Elemental shaman will have a talent that lets all Fire totems provide +10% spell power, allowing them to drop Searing, Magma, or Fire Elemental Totems without losing their spell-damage buff. The 4% and 10% buffs will be exclusive with each other and with the warlock's Demonic Pact, so you can't benefit from all of them at once. We're also considering letting Elemental drop Searing Totem at range. (mentioned in the talent changes)
  • Elemental Reach will be simplified so shaman have a more consistent spell range.
  • Elemental will have a deep talent that allows Spirit (which will appear on the gear they share with Restoration shaman) to boost their Hit rating. (Elemental Precision)
  • We're fine with totem health given how easy totems are to replace. We also think it's fine to have to (sometimes) choose between a buff totem and a non-buff totem given how many different things a shaman can do. However, we are going to increase buff totem range (and possibly other totem range) and we have figured out a way to make Searing Totem attack your target, instead of a random and probably inappropriate target.
  • We'd like to downplay Fire Nova in lieu of Earthquake (in addition to Chain Lightning of course). We also agree that Fire Nova should be used for true AE situations and not against single targets.
  • Ancestral Knowledge will boost mana pool size, not Intellect. (not specifically elemental, but relevant)
  • Cleansing Totem will be removed from the game, as we want dispels to be a decision for players, not something done mindlessly. To that end, all dispels will cost slightly more mana, and you will waste the spell if you cast it when there is nothing to remove. (Currently, the dispel is only cast when there is something to remove, which encourages spamming 'just in case.") We will balance PvE dispelling with this new model in mind. ((not specifically elemental, but relevant)'
  • We didn't set out with the goal of change for the sake of change though. Most of the new rotational abilities we've added were to fix problems with the class. Prot warriors for example are going to be hitting the same buttons they hit in LK because we think that works. Elemental is getting Unleashed Weapon (and Earthquake), and beyond that we think you have the right number of buttons to hit, so we're hesitant to cram a new button in there. Nor are we excited about giving you "Super Duper Lightning Bolt" that lets you take Lightning Bolt off your bar just for the sake of having a new button. I'd characterize the Elemental playstyle as closer to a mage, who isn't managing a ton of different nukes, but does have to react to what is happening in terms of procs, short cooldowns and movement. Lava Surge, Elemental Mastery and Unleashed Weapon are examples of those respectively.

We'll definitely take the feedback under advisement though.
  • Elemental's range talent needs to affect Unleash Weapon too.

Developer Q&A, July 16th
  • Q: With the new implemented Lava Surge, will Chain Lightning become useful for multiple mobs only?
    A: It always has had, and will continue to have, some niche use as a gap-filler against single targets when Lava Burst has around a second left on its cooldown. Lava Surge won’t always proc, but it’s likely to be more of a multi-target ability, yes.
  • Q: With Elemental Fury becoming a passive for Elemental shaman, will Enhancement be seeing more physical based damage?
    A: Spells like Lava Burst and shocks will always be a big part of Enhancement’s damage, but yes, we’d like weapon attacks like Stormstrike and Lava Lash to be a larger part of Enhancement Shamans’ damage in Cataclysm. N.B.: Mental Quickness is getting a boost to help compensate for the loss of Elemental Fury. (possibly relevant)
  • Q: Are there any plans of making totems utility only (e.g. Earthbind, Grounding) and turning buff totems into auras or cast buffs?
    A: Not at this time. We’re aware of the concerns regarding the use of buff totems among some shaman, but the positional aspect is something that we consider inherent to the nature of totems. By increasing totem durations, consolidating some buff totems, and introducing the multi-drop totem spells in Wrath of the Lich King, we’ve attempted to mitigate as much of the inconvenience as possible, while preserving the core gameplay of paying attention to where totems are being dropped.
  • Q: Will there be a "hard cap" for Mastery rating (to avoid having 101% chance of getting a critical block, for example)?
    A: In the course of finalizing all of the Masteries for the various talent specializations, we will make sure that, in the expected gear a player can acquire from the final Cataclysm raid tiers, the player will not crash into a "hard cap" unless they go out of their way to stack Mastery more than is reasonable. This may require redesigning some of the Masteries as the rest of the class designs are finalized. (generally relevant)
  • Q: What is the conversion rate for intellect to spell power for Cataclysm? Will it differ with each class?
    A: Each point of intellect grants one point of spell power, excepting the first 10 points. This is vaguely similar to attack power, where each point of strength or agility gives two attack power, excepting the first 10 points.

We realize this slightly reduces the spell power per budget on items, so we also increased the amount of spell power granted by caster weapons, and that increase entirely makes up for the deficit. Those weapons will continue to have spell power as well as intellect, and the amount of spell power will be significantly larger than in 3.3.5.
    (generally relevant)
  • Q: Can you provide some clarity on the 3rd Mastery that is affected item stats?
    A: We recognized the earlier implementation of Mastery in the beta was confusing. Mastery is no longer directly associated with a talent tree, but is instead a passive effect learned from a trainer at a later level. That passive effect will now grant the third Mastery bonus you formerly saw in the talent tree pane. The passive effect will have a base value, and then Mastery rating will increase that effect further. The other two Mastery bonuses previously listed at the top of the talent tree pane have been removed, but, in some cases, have been reimplemented as passive specialization bonuses. Currently, in the beta, you cannot see any of the Masteries, as they need to be reimplemented after the talent tree redesign. (generally relevant)

updated for build 12803
-- 10/08/22 Added new elemental talents "Fulmination" and "Rolling Thunder".

updated for build 12759

updated for build 12644

updated for build 12604
-- 10/07/23 Added the armor specialization, just put in the one that applies to elemental shaman and the talent/skill changes. Also changed the "Masteries" section to now be "Primary Skills" to reflect the appropriate terminology.

updated for build 12539
-- 10/07/21 Changed Ancestral Swiftness's blurb since GC says it still exists.
-- 10/07/21 Added talent changes. Collapsed the talent changes into one topic. Haven't removed Ancestral Swiftness yet because it just disappeared without (as far as I know) a statement saying it should be gone.

updated for build 12479
--- 10/07/14 Fixed masteries with the new mastery system and added blurb from blue post explaining.
--- 10/07/16 Added developer chat stuff, not too much for us...clearly they hate us.

#2 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

Decent summary, on the removed talents, it should be
Lightning Mastery (integrated into Eye of the Storm), since now the cast time and cast interruption is one 3-point talent.

On other changes, the change to the run speed talent in Enhance and allowing Ghost Wolf indoors helps Elemental shaman be more mobile.

#3 Lucitron

Lucitron

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

/.../
The Mastery bonus that was unique to each tree will now be derived from the Mastery stat, found on high-level items, and Mastery will be a passive skill learned from class trainers around level 75.
/.../

You might wish to add this information, considering it explains the removal of Acute Overload.
Egoist: A person of low taste, more interested in themselves than in me.

#4 quiddity

quiddity

•  Patrons
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Actually I'm just going to remove Acute Overload altogether and pretend it never existed. I'll be updating this from build 12479 onward and detailing the changes for elemental shaman, but I don't really think its useful to go back and talk about changes from previous beta builds.

#5 Horac

Horac

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:27 AM

Masteries:

• Spell Damage - Increases all spell damage done by a percentage. 0.155% per point, 8.01% Max (51)
  • Spell Critical - Increases your spell critical strike chance by a percentage. 0.155% per point, 8.01% Max (51)
  • Elemental Overload - Grants a percentage chance for Elemental Overload to occur. Elemental Overload causes a Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, or Lava Burst spell you cast to trigger a second, similar spell on the same target at no additional cost that causes half damage and no threat. 0.5% per point, 25.5% Max (51)

The masteries as they were originally described are scrapped. The new thing is the "specialization bonuses" granted when you choose the specialization. You can find announcement in the Mastery System update. Here's an excerpt from that post.

A True Mastery

The original passive Mastery bonuses players were to receive according to how they spent points in each tree are being replaced by the automatic passive bonuses earned when a tree specialization is chosen. These passives are flat percentages and we no longer intend for them to scale with the number of talent points spent. The Mastery bonus that was unique to each tree will now be derived from the Mastery stat, found on high-level items, and Mastery will be a passive skill learned from class trainers around level 75. In most cases, the Mastery stats will be the same as the tree-unique bonuses we announced earlier this year. These stats can be improved by stacking Mastery Rating found on high-level items.

MMO Champion has them listed.
  • Eye of the Storm (.5 seconds off your CL, LB, and LvB cast times and push-back resistance on those spells)
  • Thunderstorm
  • Elemental Fury (+100% crit damage on spell critical strikes).

#6 Zimeron

Zimeron

Cookies!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

You may want to mention that Fire Nova is no longer usable with Searing Totem, which limits our abilities to use while on the move.

#7 Vanathar

Vanathar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

An interesting discussion has started up at Planet of the Hats regarding the usefulness of Lava Surge.

Being as it gives your flame shock ticks a % chance to reset the cooldown on LvB, how will this ultimately effect our rotation?

It has been suggested by Santux in the comments at Planet of the Hats that a Lock n Load proc would be easier to manage. I have to admit, I also think a Lock N Load style proc would be easier to accomodate. Basically, to quote Santux:

What do you think about a Lock and Load type treatment with Lava Surge?

*Flame shock ticks have a 30% chance to make your next Lava Burst not trigger its cooldown*

Would definately solve the problem of the 8 second window having meaningless Surge procs.

To me the potential issue is if and when you get a lava surge proc, or a string of them, not early in your rotation after LvB has been cast, but later, or right before your CD has expired. If you get a Lava surge immediately before your LvB CD has expired (or within the 1.5 second LB cast prior to your next LvB), then you gain practically nothing in the way of additional DPS. If your Lava Surge procs shortly after you have just cast a LvB, then obviously you gain a lot by being able to cast 6.5-1.5 seconds earlier than your next 8 second CD is up.

Here is how I see this potentially working. I am not in beta, so of course, I could be mistaken,and appreciate any clarification anyone who is in the beta could provide.

Your normal rotation (minus unleash weapon at this point) might be: FS>LvB>LB/CL>LB>LB>LB>LvB

IF Lava surge procs immediately after you cast LvB, you will likely already be casting your next spell (LB or CL), so I'll assume a 1.5 second delay between the time you cast LvB and when you can potentially recognize you got the proc and then take advantage of it, as you will likely not want to /stopcasting to cast your LvB. That means you fire off two LvB within a couple of seconds, which could be excellent for your dps.

But what if your Lava surge inserts itself about 6.5 or 7 seconds after you last cast LvB? You'll already be mid-cast on a LB or CL, and by the time your done with that cast, you're normal CD of LvB will already have expired. The later the Lava Surge proc is in your rotation, the less reliable it becomes as a dps increase, making your dps less predicable depending on the placement of your Surge effect.

If, however, the Lock n Load mechanic were to be used, where your Lava Surge, rather than reset your LvB CD, merely caused your next LvB to not trigger the CD, then you could see something like the following (and to me more desirable) situation:

FS>LvB>LB/CL>LB>LB>LB>LvB>LvB> so on.

This would always make a Lava Surge procs an increase in dps, rather than the current iteration, though the proc % would not necessarily be 35% as that would almost guarantee a Surge proc every rotation period.

Of course, the coefficients of LvB may have to be tuned to reflect the proc, but I found the Lock n Load mechanic to be an intriguing idea.

Has anyone had a chance to test exactly how the Lava Surge mechanic works out in Beta? I haven't received my key (YET!).

Edited 7/15: corrected typo.

#8 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

The Mastery bonus that was unique to each tree will now be derived from the Mastery stat

While you are right that Mastery will not affect the first two of the old mastery, it was my understanding that the third "unique" stat would be affected by Mastery. So for Elemental you get more Overload procs as you stack Mastery and currently Enhance gets more nature damage.

While I like the idea of Lava Burst's cooldown resetting, I don't like you can "lose" the reset if it happens right as the spell normally resets. Using Lock N' Load seems like a good idea.

I wonder about the Fire Nova change. Since it doesn't say FN cannot be used with Searing, what are Elemental/Enhance supposed to use (enhance has a talent for Searing and Magma is sort of hard to use for Elemental).

#9 Horac

Horac

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

While you are right that Mastery will not affect the first two of the old mastery, it was my understanding that the third "unique" stat would be affected by Mastery. So for Elemental you get more Overload procs as you stack Mastery and currently Enhance gets more nature damage.

While I like the idea of Lava Burst's cooldown resetting, I don't like you can "lose" the reset if it happens right as the spell normally resets. Using Lock N' Load seems like a good idea.

I wonder about the Fire Nova change. Since it doesn't say FN cannot be used with Searing, what are Elemental/Enhance supposed to use (enhance has a talent for Searing and Magma is sort of hard to use for Elemental).

Mastery never effected the first two bonuses only the third unique one. The quoted line in your post is taken directly from the linked blue post. Essentially the 2 passive bonuses are gone, replaced by the passive effects granted when you choose your specialization and the 3rd bonus (elemental overload for elemental) that is effected by mastery stat will now be completely dependent on how much mastery you have on your gear (Before it was set to a default starting value based on 51 talent points in your tree and increased by mastery). You train your mastery bonus around level 75 which is just before gear with mastery rating will begin showing up in the game (Blues have stated that mastery will only be available on the high level 78+ cataclysm gear).

I think the intention for Fire Nova is that it will only be used with magma totem (which gets FN out of single target rotations). As far as elemental having difficulty with placing magma the devs are supposed to be working on a "totem launcher" type thing to allow you to place it from range.

I found the blue post about totem tossing. It's in a Q&A Nethaera posted in the Class preview thread. It's the fourth question in the Q&A

#10 Divis0R

Divis0R

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

I am in the beta and I'm happy to share some insights.

I will start by saying that the tree specializations work bad, there is no way to learn the Elemental Overload skill, Unrelenting Storm does not work at all and Lava Surge works better than I expected, after the nerf from 30% to 20%.

1. Tree specializations. Eye of the Storm applies the cast reduction twice. Haste works normal. Crits are 2x indeed, but the crit damage increase for Lava Burst seems to not apply. Barely managed to hit 11k crits with the gear I have (check my armory, it's the same on Beta).
2. Elemental Overload is not available from trainers. However, there is an instant version of Lava Burst in the spellbook, requiring training, but not available at the trainer. I suppose that's the placeholder for Overload.
3. Unrelenting Storm has no real effect. We have now mana regen while casting and mana regen while not casting. In Cata, it's changed to mana regen while in combat and mana regen while not in combat. Unrelenting Storm applies to the out-of-combat regen. In combat we have only Water Shield, meaning 100 mp5. In around 5 minutes and 20 seconds I managed to empty a 33k mana pool with 3 Flame Shocks, and Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst spam. Nothing else.
4. The Pandora's Box, Lava Surge. I can say that it procs and it procs a lot. I was having 2.15secs between FS ticks. Without the Overload, I managed to increase the FS duration only through Lava Surge + T10 4x bonus to around 30 seconds. All that was said here, and also the debate on Planet of the Hats holds true. If it procs at the same time the normal cd would have ended, you lose the proc. If it procs during LvB cast, you lost it. If it procs right after you started a LB after LvB, you will lose time equal to LB cast + LvB cast. /stopcasting will have no benefit, since when LB started casting, the client 1 sec lockdown was initiated and you would lose that time doing nothing. In my own opinion, it adds some randomness to the boring rotation we already have. My idea for improvement would be a Lock'n'Load mechanic, combined with a Hot Streak mechanic. Or only a Hot Streak mechanic. Once you get the proc, fire it and instantly trigger the cooldown.

Overall, I'm not incredibly excited about all the changes, but in the same time I totally understand that I can only give feedback and hope for the best. Also, this is only the first pass, many things are still to be done. Making a definitive "the new talents suck" statement at this point can only be seen as stupid.

I will continue to test stuff on the PTR and throw infos at you hungry-for-info people.

PS. Funny thing: due to the cast reduction from Eye of the Storm being applied twice, my Lava Burst cast was at 0.682 sec and Lightning Bolt at 1.02 sec, with WoA totem down and the Bizuri's relic at 5 stacks. Who needs Heroism ? :)

#11 Vanathar

Vanathar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

PS. Funny thing: due to the cast reduction from Eye of the Storm being applied twice, my Lava Burst cast was at 0.682 sec and Lightning Bolt at 1.02 sec, with WoA totem down and the Bizuri's relic at 5 stacks. Who needs Heroism ? :)

I am unfamiliar with the EotS being applied twice. I assume this is a bug?

When you transferred your character onto the beta server, how much haste did you preserve? I know the Devs have stated their intention to reduce the amount of haste and crit you can get by level 85, but is there any appreciable decline in those stats at or near level 80 due to the conversion, or do those reductions occur over the transition to level 85?

I am curious, because at the moment, playing an elemental shaman is a very fast casting, quick-paced rotation. If haste as an overall stat is lowered significantly or made less effective than it currently is, or if Mastery is considered a higher value stat at 85 than haste or crit, then I can see our rotations slowing down. I'm just curious how much slower they will be.

#12 jontaxe

jontaxe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

It has been suggested by Santux in the comments at Planet of the Hats that a Lock n Load proc would be easier to manage. I have to admit, I also think a Lock N Load style proc would be easier to accomodate. Basically, to quote Santux:
[snip non-optimal FS tick explanation]

The point (I think) of Lava Surge is to make LvB scale with haste, which it currently does not. A Lock n Load proc doesn't make it scale with haste at all, it just allows you to fire off 2 every 8s instead of 1. Instead of a LnL treatment they might as well double the cast time, damage, and overload chance and call it a day. And then we would still be in the same boat we were in Wrath: A nuke that starts at borderline OP, doesn't scale with haste or crit through the expansion, and leaves us behind as other casters gear up. (To be nitpicky, not exactly double. At any realistic levels of haste and a 20% proc chance you have ~70% chance to get a proc within 8 seconds.)

Now if they really wanted to give the stat equivalency theorycrafters a headache they would up the proc chance but make it so only FS DoT crits had a chance to proc it.

As an aside (I'm not in beta) is it possible to skip earthquake and take stormstrike? Yes, you are back in that annoying melee range caster spot. But +20% to lightning bolts might well be impossible to skip. I fully expect it to be nerfed if it works.

#13 masanbol

masanbol

Space Goats Coast to Coast

•  Patrons
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

As an aside (I'm not in beta) is it possible to skip earthquake and take stormstrike? Yes, you are back in that annoying melee range caster spot. But +20% to lightning bolts might well be impossible to skip. I fully expect it to be nerfed if it works.

No, as you are forced to take 31 points in Elemental, which means the most points you could put into Enhancement would be 10. Stormstrike is an 11-point talent.

I think Lava Surge is well-intentioned, as LvB as a core ability has some pretty big flaws, but there's a lot of potential to "waste" procs and other issues that I think Blizzard should examine during beta.

#14 jontaxe

jontaxe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I think Lava Surge is well-intentioned, as LvB as a core ability has some pretty big flaws, but there's a lot of potential to "waste" procs and other issues that I think Blizzard should examine during beta.

It's biggest flaw is the fixed CD, which prevents any real benefits from haste. Other classes also have fixed CD abilities, obviously, but none (AFAIK) on such a large fraction of their DPS. The huge autocritting nuke causing such headaches in pvp was just icing on the cake.

The quick and easy way to fix it would be to just say LvBs CD is reduced by haste with the same formula used to reduce cast times. I'd be OK with that, but Lava Surge is a more "reactive" and "dynamic" and whatever other adjectives GC is using these days way to accomplish the same thing.

Yes, there are wasted procs this way, yes some procs are better than others, and yes, you will invariably be half way through your next LB cast when it procs. But all that is fixed by tweaking the proc chance. All you have to do is decide how fast, on average, you want an elemental shaman to be able to cast 2 LvBs, figure in the delay as you finish your next LB, and adjust the % chance accordingly. The "wasted" procs 7.5s into your CD and the "ideal" procs just average out in the long term. Hopefully "long term" will mean a 5 min boss fight and not a year.

I am thinking about two things: 1) Even at a 20% proc chance, even figuring in a .5 * LB Cast Time delay after the proc (not entirely accurate, I know), and even with wasted procs, Lava Surge still allows you to cast 2 LvB faster than the above mentioned "your haste reduces your LvB CD by the spell cast reduction formula" all the way to 40% haste. More accurate theorycrafting will probably reduce that figure (my model is pretty optimistic) but still.

2) The mage pyromaniac talent. If its intent is to just let mages flamestrike trash packs faster so be it. If, however, Blizz is moving towards multi-target boss encounters and if multiple FS dots can proc Lava Surge then this talent has the potential to become downright obnoxious.

#15 Horac

Horac

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Rouncer posted the following in the enhancement thread.

Link

just checked on my 23 goblin shaman and their is no base mastery bonus affecting her spells.

Naked with no spec - 34 spellpower
66-71 LB
66-69 ES
62-65 FrS

Naked specced enh - 68 spellpower
90-95 LB
79-82 ES
75-79 FrS

Notice that the increase in damage for ES and FrS is identical and corresponds directly to the increased spellpower from mental quickness. Spending that first talent point didn't change anything either.

Edit - just went back and checked things a bit more thoroughly using resto gear but then specializing in enhancement. There no longer seems to be a base mastery bonus. You get the nature damage bonus from mastery rating but there is no longer the 20% boost from being specced enhancement no matter what your level.

Makes sense since they haven't even started tuning damage around the 31 point trees in this build.

So that would mean no base amount on elemental overload, Eclipse, shadow orbs etc for specs with active mastery bonuses. Seems very strange to me that you would train EO at level 75 but not actually get any benefit from it until you started getting mastery gear. I guess if they do a "bonus" mastery based on wearing "your" gear (mail armor class) you might have some small benefit for those levels. We'll have to wait and see.

#16 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just checked for you, Horac.

With 0 mastery rating I had no overloads over about 30 casts. When I put on 495 mastery rating, which is 5.32 mastery, I had a mastery proc within 7-8 casts. Someone will need to do more concrete testing to determine the mastery to overload proc rate. I wasn't able to get a Lava Burst one before the server restarted. I'll try again when it comes back up again.

Edit - ok, that was funny. Server came back up and the very first lava burst I cast overloaded.

Edit 2 - I'm a masochist so did 100 LBs with the 5.32 mastery and had 15 overloads. Didn't have any overloads proccing from overloads, as expected.

#17 Horac

Horac

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

Twitter Q&A Link

Masteries
Q: Can you provide some clarity on the 3rd Mastery that is affected item stats?
A. We recognized the earlier implementation of Mastery in the beta was confusing. Mastery is no longer directly associated with a talent tree, but is instead a passive effect learned from a trainer at a later level. That passive effect will now grant the third Mastery bonus you formerly saw in the talent tree pane. The passive effect will have a base value, and then Mastery rating will increase that effect further. The other two Mastery bonuses previously listed at the top of the talent tree pane have been removed, but, in some cases, have been reimplemented as passive specialization bonuses. Currently, in the beta, you cannot see any of the Masteries, as they need to be reimplemented after the talent tree redesign.

Elemental specific
Q. With the new implemented Lava Surge, will Chain Lightning become useful for multiple mobs only?
A. It always has had, and will continue to have, some niche use as a gap-filler against single targets when Lava Burst has around a second left on its cooldown. Lava Surge won’t always proc, but it’s likely to be more of a multi-target ability, yes.

Totems
Q. Are there any plans of making totems utility only (e.g. Earthbind, Grounding) and turning buff totems into auras or cast buffs?
A. Not at this time. We’re aware of the concerns regarding the use of buff totems among some shaman, but the positional aspect is something that we consider inherent to the nature of totems. By increasing totem durations, consolidating some buff totems, and introducing the multi-drop totem spells in Wrath of the Lich King, we’ve attempted to mitigate as much of the inconvenience as possible, while preserving the core gameplay of paying attention to where totems are being dropped.

So there will be a base amount of mastery granted to each spec meaning that elemental overload wont be a wasted training for 3 levels which is good to hear. From Rouncer's testing it looks like the mastery scaling is working so far but the base amounts haven't been coded in yet.

Not a lot of clarity on Lava Surge and it looks like Chain Lightning will slide into its familiar place as a rotation tightener and a small group aoe spell.

I am pretty disappointed in the response on totems. I don't see why the developers still seem to think that the totem mechanics make for "fun and exciting" game play or why we should be required to do so much maintenance of the buffs we bring. The design limits us in pve and pvp since the buff totems and utility totems conflict with each other. On top of that it sounds as though they want us to continue redropping totems all the time which I am pretty sure no one has found fun for some time now. No comments on range limitations or plans to remedy them.

#18 quiddity

quiddity

•  Patrons
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

Twitter Q&A Link

So there will be a base amount of mastery granted to each spec meaning that elemental overload wont be a wasted training for 3 levels which is good to hear. From Rouncer's testing it looks like the mastery scaling is working so far but the base amounts haven't been coded in yet.

Not a lot of clarity on Lava Surge and it looks like Chain Lightning will slide into its familiar place as a rotation tightener and a small group aoe spell.

I am pretty disappointed in the response on totems. I don't see why the developers still seem to think that the totem mechanics make for "fun and exciting" game play or why we should be required to do so much maintenance of the buffs we bring. The design limits us in pve and pvp since the buff totems and utility totems conflict with each other. On top of that it sounds as though they want us to continue redropping totems all the time which I am pretty sure no one has found fun for some time now. No comments on range limitations or plans to remedy them.

I don't want to read too much into their response on totems, but they don't seem to indicate anything about the ability to "throw" totems. I wonder if that means those plans were scrapped like Spirit Link.

#19 Divis0R

Divis0R

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

I am unfamiliar with the EotS being applied twice. I assume this is a bug?

When you transferred your character onto the beta server, how much haste did you preserve? I know the Devs have stated their intention to reduce the amount of haste and crit you can get by level 85, but is there any appreciable decline in those stats at or near level 80 due to the conversion, or do those reductions occur over the transition to level 85?

I am curious, because at the moment, playing an elemental shaman is a very fast casting, quick-paced rotation. If haste as an overall stat is lowered significantly or made less effective than it currently is, or if Mastery is considered a higher value stat at 85 than haste or crit, then I can see our rotations slowing down. I'm just curious how much slower they will be.

First question: Yes, it's a bug. It will be fixed, definitely.
Second question: I preserved all the haste I have on my current lv 80 Shaman (check armory link in profile). The current 1080 haste is converted into 42.82% haste, on the Live servers. In Beta, 1081 haste (small gear changes on Live) + the 220 haste from Bizuri's relic = 1301 rating turns into 39.68% haste. Proof. I am sure some math-guy can convert the ratings and percentages to find the decay value. I had level 80 when I did the dummy tests. I can provide the new values, at level 81, as soon as I get home (no WoW@work).

At the moment, with the buggy EotS, Elemental is in a fast forward effect. All spells are GCD capped. Can't make any serious assumption based on this. Also, it's quite early to make this kind of estimates, since we're allowed to level only to 82. As soon as we'll be allowed to hit 85 on PTR, we can delve into maths a bit deeper. For now, I am testing quests and areas, reporting bugs in 1-ton packs.

#20 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4803 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

I am sure some math-guy can convert the ratings and percentages to find the decay value.

This is the best information I could find, but these numbers are more than 2 months old. If anyone has information from a more current build to disprove this, please do.

Some numbers from the 4.0 client

[TABLE] |60|70 |80 |81 |82 |83 |84 |85
melee hit |10|15.769|32.79 |46.696|66.499| 94.701|134.862|192.056
spell hit |8 |12.615|26.232|37.357|53.199| 75.76 |107.89 |153.645
crit |14|22.077|45.906|65.374|93.099|132.581|188.807|268.878
haste |10|15.769|32.79 |46.696|66.499| 94.701|134.862|192.056[/TABLE]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users