• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

I mentioned this briefly in another thread as one of the problems with consumables, but I thought the topic is big enough for its own thread. Prior to the expansion, there were lots of ways for guilds to make gold for their banks to cover expenses like potions, flasks, and respecs - selling MC BoEs, MC materials (cores/leather/etc), Elementium Ore, and MC/BWL/even Naxx BoP items. So far in TBC, none of the raid zones seem to drop unique sellable materials or BOEs, so those options are no longer available. The reduction in the raid size from 40 means that selling slots for BoP gear is more of a real cost to the raid group, and the existing 25 man content (barring Maulgar) is already difficult enough without someone tagging along to buy loot. The most realistic zone to sell BoP items from is Karazhan, but as a 10 man, it's even harder to make room for someone who's just along for the ride, and it's less of a guild effort and more of a sacrifice for that particular group.

So my question for discussion here is - since the 'traditional' avenues for funding a guild bank are largely obsolete, how have you managed to keep the resource available? How do you handle tank flask/pot costs and possible fight-specific respecs?

#2 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Honestly, I don't see a good way to do it without relying on the membership to just come prepared with their own consumables. Its too annoying to ferry people in for gear drops. Personally I cut in my group whenever I sell something that took a Primal Nether, not that its a ton, but it gives folks some extra free cash just for running instances.

Unlike in EQ where spells and runes for spells dropped which provided an actual source of income for the bank, it doesn't seem to really be the case here.

On the plus side, farming flasks/most potions now really isn't shit, and anyone serious about raiding might as well give up a profession slot for herbalism right now because nothing else will probably help you in the long run as much as just being able to pick plants when you need to.

#3 Jager

Jager

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

We used to rely very heavily on running people through MC/BWL in order to fund our expendable usage in Naxx. As noted this is no longer really an option, so guess the few of us in the guild that aren't already herbalists will have to start making herbalist twinks =/

#4 Z-Factor

Z-Factor

Gurgbul Fanboy

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Quite simply, we don't, but then as an entirely new guild as of TBC we weren't able to exploit BWL and MC. Will it be possible to exploit Karazhan? unlikely. Gruul's Lair, definately in a month or two. But at present we're just relying on a lot of contributions, and with regards to herbs i'm spending a lot of my non-pve time grinding gold to buy them and then making 50% of the raids requirements myself.

#5 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Actually is there a way to ensure that the gold from a boss goes to one person? I wonder how fast one could plow through BWL on a saturday morning or something and just loot all the money to the guild bank. The problem I'm seeing is that many guilds are newly formed and its not a question of how to keep the money flowing, but how to even establish a guild bank fund.

#6 Guest_Abbi_*

Guest_Abbi_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Karazhan drops Soul Essences. We've been collecting them; I haven't tried to sell any, since I don't know whether Arcane Resist will be important for later raids.

However, this is a fairly minor nitpick. Soul Essences are only used for three cloth items with AR, and those items aren't a requirement for progression in Karazhan. I don't expect them to have the same kind of aftermarket that cores did.

We're currently sitting on a fairly small cash balance that we made from running Molten Core and selling Sulfuron Ingots to people with more money than ability to predict Burning Crusade 2H weapon DPS. We supplement this to a small degree by selling the Arcane Dust that piles up from greens.

Given the Karazhan difficulty level, I think this'll get us through that instance. Gruul's Lair worries me. If it gets retuned before we get there, which is completely probable given our speed of progression, things will be okay. But this may be simply putting off the day when we go broke.

Any sign of salable crafting components in Serpentshrine?

#7 Copernicus

Copernicus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

The only option I see from PvE is selling Primal Nethers. Some end bosses can be 4-manned by the right group and there is always lining up a buyer for a crafted item. The idea of running BWL for gold might be doable- it's possible for someone to drop group to pick up the individual gold after a fight.

There was a thread about selling slots on PvP arena teams, but that's even more of an individual effort and removed from the guild.

There are also Primal Manas from Karazhan and Void Crystals, but I'm not too sure if those are enough to support a guild bank.

#8 vorda

vorda

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Actually is there a way to ensure that the gold from a boss goes to one person? I wonder how fast one could plow through BWL on a saturday morning or something and just loot all the money to the guild bank. The problem I'm seeing is that many guilds are newly formed and its not a question of how to keep the money flowing, but how to even establish a guild bank fund.

Yes, make the master looter leave the raid group, pick up the gold and then rejoin the raid.

We had a pretty filled guid bank pre TBC and sold everything when we did our server transfer, so I suppose we have some funds to rely on atm. That being said, consumables (other then flasks/tank stuff) are at the moment the member's responsability. We had a dkp rewarding system for herbs, and I suppose that will be reastablished once we start using dkp again.

#9 Playered

Playered

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Primal Vortex :)

We have no way to fuel guild banks atm, so people have to provide their own flasks and consumables (even our prot warriors) for raiding, aswell as respecing for Gruul.

I've heard that a fair amount of people have now turned to account shareing in order to have access to Herbalism.
Leveling an alt to 70, then getting him a flying mount, and then an epic flying mount because the normal one drives you mad after getting used to the epic one, is not fun just to enable you to farm so you can raid on your main character.

I personally tried this, and decided its not worth the risk, my old rogue (62) is a tailor and makes me 250g per 4days with Mooncloth(spec) & Spellcloth, which I splash into herbs off the AH - simple.

Only thing our 'guild bank' can do atm is provide our melee with Void Crystals which we get from Karazhan for their Mongoose enchant.

#10 spronk

spronk

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

You pretty much need a hardcore group of people (5, 10, 15?) who don't mind farming herbs 10-20 hours a week for the entire raid. A herbalist on a epic mount can farm a dozen stacks in an hour of various herbs.

Of course keeping those people motivated to farm week after week, especially after a series of unfortunate wipes, is tough...

#11 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Assuming nobody does anything dumb and causes repair bills, what would be the minimum number of lvl 70s that could fully clear BWL, and how much gold could be earned and how long would it take?

#12 Drauk

Drauk

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Assuming nobody does anything dumb and causes repair bills, what would be the minimum number of lvl 70s that could fully clear BWL, and how much gold could be earned and how long would it take?

My income on full BWl (in 40 raid ofc) was around 50g if i recall. Even doubling that, its still not efficent as trivial farming for motes/netherweave/whatever. But probably not that boring.

Women's breasts can be modeled as a cone and measured as V = (Db^2*h*.785)/3 and since breasts can be thought of as an amorphous fluid, you just have to worry about containing the volume of the breast.

#13 Nezralix

Nezralix

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Interesting idea there; give the Master Looter a "split" and a "take" option on the gold pile.

#14 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

My income on full BWl (in 40 raid ofc) was around 50g if i recall. Even doubling that, its still not efficent as trivial farming for motes/netherweave/whatever. But probably not that boring.

Well if the entire run was worth 50g x 40, that's a very decent haul for the guild bank if it can be farmed in say, 2 hours tops by maybe 25 or fewer people.

#15 Apparation

Apparation

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

~2k gold from bosses if only 1 person looted it (iirc going with 40 people I'd come out with a 50g profit or so from bwl, 50x40 = 2k)

#16 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

Good to know, that might actually be a viable way to farm gold rapidly for a guild bank if the values haven't been changed at all.

#17 thingol

thingol

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

If you had the same 20 something people that you were gonna take to clear bwl go grind primals / rep items / whatever for the same amount of time as the BWL would take you will make far more gold just farming.

#18 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

If you had the same 20 something people that you were gonna take to clear bwl go grind primals / rep items / whatever for the same amount of time as the BWL would take you will make far more gold just farming.

Exactly.

The only reason things like BWL ever were a source of money is that they offered comparatively scarce resources. Take that away, and they are a poor gold/hr investment. At best you're just dressing up organized farming with a nicer coat, at the expense of efficiency.

If you took a 25-man TBC raid and told them to go off and farm, pairing up the pure healers with AoE casters for duo farming, and letting the herbalists just pick herbs, and after two hours you had everyone mail all their herbs, primals, greens, etc., to the guild bank to use and/or AH, you'd end up with far, far more gold than a BWL run would yield.

#19 Strifen

Strifen

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

I’ve found that Karazhan has become quite a nice income of gold for the guild bank. We run it on group loot and have two designated looters and that’s whom all the random boe crap goes to. From here it is all sent to the bank and we have all the green boe’s DE’d and the enchanting mats are sold on the AH. This doesn’t sound like it would be that good but running two Karazhan groups and going from start -> Prince in the first day usually nets upwards of 50 green boes and often some nice blue ones that can be sold. Also, the primal mana that drops is a big seller, make sure to have one person loot that and send it all to the bank for selling. We net at least 400g a week for the guild bank based purely on just trash drops in Karazhan. It doesnt beat the days of selling random MC boe's at 500g a pop, but hell, it's enough to keep the titans, stoneshields and mana pots rolling in weekly.

#20 Dinadass

Dinadass

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

One other option to increase money from Karazhan- the chess event chest. You can invite someone after the event is over, and they can zone in and loot the chest. This week, one of our groups had the plate boots drop and didn't need them. We spent 5 minutes in Trade channel trying to sell them, and quite easily found a warrior who paid 1k gold to zone in and loot them.

It's far from guaranteed, and the person has to be kara keyed, but it's definitely an option, especially if you have 2-3 groups that clear Kara weekly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users