• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Avair

Avair

The Howard Roark of Shipwrights

• Members
  • 3909 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

I know this may sound particularly unpopular, but has anybody had experience just using a 'Raiding Tax'. I know just using the word 'taxes' probably conjures all sorts real world rational, and irrational feelings.

But I mean, lets call a spade a spade, raiding requires X gold per week from the raiding population in order to be successful. All the past schemes of raising gold typically involved acquiring and selling materials/drops that only raiding guilds could get their hands on to sell. In absence of those kinds of exclusive services, most organizations/governments tax their members to raise the necessary operating funds.

If you need 1000g/week to raid, why not just have all (25 or so) active raiders pay 40-50g/week in taxes. Then they can chose on their own how they pay that. No need to tax people's time with guild fund raisers, etc. It also has the additional benefit of making the weekly cost very clear to the raiding population, and they can make informed choices about what they want to do.

#22 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10260 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

We run Kara on FFA loot, and all loot (the only exception is gray items) is picked up by a designated looter, and it all goes to the guild bank.

#23 Darke

Darke

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

What is the accepted 'best' class for being an herb farmer? Hunters?

#24 levk

levk

King Hippo

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

Rogues or druids for instance only herbs

#25 Uziel

Uziel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

I think the presence of an epic flying mount pretty much closes the gap between classes farming herbs. Instances however, I'd say Druids and Rogues.

#26 Twid

Twid

WildStar Shill

• Members
  • 1292 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Pretty much. Being able to get to an herb without killing any mobs saves quite a bit of time. Zoom in on an epic flyer, sic your pet on one mob, trap another, pick the herb, dismiss pet, feign death, mount, and you're gone

Get you some purple drank and slow yo roll.

#27 Bryne

Bryne

The Treachery of Forums

•  Patrons
  • 4436 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

As a hunter who just picked up Herbalism, it's sort of annoying that Find Herbs takes the place of any of your normal tracking abilities, but that's just me bitching.

As a couple people said earlier, Soul Essence isn't a huge moneymaker, but it's certainly possible to have one person to funnel all the non-boss drops to in KZ and pick up a few gold anyway. I know we've been pretty set on having people bring their own pots and riding off of the pre-TBC bank funds/having generous herbalists for flask mats. If you run DKP, bonuses for mats is certainly a quick and easy option.

#28 Lurchington

Lurchington

King Hippo

• Allied Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

As a hunter who just picked up Herbalism, it's sort of annoying that Find Herbs takes the place of any of your normal tracking abilities, but that's just me bitching.

As a couple people said earlier, Soul Essence isn't a huge moneymaker, but it's certainly possible to have one person to funnel all the non-boss drops to in KZ and pick up a few gold anyway. I know we've been pretty set on having people bring their own pots and riding off of the pre-TBC bank funds/having generous herbalists for flask mats. If you run DKP, bonuses for mats is certainly a quick and easy option.

not asked for, but an invaluable tool for all hunters and trackers:
http://fizzwidget.co...rackmenu-2-0-1/

cons: I can't move the minimap tracking button at all, but I just kind of got used to it :-(

#29 Foxery

Foxery

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

I hope enchantments which require Void Crystals will help raiders make some more gold, but I see the market for these declining somewhat quickly. The caveat is that non-raiders will have easier access to them via Heroics than they did to Nexus Crystals in the Old World. The market will mostly be limited to PvPers and non-enchanters who either haven't sharded any heroic drops lately, or don't win the Crystals.

Besides, the guild bank needs to keep some for your own members. By the time you are all glowing, that market decline may already be in progress.

Next suggestion.... ?

#30 Tszyu

Tszyu

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

As many others have said, karazhan is where your guild bank will earn its money. The primals manas out of there sell for 20+ gold on my server. I'm usually able to loot 4-8 of these on attunesmen - curator nights, then a few more than that on aran-prince. That's about 300g from primal manas. The greens I pick up and DE since arcane dust sells for 30g a stack. Also, netherweave makes a large amount of cash. Just last week I picked up about 10 stacks on the first night. All of which sell for 6 to 7g a stack. Add all of this up and double it with a second group running. A guild bank should be able to yield about 1000g a week*.

*- on my server. May vary for others.

#31 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

You could also make the argument the group could collect and split the profits among themselves to make people a bit more self sufficient. Realistically a guild bank doesn't matter a ton, if people can provide their own consumables and fund their repairs. Nothing else really matters. There are no non BOP recipes which are very key to have, there are no spells that not everyone can get, and there is very seldom if ever upgrades to pass on to others (mostly due to the lack of BOE items, and well, once its soulbound, it isn't going anywhere anyway.)

Guildbanks mattered and made sense in EQ, I mean my guild sold KEI scrolls and other valuable, rare spells and made a lot of cash, but usually it was other guilds buying from us without the same accessability. That doesn't exist here really, there is little exclusivity, or rather there is nothing to obtain from those places that you could give anyone else anyway. There was also like res sticks we bought, which was rare. Again, this sort of thing doesn't really exist here.

#32 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10260 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

You could also make the argument the group could collect and split the profits among themselves to make people a bit more self sufficient. Realistically a guild bank doesn't matter a ton, if people can provide their own consumables and fund their repairs.

I thought that too at first -- it seemed silly to send every drop to the guild bank in Kara since we never did it in ZG or AQ20, just running on group loot with everyone rolling. However, it's not realistic to expect your tanks to be providing their consumables, especially if they are chain chuggling Ironshields, using lots of elixirs, and so on. Ancient Lichen and the such is quite expensive on most servers.

Also if you dont have a flask recipe in guild (such as fortification, but could be others too), you're really screwed and have to be buying those off the AH too.

#33 Playered

Playered

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4054 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:24 PM

Also if you dont have a flask recipe in guild (such as fortification, but could be others too), you're really screwed and have to be buying those off the AH too.

Embrace the MMO part of WoW and have relations with other guilds, your access to things such as enchants or flasks becomes significantly better at this point, you can even trade "we'll craft <x> flask for free for you all, if you create <y> flask for us for free" etc.

Some people might even have personal friends outside the guild and can pull free crafted flasks that way.

#34 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

I thought that too at first -- it seemed silly to send every drop to the guild bank in Kara since we never did it in ZG or AQ20, just running on group loot with everyone rolling. However, it's not realistic to expect your tanks to be providing their consumables, especially if they are chain chuggling Ironshields, using lots of elixirs, and so on. Ancient Lichen and the such is quite expensive on most servers.

I do it, we don't have a Fortification in guild yet, I have someone out of guild make them for me. While I am not the most efficient Lichen farmer its not that bad - I logout outside of Slave Pens, login for 5-6 minutes, pick 5 times and log back off and do some other stuff. I have someone who sells me primal earth at a noteably cheaper price and right now I have more earth then I will probably use in Ironshields for the next month or so. Of course, thats a matter of finding a supplier but most people will take guaranteed money over potential money. You also need to pick when its relevant to consumable. For example, for the first 3-4 minutes on Gruul he hits for nothing, its not really worth it to use Ironshields then, its not like your healers are even really using mana that early in the fight, so realistically you are probably only using 1-2 on a win. I don't pot on any Karazhan fight besides Nightbane and due to the nerfs, I'll likely use less Ironshields in a week than I have in the past fighting him. I don't have the luxury of a potion master with Ironshield yet in the guild either, just really unlucky drop rates so I can't even count on duplicates. Its just not that bad.

I was fairly annoyed with the consumables but honestly, Terocone for defense is almost as common as Dreaming Glory is, Lichen isn't that bad to get (sometimes I might say, trade a rogue in my guild Terocone for Lichen since they can farm a much larger quantity than I can), Primal Earth is going to be relatively cheap due to mining, and again, even if you can only farm 5 nodes per hour like me, lots of other classes can get a good bit more with other tricks - priests actually herb decently with mind soothe, rogues, hunters, druids, even mages can to a degree. The mana thistle is across the board semi annoying for everyone, but 10 mana thistle isn't that much.

Especially as a MT you should have herbalism, you can't solo for shit anyway, you might as well farm up pots mats or other sellable herbs. The demand for other herbs won't be going down any time soon either, and a stack of pretty much anything sells rather nicely.

#35 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Besides, you can always apply the logic that if the MT can farm their own pots, then you really don't have an excuse to not have your Relentless Assaults and Restoration flasks, either of those is definately cheaper/less of a hassle to make.

#36 aureon

aureon

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

Our guild bank has grown very well over the course of the last month and a half due to inventory problems a lot of people are having. We get tons of netherweave, enchanting mats, herbs and ores because people want to clear out their inventory. The enchanting mats are then sent to the enchanters so our gear is always enchanted for free; most consumables are provided because the amount of herbs sent in plus having an elixir alchemist (amazing tbqh ;] ).

I must dissent from what appears to be the majority in the idea of looting all the bosses gold for the sake of the bank. It's nice to have a fun karazhan raid and come back with a net of 15g for a night. It's not much, but it covers repairs and then due to the above the enchant's are done for free as well.

#37 Vhex

Vhex

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

If you're really hard up for cash and the idea of just having everyone actually farm, you can always sell 5v5 arena slots if you have a team with a 1800+ rating. Kara chess loot as well can be sold. Can probably sell Maulgar/Gruul loot as well.

#38 Dinadass

Dinadass

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

If you're really hard up for cash and the idea of just having everyone actually farm, you can always sell 5v5 arena slots if you have a team with a 1800+ rating. Kara chess loot as well can be sold. Can probably sell Maulgar/Gruul loot as well.

Yeah really any arena slot with a good ranking can be sold, even if its 2v2 or 3v3. I don't know about selling Gruul loot though; 1 clueless person can easily wipe the raid. Maulgar is a bit more forgiving so that's a possibility. We're at the point where every chess loot is going to be sold, we've even posted our rough prices on our realm forum. Hopefully this week we get a couple sales from it.

#39 Sebudai

Sebudai

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 2972 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

If I was trying to sell Gruul loot I'd probably just have the buyer stand in the hallway outside of Gruul's room and kill the mob with 24 people.

#40 vrak

vrak

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

There's a clear lack of high level greens that nuke to Large Prismatic Shards (like BWL greens used to sometimes nuke to large brilliants). I now posses 500+ dust and essences but something like 2 shards, from 4 weeks of double-teaming Karazhan. I've always liked to had out free enchanting mats to raiders but now i have to tell them to go find their own prismatics.

as for consumables cash, i'm guessing that the "uberguilds" clearing current content with gay abandon are running down their pre-TBC coffers? Short of selling 2 epics per week from Chess I don't really see anything particularly lucrative for raid guilds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users