• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27807 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

There's a clear lack of high level greens that nuke to Large Prismatic Shards (like BWL greens used to sometimes nuke to large brilliants). I now posses 500+ dust and essences but something like 2 shards, from 4 weeks of double-teaming Karazhan. I've always liked to had out free enchanting mats to raiders but now i have to tell them to go find their own prismatics.

as for consumables cash, i'm guessing that the "uberguilds" clearing current content with gay abandon are running down their pre-TBC coffers? Short of selling 2 epics per week from Chess I don't really see anything particularly lucrative for raid guilds.

Well, for hardcore players who were among the first to 70, there were a ton of moneymaking opportunities that could fund heavy raiding for a long time to come, even without any kind of guild bank support. We had one of the first jewelcrafters to 375 skill, who bought all the blue gem designs he could when they were cheap, and he made an absolute killing before the market became saturated. Same with people who farmed pre-nerf elemental plateau when there were a handful of 70s, total, on the server, and hoarded it all for later resale. Imagine being an herbalist when you are one of a dozen people on the server with a flying mount.

Personally, I hit 70, ran heroics nonstop, and ended up with 30-something Primal Nethers and nothing to use them on. I picked up some epic weapon plans, and now I'll soon have >4k gold after buying my mount. I don't like consumables, but I can certainly sustain heavy use of them for quite a while to come.

#42 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5560 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, as the first 70 on Ner'zhul, I stocked up thousands of gold worth of primals and managed to get almost every epic LW recipe, which I sell for 250g a pop with nethers. *I* have a ton of gold, and I can sustain my own use of them for a long time, but the rest of my guild isn't all in similar shape. I've been taking donations for tank flasks and resist gear and such, but that's hardly a smooth process, and some people obviously end up paying a lot more than others over time. I'm strongly considering dropping Engineering for herbalism - not even for myself, but so I can support other peoples' consumable needs. I'm not sure if that's sadder commentary about engineering or the state of the raid game, though.

#43 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Unless you have some extremely hard to get recipes for your profession (and you actually get regular use out of them), its pretty much worth it to drop anything for Herbalism. One of the officers of my guild and I had a discussion about it when he was trying to level an alt to herb, when he could just do it on his druid with the 280% mount and he was rather torn up about the thought of dropping skinning. I pointed out pretty much anything skinned even now isn't worth shit and if he had to make anything the cash he could make from herbalism could easily afford anything he needed to buy for LW. I mean, mining is pretty profitable, but herbalism still makes more as a gathering profession, and even if it did not, you'd get consistant use out of the things you picked. Personally I've got my smithing up just buying stuff in the AH rather than mining, and while it is a bit costly to not mine to raise the skill, its hard to beat being able to go out and pick herbs whenever I want to, or even just flying somewhere you'd be surprised at the volume of stuff you can pick up and trade/sell for herbs you or others can use. If its not Ragveil, it can be sold for a reasonable price (or unreasonable price in the case of say Mana Thistle).

Also, as more and more people get into the raiding game and get further down the progression line I expect things like Mana Thistle are going to be perma camped and prices will be very high per stack - they already pretty much are on my server at some locations. Might as well load up while you can.

#44 GoG

GoG

Purple Idiot

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

Unless you have some extremely hard to get recipes for your profession (and you actually get regular use out of them), its pretty much worth it to drop anything for Herbalism. One of the officers of my guild and I had a discussion about it when he was trying to level an alt to herb, when he could just do it on his druid with the 280% mount and he was rather torn up about the thought of dropping skinning. I pointed out pretty much anything skinned even now isn't worth shit and if he had to make anything the cash he could make from herbalism could easily afford anything he needed to buy for LW. I mean, mining is pretty profitable, but herbalism still makes more as a gathering profession, and even if it did not, you'd get consistant use out of the things you picked. Personally I've got my smithing up just buying stuff in the AH rather than mining, and while it is a bit costly to not mine to raise the skill, its hard to beat being able to go out and pick herbs whenever I want to, or even just flying somewhere you'd be surprised at the volume of stuff you can pick up and trade/sell for herbs you or others can use. If its not Ragveil, it can be sold for a reasonable price (or unreasonable price in the case of say Mana Thistle).

Also, as more and more people get into the raiding game and get further down the progression line I expect things like Mana Thistle are going to be perma camped and prices will be very high per stack - they already pretty much are on my server at some locations. Might as well load up while you can.

I would love to see a mod that some how allows both herbs and mining nodes to appear on the map at the same time. Would this sort of thing be feasible?

#45 Zyrxil

Zyrxil

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

Slightly OT, but how fast do you guys go through your Guild Bank gold? I manage my guild's bank, but we never got deep into Naxx, so I have no reference point for whether our funds are low or high (20k).

#46 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27807 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

Slightly OT, but how fast do you guys go through your Guild Bank gold? I manage my guild's bank, but we never got deep into Naxx, so I have no reference point for whether our funds are low or high (20k).

That's a very healthy guild bank at this point I'd say.

We had ~43,000 gold going into Naxx, and virtually no bank to speak of by the end of December. That hurt.

#47 Northerner

Northerner

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

I would love to see a mod that some how allows both herbs and mining nodes to appear on the map at the same time. Would this sort of thing be feasible?

I just use "/castsequence Find Herbs, Find Minerals" in a macro for my hunter and toggle it as I fly along. (He exists to farm primals, pick flowers and mine nodes. If I were slightly less lazy I would level up the rogue in herbalism just for instance picking lichens but I'm not.) I don't know much at all about the API but I can't imagine it being difficult to have that happen regularly with error messages suppressed. Unfortunately, I don't know if you'd want it automated just because the nodes don't always load in time as it is but you get a feel for where they are anyhow.

#48 vrak

vrak

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

Well, for hardcore players who were among the first to 70, there were a ton of moneymaking opportunities that could fund heavy raiding for a long time to come, even without any kind of guild bank support. We had one of the first jewelcrafters to 375 skill, who bought all the blue gem designs he could when they were cheap, and he made an absolute killing before the market became saturated. Same with people who farmed pre-nerf elemental plateau when there were a handful of 70s, total, on the server, and hoarded it all for later resale. Imagine being an herbalist when you are one of a dozen people on the server with a flying mount.

Personally, I hit 70, ran heroics nonstop, and ended up with 30-something Primal Nethers and nothing to use them on. I picked up some epic weapon plans, and now I'll soon have >4k gold after buying my mount. I don't like consumables, but I can certainly sustain heavy use of them for quite a while to come.

That's great for personal wealth/income. I was kind of more talking about raid-generated stuff. I managed an income of 500-1000g/week when running MC/BWL/AQ20/AQ40 with BoE epics, cores etc. A few greens/soulcloth/motes of mana are a far cry off that.

I always liked the almost self-sustaining aspect of 1.x raiding. even when it got crazy with people handing over thousands of gold for a BWL run, you always knew where your next flask of the Titans was coming from. Now we have to fish the damn eels ourselves because Azeroth is like so 2006 :)

#49 Buiden

Buiden

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

TBC Banking is definitely problematic. I've always prided my guild on doing really well with our guild bank and coming up with ways to sustain it. However right now any guild doing gruul and SS have to be in the red right now, assuming the bank finances a good portion of things.. I'm not sure what other guilds finance but we do repairs + potions, and did 800g/person for their flying mounts.

The best advice I can offer is when you find a money market hit is hard and SAVE up as much money as possible. We went into Naxx with 110k gold. By October we were down to 50k... and started to sell T3 gear, making another 50k to bring 100k into the expansion.

It is all about offering something to people on your server that nobody else DOES or CAN. I don't care what it is, if you do that people will pay for it, and sometimes ridiculous amounts. Our guild bank once sold a frostbolt book (AQ20) on the AH for 2,700 gold -- now how silly is that? But it sold because nobody else on the server was selling them at that point and people wanted them pretty damn bad.

Some possible income sources you could try would definitely be Primal nethers, Chess event loot, Tier4 gloves/hat (should be pretty easy to have 1 noob on those fights, prince especially). I think more than likely we'll start offering prince weapons/hats in maybe 3-4 weeks when less and less people need them.

#50 Jantteri

Jantteri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Cartographer shows both mining and herbalism nodes on map and minimap once you have gathered from the said node once. I also use the /castsequence-macro to toggle between find herbs/minerals. Once you've farmed a bit you have about all nodes on Cartographer so it's pretty easy to check both herb and mineral nodes at the same time.

On another note, I used to have 3 level 60 alts with herbalism back when raiding Naxxramas. One at desolace, one camping SM and one at EPL for lotuses. Now I'm leveling just one alt to 70 with herb/mining and buying him an epic flying mount. I'm thinking about leveling my druid from 60 to 70 though, for instances, but I'm not sure I'll do that.

#51 Quigon

Quigon

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

That's a very healthy guild bank at this point I'd say.

We had ~43,000 gold going into Naxx, and virtually no bank to speak of by the end of December. That hurt.

About the same here, 35k to about 8k by the end of naxx - mostly on MC BoE's.

Today we're at about 7k, and don't really intend to raise it... I'm not too fond of taking the 25 man drops to one person for the bank. Selling the chest is a decent idea, but everyone on the server practically can access that.

#52 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Is it wrong of me to feel burning hatred every time I see a Gatherer notification of a guild mate (and friend!) picking a mana thistle/terracone/fel lotus? I know they made sacrifices to pick up herbalism, and I get along with them fine, but every day at some point I'll break down and unload a stream of invective into gchat with my opinions on herbalists. Generally after a trip to the AH for flask mats or flasks. It's not logical or reasoned at all, just flashes of pure irrational hate, probably fueled by envy.

On topic, I don't think we have any guild bank to speak of right now, other than flasks for tanks. We never handed out pots or repair money to the raid, people were always told to farm their own, it's no different now - except even tanks are probably fending for themselves more now than they did before. Quest items like idols/scarabs/desecrated scraps were banked, most other stuff was generally greeded.

#53 Cono

Cono

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Our guild has always been a little shifty on the bank situation. But one of the best systems, if you use a straight up dkp system (dont know how well it would work with zero sum, etc). Is to "price" items for dkp value and have donations per week.

What i do is pretty simple, i say new flasks are worth 5 dkp, 2 repair bots 5dkp, 1 stoneshield 1 dkp, 1 ironshield 2 dkp, 50g per 5dkp etc etc, and i let them have a max of 25dkp turnins per week (so they dont over inflate the hell out of the system). On tuesdays before the raid i go into GB, see what we have and who has donated, and add their dkp. Pretty simple and effective plan to build a GB from scraps.

#54 Dragonlord

Dragonlord

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

What i do is pretty simple, i say new flasks are worth 5 dkp, 2 repair bots 5dkp, 1 stoneshield 1 dkp, 1 ironshield 2 dkp, 50g per 5dkp etc etc, and i let them have a max of 25dkp turnins per week (so they dont over inflate the hell out of the system). On tuesdays before the raid i go into GB, see what we have and who has donated, and add their dkp. Pretty simple and effective plan to build a GB from scraps.

We use a similar system to this, the only gripe I have is that processing the donation to DKP is admin heavy. Does anyone know of a mod that can monitor donations based on set variables, then output for EQDKP or similar? If I can find a one step process I'll be sorted ... :-)

#55 Cono

Cono

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

We use a similar system to this, the only gripe I have is that processing the donation to DKP is admin heavy. Does anyone know of a mod that can monitor donations based on set variables, then output for EQDKP or similar? If I can find a one step process I'll be sorted ... :-)

Yeah, i find it to be very daunting to add a bunch of people each week too. i do individual adjustments for each week per member, so it gets to be a hassle, this would be nice. I COULD write a mod to do this, and will look into it, however i don't think there is anyway to automate individual adjustments. If there is let me know and i will definately get started on a mod for this. great idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users