Photo

Warning for Bashram: 4. Whining in any form is forbidden.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Chicken

Chicken

 

•  Benefactors
  • 3639 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

User: Bashram
Infraction: 4. Whining in any form is forbidden.

Administrative Note:

Message to User:

In case it didn't get across, I really, really dislike Living Bomb-->Frostfire Bolt-->Fireball spam and I want it to die.

That particular sentence of your post really wasn't needed. Your post is otherwise fine though.

Original Post:

RE: Living Bomb-->Frostfire Bolt-->Fireball spam: For such a simple "rotation", wouldn't making Hot Streak more reliable also make it more simple/boring?

In case it didn't get across, I really, really dislike Living Bomb-->Frostfire Bolt-->Fireball spam and I want it to die. Frostfire Bolt's DoT has a nine-second duration, so it will expire one second after Living Bomb does--or, in other words, during the global cooldown incurred by re-casting Living Bomb. I don't like the fact that we just add another button after Living Bomb and then continue spamming. The suggested Scorch change inserts something new into our rotation in a way that more or less eliminates spam. Of course, Scorch with a DoT and Frostfire Bolt could be one of the ugliest things ever. I feel like two active DoTs is a good balance, especially with twelve-second and six-second timers.

As far as the idea that making Hot Streak more reliable would make the rotation more boring, I think you're confusing "reliable" with "predictable." The thing about Hot Streak is that you don't know when it's going to light up. If Hot Streak comes up on average once every fifteen seconds, it's still going to be just as unpredictable as if it would be if it came up on average once every forty-five seconds. I find it more boring if I have to react less frequently to randomness. Certainly, I don't want it coming up every other spell, but I would like to see it more than once every forty-five seconds.

Also, bear in mind that those percentages I listed are the chances to end up triggering Hot Streak after the first DoT crit. A mage with 40% crit isn't going to have a 75% chance of proccing Hot Streak--it's going to be closer to 30%. Likewise, a mage with 30% wouldn't have a 56% chance of proccing Hot Streak, he'd have a 16.8% chance. And a mage with 20% crit would have a 7.2% chance of proccing it. And it's not as though each tick has that chance of instantly proccing it--each tick has that chance of leading to a proc. It would be conceivably possible for the proc to occur sixteen seconds after the first DoT crit. It would also be possible for it to occur four seconds after the first DoT crit. It's still unpredictable, but more likely to happen--especially considering that the current form of Hot Streak would give a mage with 40% crit a 16% chance of proccing it, a mage with 30% crit a 9% chance of proccing it, and a mage with 20% crit a 4% chance of proccing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users