• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 Tizzlewump

Tizzlewump

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

If you want to make some quick gold on launch day, keep a mage in Dalaran.

I expect the portals to vanish in either 4.0.1 or 4.0.3, so it will be old news by the time the level cap gets bumped.

On that note, remember that Cataclysm is deployed in at least 3 stages with money to be made in each. In 4.0.1 we get new talents and mechanics. This is when everyone will need new glyphs, and find out that all glyphs will require 2-3 times as much ink. Vanishing ink will be consumed by the barrel. Arp and hit gems change color. Enchants will change in either effect or value. This patch will get a lot of people playing their old toons. If you plan to make money off of guild achievements, this is presumably the time for that too.

Blizzard promises 4.0.3 to be the event called the Cataclysm, when Azeroth changes. Even without goblins or worgen, all the lowbie content has been redone so people will level alts. This is when the price for lowbie mats will crash, but the market for twink supplies will be lucrative.

Cataclysm proper is announced for December 7th, which is when we return to our mains and the 81+ markets open up.

The only true error is in not learning how to make your second kill better.

#22 ZachPruckowski

ZachPruckowski

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Any thoughts on raw materials from Northrend that might be worth hanging on to instead of dumping now? I'm thinking of the big volume ones, like eternals, herbs, enchanting materials and ore.

Prepare to dump gems, glyphs, inks, and herbs in 4.0.1 - that's when stats and specs change (meaning a lot of regemming), and when the glyph system changes (so everyone has to buy all their glyphs for the last time). I'm thinking I may only hoard some glyphs, and just stick with supplying over-priced inks, but I'm not sure yet. That's probably going to be on the 12th or 19th.

Prepare to dump your older leveling materials after 4.0.3 hits and everyone starts new (non-goblin/worgen) alts with the new class/race combos, or picks up older alts to check out the new quests.

On Dec. 7th, make sure you have materials for any yellow/orange recipes on hand. With the exception of raid patterns, anything you can craft off of dumped materials in the pre-launch glut will be cheaper than recipes with the new materials.

With 310% flying and flight in the Old World, I wouldn't plan on monetizing Old World or even Northrend stuff much past 4.0.3.

#23 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Wowhead lists the high-end leatherworking receipes as orange untill skill level 475, and yellow until 487. Does anyone have an idea if that's gonna stay this way? With 4.0.1, a lot of people will have a lot of justice points they need to spend until 4.0.3 (when the hardcap is enforced), so that might be a chance to gather cheap skillup material.

#24 koaschten

koaschten

In the rear with the gear!

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

You also should keep in mind that the badges-to-gems NPC will disappear and no replacement seems planned.

Honor Jewelcrafter Quartermaster gone in 4.0.1
Apparently, the Jewelcrafter Quartermaster will be removed in 4.0.1. A lot of people have been asking what would be the new price of epic gems with the new honor points, the answer is simple, you can no longer buy them in 4.0.1. The NPC has been recycled as a Weapon Quartermaster.

How to get an Android Authenticator on your PC. (updated feb'11)

http://goo.gl/fackr

#25 Jibini

Jibini

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

You also should keep in mind that the badges-to-gems NPC will disappear and no replacement seems planned.

Judging from the image attached to that piece of news, that seems to apply only to gems currently purchased with 10k honor. That's the NPC that's disappearing.

I haven't seen anything suggesting that they'll no longer be available for purchase with justice points, so there should still be a healthy supply from that.

I also recall seeing something on the mmo-champ forums about the cooldown on the rare to epic gem transmute being removed in 4.0.1, although I don't have a link to that on hand.

#26 Hinalover

Hinalover

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

I also recall seeing something on the mmo-champ forums about the cooldown on the rare to epic gem transmute being removed in 4.0.1, although I don't have a link to that on hand.

That would be in patch 13033 (MMO-Champion - Patch 4.0.1 PTR - Build 13033)

Also Justice Points are still able to be used to buy gems. Red/Yellow/Blue Gems are selling for 218 JP and Orange/Purple/Green Gems are going for 109 JP.

#27 Kissmyaxe

Kissmyaxe

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

This seams to be an appropriate thread to mention that the gold cap has been increased.
Not sure what the new cap is (if there is any) but I got up to 580k gold without any errors.

#28 Cranch

Cranch

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

the current gold cap, (2^31)-1.

Minor correction: the current cap is actually 2^31-2 copper. It looks like Blizzard went to a BCD representation instead of 40 bits.

#29 snowman2050

snowman2050

Franky says Relax!

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationHarrogate, UK

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

A beta-testing guildmate whom I have no reason to disbelieve states that polymorph spell is available on the beta Mage trainers.

Regarding Tome of Polymorph Turtle, can the above statement please be confirmed?

No Longer playing WoW - But feel free to find and join me over at http://www.talkgeek.net/

US & EU gaming community.

//Niknaks

#30 songster

songster

Chief Passenger

• Members
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

I didn't see it on the trainers when I rolled a new mage on the beta server to check.

#31 Doktre

Doktre

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

Quick Auctions 3 is dead but there are two addons which continue to develop its functionality (albeit under new names per the request of QA3's author).

ZeroAuctions

AuctionProfitMaster

For the time being, one-click mass posting is blocked by Blizz, but these two seem to be the most effective solution.

#32 Fabinas

Fabinas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Both of them have the same problem. They are using for their search and undercut function the item ID, instead of the item name. That causes problems with gems which were cut before the patch and gems cut after it, since they may share the same name, but have different item ID numbers (example: Balanced Dreadstone turned to Shifting Dreadstone, but the former Balanced has now a different item ID than the Shifting Dreadstone). THe use of ID number may cause incorrect undercutting or not undercutting at all.

#33 Skulli

Skulli

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

With 4.0.1 the new gold cap also applies to the guild bank which might be not intended since it was possible to have more gold than that before the patch.

#34 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Fairly certain the new gold cap is 1 copper short of 1 million. Pretty easily tested on the PTR (just copy over 1 gold-capped character all 5 times)

JMTC Wow Gold Forum • View topic - ****UPDATE**** Gold cap is now 999999g99s99c on 4.0.1 PTR

#35 Griefpb

Griefpb

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Regarding Tome of Polymorph Turtle, can the above statement please be confirmed?

They stated it will be available from other places

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Mounts and Items Removed in 4.0.3

What those other places are is anyones guess at this point

#36 Archaleus

Archaleus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

There was a blue post confirming this, so much for the ones I had banked. The vanity pet (the raptor) will be going away, so if you can bank a couple of those that should yield big numbers down the road.
Rulers make the rules

#37 Smaug

Smaug

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

One good tip to make gold within the first month(s) of cata will be selling lowlevel Herbs on Horde Side.
A lot of people will start a Goblin char.
Goblins get +15 to Alchemy, thus a majority will chose alch/x where x will most of the time be herbalism. Lowlevel Herbs will sell very good during the first months of cata.

So start stacking them up now while they are cheap.

#38 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

So you think lowbie herb prices are going to go up due to a ton of people rolling herb/alch alts? You may want to reconsider your assumptions.
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#39 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

So you think lowbie herb prices are going to go up due to a ton of people rolling herb/alch alts? You may want to reconsider your assumptions.

Wait, you mean you don't get herbalism skillups when you buy the herbs at the AH?!?

#40 lazorbeam

lazorbeam

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

There was a blue post confirming this, so much for the ones I had banked. The vanity pet (the raptor) will be going away, so if you can bank a couple of those that should yield big numbers down the road.

Not so fast. Blizzard said the tome will be available through other means, not the spell. I could see blizzard making the tome purchasable like tome of polymorph: black cat. More on this here.

One good tip to make gold within the first month(s) of cata will be selling lowlevel Herbs on Horde Side.
A lot of people will start a Goblin char.
Goblins get +15 to Alchemy, thus a majority will chose alch/x where x will most of the time be herbalism. Lowlevel Herbs will sell very good during the first months of cata.

So start stacking them up now while they are cheap.

All sub-60 raw materials are a gamble. Remember, lowbies will be able to log onto their herbalist alts and fly around at 310% to farm the herbs themselves if they need to. Same applies for all ores and herbs. Outland and WotLK ores/herbs is where you should invest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users