• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 Mano

Mano

King Hippo

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

All sub-60 raw materials are a gamble. Remember, lowbies will be able to log onto their herbalist alts and fly around at 310% to farm the herbs themselves if they need to. Same applies for all ores and herbs. Outland and WotLK ores/herbs is where you should invest.

In my opinion, people who will fly around on their mains to get materials for their new alts are not your customers, and never were except for 1-2 exceptions. These people don't value their time highly (because earning at higher levels is almost always higher than at lower levels).
And why should Outland / Northrend be better? According to the logic, they can already go gather stuff from there NOW.

In effect, customers for low-level/profession leveling materials are people who want something NOW and don't care too much about the price because they sit on 50k gold anyway. These people don't want to fly around for some hours just to level their newest char's profession when they could just plop down 500g to get the same materials directly.

#42 Malleus

Malleus

King Hippo

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

In effect, customers for low-level/profession leveling materials are people who want something NOW and don't care too much about the price because they sit on 50k gold anyway. These people don't want to fly around for some hours just to level their newest char's profession when they could just plop down 500g to get the same materials directly.

No, but if they are levelling Herbalism as well as Alchemy they're not going to drop 500g to buy what they're already getting for free. Which is the point.

The fact is that low-level and high-level mats are never the real money-makers - the premium prices always go to the mid-level mats. If I want 10 stacks of Peacebloom or Copper, I ride straight out the gate of Stormwind City and farm Elwynn for an hour or two. If I want 10 stacks of Cobalt I circle the Fjord. If I want 10 stacks of Thorium or Icecap, though, I have to trek out to the boonies and be prepared for work.

#43 Zujamar

Zujamar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

And why should Outland / Northrend be better? According to the logic, they can already go gather stuff from there NOW.

Very few people are organized to the extent that they're currently hoarding stuff, let alone profession mats, for their potential goblin/worgen. And when you add in the coming removal of portals in Dalaran and Shattrath, it becomes very tedious to actually get to these places, as opposed to flying 2 minutes from your favorite AH location to grab the 1-60 stuff. Note that this applies to sellers as well, so if you try to control the market, it takes the same 2 minutes for the profit-makers to start boosting supply once they see the big prices.

#44 Smaug

Smaug

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

Well,

First: Not everyone will pick Herbalism along with Alchemy (which 90% will pick at least). Those people will buy herbs from the AH.
Second: Not everyone will consequently go gather all the herbs they need for the skill up. Some will forget about it and then notice later that they need to level their professions, etc. Or they just need to buy the missing Herbs as requirements on certain flowers is high to level Alch.
Third: By lowlevel Herbs I dont mean just Peacebloom. I am talking about Golden Sansam, Sungrass, Blindweed, etc. Those are needed in large quantities to level up Alchemy and cost from 30-80g a stack on my server at the moment and can easily sell for 200g a stack when the expansion is released.

Of course you are not restrictet to old world Herbs. Outland and maybe even WotlK Herbs will sell over their current price as well.

I don't think this is a normal sub60 material gamble. The demand WILL BE there, no matter how you look at it.

#45 mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

I don't think this is a normal sub60 material gamble. The demand WILL BE there, no matter how you look at it.

True, but do not expect it to be like previous expansions. The original continents will now be flyable zones. This will make it very easy for the gathering bots to operate in these areas. This means you have a much smaller window of opportunity for selling herbs before the high prices are noticed and the bots come online and supply that market.

#46 lazorbeam

lazorbeam

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Not to mention that herbs and ore nodes now give experience. Lowbies will thus be more inclined to hit these nodes.

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say in the rest of your post, I don't see where you got the whole "customer" idea. Anyway, I'll try and illustrate why I think BC/WotLK materials are a safer investment.

Essentially, the farming potential for old-world materials will become MUCH higher in Cataclysm. Mithril and Thorium are expensive (2-3g each) because they're a pain in the arse to farm. This won't be the case in Cataclysm.

There will be NO change in the farming potential for Fel Iron/Adamantite/Cobalt/Saronite. Only a huge shortage of supply, and countless hungry goblin/worgen customers. Saronite already sells at near-vendor prices (and below vendor price, if you're lucky). Do you really think saronite will hold at its current levels? Look at what happened every single expansion - top-level ores become more valuable with recurring expansions. Inflation plays a large role here as well.

Low-level materials may very well spike during the first few weeks of the expansion. But with high-level ores, particularly Saronite, you're guaranteed a good return on investment in the long run. This is why I've stockpiled 20,000 Saronite Ore.

#47 Misis

Misis

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I already see it on my server where a stack of Mageroyal has shot up to 55g per stack whereas, last week it was 7g per stack. People are starting to gather what they will need now and some have already started levelling professions in advance (or picking new ones)

#48 s4dfish

s4dfish

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 6055 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

I already see it on my server where a stack of Mageroyal has shot up to 55g per stack whereas, last week it was 7g per stack. People are starting to gather what they will need now and some have already started levelling professions in advance (or picking new ones)

A lot of that has more to do with the current glyph market than stocking up for Cat.
Skyl - Desprecia - Tororo -Pururu

Whenever I dislike my job, I think of you.

#49 Glayde

Glayde

King Hippo

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

A lot of that has more to do with the current glyph market than stocking up for Cat.

The only way that makes sense is if icethorn and adder's tongue are also 55g a stack.

#50 dustdog

dustdog

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

Are you able to still break bijou's in Cataclysm for reputation (and is there still a place to break them), or do they turn grey? Wowhead's cata section still lists them as rare so I'm not sure what to think, I'm drowning in them and coins and the current market for them has nearly died after the initial panic.

#51 Guest_Amadisthemage_*

Guest_Amadisthemage_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

The only way that makes sense is if icethorn and adder's tongue are also 55g a stack.

Unfortunately, this is the case still on a lot of servers. Some of the larger servers have seen the high Northrend herb prices come down in the 25-35g/stack range, but others are still up at 50g+ a stack (generally the smaller servers with less farmers).

Add to it that people are hoarding for as many skillups that they can get come Cata, and well, there you have it.

On my server, Icethorn/Adder's is hanging in the 28g+ range....Couple times a week undercutters will get it down to 20-22 for a few stacks, but those are quickly bought up.

Glyphs are still selling well on the larger servers, and the scribes that didn't stock up with multiple stacks of each glyph pre-4.0.1 patch, are now scrambling to buy herbs to mill for inks (and it takes 3 inks to make all glyphs right now, save 1).

#52 beatific

beatific

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

With the announcement that the insane feat of strength may be unachievable in cataclysm the prices for things like DM librams, pristine black diamonds, darkmoon faire cards are already starting to go through the roof.
Light, in the absence of eyes, illuminates nothing.

#53 boomix

boomix

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

Regarding Tome of Polymorph Turtle, can the above statement please be confirmed?

I am finally in beta and I cannot locate this spell on trainers. If these "other means" Blizzard is mentioning are not available at launch of Cataclysm than early on it will be worth a bundle. This is one of the items I am keeping my eye on.
Last night was pessimistic skydive in a foolish narcotic shell

#54 Guest_Aezoc_*

Guest_Aezoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

With the announcement that the insane feat of strength may be unachievable in cataclysm the prices for things like DM librams, pristine black diamonds, darkmoon faire cards are already starting to go through the roof.

I wouldn't expect DMF cards to go up, since Shen'dralar is the only reputation confirmed to be unobtainable after the shattering. I've seen a huge spike in the prices of librams and PBDs, but I feel that it's an extremely risky market to try and get into. Best case, any unsold inventory becomes vendor trash when 4.0.3a hits. Realistically, your inventory probably becomes worthless a lot sooner because the number of people actually attempting Insane in the Membrane at this point is going to be quite small. Anyone casually attempting it has probably already given up and unloaded their stockpile of materials once it was announced that they had a maximum of six weeks to complete the Shen'dralar portion, and there's no good way to estimate how many remaining customers you actually have.

If you're lucky, you may be able to charge some obscene prices right before 4.0.3a hits, because almost any price is better than failing that FoS after the gold and time investment it takes. Nevertheless, trying to snatch up Insane materials to resell is not what I'd consider a good strategy.

#55 Guest_Amadisthemage_*

Guest_Amadisthemage_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

I am finally in beta and I cannot locate this spell on trainers. If these "other means" Blizzard is mentioning are not available at launch of Cataclysm than early on it will be worth a bundle. This is one of the items I am keeping my eye on.

I disagree. before Blizz announced that it would be available "by other means", the prices were high.

You can get them for 500g (or less!) on my server.

I don't foresee the prices skyrocketing, much less selling, for any new "twink" mages coming around.

And those that are completists, and intending to make Dwarf mages, Goblin mages, etc, already picked up their copies a while ago, or farmed it up themselves since it's easy to get.

Now, something to get cheap, and hold on to, the Razzashi Hatchling - vanity pets are always sellers - if you look to the very long term market, picking some of these up now, and sitting on them a long while, you'll get a good rate of return. But all depends on the prices on your server.

#56 lazorbeam

lazorbeam

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I disagree. before Blizz announced that it would be available "by other means", the prices were high.

You can get them for 500g (or less!) on my server.

I don't foresee the prices skyrocketing, much less selling, for any new "twink" mages coming around.

And those that are completists, and intending to make Dwarf mages, Goblin mages, etc, already picked up their copies a while ago, or farmed it up themselves since it's easy to get.

Now, something to get cheap, and hold on to, the Razzashi Hatchling - vanity pets are always sellers - if you look to the very long term market, picking some of these up now, and sitting on them a long while, you'll get a good rate of return. But all depends on the prices on your server.

I disagree. The tomes are cheap now because of blizzard's announcement. The tome itself will be available through other means - not the spell. This means there is a high probability that the item will be dropped or sold by an NPC (think tome of polymorph: black cat). Of course, blizzard may make this a very common drop, in which case the tome would become nearly worthless.

The tomes always sold for 1-2k before blizzard's announcement. If they retain similarly accessible in Cata, expect prices to rise or at least hold even.

That being said, I'm still buying at 700g and under.

#57 Seref

Seref

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

The tomes always sold for 1-2k before blizzard's announcement. If they retain similarly accessible in Cata, expect prices to rise or at least hold even.

That being said, I'm still buying at 700g and under.

On my server tomes used to sell ~200g, and skyrocketed to 2k+ when Blizz announced the removal of ZG. But now that they stated there will be "means" of acquiring it, the prices are down to 200-500g. At this point it can go either way in Cata; Rarer then it was in ZG (more expensive), easier to get than ZG (cheap/trash.)

As for the Razzashi, I've seen them on AH for 15k-35k. I have not idea how much it'll be worth once it becomes "extinct."

#58 Griefpb

Griefpb

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

I have seen good success farming up and selling enchants on the auction house. Mongoose and the boa enchants, spellpower, agility, crusader, etc, have been selling really well,

While you are doing these old world dungeons and raids for mounts or other items, I've been having an enchanter just sit in group with me, they don't have to be in the same area as you. Pair it with something like farming for Thunderfury, Anzu, or Zulian Tiger, that way you have a chance to get something cool and make a lot of money at the same time.

#59 Gossipgurl

Gossipgurl

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

I buy every Tome I see under 500g, even now I am seeing a profit as I can regularly buy them at about 400g and resell at about 700, still have about 20 saved though that i'm gonna sit on. Only time will tell I guess.

#60 Smaug

Smaug

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

If you have a large amount of Dark moon cards or decks, this might also be the time to sell them at above average prices.
After the current darkmoon farie ends there will only be 2-3 days of DMF before Cataclysm (right before the addon) and everyone who wants the Insane in the Membrane Achievement will have to turn in tons of cards/decks these 2 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users