• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Daler

Daler

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1216 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

Theck has already posted his current Cataclysm Matlab breakdowns over at Maintankadin. While more input is always better, it's fairly safe to say that his work is at the very minimum an excellent jumping-off point.

Maintankadin • View topic - Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

That's definitely a good starting point for single-target tanking. Two things I see missing are a discussion of AoE tanking in general, and the threat component of WoG. While it'd be nice to be able to say replace CS with HotR and ShoR with Inq and call it a day, AoE tanking's simply not been addressed yet.

If the protection thread is to be believed, the threat from WoG is nothing to scoff at for AoE tanking, especially at 80 while we're still sans Inquisition.

#22 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Is 1 intellect still providing 15 mana?

I am currently in the process of writing a draft Holy page but cannot find anything on this detail...

1 Int = 10 mana for 4.0.1 (I tested it on the PTR).

For new authors that wish to see how to format threads nicely, you can see my thread here:
http://elitistjerks....mpendium_3_3_a/
and then click the quote button to see the code.

Many mechanics have changed so that post isn't the best starting ground, but it is nice for what topics you can cover.

#23 Shldnhearth

Shldnhearth

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:10 AM

I really like the new Divine Protection (no forbearance + much shorter cd + extra magic damage reduction via the major glyph). Am I wrong in thinking that all the damage transfered to us via Hand of Sacrifice is magic? It means that you should have a Divine Protection ready to pop on every Hand of Sacrifice you cast (which itself has a shorter cd now too). Besides being very useful for holy paladins, this is something that ret paladins can now use as an external cooldown on their tanks, as it will no longer mess with their wings or bubbles should they need them.

#24 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:06 AM

Am I wrong in thinking that all the damage transfered to us via Hand of Sacrifice is magic?

HoS was the type of damage that was transferred from the target (i.e. it depends). You can use as a tank cooldown as Ret, but I that is only 20 physical/40 magic damage taken off, so you may need a heal ready if you want to use it.

#25 CrazyScot

CrazyScot

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

If anyone is willing to do some Holy Paladin testing (prior to me having the patch downloaded).

I am interested in testing to find out if the out of combat regen model follows the long known formula for OO5SR regen used by priests and druids. I will hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning be able to get online to check it myself but it all depends on my connection.

Edit: If this is the same I may need someone to do some testing on the Beta to find out the base regen value in order to update the holy thread (should I be writing it) to the level 85 spirit based in combat regen forumla.

#26 Genox

Genox

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

2 cents -

BiS lists are very nice - but I have always found "ranked lists" ( however subjective and argued over ) to be more useful.
If nothing else - having one page to go to that has links readily available ...

Very nice ...

The "bucketed" BiS lists that I see in Ret are pretty nice as well ( heroic 25's / non-heroic 25's / heroic 10s / etc )

I made a pally tank just this past year as an alt to play and was always looking for a list to see what I should be working towards and picking up along the way

I agree with Aslice that a ranked list is very helpful. For reference, my main is a Shadow Priest and I have always found this particular BiS list at shadowpriest.com to be very helpful. (Obviously, this list hasn't been updated for 4.0 stats yet).

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far!

#27 CrazyScot

CrazyScot

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

I am in the process of finishing the first draft of the Holy Paladin thread. It should be up in the next 48 hours (if I stop re-reading and adding more detail)

#28 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9107 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

We're approaching the End of Days here. Shortly before the Cataclysm launch, I intended to close the Cataclysm discussion threads and reboot the Simple Questions/Simple Answer thread. It will be up to Exemplar and Emptyrepublic whether they'd prefer to continue their existing compendium threads for Ret/Prot or start new ones for 85. Finally, we're still short an author for a new Holy compendium. Anyone interested?
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#29 DeluksZ

DeluksZ

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi there. I'm just curious if there will be a thread dedicated to soloing build/glyphs/tips/methods, ect or is it not important enough to make a new thread about it?

#30 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9107 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

No, there won't be a thread on soloing or leveling. There's no sense min-maxing for trivial content.
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#31 Tharia

Tharia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

To be fair, there is a thread about soloing stuff for hunters. Although I think there is not that much to discuss for paladins, soloing content as a paladin is usually way more straight forward than for hunters.

#32 DeluksZ

DeluksZ

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Just what I thought. And to be honest I mostly agree, although the soloing tactics can be a topic of discussion. The build or the glyphs are fairly simple and easy to answer r if not there is not much to choose from, but some soloing mechanics can be tricky or hard. Anyway, thanks for the fast answer.

#33 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9107 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

Closing the Cataclysm threads now. Huge thanks to everyone who's contributed testing and feedback during Beta, and particular thanks to Exemplar and Emptyrepublic for compiling and updating that information into the new Compendiums.

I'm going to leave this thread open for a week or so in case anyone has any questions or feedback about the Cataclysm direction of the forum.
MTG Online draft viewer

#34 emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

International Technocrat

•  Patrons
  • 7664 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Out of curiosity are the old threads being trashed or transfered into some archive? Wonder if I need to edit my quotes so the redirects don't go into a dark pit.

#35 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9107 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

They're staying where they are. I'm just trying to avoid confusing thread necros down the road.
MTG Online draft viewer

#36 Nodrak

Nodrak

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

I am in the process of compiling and formatting a new Holy thread and hope to have it ready soon.

Edit: The latest change to LoD is going to make me have to redo a decent portion of the post, would it be beneficial to post it incomplete and finish it up later, so that we have a place for discussion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users