• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Pane

Pane

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

I often hear people lament when confronted with their (so-so) dps after a raid that 'those meters are inaccurate'. So I made it my mission to have the best dmg meter out there to catch out the slackers ;-)

So what is the accepted 'gold-standard' dps meter? I use Recap atm, but is there something better/more accurate?

#2 Maestroquark

Maestroquark

What Would You Have Me Do?

• Members
  • 3818 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

Any meter is only as accurate as the combat log range of the players involved in making it. If everyone is in range, it's accurate. The two ways to make sure this is true is to either expand your combat log range, or sync with multiple people running the same mod to make sure the entire group is covered within the existing range.

SW_Stats and DamageMeters sync.

Personally, I use the extended combat range and a self-modified version of SW_Stats that doesn't sync (my Timeline preferences are different from most people I run with).

Either run these inside the game:
/console SET CombatLogRangeParty "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeCreature "150"

Or modify your config.wtf for those options (I forget the exact syntax right now).

#3 Pane

Pane

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:01 PM

awesome great :)

#4 Aranan

Aranan

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

My config.wtf file has this in it:

SET CombatLogRangeParty "200"
SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "200"
SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "200"
SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "200"
SET CombatLogRangeCreature "200"
SET CombatDeathLogRange "200"
SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "200"
SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "200"

I'm currently using Recap. I like the way I can get a basic summary of damage dealt/taken/healed, and if I want to I can get intricate details like how much of Rogue#2's damage was from his poisons, how often my chain lightning was resisted, etc.

#5 boomix

boomix

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

I use MinnaStats:
http://ui.worldofwar.../ui.php?id=3500

I'll give this one a try tonight. I've tried DMs, Recap and in the end stuck with SW_stats.
Last night was pessimistic skydive in a foolish narcotic shell

#6 j0ntar

j0ntar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hawsky's Recap also now comes with synch options.

http://www-en.curse-...7/recap-hawksy/

I have yet to test the synch (no one else seems to like recap in my guild) however with the above combat radius settings it will match DMG Meter's synched at the end of the night.

#7 Sh@ft

Sh@ft

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

Sw-Stats was updated to 2.0.3 a couple of days ago.

http://forums.sw-sta...topic.php?t=303

#8 Renaldo

Renaldo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

If you're looking to catch slackers, it doesn't really matter what damage meter you use. Either way, the players with the lowest damage/healing done are the slackers.

#9 RK

RK

Such a Cassandra

• Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:12 AM

Provided you set combat log range to the max, the only valid excuses for "your DMs are inaccurate" have to do with the inclusion of pet damage and totem damage. All of them are accurate otherwise and it's just a matter of which you prefer for reporting methods, memory usage and which extra stats they track.

"Pet damage" bugs also includes warlocks enslaving somethign and then being awarded all the damage one by mobs of that name, enslaved or no (took me a moment to track that one down when one of our warlocks ZOOMED up in Kara on the weekend... worked out it was due to enslaving dreadbeasts in the cellar and being awarded all damage done by all dreadbeasts). Getting 60k from a trash fight where the next highest is getting about 20k, multiply that by 5 or 6 packs of demon hounds...

I'm personally using MinnaStats at the moment, which Alcaras linked above, but then I'm a dog person so a DM with a pciture of a dog appeals to me :)

#10 Teenee

Teenee

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

I always enjoyed that DamageMeter used the new built-in raid/party channel for sync'ing. At the times the raid/party (and guild) channels were implemented I was using SW_Stats (since I liked it better), and I'm curious if SW_Stats has since gone over to the built in channels? I never ever want to run a mod that has to use actual chat-channels.

I do like DMs ability to track individual spells for my use. I don't think I ever found that feature in SW. Though I wish DM would seperate crits and hits, instead of just 1 "average".

#11 boomix

boomix

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

SW_Stats has bug where if you do not reset it displays your DPS as cumulative of the whole. If you need to see the dps you and others do and no I am not talking about amount of damage, but actual DPS you need to reset the mod quite frequently. It also counted damage done to my char from few netherstorm mobs as my own damage. These were netherray (67) and mana wraiths.
Last night was pessimistic skydive in a foolish narcotic shell

#12 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18079 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

I always enjoyed that DamageMeter used the new built-in raid/party channel for sync'ing. At the times the raid/party (and guild) channels were implemented I was using SW_Stats (since I liked it better), and I'm curious if SW_Stats has since gone over to the built in channels? I never ever want to run a mod that has to use actual chat-channels.

I do like DMs ability to track individual spells for my use. I don't think I ever found that feature in SW. Though I wish DM would seperate crits and hits, instead of just 1 "average".

SW definitely uses the addon communication function. I believe that it also does individual spells. I think 2.0.3 is the latest, it's at least worth playing with.
See you, auntie.

#13 Valoran

Valoran

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

Any meter is only as accurate as the combat log range of the players involved in making it. If everyone is in range, it's accurate. The two ways to make sure this is true is to either expand your combat log range, or sync with multiple people running the same mod to make sure the entire group is covered within the existing range.

This is only partially true. Some meters parse and record data incorrectly for other players.

For example, SW_stats still has issues with hunter pets (pets in general, really) and hunter autoshots, counting a hunters damage as Munter did x damage and Munter' s Autoshot did y damage, rather than adding the two. This is just one of many examples of parsing mistakes.

Generally such mods are better at counting your own damage without error so the only way to ensure 100% accurate stats would be to have everyone in the raid run a mod capable of syncing.

Alternatively (I don't have any links to this at present, sorry) you can take the combat logs themselves and parse them outside of wow. I did come across a parser which did this and broke various statistics down in a very similar manner to recap. The basic idea was that 5 or so people sent their combat logs to one person for parsing, the script did its job and that raid would be posted publically for people to poke at.

It all depends just how accurate you want to get. Generally (with the possible exceptions of hunters, who seem to break most addons) any meter will show slacking.

#14 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Alternatively (I don't have any links to this at present, sorry) you can take the combat logs themselves and parse them outside of wow. I did come across a parser which did this and broke various statistics down in a very similar manner to recap. The basic idea was that 5 or so people sent their combat logs to one person for parsing, the script did its job and that raid would be posted publically for people to poke at.

WoW Web Stats

Stopped Playing

#15 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1990 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

I'm considering switching over to WWS, but I'm curious-- how well does the timelining function on it work? Can you log the whole night and pull out specific attempts after parsing? Or do you need to /combatlog, fight, /combatlog, rename/move the file, /combatlog again, fight again, etc?

#16 Valoran

Valoran

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'm considering switching over to WWS, but I'm curious-- how well does the timelining function on it work? Can you log the whole night and pull out specific attempts after parsing? Or do you need to /combatlog, fight, /combatlog, rename/move the file, /combatlog again, fight again, etc?

From my experience with WWS, yes, that's basically what you need to do. Although, my last experience was version 1.3a, there have probably been leaps and bounds made since.

#17 Suesse

Suesse

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

For example, SW_stats still has issues with hunter pets (pets in general, really) and hunter autoshots, counting a hunters damage as Munter did x damage and Munter' s Autoshot did y damage, rather than adding the two. This is just one of many examples of parsing mistakes.

I believe that bug was fixed months ago. Perhaps someone in your raid/party is still using the old version, contaminating your data.

#18 lossendil

lossendil

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hi, I'm currently developing the server version of WWS, that allows to split the combatlog, either manually, or automatically. Here are some examples : hover on the Split menu at the top for automatic splitting or go to the timeline for manual splitting :

http://www.lossendil...t=6nzghpjpwpfxk
http://www.lossendil...t=f4farjfxbphd1
http://www.lossendil...t=hob4xxk21em4g

There are also some new features. For example, the "death replay", that allow to view the 30 seconds of the log before a player death with only his actions or damage taken.

http://www.lossendil...em4g&a=28&dth=1

#19 djor

djor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

There are also some new features. For example, the "death replay", that allow to view the 30 seconds of the log before a player death with only his actions or damage taken.

I'd kill for an addon that would let me do this ingame. I even tried writing one that would let me pick out specific events and pcs/npcs and display the combatlog for them - that did not end well.

#20 Chicken

Chicken

 

• Moderators
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

"Pet damage" bugs also includes warlocks enslaving somethign and then being awarded all the damage one by mobs of that name

I can remember the same happening with Mind Control during one ZG run in which I was, uh, checking out mob abilities. It ended with pretty much all MCable mobs getting their damage and healing attributed to my Priest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users