88 replies to this topic

#1 Thazzdingo

Thazzdingo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Introduction

This thread shall contain generic Mage issues and information which affects, or is relevant to, all three Mage specs. If you're looking for discussion on topics such as talent trees or rotations, see the spec specific threads in this forum instead.
Although most things I wanted to cover in this thread are added by now, I always appreciate suggestions you can offer regarding what should be added, and will endeavour to update them into my post.

Useful Links

Talent Calculator
Fire Mage Discussion
Frost Mage Discussion
Arcane Mage Discussion
Simulators and Formulators Discussion
Cataclysm Changes (and more!)

Pros and Cons of the different Specs

Arcane
+ Highest Single Target Damage
+ High Burst Damage
+ 3% Dmg Buff
o AoE
- mobility

Fire
+ Medium Single Target DPS
+ Great mobility due to Firestarter
+ Many AoE capabilities, "AoE burst" with Combustion
+ Good survivability (Cauterize, Molten Shields)
+ 5% Crit Debuff

Frost
+ Quite high Single Target DPS
+ AoE Snares (Freeze, talented Blizzard, 2x Ring of Frost)
+ High survivability (Ice Barrier)
+ Replenishment
o Some mobility because of instants in the usual rotation

Combat Ratings

[table=head]Rating|Level 60|Level 70|Level 80|Level 81|Level 82|Level 83|Level 84|Level 85
Spell Hit|8|12.6154|26.232|34.4448|45.2318|59.4204|78.0218|102.446
Crit|14|22.0769|45.906|60.2784|79.1556|103.986|136.53799|179.28
Haste|10|15.7692|32.79|43.056|56.5397|74.2755|97.5272|128.05701
Mastery|14|22.0769|45.906|60.2784|79.1556|103.986|136.53799|179.28
Resilience|21.5625|34.0024|70.7034|92.8395|121.914|160.15601|210.293|276.12299[/table]
At level 85, you will need 648.91 Int to gain 1% crit.

Hit Required @ Lvl 85 in T11 content:
[table=head]Level Difference|Hit Cap %|Required Hit Rating
0|4%|410
+1|5%|512
+2|6%|615
+3 (skull level boss)|17%|1742[/table]
(Required Hit Rating in 4.2 does not change.)

Water Elemental scaling:
[table=head]Health / Mana|Spell Power|Hit / Crit / Haste|Crit Dmg Multiplier
50%|40%|100%|200%[/table]
According to blue posts, it will also benefit from mastery "in some way".

Spell Coefficients

The spell coefficient table is outdated. Until I can find new numbers somewhere, i will put the table into spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Raidbuffs

[table]Buffs|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|Posted Image|other
5% Stats|x|||||||||Kings
828 mp5||x|||||||x|Might
5% Crit|||||||||x|Rampage, Leader of the Pack, Honor Among Thieves
Replenishment||||x|||x|x||Communion, Revitalize
3% Damage|||||x|||||Communion, Ferocious Inspiration
5401 Mana||x|||x|x|x
5% Spell Haste|x|||||||x|x
10% Spell Power|||x||||||x
only 6% Spell Power|||x||x|x|x||x|Flametongue Totem
30% Haste / 40 sec|||||x|x|x||x
|
Debuffs|
5% Spell Crit Chance Taken||x|x|x||x
8% Spell Damage Taken|x|x|x|x||||||Ebon Plaguebringer, Master Poisoner
-20% Attack Speed||||||||||Thunder Clap, Frost Fever, Infected Wounds, Judgements of the Just
[/table]

Consumables

Flask: 300 Int for 1 hour
Potion: 1200 SP for 25 sec
Food: 90 Int & 90 Stamina

Because Guardian Elixiers are not available for casters, Combat Elixiers (+225 of a secondary Stat) are not competitive. Regarding food there is of course a new Fish Feast (limited to guild achievment), a single player version with the same buff and the usual Int food.

Gear

For a full list of non-raid gear focused on heroic instances, have a look at this post.

Itemlevels

[table=head]Item Level|Source
279|Blackrock Caverns, Throne of the Tides
316|The Stonecore, Vortex Pinnacle
333|Grim Batol, Halls of Origination, Lost City of the Tol'Vir, Honored Reputation Rewards
346|Heroic Instances, Revered Reputation Rewards
353|Troll Instances
359|T11 Raids, Craftable Items, Exalted Reputation Rewards
372|Heroic T11 Raids
378|T12 Raids, Avengers of Hyjal Reputation Rewards - Friendly & Revered, Craftable Items
379|Sinestra
384|Ragnaros?
391|Heroic T12 Raids, Avengers of Hyjal Reputation Rewards - Exalted
397|Heroic Ragnaros?
404|Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest
[/table]

Patch 4.1

Reputation Rewards

[table=head]Faction|Honored (333)|Revered (346)|Exalted (359)
Hellscream's Reach / Baradin's Wardens|[Baradin Footman's Tags]|[Insidious Staff]|[Stump of Time]
Guardians of Hyjal|-|(head enchant)|-
Ramkahen|-|[Robes of Orsis]|[Desert Walker Sandals]
The Earthen Ring|[Helm of Temperance]|[Cloak of Ancient Wisdom]|[Flamebloom Gloves]
Therazane|(rare shoulders enchant)|[Diamant's Ring of Temperance]|(epic shoulders enchant)
Dragonmaw Clan / Wildhammer Clan|[Gloves of Aetherial Rumors]|[Band of Singing Grass]|[Lightning Flash Pendant]
[/table]

Crafted BoE Items (+Darkmoon Faire Trinket)

[table=head]Item (359)|Source|Item (346)|Source
[Dreamless Belt]|Tailoring|[Elementium Spellblade]|Blacksmithing
[Breeches of Mended Nightmares]|Tailoring|[Eye of Many Deaths]|Jewelcrafting
[Flame-Ascended Pantaloons]|Tailoring|[Ring of Warring Elements]|Jewelcrafting
[Darkmoon Card: Volcano]|Darkmoon Faire|[Dungeoneering Guide]|Inscription
[/table]

Archaeology Items: [Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan], [Ring of the Boy Emperor], [Tyrande's Favorite Doll].

Justice Points

[table=head]Slot|Points|Item (346)
Head|2200|[Cowl of Pleasant Gloom]
Neck|1250|[String of Beaded Bubbles]
Shoulder|1650|[Meadow Mantle]
Chest|2200|[Robes of Embalmed Darkness]
Hands|1650|[Gloves of the Painless Midnight]
Waist|1650|[Incense Infused Cumberbund]
Legs|2200|[Pensive Legwraps]
Off-Hand|950|[Hermit's Lamp]
[/table]

Justice Points (former Valor Points Rewards)

[table=head]Slot|Points|Item (359)
Back|1250|[Haunt of Flies]
Feet|1650|[Melodious Slippers]
Finger|1250|[Band of Secret Names]
Trinket|1650|[Soul Casket]
||
Head|1 Posted Image|[Firelord's Hood]
Shoulders|1 Posted Image|[Firelord's Mantle]
Chest|2200|[Firelord's Robes]
Hands|1650|[Firelord's Gloves]
Legs|2200|[Firelord's Leggings]
[/table]

The heroic version of the Chest, Hands and Leg T11 Tokens drop of early heroic encounters. These tokens can also be purchased with Essence of the Forlorn (Al'Akir).

For heroic raid loots, have a look at this list at mmo-champion.

Tier 11 Set Bonuses

2P Bonus: Increases the critical strike chance of Arcane Missiles, Ice Lance, and Pyroblast by 5%.
4P Bonus: Reduces the cast time of Arcane Blast, Arcane Barrage, Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, and Frostbolt by 10%.

Patch 4.2

Reputation and Valor Points Rewards will be upgradeable to heroic itemlevel.

Reputation Rewards

[table=head]Faction|Friendly (378)|Honored (378)|Revered (378)|Exalted (391)
Avengers of Hyjal|[Rippling Flamewrath Drape]|[Embereye Belt]|[Rune of Zeth]|[Infernal Signet of the Avengers]
[/table]

(Daily) Quest Rewards

[table=head]NPC|Item (365)
Thrall|Mantle of Desire (Thrall questchain)
Zen'Vorka|Nightweaver's Amulet (Firelands questchain, early available)
Damek Bloombeard|Widow's Clutches
Ayla Shadowstorm|Moonwell Chalice
Varlan Highbough|Spirit Fragment Band
[/table]

Crafted BoE Items

[table=head]Item (378)|Source|Item (365)|Source
[Boots of the Black Flame]|Tailoring|[Masterwork Elementium Spellblade]|Blacksmithing (Daily Vendor Plan)
[Don Tayo's Inferno Mittens]|Tailoring||
[/table]

Valor Points

[table=head]Slot|Points|Item (378)
Wand|700|[Trail of Embers]
Wrist|1250|[Emberflame Bracers]
Neck|1250|[Amulet of Burning Brilliance]
Finger|1250|[Crystalline Brimstone Ring]
[/table]

Heroic Raid Loot Table @ MMO

Tier 12 Set Bonuses

2P Bonus: You have a chance to summon a Mirror Image to assist you in battle for 15 sec when you cast Frostbolt, Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, or Arcane Blast.
4P Bonus: Your spells have an increased chance to trigger Brain Freeze or Hot Streak. In addition, Arcane Power decreases the cost of your damaging spells by 10% instead of increasing their cost.

Item Enhancements

Enchants

[table=head]Slot|Enchant|Notes
Head|60 Int & 35 Crit|Guardians of Hyjal - Revered
Shoulders|50 Int & 25 Haste|Therazane - Exalted
Back|65 Crit or 50 Int|
Chest|20 All Stats|(PvP: 40 Resilience)
Wrist|50 Int|
Hand|65 Mastery or 50 Haste|Consider 28 SP here (wotlk)
Waist|1 Socket|Made by Blacksmithing
Legs|95 Int & 80 Stamina|Made by Tailoring
Feet|Movement speed & 35 Mastery|no runspeed: 50 Hit, 50 Mastery, 50 Haste
Main Hand|500 Int for 12 sec|
Off Hand|40 Int|
[/table]

Gems

Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (54 Intellect / 3% Crit Damage) - "requires" 3 red gems

[table=head]red|orange|yellow|green|blue|purple
40 Int|20 Int & 20 Crit|40 Crit|20 Crit & 20 Hit|40 Hit|20 Int & 20 Hit
|20 Int & 20 Haste|40 Haste|20 Haste & 20 Hit
|20 Int & 20 Mastery|40 Mastery|20 Mastery & 20 Hit
[/table]

Profession Bonuses

Engineering
There is a major change in how engineering enchants work: The use effects do not overwrite the usual enchant anymore.
Synapse Springs: 480 Int for 10 sec (4.0.6) on a 1 min cooldown results in 80 additional Int.
Nitro Boosts have their crit bonus removed and are applied to your belt. Due to the high amount of malfunctions, it is dangerous to use them in raids or battle grounds. Belt tinkers do not work in arenas or rated bgs. Personally I don't like the idea of making the speed bonus depend on payed racial changes instead of professions...
Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades with special engineering sockets. You can choose from different cogwheels, each granting 208 of a different (yellow- or blue-gem) combat stat. The resulting values match non heroic T11 raid loot, so this item will only help in the first progression phase.

Tailoring
Lightweave Embroidery: 580 Int for 15 sec, 35% procc chance, ~64 sec internal cooldown. Asuming maximum uptime we get an average of 133.8 Int instead of the 50 Int (+83.8) enchant. The effective gain is, of course, less than that value!

Jewelcrafting
3x 67 Int Gem results in +81 Int over 3x Brilliant Inferno Ruby. There are also Gems for each combat rating with the same profit.

Blacksmithing
The two additional sockets Socket Bracer and Socket Gloves result in 80 Int, or whatever stat you can gem for.

Alchemy
Mixology adds 80 Int to your Flask of the Draconic Mind and doubles the duration.

Enchanting
2x Enchant Ring - Intellect for another 80 Int.

Felfire Inscription adds 80 Int to Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone, which also saves you some reputation farming ;)

Leatherworking
Draconic Embossment - Intellect: 130 Int instead of 50 Int (+80).

Herbalism
Lifeblood: 480 Haste for 20 sec on a 2 min cooldown works out to 80 Haste. *

Skinning
Master of Anatomy - 80 Crit. *

Mining
Toughness will only help tank mages.

* The benefits of Herbalism and Skinning depend on relative stat values and thus cannot be compared directly to the other professions. Due to the low values of combat rating in the early tiers, these professions are not yet competitive.

Racial Bonuses

Alliance

Draenei
Heroic Presence: +1% Hit

Dwarf
none

Gnome
Expansive Mind: +5% Mana pool
Escape Artist: Removes snares and slows

Human
Every Man for Himself: Removes movement impairing effects amd silences.

Night Elf
none

Worgen
Viciousness: +1% Critical Strike chance

Horde

Blood Elf
Arcane Torrent: 6% Mana restore (2min CD)

Forsaken
Will of the Forsaken: Removes Charm, Fear and Sleep effects

Goblin
Time is Money: +1% Haste
Rocket Barrage: xxx fire damage (2min CD)

Orc
Blood Fury: 584 SP / 15s (2min CD), ~73 SP
Command: +5% Pet's Damage

Troll
Berserking: 20% Haste / 10s (3min CD), ~1,1% Haste
Beast Slaying: 5% Damage versus Beast

Latest Changes
- Updated for 4.2: New Craftables, new Reputation Rewards & new Item Levels added
- Some more quest items added

#2 Katatonia

Katatonia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Engineering:
Synapse Springs - Glove tinker for 480 int for 12 seconds, 1 minute cooldown. Average of 96 int.
Springy Arachnoweave - 27 spell power. New Cataclysm cloak tinkers don't add any dps so you're stuck with the old one.
Z50 Mana Gulper - Belt tinker that adds some sort of click effect that makes Mythical Mana Potions better. Exact effect is unknown, but I'd assume it's a flat increase in how much mana you get.

Nitro Boosts still exist too, but the crit rating part of the effect was removed.

And the most important part is that tinkers now stack with normal enchants. I guess after years of being the quirky, "flavor" profession it's finally time for Engineering to be the best one of all (for a while at least).

#3 sierran

sierran

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

Looks like Tailoring and Engineering will be our goto professions for Cataclysm. Time for me to go level up!

A section on Masteries would be nice - explaining the different types, etc.

#4 Gilthanor

Gilthanor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Looks like Tailoring and Engineering will be our goto professions for Cataclysm. Time for me to go level up!

A section on Masteries would be nice - explaining the different types, etc.

That's not the point of this thread, which is just a general resource for mages of all specs. You want this thread.

Well I was going to mention Cogwheels and Hydraulic Pumps, but apparently these only work with the engineering-only headpieces. Might be something for the early game.

Cataclysm Beta: Engineering Preview - World of Raids Forums

#5 ChronoKill

ChronoKill

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

It might be worth noting that you're going to need more hit rating as you advance in tiers. The 1742 hit rating you quoted might only be sufficient for 5man heroics and the entry raid tier.

#6 ash2ash

ash2ash

Operation Asian

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

And the most important part is that tinkers now stack with normal enchants. I guess after years of being the quirky, "flavor" profession it's finally time for Engineering to be the best one of all (for a while at least).

Is springy arachnoweave still exclusive with lightweave embroidery, or can they both be applied?
I point my camera at stuff and I press buttons:

picasaweb.google.com/pariah99

#7 Roywyn

Roywyn

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1398 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Intellect-to-crit: 648.91 intellect / 1% crit, might add that to the first table, from http://elitistjerks....l_85_cataclysm/ table below "intellect needed". Also, Water Elemental scaling: 50% HP/Mana, 40% spell power, 100% hit/crit/haste, crits for 150% damage.

Also, until you reach 10k spell spower or more, you will spam intellect gems because ratings are that weak. I put some details into a spoiler tag to avoid thread clutter.

Spoiler

Chaotic Meta Gems in Cataclysm: http://elitistjerks....p2/#post1794256

DPS spec and class comparison in Naxxramas gear: http://code.google.c...ki/SampleOutput
The Blue Bar and you - the complete Fire Mage 2.4 mana compendium: http://elitistjerks....0-post3191.html

And doesn't proc on AM.
Neither does since 3.1.

#8 Thazzdingo

Thazzdingo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

Is springy arachnoweave still exclusive with lightweave embroidery, or can they both be applied?

In the current beta, the SP bonus of Springy Arachnoweave is overwritten by all kinds of enchants while the parachute remains. Because the cataclysm enchants are much better than 27 SP, you won't use them no matter if you are a tailor or not.
Edit: This changed in the live version. You still have the SP bonus after adding an enchant to your back.

I added Engineering to the Profession Bonuses in the OP, as well as some numbers to the Rating Tables - thanks Katatonia and Roywyn.

#9 Logix

Logix

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:33 AM

When possible, please update the coefficients table with Arcane's new coefficients:

Arcane Blast: 1.0569
Arcane Barrage: 0.7649
Arcane Missiles (talented, over 5): 1.1699

These values are consistent with the current state of Arcane in the beta.

Furthermore, I am not sure if the "x/3.5" part is relevant anymore. From what I can tell so far, there is no longer any logic holding the coefficients together in this form.

Perhaps there is some alternate arithmetic from which a clean, rational form of the spell coefficients can be deduced? If anyone has figured this out, please do share. I think I speak for a significant number of mages when I say that the mess being created with these rather arcane values for the coefficients is just giving us all a headache.

#10 emopriest

emopriest

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm trying to decide if I want to drop tailoring for engineering in cata. I haven't yet because of cata making it easier to level, but I'm still hesitant to let enchanting go because of the usefulness of it.

Did some more number crunching, and here's what I came up with. Keep in mind, this is focused on keeping enchanting as your other profession.

So the gloves add on 96 int, compare this to the tailoring emoroidery, which results in 140.5 int, which I think the math is actually off because I'm pretty sure it's only 580 instead of 590, but I didn't want to rework the math for this comparison.

Assuming we add the 27 sp to the cloak from eng, then that is 21.90 int, so we are now up to 117.90 int from eng, compared to the 140.5 from tailoring.

If nitro boots are having their crit removed competely and they are really just a speed boost every 3 min, then I can't see any real benefit to them.

The gulper would be nice, but I hope that this wouldn't be one or the other for the belt buckle, if it can be added on additionaly, then it would depend on the additional amount gained for proper estimation.

Which comes down to the hydraulic socket. If this is available on only engineered items, then it would depend on the possible boss drops from future raid bosses, and if more hydraulic gems are added. Currently I am only seeing 208 hit and 208 spirit. If they add 208 int then I think the choice is clear, but again, once the helm gets replaced and no future items with hydraulic sockets are added, I still see tailoring being a better choice overall when compared to enchanting as your other profession.

Thoughts?

#11 Logix

Logix

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Pardon my bad luck, but just as I posted the new arcane coefficients in my last post, Blizzard went ahead and changed them late last night.

Apologies, but if possible, please update the Arcane coefficients again

The new arcane coefficients are:

Arcane Blast: 0.9723
Arcane Barrage: 0.7037
Arcane Missiles (talented, over 5): 1.0765

As a side note, the 3 main arcane spells had their coefficients and base damage reduced by approximately 8%. Does Zaldinar or Lhivera have the new numbers for Fire and Frost? Lets keep the main post in this thread updated.

#12 Thazzdingo

Thazzdingo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

I added a list of mage specific raidbuffs & -debuffs - it would be nice if it gets double checked :)

Which comes down to the hydraulic socket. If this is available on only engineered items, then it would depend on the possible boss drops from future raid bosses, and if more hydraulic gems are added. Currently I am only seeing 208 hit and 208 spirit. If they add 208 int then I think the choice is clear, but again, once the helm gets replaced and no future items with hydraulic sockets are added, I still see tailoring being a better choice overall when compared to enchanting as your other profession.

I'm quite sure that the hydraulic sockets only affect the crafted items. These do not have combat ratings on them, but the value of the 2 hydraulic sockets matches exactly the value other items have on the same itemlevel. Why did Blizzard add these sockets? Instead of adding one cloth helmet for healers, a second one for DDs who favor crit and maybe a thrid one for those who want to have some more haste, Blizzard just let's the choice to the engineer and one item fits for all of them.

Assuming we add the 27 sp to the cloak from eng, then that is 21.90 int, so we are now up to 117.90 int from eng, compared to the 140.5 from tailoring.

I fixed the calculation on Lightweave Embroidery. The thing that's missing in your calculation is, that Embroideries do not stack with enchants. That means, while Lightweave Embroidery adds roughly 138 Int, you're loosing the 50 Int enchant at the same time. And then you're back at 88 Int, which is similiar to the other professions if you take the procc rate and the minor benefits of Intellect over SP into account.

#13 DeadNite

DeadNite

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

Which comes down to the hydraulic socket. If this is available on only engineered items, then it would depend on the possible boss drops from future raid bosses, and if more hydraulic gems are added. Currently I am only seeing 208 hit and 208 spirit. If they add 208 int then I think the choice is clear, but again, once the helm gets replaced and no future items with hydraulic sockets are added...

Caster Related Cogwheels
Fractured Cogwheel - +208 Mastery Rating
Quick Cogwheel - +208 Haste Rating
Rigid Cogwheel - +208 Hit Rating
Smooth Cogwheel - +208 Critical Strike Rating
Sparkling Cogwheel - +208 Spirit

These are what I have come across so far. I have also noticed that the current Engineering helms have 2 of these sockets.

Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades
Binds when picked up
Head - Cloth
1016 Armor
+512 Stamina
+301 Intellect
Meta Socket
Cogwheel Socket
Cogwheel Socket

Socket Bonus: +20 Intellect
Durability 100 / 100
Requires Level 81
Requires Engineering (525)
Item Level 359

Compare that to the T11 helm...

Firelord's Hood
Binds when picked up
Head Cloth
1016 Armor
+512 Stamina
+281 Intellect
Meta Socket
Blue Socket

Socket Bonus: +30 Critical Strike Rating

Durability 100 / 100
Classes: Mage
Requires Level 85
Item Level 359
Equip: Improves haste rating by 188 (3.98% @ L85).
Equip: Increases your mastery rating by 208.

Lets assume you standard Meta @ 85 regardless of requirements with a 208 Mastery, 208 Haste Cog, with a 20int/20hit purple gem in T11...

Engi Helm
+20 Intellect
+20 Haste
-30 Crit
-20 Hit

Not sure it would be worth it as the T11 Helm has more reforging possibilities. Or should I say it actually HAS reforging possibilities. Also not really sure how the new tiering system will work as far as if there will be anything higher then 359 via a token upgrade. Only thing higher I have spotted is PvP gear.

#14 Gilthanor

Gilthanor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Stuff about engineering helms.

I'm not sure the WoWhead DB is correct. It's at odds with the one on WorldofRaids, in which they have one Cogwheel and one Hydraulic Pump socket, so you can choose one from the Mastery, Haste, Crit, Dodge, Parry, Expertise set, and another from the Hit or Spirit set.

Cataclysm Beta: Engineering Preview - World of Raids Forums

#15 Roywyn

Roywyn

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1398 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

To get "n" additional ticks on your DoT, you need enough total haste to grant you enough time for "n-0.5" additional ticks. Assuming your DoT ticks "t" times without haste, then your total haste "h" would have to be "h > (n-0.5)/t", where "1+h = (1+haste_rating%)*(1+netherwind_talent)*(1+haste_totem)*(1+heroism)*(1+icy_veins)*..." as usual.

The shortest description would probably be "To get n additional ticks from a DoT with t ticks baseline, you need a total haste of (n-0.5)/t.". This gives haste some desirable breakpoints to reach where your DPS makes a jump when you get an extra tick. Not sure whether Evocation gains extra ticks or not.
Chaotic Meta Gems in Cataclysm: http://elitistjerks....p2/#post1794256

DPS spec and class comparison in Naxxramas gear: http://code.google.c...ki/SampleOutput
The Blue Bar and you - the complete Fire Mage 2.4 mana compendium: http://elitistjerks....0-post3191.html

And doesn't proc on AM.
Neither does since 3.1.

#16 Zaldinar

Zaldinar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Worth noting that in combat regeneration is a flat 5% of your base mana pool per five seconds on the character sheet. This is not modified by gear, spec, or buffs as far as I can observe.
To truly model the game, we first must research it.
http://zaldinar.wordpress.com/
Proven TheoryCrafting Stuff, chain casting in a PTR near you soon.

#17 Incoherent

Incoherent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

I am getting the following Spellpower coefficients, untalented and tested wearing only gear that has a flat increase to Spellpower, Intellect, Crit or haste. (No Set bonuses etc) The numbers are derived from Blizzard Tooltips and Paper doll stats at different amounts of gear

Frostbolt	0.8572	3.000/3.5
Fireball	1.1243	3.935/3.5
Scorch . .	0.5382	1.884/3.5
Frostfire bolt	0.9768	3.419/3.5
Arcane Blast	1.0573	3.700/3.5
Icelance	0.3774	1.321/3.5

The only one that makes any kind of sense to me is Frostbolt. Are Blizzard now fine tuning using SP coefficient?

As of last night, 18 Oct, Frost Specialisation only gave 15% damage increase, not 25% as stated in the Talent Summary.

#18 Zaldinar

Zaldinar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

They've tossed the idea of standardized coefficients out the window for Cataclysm. And or are using a standardization process that we haven't divined yet.
To truly model the game, we first must research it.
http://zaldinar.wordpress.com/
Proven TheoryCrafting Stuff, chain casting in a PTR near you soon.

#19 binksy

binksy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:29 AM

Caster Related Cogwheels

Not sure it would be worth it as the T11 Helm has more reforging possibilities. Or should I say it actually HAS reforging possibilities. Also not really sure how the new tiering system will work as far as if there will be anything higher then 359 via a token upgrade. Only thing higher I have spotted is PvP gear.

Well reforging the engineering helm wouldn't matter because you can basically reforge by choosing a different cogwheel. Sure you wouldn't be able to have 3 stats but you could have a massive chunk of whatever stat you are reforging just from that helm.

#20 Nathyiel

Nathyiel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

We can had the list of useful PVE racial talent in Cataclysm :

Alliance
Draenei
  • Heroic Presence : +1% Hit
Dwarf
  • none
Gnome
  • Expansive Mind : +5% Mana pool
Human
  • none
Night Elf
  • none
Worgen
  • Viciousness : +1% Critical Strike chance

Horde
Blood Elf
  • Arcane Torrent : +6% mana (2min CD)
Forsaken
  • none
Goblin
  • Time is money : +1% Haste
  • Rocket Barrage : xxx fire damage (2min CD)
Orc
  • Blood Fury : 1485 Spell Power /15s (2min CD), ~185 sp.
  • Command : +5% Pet's Damage
Troll
  • Berserking : +20% Haste /10s (3min CD), ~1.6% haste
  • Beast Slaying : +5% Damage versus Beast

For the Orc with a water elemental between 10% and 15% of the total DPS, Command will be between +0.5% and +0.75% of the global damage.

edit> if you have number for the goblin rocket ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users