265 replies to this topic

#261 Kobayeshe

Kobayeshe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

Future hotfixes to 4.0.6, posted by Bashiok

Unfortunately, arcane's critical lack of mobility means it will likely only remain viable for only a few select fights such as Chimaeron unless the buff is significant enough.

According to Bashiok, this will be:

we're currently planning to put out a couple hotfixes specifically for Arcane mages. Likely today.

Arcane Blast base mana cost from 7% to 5%.

However, with the above change in mind we are also going to nerf the Shard of Woe trinket to halve the mana savings for Arcane spells only. It's still a fantastic trinket for Arcane mages even with the reduction.

#262 Silverwind

Silverwind

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Here are the new and old mana values:

Live without Shard: 1219 @AB0, 8533 @AB4
Hotfix without Shard: 871 @AB0, 6095 @AB4

A nice 28% mana cost reducion right there for people without the Shard.

Live with Shard: 814 @AB0, 5698 @AB4
Hotfix with Shard: 666 @AB0, 4662 @AB4

Shard users only get 18% reduced mana costs with the new shard compared to live. The overall mana savings from Shard at AB4 will change from 33% to 23% spell cost with the hotfix.

#263 Condujeux

Condujeux

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

ABarr seems to be better now instead of AM during hover. Allowing quicker time to get back to AB casting. Since players will have to much mana from the current hover mode.

AB3 AM currently for me in a raid scenario
AB3 ABarr slightly ahead for me by almost 1,000 dps on a target dummy

Mana saved 2,559 from hotfix ABx3
Abarr cost is 1,915
Mana gained from AM around 1,300 per AM

Abarr will burn approximately 900 mana or (Abarr cost - (1.5*(MA mana/5))

some rough testing, burning around 2k mana per ABx3, earning 1,300+ mana back from AM
(9600*.7145) = 6859
-
(MA mana/5)*6sec("ABx3")) = 4059

1800 mana lost not including regen or raid buffs
2,700 lost ABx3 Abarr
500 lost ABx3 AM

That is with ABx3 with just MA, which will be earned all back from casting AM for hover, and possibly gain more mana than needed. Having another AB in ABx4 would seem unlikely due to its high mana cost.

Currently have about 5,000 Int

#264 Tyrian

Tyrian

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

The OP here states, "Moderator's note: Logix is an inactive player and has not updated this thread since before Cataclysm was released. You should consider this post to be of mostly general interest, and if you need advice on how to gear and spec you should use the tools available to make your own conclusions."

Given that Arcane might become our highest single target DPS spec with more gear (mobility, aoe issues aside) it would be nice to have a new Arcane thread. This would set the scene for a cleaned up and up-to-date presentation of all things Arcane, ready for subsequent discussion.

Is there anyone who has a strong personal interest in Arcane, and a strong understanding of the intricacies of the spec itself - who could perhaps consider doing this? If so, i'd suggest shooting a quick PM to Wizeowl expressing your desire/interest and i'm sure you'll receive his/her support. I can help a little too, feel free to take the base code used for the format/layout/tables in the Fire Compendium to kick-start a template you might like to use for the Arcane thread - which should save a bit of time.

It'd be nice to see the Arcane thread revamped, refreshed - and maintained - by a currently active poster/player.

Fire might be the spec (almost) everyone is playing and talking about now. But, going by precedent, it's only a matter of time before another spec becomes the star of the show. When that happens: We'd all like to have a strong resource ready and available that, importantly, is up to date with the latest developments.

EJ also has the biggest and best secret weapon/resource for anything Arcane related: Kavan.

#265 Seonid

Seonid

Commander Nexus

•  Patrons
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

It'd be nice to see the Arcane thread revamped, refreshed - and maintained - by a currently active poster/player.

I am in the process of putting this together, initially it will primarily contain the static information with appropriate place-holder sections for the conclusions of discussions and calculations as and when they become available. It will also contain all the basic spell and talent information in a similar fashion to the Fire Mage Compendium.
The Mage theme song. :dance:

There are racists and misogynists on ARRSE, of course there are - there are also vicars, doctors, lawyers, homosexuals, persons of colour, wimps, coward, imbeciles, heroes - all sorts of folk. Many of them (although probably not as great a proportion as ten years ago) are either serving or former soldiers, with a bracing infusion of Booties and sailors and a thin pale blue streak of simpering homosexuals from the paramilitary wing of British Airways.

#266 Guest_Alvira_*

Guest_Alvira_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Just my 2 cents. But with the reduced mana cost to AB, the new volatile Alchemist stone is even better now, because mythical mana potions used give 14,000 mana back. And that can now equate to more AB casts, plus the stone gives the most of what every Arcane mage wants the most of - Int.

Even at 4 stack, the 14k mana returned can now give more than 2 arcane blasts. Or it will close to cover one complete ramp up from o stack to 4 stack AB. Question is whether the increase in spell power for 25 seconds from using volcanic potion is more than that in terms of damage?

Even without raid buffs, I was able to have a longer period of burn times when I tested on the dummy. There could be much less of "hovering" now if we factor in burn then mana gem, burn then mana pot, burn then evoc. I find in practise that because it takes longer to complete a burn down to 30% mana (because AB costs less), we can and should start our AB burn well before the evocation cooldown is up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users