• This topic is locked This topic is locked
244 replies to this topic

#41 Sui-san

Sui-san

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Which metas are you referring to? The only one that comes to mind is ESD, and it gives 21 int and 2% total mana (not total int).

Apologies for not making this more clear. I'm talking about the the following:

CSD Vs.

Bracing Earthsiege Diamond (21 Int and 2% threat reduced)

Ember Skyflare Diamond (21 Int and 2% maximum mana)*

Insightful Earthsiege Diamond (21 Int and chance to restore mana on spellcast)*

Tireless Skyflare Diamond (21 Int and Minor run speed)

* Might be more helpful at 85, due to reports of issues with mana from those in Beta.

Just out of curiosity, these might be more handy due to Spellpower vs Crit which is (comparatively) a much weaker stat.

If I'm off the mark completely, lemme know.

#42 zaxbysauce

zaxbysauce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Apologies for not making this more clear. I'm talking about the the following:

CSD Vs.

Bracing Earthsiege Diamond (21 Int and 2% threat reduced)

Ember Skyflare Diamond (21 Int and 2% maximum mana)*

Insightful Earthsiege Diamond (21 Int and chance to restore mana on spellcast)*

Tireless Skyflare Diamond (21 Int and Minor run speed)

* Might be more helpful at 85, due to reports of issues with mana from those in Beta.

Just out of curiosity, these might be more handy due to Spellpower vs Crit which is (comparatively) a much weaker stat.

If I'm off the mark completely, lemme know.

Well the 21 crit is worth about 12ish spellpower, so the question then becomes how much is the 3% crit damage currently worth.

On a side note, I am hearing rumors that they have also just nerfed shadowfiend's damage output.

#43 Shivaekul

Shivaekul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

Quick of the top of my head math.

I'm going to use a crit value of 33%, just cause its a nice number. (Raid buffed shadowpriests should be well over this value).
(I am ignoring crit bonuses to specific spells from talents and tier sets.)
I'm not going to get into the relative scaleing of sp vs crit, so i'm just going to treat the damage of a spell as a constant.

Total Damage=(Spell Damage)*(1+Crit%*CSD)
Total Damage=(Spell Damage)*(1+.33*1.03)
Total Damage=(Spell Damage)*1.34

Without CSD
Total Damge=(Spell Damage)*1.33

Total Damage with CSD - Total Damage Without CSD
= (Spell Damage) * 1.34 - (Spell Damage) * 1.33
= (Spell Damage)*(1.34-1.33)
= (Spell Damage)*(.01)

This means that the CSD adds roughly 1% to our damage, and as spell power and crit go up, so do the value of the CSD.
Additionally, as of now we have no mana issues, and gain runspeed from our boots.
The only useful benefit we could get from another meta would be 2% less threat.

IMO ~1% extra damage is > 2% threat, especially as I run with good tanks.

Once we hit level 85, with its corresponding lower values of crit, then it might be useful to reevaluate the CSD, but for now, it still reigns supreme.

*I over simplified the damage equations, so my numbers are very approximate.*

*Edits were to try and get it to display halfway decently.
*Last Edit fixed a *Very* stupid math mistake. Numbers should be correct right now.

#44 Sui-san

Sui-san

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

I'm going to use a crit value of 33%, just cause its a nice number. (Raid buffed shadowpriests should be well over this value).
I'm not going to get into the relative scaleing of sp vs crit, so i'm just going to treat the damage of a spell as a constant.

Without CSD

= (Spell Damage)*(.01)

This means that the CSD adds roughly 1% to our damage, and as spell power and crit go up, so do the value of the CSD.
Additionally, as of now we have no mana issues, and gain runspeed from our boots.

Once we hit level 85, with its corresponding lower values of crit, then it might be useful to reevaluate the CSD, but for now, it still reigns supreme.

*Last Edit fixed a *Very* stupid math mistake. Numbers should be correct right now.

Thanks for the number crunch. I suppose that now people are getting used to tanking with their new set-ups, aggro problems will be less dire. CSD it is.

#45 zaxbysauce

zaxbysauce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Without CSD

= (Spell Damage)*(.01)

Very nice work and much appreciated.

With some testing last night the shadowfiend nerf seems to be nothing more than rumor. As far as I could tell over several 10+minute runs at a training dummy he was right around where he has always been. The Death nerf hurts a little. Removes it completely from the system above 25%, but at least it is still hitting full strength in execute range (albeit only twice every 8 seconds). We have still seen a pretty hefty dps increase with the patch so I am happy right now with where we are.

#46 Vaelir

Vaelir

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

For our rotation, should we be using MB every CD or when we have Orbs x3??

Also, I have the 4x T10 for lower mindflay durations, which before 4.0 meant i didn't use MB at all.. is this still the case??

Should people without 4T10 use MB on CD, and people with 4T10 use it only on x1, x2 or x3 Orbs??
Should people without 4T10 use MB only on x3 Orbs, and people with 4T10 not use it at all??

Someone help please :D

"When should we use MB without 4T10?"
"When should we use MB with 4T10?"
Are the basic questions to be answered, this will probably also depend on the SP of the player if MF and MB have different coefficient but i'll let you pro's do the math.

#47 Oen

Oen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Just a small tidbit I noticed from the first day I logged into 4.0.1: Enchant Chest - Greater Mana Restoration now provides 20 spirit. The tooltip still hasn't been updated yet to reflect the change, but I assure you it's 20 spirit now. Powerful Stats will still be the best chest enchant more than likely, but I'm just throwing this out there for those that like to be aware of all their options.

#48 zaxbysauce

zaxbysauce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

Just a small tidbit I noticed from the first day I logged into 4.0.1: Enchant Chest - Greater Mana Restoration now provides 20 spirit. The tooltip still hasn't been updated yet to reflect the change, but I assure you it's 20 spirit now. Powerful Stats will still be the best chest enchant more than likely, but I'm just throwing this out there for those that like to be aware of all their options.

A good find. 10 stats will still be the dps enchant of choice, but 20 spirit provides a good option for a hit enchant in addition to a little more regen.

#49 Umbranex

Umbranex

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

So it sounds like DoTs autorefresh spellpower and crit, but not Haste. That is a pretty big deal, both for potions and activatable Haste trinkets.

So if you stack haste CDs, recast your DoTs, and then never let them fall off, they will keep their haste buffs for the entire fight?

#50 zaxbysauce

zaxbysauce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

So if you stack haste CDs, recast your DoTs, and then never let them fall off, they will keep their haste buffs for the entire fight?

I just ran a few simple tests on a training dummy. Both runs were done to a full mana bar, speed pot was popped at the beginning just before DP, then VT was applied, then SWP, then flay spam until dot refresh.

Test 1 (DoTs allowed to fall and refreshed just as they fell, pre 4.0 style) 164.43 seconds
VT 80 ticks
SWP 89 ticks
DP 82 ticks

Test 2 (DoTs never allowed to fall, 100% uptime) 157.81 seconds
VT 77 ticks
SWP 86 ticks
DP 79 ticks

Secondary test with a more controlled environment. Pot just before DP was applied, refreshed DP exactly twice. Test 1 DP was refreshed with 1 second left, test 2 DP was refreshed the instant it fell off.

Test 1
DP 37 ticks
Test 2
DP 37 ticks

So for pots at least haste does not seem to refresh if you refresh the DoT before it falls.

#51 Shivaekul

Shivaekul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

I just ran a few simple tests on a training dummy. Both runs were done to a full mana bar, speed pot was popped at the beginning just before DP, then VT was applied, then SWP, then flay spam until dot refresh.

Test 1 (DoTs allowed to fall and refreshed just as they fell, pre 4.0 style) 164.43 seconds
VT 80 ticks
SWP 89 ticks
DP 82 ticks

Test 2 (DoTs never allowed to fall, 100% uptime) 157.81 seconds
VT 77 ticks
SWP 86 ticks
DP 79 ticks

Secondary test with a more controlled environment. Pot just before DP was applied, refreshed DP exactly twice. Test 1 DP was refreshed with 1 second left, test 2 DP was refreshed the instant it fell off.

Test 1
DP 37 ticks
Test 2
DP 37 ticks

So for pots at least haste does not seem to refresh if you refresh the DoT before it falls.

Thank you for the testing. I was wondering about that.

Now the next question about haste and dots is...

Is it calculated per tick, or per refresh.
With the results you have gotten, it seems as though it might be per tick. (I know there was a blue post saying that they were going to make it so haste, crit, and sp were revaluated every tick)

This would mean that you loose the benefit of bloodlust on your ticks the moment you loose bloodlust (And on a positive note, gain the benefit of bloodlust the moment it gets popped).
For that matter, you woudn't have to worry about popping your haste pot before dot application, and could instead pop it after the dots are up so that you get the full benefit on MF spam *and* your dots.

#52 Tust

Tust

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

i'm new to this msg board, so i hope this isnt out of line.

my testing shows that haste is the only exception currently to swp getting updated with mind flay. and that mind flay does not update VT or DP in any way. however debuffs on the mob are recalculated per tick, without any interference from us. crit and damage modifiers are both now updated with mind flay (they were not before).

this means that currently, swp hasted with heroism, pots, whatever, can be rolled the whole fight. but honestly, if haste is the only exception, i would expect it changed at some point. swp also clearly benefits from haste now, but i think we knew that already.

i will preface by saying that while these are small samples, i did run them multiple times with the same result. the only variation being sometimes getting 1 crit while naked, which is expected. i invite anyone else to run the same or similar tests. if these are somehow flawed and i am not understanding something correctly, i apologize.

here are the tests i ran on the target dummies.

Naked time between ticks (expected results)
VT: 3 seconds (5 ticks) (0 crit)
DP: 3 seconds (8 ticks) (0 crit)
SWP: 3 seconds (6 ticks) (0 crit)

Cast Naked, dress to full gear, refresh with mind flay. (same results no effect from added haste)
VT: 3 seconds (5 ticks) (0 crit)
DP: 3 seconds (8 ticks) (0 crit)
SWP: 3 seconds (cant count ticks, reset with mind flay) (4/6 crit showing that crit was indeed updated)

my testing also showed that if i cast vt and dp at the end of heroism (again naked) i would continue to get 2 second ticks until hard refreshed. and that dots cast before heroism also did not benefit from heroism until recast.

to prove the point, i let dots fall off and cast right as heroism is ending (still naked)
VT:7 ticks (+2)
DP:11 ticks (+3)
SWP:8 ticks (+2)

meaning, that mind flay does not update VT or DP with changes in character stats. but does update SWP with crit (new), damage modifiers(new) and spell power (like always), but not haste.

next tests

dot the dummy, then cast curse of elements (while naked)(warlock helped). i did this naked because the damage ticks on all the dots are always within 1 point of damage to each other, excluding the rare crit.

no coe debuff (no shadow form) (control test). damage done per dot:
VT: 224
DP: 231
SWP: 360

after coe was cast (still naked and no shadow form) (no mind flay)
VT: 242
DP: 250
SWP: 389
this shows that dots are in fact updated per tick as the mob is debuffed. no need to recast anything for debuffs.

joining an arcane mage in a group (3% damage) and refreshing with mind flay (before mind flay no change).
VT: 224
DP: 231
SWP: 371 (only change)
this shows that getting a damage modifier power up will only update swp, and only on mind flay refresh.

#53 kaesebrezen

kaesebrezen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

this shows that dots are in fact updated per tick as the mob is debuffed. no need to recast anything for debuffs.

Good thing CoE was calcuated on tick Pre 4.0. already... Test it with improved Scorch next, that at least wasn't calcuated on tick. Nothing has changed for CoE.

Also to clarify it: NO DoT should be calculated on tick.

What cataclysm changed are that auto refresh mechanics should recalculate all buffs/debuffs that previously could be rolled throughout the whole fight. DoTs without auto refresh are still calculated on cast.

VT/DP are calculated on cast. (CoE being the exclusion, which it always was)

#54 Nysem

Nysem

Glass Joe

• Guild Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Haste, DoTs and You in 4.0.1 and beyond

Below are the values of haste needed to add another tick to the damage over time spells we all know and love. These are only for the base spell and does not account for any change by talents and/or glyphs.

Vampiric Touch
[TABLE]Haste |Ticks| Haste Rating
0.0% |5| 0
20.0% |6| 656
40.0% |7| 1312
60.0% |8| 1968
80.0% |9| 2624
100.0% |10| 3279[/TABLE]

Shadow Word: Pain
[TABLE] Haste| Ticks| Haste Rating
0.0%| 6| 0
16.7% |7| 547
33.3% |8| 1093
50.0% |9| 1640
66.7% |10| 2186
83.3% |11| 2733
100.0% |12| 3279[/TABLE]

Devouring Plague
[TABLE]Haste |Ticks| Haste Rating
0.0% |8| 0
12.5% |9| 410
25.0% |10| 820
37.5% |11| 1230
50.0% |12| 1640
62.5% |13| 2050
75.0% |14| 2460
87.5% |15| 2869
100.0% |16| 3279[/TABLE]

Mind Flay

[TABLE]Haste| Ticks| Haste Rating
0.0% |3| 0
33.3% |4| 1093
66.7% |5| 2186
100.0% |6| 3279[/TABLE]

(DISCLAIMER: Haste ratings are approximate.)

I think you made some minor errors in these tables for the breakoff points. For example in your table for SW:P, the breakoff for 8 ticks is 33.3%, but my total haste along with 2/3 Darkness when I tested (Albeit in my holy spec, so no 5% haste buff from Shadowform) was 1.2891*1.02 = 1.314882 and I still had 8 ticks. Additionally I had 11 Devouring Plague ticks at this amount of haste, but your table specifies 37.5% haste as the breakoff point.

I had to take my haste down to 1.2165*1.02 = 1.24083 for Shadow Word: Pain to go from 8 ticks to 7. That doesn't indicate an exact breakoff point, but it does indicate a silly math mistake. For some more precise proof, I had 11 ticks of Devouring Plague at 31.49% haste, and when I dropped down to 31.18% total haste I only had 10 ticks.

These are the results that I have for breakoff points. Let me know what you think, or if I've missed something.

Devouring Plague - 8 ticks base
Ticks|Haste
9|6.25%
10|18.75%
11|31.25%

Mind Flay - 3 ticks base
Ticks|Haste
4|16.6666...%
5|50%
6|83.3333...%

Shadow Word: Pain - 6 ticks base
Ticks|Haste
7|8.3333...%
8|25%
9|41.6666...%

Vampiric Touch - 5 ticks base
Ticks|Haste
6|10%
7|30%
8|50%

#55 Tust

Tust

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

CoE was calcuated on tick Pre 4.0. already... Test it with improved Scorch next, that at least wasn't calcuated on tick. Nothing has changed for CoE.

honestly, i was not aware. i went back this morning and tried to test with the 5% crit debuff mages give. the results arent definitive, but they point to the debuff not applying until a hard recast for VT / DP. but mind flay was updating swp. i'm not sure how else to test except a larger sample size, which i did not have time for.

casting dots before critical mass, refreshing with mind flay, repeat.
VT: 15 ticks (0 crits)
DP: 24 ticks (0 crits)
SWP: 41 ticks (2 crits)

casting critical mass first, and keeping it up.
VT: 15 ticks (3 crits)
DP: 24 ticks (1 crits)
SWP: 37 ticks (2 crits)

i then tried 3 more tests.
100 ticks of swp, no debuff, 5 crits.
100 ticks, with swp cast first, then refreshed with mind flay after debuff goes up, 7 crits
100 ticks, with swp cast after debuff put up, 8 crits.

still not very definitive. but seems to indicate that debuffs were updated with MF for swp. meaning self haste is the only thing not updated with MF.

#56 enqi

enqi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

For our rotation, should we be using MB every CD or when we have Orbs x3?

As of 4.0.1 always MB on 3x orb w/ t10 4set, always on cd without.

#57 Shivaekul

Shivaekul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:34 AM

Thank you nysem.

The implications of that, And I just spent 52 g on unspeccing to test it, is that blizzard rounds to the nearest tick.

The numbers malapropia gives are correct if you gain an extra tick when you should mathematically, without speccing into haste increasing talents.

The numbers I gave are correct if you gain an extra tick when you should mathematically, when you are specced into haste increasing talents.

If you will notice, the first number you gave is half the number malapropia gave, but they increase at the same rate. This is because the point that you gain the extra tick at is not the point we assumed.

I'm going to have to update my posted numbers to account for this information.

#58 Elegen

Elegen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:08 AM

I just did some quick tests on target dummies. Haste numbers were achieved with a combination of haste pots, black magic and hyperspeed accelerators. You can see my spec and gear here
The World of Warcraft Armory - Elegen @ Mannoroth - Profile

1140 Haste
9 SWP
7 VT
12 DP

1390 Haste (my normal base before procs)
9 SWP ticks
8 VT
12 DP

1630 Haste
10 SWP
8 VT
13 DP

1880 Haste
10 SWP
9 VT
14 DP

2130 Haste
11 SWP
9 VT
14 DP

11 SWP
9 VT
15 DP

#59 Itsumi

Itsumi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:48 AM

Edit: [Everything after this note that pertains to dots has been edited in light of new information, to contain numbers that *should* be correct. It turns out that blizzard rounds to the closest tick.]
[I am just doing a preliminary edit here, with another to follow once I have time. Sections that are crossed out are no longer correct, and will be updated when I have time.

On a related note, you gain 1 tick of:
DP ~ every 131 haste rating, with the first tick at either 65 or 66 haste rating.
SWP ~ every 197 haste rating, with the first tick at either 97 or 98
VT ~ every 358 haste rating, with the first tick *probably* at 178

For those who are curious ~1258 haste is required to reach the GCD cap.

This means that...
<Strike>
At ~131 haste rating you have 9 ticks of DP
At ~197 haste rating you have 7 ticks of SWP
At ~262 haste rating you have 10 ticks of DP
At ~358 haste rating you have 6 ticks of VT
At ~393 haste rating you have 11 ticks of DP
At ~394 haste rating you have 8 ticks of SWP
At ~524 haste rating you have 12 ticks of DP
At ~591 haste rating you have 7 ticks of VT
At ~655 haste rating you have 13 ticks of DP
At ~716 haste rating you have 7 ticks of VT
At ~786 haste rating you have 14 ticks of DP
At ~788 haste rating you have 10 ticks of SWP
At ~917 haste rating you have 15 ticks of DP
At ~985 haste rating you have 11 ticks of SWP
At ~1048 haste rating you have 16 ticks of DP
At ~1074 haste rating you have 8 ticks of VT
At ~1179 haste rating you have 17 ticks of DP
At ~1182 haste rating you have 12 ticks of SWP
</Strike>
At ~1258 haste rating you are GCD capped, and you probably stop stacking haste.

Strikethrough wasn't showing up, but I see that you see it's off now... :P Here's what *should* be a correct list.

At 0 haste rating you have 9 ticks of DP
At 6 haste rating you have 7 ticks of SWP
At 57 haste rating you have 6 ticks of VT

At 322 haste rating you have 10 ticks of DP
At 511 haste rating you have 8 ticks of SWP
At 663 haste rating you have 7 ticks of VT
At 701 haste rating you have 11 ticks of DP

At 1016 haste rating you have 9 ticks of SWP
At 1080 haste rating you have 12 ticks of DP
At 1269 haste rating you have 8 ticks of VT, and are GCD capped

At 1459 haste rating you have 13 ticks of DP
At 1522 haste rating you have 10 ticks of SWP

At 1838 haste rating you have 14 ticks of DP
At 1876 haste rating you have 9 ticks of VT

There are a few fairly large plateaus here, which I spaced between. I left in values in the 1800's because it's obtainable through a haste potion if you're heavily haste stacked, though realistically I'd probably cut your haste as close to 1269 as possible. These values are all approximate, they might vary by 1 haste either way.

You gain 1 SWP tick every 505 haste, with the first starting at 6 haste
You gain 1 VT tick every 606 haste, with the first starting at 57 haste
You gain 1 DP tick every 379 haste, with the first starting at 322 haste

Note that 1258 is actually a bit too low to reach 50% haste:
(1+(1258/3279)) * 1.05 * 1.03 = 1.4964, or 49.64% haste.
(1+(1268/3279)) * 1.05 * 1.03 = 1.4997, or 49.97% haste.
(1+(1269/3279)) * 1.05 * 1.03 = 1.5000, or 50% haste and GCD-capped.

Also note that I was completely unable to get a 4th tick on mindflay, so I'm assuming that it's not updated on live. With 1945 haste (59.32% tooltip, 72.3% with talents) I still only had 3 ticks. I wasn't able to round up a shaman to test for certain with lust, but I should easily be hitting 4 or 5 ticks with that much haste.

#60 Nysem

Nysem

Glass Joe

• Guild Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

Thank you nysem.

The implications of that, And I just spent 52 g on unspeccing to test it, is that blizzard rounds to the nearest tick.

The numbers malapropia gives are correct if you gain an extra tick when you should mathematically, without speccing into haste increasing talents.

The numbers I gave are correct if you gain an extra tick when you should mathematically, when you are specced into haste increasing talents.

If you will notice, the first number you gave is half the number malapropia gave, but they increase at the same rate. This is because the point that you gain the extra tick at is not the point we assumed.

I'm going to have to update my posted numbers to account for this information.

I think I may be misunderstanding your post, but I did test the points at which each SW:P and Devouring Plague get their first additional ticks just to confirm. This is with no shadowform buff, and 0/3 Darkness. Even when not specced into haste increasing talents they appear to match the numbers I've given:

Devouring Plague:
6.16% - 8 ticks
6.47% - 9 ticks

Shadow Word: Pain:
8.23% - 6 ticks
8.54% - 7 ticks

As my previous post would indicate the breakoff points after that seem to be accurate also, even when specced into 2/3 Darkness. From there you can recreate the tables for haste percentages/ratings. For the ratings column I'm going to assume that 3/3 Darkness and Mind Quickening are present, but like Malapropia's numbers and yours, those are approximate:

Devouring Plague - 8 ticks base
Ticks|Haste%|Rating
9|6.25%|0 (Those talents alone put you above this)
10|18.75%|323
11|31.25%|701
12|43.75%|1080
13|56.25%|1459

**EDIT - Mind Flay does not appear to gain additional ticks with haste on live**

Mind Flay - 3 ticks base
Ticks|Haste|Rating
4|16.6666...%|259
5|50%|1269
6|83.3333...%|2280

Shadow Word: Pain - 6 ticks base
Ticks|Haste|Rating
7|8.3333...%|6
8|25%|511
9|41.6666...%|1017
10|58.3333...%|1522

Vampiric Touch - 5 ticks base