59 replies to this topic

#21 Anduryondon

Anduryondon

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

The 2 stats search is very neat.
Could you maybe add a small table with the current caps? For example: dual wield hit cap: 831, single-wield: 247 etc.
This would avoid users having to search on other sites for the current cap ratings.

#22 jizzi

jizzi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

The 2 stats search is very neat.
Could you maybe add a small table with the current caps? For example: dual wield hit cap: 831, single-wield: 247 etc.
This would avoid users having to search on other sites for the current cap ratings.

Yes. Good idea. (feature suggestion added) I will just need some help with the numbers for individual specs/classes. Displaying is easy.

#23 Zigizi

Zigizi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

You should have an NSFW or some warning on these links. I followed these from my work and your site has a very large shoutbox filled with profanity and racism.

#24 jizzi

jizzi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

You should have an NSFW or some warning on these links. I followed these from my work and your site has a very large shoutbox filled with profanity and racism.

I moderate it myself usually...but was out on vacation. it's not _really_ _filled_, and normally doesn't happen. But I definitely should do something about it. Sorry about that.

#25 Zigizi

Zigizi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I moderate it myself usually...but was out on vacation. it's not _really_ _filled_, and normally doesn't happen. But I definitely should do something about it. Sorry about that.

Understood, user generated content is always tricky. But maybe you could make it less prominent, and add some... obvious auto-filters? The words I saw in that shoutbox were not at all "gray area" offensive.

#26 jizzi

jizzi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Understood, user generated content is always tricky. But maybe you could make it less prominent, and add some... obvious auto-filters? The words I saw in that shoutbox were not at all "gray area" offensive.

cdyne.com has a free profanity filter, works pretty well, and its free. So I should add that at some point.

#27 jizzi

jizzi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

I want to add a concept of a _recipe_ or a _formula_

For example, you are discussing reforging for a combat rogue on a forum, you could say

I think this is how you should reforge: hit>=461,crit=178,mastery>haste>crit

That formula is translated as:
reforge to get hit to at least 461, set crit to exactly 178, and then reforge for mastery then haste then crit.

I.e. mastery is more important than haste, and haste more important than crit.

You can take that formula and copy-paste it to wowreforge.com and then apply it to your own character.

I also want to allow one to save formulas or pick a formula from a list of user-defined ones; you also will be able to save a formula from your current reforging session and generate a link for it, so that you can paste a formula link in forum response.

Here is my concern. When you are searching for an exact value (e.g. set exp to exactly 178) the calculator will take reforging value into account (e.g. its better to reforge crit->exp, than mastery->exp). Now, it is possible, I think, to have a situation when best reforging might depend on exact stat values.

E.g.

Mastery Weight = 100, Crit Weight = 20
will produce reforging different from
Mastery Weight = 100, Crit Weight = 60
even though mastery > crit in both cases.

Does formula has to include exact stat weights, or is it sufficient to just define relationship.

E.g.

hit>=461,exp=178,mastery>haste>crit
vs
hit>=461,exp=178,mastery:100,haste:80,crit:60

Do you need this feature? Which route should I go? Any other ideas?
Should I call it _formula_ or a _recipe_?

#28 koaschten

koaschten

In the rear with the gear!

• Members
  • 5668 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Its more of a breakpoint, as the stats probably change in value at those points.
How to get an Android Authenticator on your PC. (updated feb'11)

http://goo.gl/fackr

#29 Iol

Iol

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Did a spin on it quick for Protection Paladin. I have a few comments;

It doesn't look like it optimizes for best hit table coverage when working towards being block capped. Theck worked out that if hit or exp rating is less than 60% of the parry or dodge rating on a piece it's better to reforge the parry or dodge to mastery rather than the hit or exp. Doing that will overall grant you more total avoidance, so getting closer to the goal of block cappnig.

I couldn't seem to notice if it considers parry vs dodge totals for diminishing returns, does it? (Also does it check STR/AGI contribution to parry/dodge)

Default stat weight isn't on par with Prot Paladin current trends.

Otherwise good tool, I look foward to the future tweaks.
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

#30 Obstel

Obstel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

just wanna report there is a server Missing -> Malorne (EU)

#31 Twister

Twister

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

I recently reforged my Priest to 1742 Hit/Spirit.

I just wanted to add too issues that i encountered:
  • New Leg enchants are not theated correctly. (Missing Spirit in my case)
  • Chest enchant +X to All stats is missing Spirit in the calculation, but is granted ingame.

#32 Starfox

Starfox

King Hippo

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Is there a way to give a user a link to your site which automatically:
  • Gets the right char
  • Inserts the right stat weightings

For simulationcraft, to perhaps put a link in HTML reports for something like "Click here if you want to optimize your gear through reforging"

Planetary Band - Item - World of Warcraft I got the int/spirit/haste as the random stats and the page doesn't seem to recognise that
Hello.
Light the fuse.
For all my homies.
Do not run, we are your friends.
SimulationCraft Druid Guy

#33 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

For the link, it's easy once you know the id of the realm.
E.g. http://wowreforge.co...Id=477&Spec=Off (or Spec=Main) would bring you my toon on Wrathbringer/EU.
To get the list of id <-> realm, display the source code and look for the <select name="realmId" id="realmId"> entry.

Besides that, we really need a way to save/import the EP values (stat weightings).

Stopped Playing

#34 Starfox

Starfox

King Hippo

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

For the link, it's easy once you know the id of the realm.
E.g. WoW Reforge Calculator (or Spec=Main) would bring you my toon on Wrathbringer/EU.
To get the list of id <-> realm, display the source code and look for the <select name="realmId" id="realmId"> entry.

Besides that, we really need a way to save/import the EP values (stat weightings).

Oh, so right now we can't pass the weightings through the link? Hope this gets implemented soon :)
Hello.
Light the fuse.
For all my homies.

#35 jizzi

jizzi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

I have added "include stat weights into the link" to the uservoice features list. Thank you for your concern.

#36 Starfox

Starfox

King Hippo

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Just to note, the balance druid stat weightings are way off.
Used simulationcraft to get mine, spirit==hit for druid (only 2%o off, not that bad o; )
[table="heade]|crit|haste|hit|mastery|spirit
Wowreforge|43|54|100|100|22
My Druid|0.7364|1.0622|1.5211|0.6182|1.5183
Normalized|48.4|69.8|100|40.6|100
[/table]
Crit ain't that bad, haste is icky, but mastery/spirit really hurts with those default values
Hello.
Light the fuse.
For all my homies.

#37 Avitus

Avitus

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

I've been trying out wowreforge.com and I think I've found a deficiency in the algorithm being used. I've noticed that it tries too hard to get to the exact number (despite "close to" being selected) even if a less efficient reforge, which wastes a few stat points over the selected caps, is effectively superior.

Let me preface this by saying the example I'm giving is incredibly trivial (1 point difference), but the issue remains that it could be a higher difference in another example and what's the point of running a 10 minute reforge script if better results can be achieved by 2 minutes of in-game trial and error reforging ;)

Example:

I play a Human Ret Paladin, my caps after glyph and racial expertise bonus are (960.872) ~961 hit rating and (390.3536) ~391 expertise rating.

Setting the reforge to achieve "close to" 961 hit/391 exp gave the following result: WoW Reforge Calculator

It hits the exact caps and the remaining stats are:

Crit: 1220 * 0.96 = 1171.2
Haste: 841 * 0.80 = 672.8
Mastery: 1407 * 1.01 = 1421.07
3468 rating -> 3265.07 effective worth

I did notice however that it reforged away Crit instead of Haste on my [Reinforced Sapphirium Battleplate]. As you can see from the stat weights, Haste is currently the black sheep of the Ret stat lineup and should be axed where possible, so I tried a manual trial and error reforge which includes reforging away from all Haste and found the following result:

Hit: 964 (3 rating wasted)
Exp: 398 (7 rating wasted)
---
Crit: 1359 * 0.96 = 1304.64
Haste: 755 * 0.80 = 604
Mastery: 1344 * 1.01 = 1357.44
3458 rating -> 3266.08 effective worth

As you can see, even though I'm wasting 10 stats, the remaining stats are worth more. For posterity/in case I change my gear, the reforge I use is:

Spoiler

I assume wowreforge uses some form of recursive algorithm to achieve its results? There needs to be an iteration added where it compares the value of "a reforge that minimizes inferior stats, but includes wasted stats" (my result) to "a reforge that has no wasted stats, but might be leaving inferior stats unchanged on some items" (wowreforge result). You could optimize this addition by making this comparison only run when the results include an item which has 2 stats has the superior stat reforged away instead of the inferior one.

On a completely unrelated note: Is it possible to make the reforge script run on more than one processor core, or is this a limited by the browser?

Keep up the good work!

#38 Nisall

Nisall

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

Avitus, there an option to lock certain items so they don't get reforged. Using that on the breastplate I get the following result

Setting exact hit and exp caps I get
WoW reforge suggested result

then I reforged all the items that were untouched resulting
All haste reforged.

which nets me 3284.33 effective worth.

#39 Avitus

Avitus

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

which nets me 3284.33 effective worth.

Nice, good work. Better result aside however, the goal here is/I'm actually more interested in fixing the wowreforge algorithm than getting a better individual result.

As your result further proves, there's something ineffective going on when you don't manually tinker, there's room for improvement.

#40 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

As far as I know, wowreforge.com doesn't use an exhaustive search for the best combination of reforges, but rather stays within close limits of what you've chosen.
There has been tremendous progress in the rogue community regarding reforging tools, maybe some sort of cooperation could be beneficial.

http://elitistjerks...._reforger_tool/
http://elitistjerks....ing_calculator/

Stopped Playing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users