• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Groglox

Groglox

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

Anyone know if there is a way to see what addons are using more/the most resources? I recently had to disable addons to fix a bugged login, and the difference in performance upon logging in was astounding. I really wasn't used to it, and now that i have had a taste I want more!

#2 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

Warmup

found on files.wowace.com
Raiding is full of challenge. Sometimes there is fire.

You have not to move out of the fire, it will be nerfed soon.

#3 Maestroquark

Maestroquark

What Would You Have Me Do?

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

Anyone know if there is a way to see what addons are using more/the most resources? I recently had to disable addons to fix a bugged login, and the difference in performance upon logging in was astounding. I really wasn't used to it, and now that i have had a taste I want more!

The profiling options right now are pretty weak. It's mostly comparing an addon running to that addon not running. The proliferation of Ace addons makes it more difficult, as 15 different addons might be abusing the same line of code in one library loaded separately.

In 2.1, there will be much more extensive profiling options for both memory (enabled by default) and cpu (disabled by default) usage by individual addons. I'll be doing a complete overview of my addons when I get the time in the post 2.1 world; for now, I'll just accept that my loading time (but nothing else, really) is slower than it should be.

#4 Groglox

Groglox

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

Warmup

Is the load time directly proportional to in-game resource usage?

#5 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Is the load time directly proportional to in-game resource usage?

I would guestimate no. There are mods that don't have 'huge' startup time/mem-usage but accelerates insanely much due to syncing/parsing addonmsgs/data arrays etc. A good example would be SW Stats that isnt to bad at start but can eat tons of mem/resources thanks to msg parsing and data stored.

Running on a crappy comp I've isolated most of my lag/performance issues to addons/settings that stores data or parses addonmsgs/syncs.

#6 Groglox

Groglox

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

Mods used:
Ace2
ag_UnitFrames
AltClicktoAddItem
Atlas
Atlasloot
Automaton
Bartender 3
cgCrafty
Clearfont2
Cosplay
Cryolysis
DeadlyBossMods
Damage Meters
Deuce Commander
ElkBuffBar
Errormonster
Grid
Itemrack
KLHThreatmeter
MobHealth
OminousCastingBar
Rating Buster
sct
SimpleCombatLog
simpleMinimap
Skinner
XLoot

Any idea which ones would cause the most load then?

#7 Cryect

Cryect

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

Get KLHPerformanceMeter for ingame actual performance. Warmup is only good for determining load time stuff which still makes it useful.

#8 dukes

dukes

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Warmup

Actually you'll have to grab it off Curse. It was never released directly on WoWAce because of having to be loaded first (with the !! pre-cursor) or something like that.

#9 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

Unsure, but here are a few comments on the stuff I recognized. With Warmup you can determine your total mem-usage and set your memory accordingly. Might also be usefull getting a mod like PerformanceFu (what I use) to force garbage dumps.

Atlas & Atlastloot - Was a long time since I used these, but as far as I remember the loot and map occupies some mem with its database. It should be static so it won't increase during gameplay.

DeadlyBossMods - I'm yet to discover an encounter in TBC where this mod actually is needed... but thats my personal view tho :>

Damage Meters - If it syncs thru a addonchannel it can eat performance during raids etc. I'm using the mod-version of Recap to see if that is less consuming. I've used SW Stats before and I just can't run it due to its excessive mem/cpu use.

Deuce Commander - Seems like a heap of junk. I don't like mod-packages like these because it usually means getting mods you don't really need. I would recommend removing it and if a need for a certain mod arises - find a single one that solves your task. Might take you a good time extra - but gives you increased control.

KLHThreatmeter - Never used this mod, but from what I have read it dishes out alot of msg's thru the addonchannel. Inconjuction with perhaps another mod that sends addonmsgs this might give alot of data to parse during raids.

XLoot - Had it once, sure it looks good but doesn't really do anything that I couldn't handle with original UI. Just takes mem.

#10 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

Dukes: True! It was on wowace before, but I now see that it isn't any longer.

#11 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

KLHPerformanceMeter or TekSupport can give you estimations of runtime and memory usage for mods.

When 2.1 hits, profiling is going to be supported in the UI to a much greater extent.
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

#12 Shadowed

Shadowed

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

What Praanz said is pretty much correct, just because it takes an extra 10-30 seconds to load into the game doesn't mean that you're going to be taking a performance hit during your entire play, it shouldn't really effect zone loading (of course depending on the mods) that much since everythings already been loaded when you first logged in.

If you like an addon you should use it and not worry about performance that much unless you're really noticing an effect on game play, and also remember that just because it's an Ace2 mod doesn't mean it's better.

#13 Miaxi

Miaxi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Deuce Commander - Seems like a heap of junk. I don't like mod-packages like these because it usually means getting mods you don't really need. I would recommend removing it and if a need for a certain mod arises - find a single one that solves your task. Might take you a good time extra - but gives you increased control.

DC simply converts slash commands of all running ace2 mods into a FuBar dewdrop menu. It's just a configuration tool.

#14 dodga

dodga

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:36 AM

My guess would be that KLHThreatmeter and Damage Meters have the greatest impact on FPS during raid encounters.
This is due to sending a lot of local events (e.g. your damage/healing done) and parsing remote events (e.g. your raids damage/healing).

May I ask what you're trying to do?
Improving your performance could be achieved by
- toning down your graphic details and especially "Terrain Distance"
- stopping any other processes besides WoW (browser, ICQ and whatnot)

You should also always update your addons to the latest versions; e.g. GridStatusHots was a real CPU killer a couple of versions ago.

Deuce Commander - Seems like a heap of junk. I don't like mod-packages like these...

Please don't write stuff like that. No offense intended, but you could at least try to find out what it really does before you give such an uninformed statement.
As Miaxi already said, DeuceCommander is a graphical interface to the slash commands of Ace mods. It surely does not take up lots of memory or performance.
If you're really concerned you can disable it when you're done configuring your addons.
remember my name - you'll scream it later

#15 Ragnor

Ragnor

King Hippo

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:38 AM

If you use alot of ace mods you need to realize they are largely "beta" mods in constant development. Quality varies alot even for the same mod week to week. You can also gain back some loading time by downloading them all without externals and using the standalone libraries.

All of these parse alot of data and will cause slow downs on a slower computer:

SimpleCombatLog
DamageMeter
KTMThreatMeter
DeadlyBossMods

Do you really need them?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

www.retpaladin.com

#16 Dakous

Dakous

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

My guess would be that KLHThreatmeter and Damage Meters have the greatest impact on FPS during raid encounters.

I was actually thinking along the OP's thoughts - startup is unbearably slow, and long play sessions would result in alt-tab going from "smooth" to "suck".

I was digging around doing voodoo that probably has no effect when I was going through SavedVars\ and... in a directory where most files are ~10kb (and that's rounding up.. a *lot*), SW_Stats has a 1.6 megabyte saved variable lua. Now, it's true that file size, performance, and runtime memory usage aren't necessarily correlated - a very small addon with no saved variables can easily just go through every byte of memory tossing a "1" in there, for example - but I gotta think that's a MASSIVE contributor.

Turned that off, and I guess the followup question is - does anyone have a sleek, minimalist damage meter addon that ONLY tracks a handful of stats (damage, and healing in any combination of raw, over, real) for party (raid) members ONLY? Reading through the LUA, I understand that there's simply no way to keep the level of information and meaningfully compact it, so I'm happy to lose information. I don't care if someone shadowbolted 10 times anymore versus incinerated, or what. The event parsing in combat is not a slowdown. It's startup, and accumulation.

I also think the difference with Pitbull's frame recycling vs. agUF has gotten rid of my "alt tabbing after a long play session" issue.

Also, has the verdict changed on using !!!StandAloneLibs or not?
Everybody is your brother until the rent comes due.

#17 RK

RK

Such a Cassandra

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:33 AM

Turned that off, and I guess the followup question is - does anyone have a sleek, minimalist damage meter addon that ONLY tracks a handful of stats

MinnaStats.

It has a cute picture of a dog, but other than that its pretty minimalist and anecdotally I'm willing to say I couldn't notice it causing me any extra slowdown when I added it to my addons list.

#18 chuckg

chuckg

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

I also think the difference with Pitbull's frame recycling vs. agUF has gotten rid of my "alt tabbing after a long play session" issue.

The overall 'hit' to your performance between using PitBull and agUF is probably so insignificant (especially if you're not using the raid frames) that it's not something I doubt very many would notice. Although it's written with performance in mind, there is probably a point where the same amount of frames are in use by both addons, especially in long sessions without a relog or reloadui. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, if you want to keep with the "Ace2" tradition, Violation is the lightweight minimal data equivalent of DamageMeters. It does, however, require that each user have it running for their data to be tracked.

#19 Chicken

Chicken

 

• Moderators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

On the subject of loading times and using or not using stand-alone libraries, this thread over on the Ace forums is pretty interesting in that regard.

To summarize: By default using the stand-alone libraries doesn't really provide as much of a loading time increase as you might expect, because WoW tries to load a whole bunch of files that don't exist, causing some slow down as the .toc's refer to the embedded libraries. Later posts in the thread have a Python script which goes through your addons folder and which comments out any non-existing files in the .toc.

I've personally found that doing so really makes a noticeable change to your loading times.

#20 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

I'm a big fan of warmup + KLHP when I need to figure out which mod is causing a specific issue. 2.1 should be a huge boon, though. Maybe I can finally get my girlfriends computer to stop grinding to a halt. I think, though, that her problem is with video drivers. The NVidia control panel errors when I try to run it; clean install or no. I should see if I can get a her a good copy of XP, that might help,...
See you, auntie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users