• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Dakous

Dakous

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

The overall 'hit' to your performance between using PitBull and agUF is probably so insignificant (especially if you're not using the raid frames) that it's not something I doubt very many would notice.

If I was unclear, then my apologies. I'm talking about grotesquely long play sessions that are definately edge case (although combinations of circumstances can speed this up to merely "profanely" long play sessions). Reloadui doesn't seem to clean up, though - a relog does. My voodoo explanation being that something is being allocated, tucked away, and never properly cleaned up.

In everyday usage, I don't think anyone would notice either. But I did, and it was either that, or SW_Stats, so.

Also, if you want to keep with the "Ace2" tradition, Violation is the lightweight minimal data equivalent of DamageMeters. It does, however, require that each user have it running for their data to be tracked.

That does sound like what I want (Player=damage, done!), with the small exception of everyone having to have it. I'm going to give Minnastats a try. At this point, I'm not interested in micromanaging or dissecting or anything. I just want to know, "Hey, $pug_warlock is doing less damage then my lacerate spam. FIRED."
Everybody is your brother until the rent comes due.

#22 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

I'm a big fan of warmup + KLHP when I need to figure out which mod is causing a specific issue. 2.1 should be a huge boon, though. Maybe I can finally get my girlfriends computer to stop grinding to a halt. I think, though, that her problem is with video drivers. The NVidia control panel errors when I try to run it; clean install or no. I should see if I can get a her a good copy of XP, that might help,...

Setting your max UI memory to 0 and running /script collectgarbage("setpause", 110) after every login will give you GC fairly close to how it'll be done in 2.1. The main cause of GC-related freezes now is having the UI max memory under twice as high as the initial memory, resulting in the incremental GC threshold never being hit.

#23 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Setting your max UI memory to 0 and running /script collectgarbage("setpause", 110) after every login will give you GC fairly close to how it'll be done in 2.1. The main cause of GC-related freezes now is having the UI max memory under twice as high as the initial memory, resulting in the incremental GC threshold never being hit.

Hm, that might actually help her out. Initially I was referring to the per-addon usage statistic that we'll have available, but this is good info. I knew about setting UI mem to 0, but hadn't considered how it might be related to the performance issues. Thanks :)
See you, auntie.

#24 Kenco

Kenco

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

My guess would be that KLHThreatmeter and Damage Meters have the greatest impact on FPS during raid encounters.
This is due to sending a lot of local events (e.g. your damage/healing done) and parsing remote events (e.g. your raids damage/healing).

You'd be surprised. Data from tonight's raid: KTM spend 2.0% of it's processor time parsing combat log events. As long as you don't make any algorithmic blunders, you could easily parse 1000 combat long strings a second without noticing a change in performance, which is far more than is needed.

#25 dodga

dodga

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

You'd be surprised. Data from tonight's raid: KTM spend 2.0% of it's processor time parsing combat log events. As long as you don't make any algorithmic blunders, you could easily parse 1000 combat long strings a second without noticing a change in performance, which is far more than is needed.

May I ask how you measured this? I'd like to see what numbers I get over here :D
remember my name - you'll scream it later

#26 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

May I ask how you measured this? I'd like to see what numbers I get over here :D

KLH Performance Monitor, I'd bet ;)
http://www-en.curse-...ormancemonitor/
See you, auntie.

#27 souja

souja

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

PerformanceFu (requires Fubar) is a handy day-to-day tool for monitoring your UI space. It's a running display of your FPS, memory usage and increasing rate.

Instead of deciding if a mod is good/bad because of the size (barring the poorly written or buggy mod), as a general rule I find it easier to figure out a threshold of UI memory usage that I am comfortable with and try to limit myself to the number of addons that fit within that threshold. There are some addons that are relatively "heavy", like ArkInventory, that I will always find space in my UI for.

Also, everyone's threshold of performance-to-usability is different... aside from personal preferences, things such as hardware and latency also impact the user experience. For example, my new machine (core duo, crossfire, blah blah) can handle many more addons than my old one.

#28 Kenco

Kenco

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

That was just with the command
/ktm test time

All the combat event parsing is done in the <regex> module, so have a look for <regex> in the <onevent> section. It's a bit messy and might require you to expand your main chatframe to read properly.

#29 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

KLH Performance Monitor causes an error in one of the ace libraries for me, thus preventing bartender from working correctly.
Drove me mad in an alterac game, where I had to retreat from a level 65 paladin when capping the frostwolf towers, because my action bars didn't change correctly when dropping out of stealth after engaging him.
Had to run away, restealth and unstealth manually several times. :|

Stopped Playing

#30 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

KLH Performance Monitor causes an error in one of the ace libraries for me, thus preventing bartender from working correctly.
Drove me mad in an alterac game, where I had to retreat from a level 65 paladin when capping the frostwolf towers, because my action bars didn't change correctly when dropping out of stealth after engaging him.
Had to run away, restealth and unstealth manually several times. :|

TekSupport is an alternate option to KLH Perf Monitor which is well-integrated with Ace.
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users