• This topic is locked This topic is locked
875 replies to this topic

#861 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

I play very Shield heavy in 10m Rag Heroic. Everyone's too spread besides Seed phases to make PoH useful. Here's my normal timeline on Rag:

Phase 1: When first trap is coming down: Pop PI Shard and Jaws, go into Inner Will, and Shield the entire raid. I usually dont have the ability to do it for the next trap but I make sure the 2 tanks are Shielded for the double trap. Then when popping the last trap before Sons Phase I pre-shield everyone in range that I have time to do.

P2: I usually don't Pre-Shield on this Seed phase, but will do it if I'm running very well on mana. As I time my second Fiend for the 2nd Intermission, if I'm running 70%+ mana during the last Seed phase sometimes I'll Pre-shield just because I can.

Intermission 2: Try to Pre-Shield the tank on my side and anyone there. I use PI/Jaws/Shard when everyone's gathered up DPSing the Scions and eating Lava Bolts. PoH is best here but Shield is wonderful triage when people take a few bolts in a row and are in danger of dying from another.

P3: Shield not necessary here, usually DPS or tank heal depending on side.

P4: I pop PI/Jaws/Shard again about 10s before the First Breath of Frost comes out and Shield everyone in the raid to deal with the first stacks of Superheated. After that Shield is regularly used on people running into Breaths with high Superheated stacks. I can't even begin to say how many people's lives I've saved with a quick Shield to eat a last tick of Supreheated that would have killed them before they got into the Breathe.

Of course throughout the fight I'm throwing Shields on the tank everytime Rapture cd is up.

Shield usually comes out to about 30% of my healing on Rag, more if I'm healing with a Paladin. I've healed it with both a Pally and Druid and done both tank and raid healing roles. here is a recent WoL of one of our 10m Heroic kills with my breakdowns.

#862 Koilie

Koilie

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

I have jaws macro'd to PoH and also on a keybind, but I will generally just let it go off with a PoH every time its up and just accept whatever stacks I get as a bonus.

As for shielding heavily on Rag 25 HC, especially post nerf I really haven't seen the need even during spreads in intermission. I have a haste heavy build with goblin racial and I solo heal right side / melee side during P1 and I solo heal right side intermissions using G heal until people begin to gravitate toward the hammer then I switch to PoH. I use grid and grid status priest aoe so I know when its optimal to cast PoH. with 2s Gheals and PoH plus available PI and shard I rarely find the need to shield someone in order to prevent the next splash of lava bolts from killing them. Any one who is low with bolts coming can generally be saved with a penance and of course shield is available as a last resort. With less bolts per volley and only 1 less healer for 10 man I can't really see a need for excessive shielding. Play style adjustment can be rough though so even if you did try my way there's a chance it would seem like it was sub-optimal.
Once you go Priest... | L2Ptv Raid and Class Video Guides | YouTube Channel | Live Stream

#863 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

The Shields almost always get used up even if they're not necessary to save the person's life immediately, they provide a buffer just in case while still providing solid absorption for the next round if not. As long as the Shields are being eaten by later volleys its still the most efficent and powerful spell we have per GCD when people aren't stacked up, so its not like there's a downside to using it if you have mana. I run a mastery heavy setup for Heroic Rag as well.

As mentioned though, Shield is simply used for triage in the intermissions. Where it really shines is P4, but I do have the mana and therefore do use it to setup prior to Traps and Seed explosions.

#864 Vraie

Vraie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Macroing Jaws into any cast is a huge waste if you're looking to take advantage of the mana reduction

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I use penance for a stack x2 at the start of jaws and then hit IF/IW until 10 unless I messed up my timing or an emergency comes up; I'll usually throw a shield in prior to penance and when BT is fading so I keep the haste up for the GCD's

Haven't tested using Inner Focus for a stack yet either, but if it's up, that might be a good idea; PI and Shard are still good ways to cap GCD; really just takes some pre-planning on a per fight basis

#865 Vintoran

Vintoran

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

JoD stacks have a short ICD (0.5 seconds or so, haven't tested that), so you can't use Inner Focus or PI (effectively) to gain extra stacks. That also means that an instant cast following a cast won't give you a stack, which sucks.

I think it's not a very good idea to artificially raise stacks without benefiting from the casts used. For example: If you use Penance to gain the first 2 stacks and then IF/IW up to 10, you'll have used up the first 10 seconds of the trinket without actually saving any mana at all and doing no healing.

Assuming you have 50% haste, 3/3 MA and cast in IF, a gcd of 1, a long cast (GH, PoH) of 1.7, a Penance for 1.3 and a short cast (BH, FH) of 1 second (ignoring BT for the moment):

Sample sequence with IF/IW stacking
0.0 trinket, Penance -> 2 stacks
1.3 IF/IW -> 3
2.3 IF/IW -> 4
3.3 IF/IW -> 5
4.3 IF/IW -> 6
5.3 IF/IW -> 7
6.3 IF/IW -> 8
7.3 IF/IW -> 9
8.3 IF/IW -> 10
9.3 gcd, 1063 mana saved
10.3 Penance, 1250
11.6 long cast, 1250
13.3 gcd, 1063
14.3 long cast, 1250
16.0 short cast, 1250
17.0 long cast, 1250
18.7 short cast, 1250
20.0 Penance, 1250
total of 10876

Sample sequence without IF/IW stacking:
0.0 trinket, gcd -> 1
1.0 Penance -> 3, 125 mana saved
2.3 long cast -> 4, 375
4.0 long cast -> 5, 500
5.7 gcd -> 5, 425
6.7 short cast -> 6, 625
8.0 long cast -> 7, 750
9.7 Penance -> 9, 875
11.0 gcd -> 9, 956
12.0 short cast -> 10, 1125
13.3 long cast, 1250
15.0 gcd, 1063
16.0 short cast, 1250
17.3 long cast, 1250
19.0 gcd, 1063
20.0 long cast, 1250
total of 12882

I know that the sequences and assumptions are probably heavily biased and that you'd have no trouble coming up with equally looking ones where the IF/IW stacking method comes out ahead, but my point is: It's not a huge advantage in mana gain (if even at all) to do so and you sacrifice 8-12 seconds of healing.

It's still a very neat trick if you use the trinket and notice "Crap, now I really don't need to heal anything" or probably even for a special case (power trinket up and preshield 10 people), but I don't think it's really worth doing every time.
Mancher wird nie süss, er fault im Sommer schon. Feigheit ist es, die ihn an seinem Aste festhält.

#866 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Is anyone planning on keeping Jaws of Defeat in 4.3?

If I did replace my Jaws it would probably be with Windward Heart.. but I'm just not sold on the proc from that trinket.

#867 Kimano

Kimano

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'll almost certainly be moving to two new int trinkets (probably proc haste (ugh) and windward heart). Disc doesn't really have any mana issues anyway, and the Int increase is too good to pass up.

There is a non-zero chance that I'll keep jaws around for the longer, more mana intensive fights though (Ultraxion, Spine).

#868 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

Hmm with the changes to Heart of Unliving, keeping around JoD suddenly sounds much less important. Yay for a healing trinket that doesn't suck and isn't random. If you don't know what I am talking about, Heart of Unliving now has static Intellect on it *and* stacking spirit.

#869 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. The stacking spirit is more or less up 100% of the time so it's not "random" if that's what you're implying.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#870 Zaq

Zaq

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I don't know what you're talking about. The stacking spirit is more or less up 100% of the time so it's not "random" if that's what you're implying.

That's the point, Heart of the Unliving neither sucks nor is random. Something you can't say for a huge swath of healing trinket choices. So long as you can utilize the mana, or the stat points it represents, it's pretty nice. (Vs say the Eye of Blazing RandomOverhealingPets from FL).
"I have nothing personally invested in my own opinions. I'm just, like, inviting you to join me on the bandwagon of my own uncertainty." -Taylor Mali

#871 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Ah I See. Taken that way you have a valid point. It's actually something that frustrates me with the otherwise amazing Maw of the Dragonlord - Item - World of Warcraft

Oh look it procced right before the shatter and just overhealed everyone and won't be able to proc again for another 20 seconds. Interesting though. There's about 4 people in my raid with various versions of it (normal mode/LFR) and the healing varies wildly depending on how lucky we are with when it procs.

In one case I had 2% healing from it on Yor'sahj while a fellow guildie got roughly 13% while our overall numbers were otherwise close. Hmm. We should probably start making a thread somewhere to discuss the various trinkets/weapons.

For what it's worth, I can confirm Maw of the Dragonlord - Item - World of Warcraft has a 12 yard radius out and it heals EVERYONE including pets and temporary pets like the secondary warlock imps and mirror images.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#872 Neferneith

Neferneith

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Tracking the internal Cd of Maw od the DragonLord could help prevent wasted procs (while running or facing away from the raid due to penance auto aim).
But tracking this kind of ICD is quite hard. It was the same problem with rapture and before Ingelas Rapture addon, I had to estimate the 12s ICD.
Knowing the ID of the proc would help but wowhead provides no help on this side.

------
Things I've noticed about the Maw
15 second ICD
Same healing area as paladin's Light of Dawn
No target limit
Can proc for PW:S (glyphed), Renew and PoM (and every direct heal of course)
Can crit

#873 MagicHobosUnite

MagicHobosUnite

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Disc priest are extremely useful to have when doing DS. IMO their cooldowns are almost needed for some of the H mode fights. The reason why they are not the best MT healers is because it is hard to keep the tank up and utilize all of their other cooldowns. Holy Pallys are great raid heals, but Holy Radiance 3 times >>> 3 charge Light of Dawn works the best when people are stacked. Yes some fights are REALLY good for them to raid heal, but some fights (like the Warmaster) are not so good. Due to the fact that they can beacon the MT and spam heal other DPS they do make really good tank heals in all situations (Thats just my two cents on everything ppl have said above on Pallys). On my disc priest I use the prime glyphs; PW: Shield, PW: Barrier, and Prayer of Healing. The major glyphs; Divine Accuracy, Smite, and Dispell Magic. I roll a 33/8/0 build, and in most cases I smite heal unless the situation calls for something else. Usually the prime glyph Penance is suggested, but smiting already reduces its CD so I don't worry about an extra 2 seconds. The major glyph Dispell Magic is there simply because I single target dispell people on Warlord Zon, so I might as well heal them 3% of the HP in the process. IMO this build takes advantage of all Disc priests have to offer in most situations (the only thing to consider is smite healing is REALLY hard when your other healers are weak). And to answer another question; IW if you plan on moving (or you are undergeared an OOM fast), IF in all other situations.

#874 Physiq

Physiq

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi there
I have now progressed to Spine HC 10-man and last night was pretty much solo dispelling and trying to heal people up, but I find myself going oom about the time where our first plate comes of.
Here is my gear and build as it was last night build
I try and smite heal as much as i can but I find it little bit hard with all the target switching in this fight.
My fellow healers where a Hpally and a shammy. Our pally was "fine" on mana but our shammy had to TC after every tendon up phase to keep his mana up. My self I tried to get rapture every time possible and use my fiend for the second up phase on the tendon.
I hope you guys can help my out.

#875 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

I hope I will be able to help you but since we stopped raiding a few weeks ago and our spine firstkill was before the 5% nerf came out my memories might not be the freshest, so some timings may be slightly different.

Depending on the fight length, you could specc for 1 minute less shadow fiend cooldown if it allows you to get another one out, which should be more valueable than 2% haste given that you are struggeling with mana.
I healed with the same setup for progression and our mana cds were something like: tide on cooldown, fiend on first lift, and either on 2nd or 3rd another fiend, sometimes with hoh, sometimes hymn solo or together with a shadowfiends hymn.

Since I was the main dispeller myself I can recommend to switch to inner will for the beginning of the fight and everytime a plate comes off since you will push that dispell button somewhere between 10-30 times each, depending on how lucky/unlucky you get with bounces.

The other parts of the fight I was mostly in inner fire and dpsing the amalg, not much target switching except for the first 2 amalgs where we had to wait for enough bloods to spawn. This may not result in the greatest hps but always was enough for us, since you wont have grace up on most searing targets anyways and penance cd, even with glyph, is not low enough to get grace3 up on everyone who gets the debuff. I used aa mostly before the amalg got killed to boost my pohs, because both the heal and shield will be needed.

Lifegrip may have saved a life or two (rogue gets gripped while still building cp on the exploding amalg and couldnt press cloak in time, always have an eye out for him) and shields only for rupture on the tank or on people who get gripped with debuff or still have a debuff on when the amalg explodes.

Hope this somewhat helps you, if you would like to hear more/see a vid of our firstkill, just pm me.
There are only 10 types of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

#876 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,255 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Because the Mists patch comes out tomorrow, this information is now obsolete and the thread will be closed. For the time being post questions in the MoP thread(s). New compendium posts will be coming as Mists itself gets into release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users