• This topic is locked This topic is locked
654 replies to this topic

#641 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Lightwell gains an extra tick only via haste rating. Heroism, Power Infusion and spell/talents don't affect it's calculation. 2130 haste rating is required.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#642 Oestrus

Oestrus

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Are you sure that hymn of hope gave you only 4 ticks at 12.5%? I'm getting 5 at 13.15% character sheet haste, which matches the theoretical breakpoint for a 4 tick spell.

At the time I tested it, I had 1707 Haste, without any raid buffs or procs from gear. With that amount of Haste, I had only 4 ticks per person from Hymn of Hope.
Creator of The Stories of O

Co-host of the Double O Podcast

#643 Nanyana

Nanyana

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm wondering if people could shed some light on the next matter. After alot of raiding with both sets (T12 and T13 all pieces) I find the 4p setbonus of T13 almost a waste of time. The increased intelect is usefull, but the longer duration of the holy word ability doesn't seem to way heavier to the 2% manaregen I get from the 2p of T12. Mana is an issue for me in the progress fight we do. (Ultraxion) I know that the 4p of T13 is nice there because you can keep sanctuary up almost the entire fight, but I get OOM going into the last phase of that fight if I don't keep the T12 2p setbonus. I now raid with both 2p setbonusses.

(I heal that fight with a paladin. I get the first buff, he takes second and third)

Isn't it weird that disc gets an extra regenpossibility while holy doesn't. Or am I missing something?

#644 Szeretlek

Szeretlek

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Isn't it weird that disc gets an extra regenpossibility while holy doesn't. Or am I missing something?

It isnt weird, cause as holy you just get that regen (as 80% of spirit regen) and SFiend of course. Thats the lazy way.
In contrary Disc dont get any regen until he actually do something. And the more skilled player actually plays disc priest the more mana regen you got.

I calculated my mana regen as Disc at Madness HM. Through over fight my average mana regen for 15min fight was 10.200 mp5. Holy just cant bring those kind of numbers.

#645 Oestrus

Oestrus

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

The thing about Ultraxion is that you shouldn't need to keep Sanctuary up the entire fight. It is very common for people to go all out with the healing during the first minute or two of the pull and you really shouldn't have to start going full throttle until the gems start to come out. So my first suggestion would be to look at how much healing you are doing right off the bat and see if you are healing harder or more than you need to be.

Second - I notice that you have the glyph of CoH, which is interesting because I took that glyph out when I did this fight on 10m. If you are using that spell a lot on 10m, that could be another reason that you are having such troubles with your mana.

Overall, you have a high enough quality of gear where you really should not be having any mana issues unless you are doing too much or the other healer is not doing enough. It could also be your DPS. If the DPS is dying early or not doing enough damage this will cause the fight to last longer, which means more healing will need to go out, and eventually nobody can keep up with that.

#646 Richelieu

Richelieu

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

One thing concerns me about the newly-updated MoP talent calculator. This is the first update since 4.3 gave us Heavenly Voice. Yet the calculator's tooltip for Divine Hymn (which will become a holy-priest-only spell) shows it as having the CD and output of Divine Hymn without Heavenly Voice, and the updated MoP talents have no Heavenly Voice option. I sure hope the tooltip is wrong, and that Heavenly Voice is intended to be "baked in" to Divine Hymn in MoP.

EDIT: Blizzard community manager Kaivax made a post some minutes ago that may address this:

If you don’t see a favorite spell or mechanic as a class ability, spec ability or talent, then there is a good chance it is becoming a glyph.

#647 Oestrus

Oestrus

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Has anyone else noticed that CoH has sort of gone down in efficiency, with the start of Heroic modes? I used to use it pretty much on cooldown, along with other spells in my toolbox, and now it seems like a lot of fights favor straight PoH spam. Even when I try to weave CoH in with the fights that require PoH spam, I feel like doing so causes a decrease in healing, rather than an increase. I realize that it's not about topping the meters or anything, but I certainly want to do what is most efficient and will keep people up the best.

What does everyone else think about this? Have you been able to find a place for CoH in any of the Heroic modes, or has it fallen by the wayside in favor of strict PoH usage?

#648 Vraie

Vraie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

The only reason it has 'gone down' in efficiency is because it has a lower base and a lower coeff than PoH, meaning your PoH is scaling better with better gear.

Still stands that CoH is instant, smart, heals 6 people.

So yes it makes sense you are not casting it as often.

#649 Nanyana

Nanyana

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

What does everyone else think about this? Have you been able to find a place for CoH in any of the Heroic modes, or has it fallen by the wayside in favor of strict PoH usage?

I'm still using CoH, because it's a smart heal, but I agree that it's use isn't as great as it was before. Because of alot of damage being static throughout the raid (everyone getting about the same damage) I have lots of moments in which I just chain PoH's. Also as holy being able to do the 2 BH's or FH's with a PoH after that, CoH is sometimes less usefull. In 10 man I have lots of stress situations in which I BH 2 people in my own group and then PoH the other group.

The only way for Blizzard to get CoH back to a priority heal, is if they make PoH a bit more powerfull and/or make damage be less the same on all the people in the raid. It's almost a travisty that CoH is so useless you can't use it on a purple ooze during Yor'Sahj. Getting a stack with such few healing is just a waste of a healtick.

#650 Tunga

Tunga

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

I don't know if anyone cares but for some reason the additional ticks from Haste do not appear at exactly the same point for Renew and Hymn. Renew gets a fifth tick at 1182, but Hymn requires 1184. If you sit exactly on a rollover point, it might be worth checking your tooltips to see that you're actually getting five ticks on both.

#651 Clubberwang

Clubberwang

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm still using CoH, because it's a smart heal, but I agree that it's use isn't as great as it was before. Because of alot of damage being static throughout the raid (everyone getting about the same damage) I have lots of moments in which I just chain PoH's. Also as holy being able to do the 2 BH's or FH's with a PoH after that, CoH is sometimes less usefull. In 10 man I have lots of stress situations in which I BH 2 people in my own group and then PoH the other group.

The only way for Blizzard to get CoH back to a priority heal, is if they make PoH a bit more powerfull and/or make damage be less the same on all the people in the raid. It's almost a travisty that CoH is so useless you can't use it on a purple ooze during Yor'Sahj. Getting a stack with such few healing is just a waste of a healtick.

I am not using BH I use CoH over it because I get a renew on tank that holds up for dps to benefit more from PoH.AoE is Holy's best advantage in 10 mans..I won't compare specs because I like disc too.But playstyle is where it's at.I find that BH is useless when focus PoH get's a crit from CoH and renew.Flash heal is also nono for best healing find the time to cast GH greater heal crits twice over FH.FH is only for fast cast needs low hp is recovered faster with GH try CoH before PoH and target same target with PoH if it's tank your PoM let's you breathe easier to cast GH.CoH is necessary BC instant and less mana waste trying to spam PoH or FH.Use renew and CoH right after PoM jumps first target.I found time to get 65k from GH over 50k FH crits and dps is easier to get up with FH and CoH provided the tank GTFO and keeps aggro.Renew(always on tank) AoE CoH pop renew on lower target hp PoH when PoM jumps and don't use FH on tank (depending what chakra you use)Serindipity for me on boss fights like the hour glass one.FH is emergency when u can't heal a 10 k hp player with GH because cast time is longer.CoH is a utility for me not a main heal with Mastery as holy it acts like renew making it easy to keep dps up.Gh counts as 2 FH if u do it right.But I agree if ur focus is on distant ooze or enemy it won't work so use it as an AoE renew on Party even though I get 25 k crit from CoH and 15k second highest.While echo of light is still active keep PoM up and tell them to use LW 20-30 seconds before it expires so cast time isn't inhibited.

#652 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

B&S is useful for Frostflake in Hagara, but I agree that's about it. Really you should be Disc for every other fight anyways.

Veiled Shadows is absolutely an essential talent for Spine and Madness Heroic, which both are long fights with opportunities to fit another Shadowfiend in. But again, you probably should be Disc for those fights.

#653 onceler21

onceler21

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

B&S is useful for Frostflake in Hagara, but I agree that's about it. Really you should be Disc for every other fight anyways.

There is at least one use for B&S in every fight - even Ultraxion! And holy is a good choice in most fights too (I assume unholy_prince is in a 10man guild, and it's true that holy has fewer uses there, but we don't all just do 10man)
In my 25man guild, I typically go holy for:

Morchok - If there is another (disc) priest on my side, I will go holy (otherwise disc is preferred). I use B&S on myself at the start of a black phase to run into a safe position sooner and channel a hymn (hymn of hope if mana is needed, or tell melee to stay in and use divine hymn to boost dps)

Warlord Zonozz - The big advantage of holy here is it gives another easy orb bounce with guardian spirit. Between that, dispersing shadow priests, and cauterizing fire mages, we can have everyone else standing in melee. I also use divine hymn for 1st and 3rd black phases (with people spread out, barrier would be useless), and B&S can help move into position for black phases.

Hagara - Divine hymn for lightning phases. Nothing else matches the burst healing, and once the lightning elemental dies the phase lasts about 8 seconds - perfect for hymning. Since we stack ranged+most of the healers in the middle for frost phases, I don't use B&S there, but if I were to be assigned to melee it would certainly see use.

Ultraxion - Disc is typically better, not least because you can smite for a good portion of the fight and only start healing once the incoming damage has picked up. But if you can't get the red crystal (e.g. because other (disc) priests in the raid are getting them) and are assigned to green, then holy is better (divine aegis doesn't trigger the green crystal, holy mastery does). B&S yourself when running to pick up your crystal.

Spine - Our first (heroic) kill of spine relied entirely on B&S. Due to availability, we had to use a non-warrior tank to kite bloods, and my B&S shields were what made that possible. For raid (plasma) healing, I also find holy to be better than disc, as shields and aegis do not help remove the plasma debuff and become mostly overhealing. If people are running into low health and get plasma'd, then shields are lifesavers, but since the only times that can happen is during exploding amalgamations and maybe barrel rolls, and those are the times when raid cooldowns (like your divine hymn) are used, that should be a non-issue.

#654 Rosin

Rosin

Priests are great!

• Moderators
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

The discussion here has really gotten quiet! I expect we are all looking forward to the changes in Mists, but there are still some people looking at the Cataclysm threads.

May the New Year be full of peace and exhilaration, in just the right amounts, at just the right time.

#655 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Because the Mists patch comes out tomorrow, this information is now obsolete and the thread will be closed. For the time being post questions in the MoP thread(s). New compendium posts will be coming as Mists itself gets into release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users