• This topic is locked This topic is locked
538 replies to this topic

#1 bartolimu

bartolimu

palpably superior comprehension

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. Post here IF:
  • Your question requires a simple, brief answer.
  • Your question does NOT belong in one of our existing threads.
  • Your question is unlikely to spark sufficient discussion to warrant being its own thread.

Please note ALL forum rules still apply. For that reason, this is NOT the thread for:
  • Begging for hand-holding
  • Asking a question that could be answered by reading another thread
  • Inventing new and interesting ways to violate the civil rights of ellipses
  • Whining
  • Violating any of our forum rules, with which you should be familiar before posting anywhere. Especially here.

#2 Mitear

Mitear

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi fellow Warlocks.

I cannot get my Focus Soul Swap macro to work.

There was a thread about this on Arena Junkies and no one posting there seemed to come up with a solution, so I figured I'd keep trying here.

I have tried every macro I can think of but I keep getting the same message "Spell not learned" when I'm trying to use the Soul Swap Exhale focus macro.

I.E.

/cast [@focus] Soul Swap

/cast [@focus] Soul Swap Exhale

/cast [modifier:ctrl, target=focus] [modifier:shift, target=mouseover] [ ] Soul Swap

Nothing works.

Anyone that has been able to crack this nut? The last one of those, with the modifiers worked pre-4.0 but never on Beta and not post-4.0.

Very grateful if anyone could come up with or have a solution to this. Thanks in advance.

#3 Jmickey

Jmickey

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

I believe druids are having a similar issue with Moonfire/Sunfire. The only workaround I can think of is using a /click macro.

/click ButtonID

Button ID is dependent on bar mods, so you will need to figure that out yourself.

I do not believe this lets you use targeting conditions ([@focus] etc) or ctrl/alt/shift/etc modifiers, but I can't be sure without looking into it more.

Other than this, there is not other known way of dealing with this issue.

#4 Guest_Akhtal_*

Guest_Akhtal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

I can't test it right now (in class) but wouldn't this work?

/target focus (not sure on the exact synthax on this one)
/click XXX
/targetlasttarget

#5 Guest_Ahhnold_*

Guest_Ahhnold_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Given the buff to RoF and nerf to SoC, which will be our best choice for AoE damage? Maybe an initial Soulburned SoC followed by RoF for affliction locks?

#6 Vicieus

Vicieus

Banned

• Banned
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

What will be the best race PVE DPS-Wise in Cata for Horde?

I've searched and searched the forums to see if anyone has done any research on it, but couldn't find anything substantial.

Goblin
----------------
Rocket barrage:
Launches your belt rockets at an enemy, dealing (1 + 0.25 * AP.429 * $SPFI + level * 2 + $INT * 0.50193) fire damage.

Time is money:
1% increased attack and casting speed.

Troll
----------------
Increases your attack and casting speed by 20% for 10 sec.

Orc
-----------------
Increases your spell power by 584. Lasts 15 sec.

Command : Damage done by Death Knight, Hunter, Shaman and Warlock pets increased by 5%.

Troll Racial (at 80) is worth 36.43 haste rating which is higher than 1%

(32.79 haste rating=1%. [Goblin racial]), but the advantage of the goblin rocket barrage & 1% haste should put it over the single troll racial.

So it's between the orcs sp gain (which is also pet dmg gain) + 5% pet damage vs 1% haste and rocket barrage. The rocket barrage belt does scale with gear, which is nice, but it doesn't crit.

On the reverse side, Goblin rocket jump would be another good defensive cooldown to get out of shit (along with demonic circle). It obviously shares the cooldown with the rocket barrage attack, but who can put a value on staying alive?

I wasn't in beta, so, I have no way of testing data at 85. Was just curious if someone has done any research on this.

#7 Maconi

Maconi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

Given the buff to RoF and nerf to SoC, which will be our best choice for AoE damage? Maybe an initial Soulburned SoC followed by RoF for affliction locks?

I'm interested in this question as well as I've just been doing SB SoC and then spamming SoC until the group is dead (but I'm unsure if this is optimal DPS).

Also when is the best time to cast Curse of Elements? Should you open with it or throw it in during the filler part of your rotation?

#8 Maraili

Maraili

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

@Maconi If nobody else is bringing that buff I would think that the best time to apply it would be opening with it; no matter when you apply it you'll be losing one cast and this also lets the other casters in the group take advantage of it from the beginning of the fight.

#9 Blotorch

Blotorch

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

I figure first page will be a good place for this since we can expect a lot of questions on it (its just one of those things...):

Fel Flame: Will it ever be useful to cast? I've been throwing it in my rotation for funs sake but I have a gut feeling that the dpct just isnt worth it

Has anyone got any math/analysis on this?

#10 Osakaa

Osakaa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Only occasion I could see Fel Flame being useful is when you have to move and can't refresh the dot before it runs out.

I haven't done the math if the extra tick(s?) would be worth the mana or GCD, though.

#11 Onorvele

Onorvele

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

I'm using a very simple macro for Soulburn + Soul Fire. It's:

/cast soulburn
/cast soul fire

Like any decent caster, I do anticipate cast intervals - especially handy when spamming SBolt. I've noticed that when I hit this macro at the same cadence as I would a normal cast time spell, I'll end up casting Soul Fire without the Soulburn effect. Anyone else see the same effect, or have thoughts on how to fix this?
Yes I know I am *way* over hit cap.

#12 Blotorch

Blotorch

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

I've noticed that when I hit this macro at the same cadence as I would a normal cast time spell, I'll end up casting Soul Fire without the Soulburn effect. Anyone else see the same effect, or have thoughts on how to fix this?

The new casting queue thing + more traditional latency issues have meant that it'll often not send the burn signal through. My current work around is to jump/move while i smash the bind to ensure it doesn't happen.

Very frustrating; did they ever implement the casting queue manual adjustment?

#13 Saufsoldat

Saufsoldat

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

Just macro Soulburn to your filler ability, since Soulburn is up for 15secs and the Soul Fire buff is up for 15secs, you'll be able to use the instant cast for to refresh Improved Soul Fire at some point.

#14 fearlesslord

fearlesslord

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:21 AM

Is there any information out there on what stats to prioritize when gearing a Destro lock? I was curious what I should be gunning for after hit cap, if anyone could help me out that would be fantastic.

DPS gain per unit stat increase except for Hit/Expertise which represent DPS loss per unit stat decrease

Scale Factors (Sta 0.0213) (Int 2.8487) (SP 2.1562) (Hit 1.7984) (Crit 0.9609) (Haste 0.8365) (Mastery 0.8237)
Normalized (Sta 0.0075) (Int 1.0000) (SP 0.7569) (Hit 0.6313) (Crit 0.3373) (Haste 0.2937) (Mastery 0.2891)

I got this info from Zakalwe's simcraft. Link Below.

WarlockPreRaid - simulationcraft - Project Hosting on Google Code

#15 Musqito

Musqito

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Is the destruction spec guide missing or am i just not seeing it?
I see Demo and Affi, but seems weird destro wouldn't be there since it seems like the valid raid spec.

#16 bartolimu

bartolimu

palpably superior comprehension

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Actually, you only see the Demonology thread. Thus far nobody has started a Cataclysm spec thread for Destruction or Affliction.

#17 Onorvele

Onorvele

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Just macro Soulburn to your filler ability, since Soulburn is up for 15secs and the Soul Fire buff is up for 15secs, you'll be able to use the instant cast for to refresh Improved Soul Fire at some point.

This seems like a reasonable suggestion. There are two issues, however:

• Statistical Net DPS Loss. My preferred mode would be to cast Soul Fire as soon as Soulburn is off CD. By binding Soulburn to a filler ability, I am delaying my cast of Soul Fire by at least one GCD, if not more. This will result in a DPS loss over time, as some fights that I would have been able to use instant Soul Fire twice I only get to use it once.
  • Most Reliable on Instant Casts, ie, Corruption. Since this issue is that Soul Fire doesn't trigger reliably between two cast-time spells, and since, as a Demo warlock, I cast very few instants, I'll only be able to attach this to Corruption (and mebbe Fel Flame). This leads to additional lag between Soulburn availability and trigger, more DPS loss.

Any other thoughts on how to bypass these issues?
Yes I know I am *way* over hit cap.

#18 Keldrin

Keldrin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Greetings fellow warlocks.

Given that there are many spells who refresh other spells (HoG, Haunt, Fel Flame, DL & DS), I would like to know how the system works if anyone has bothered to find out, since haste now actually increases the number of ticks at certain thresholds

In the case of Immolate for example, does casting Hand of Guldan act like recasting Immolate (with the current state of your characters stats) or does it simply refresh Immolate as it was cast in the first place?

Thanks

#19 Jmickey

Jmickey

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

In the case of Immolate for example, does casting Hand of Guldan act like recasting Immolate (with the current state of your characters stats) or does it simply refresh Immolate as it was cast in the first place?

HoG and Haunt will re-snapshot your haste, so haste buffs like ISF will need to be active when you use these abilities. As far as I am aware Fel Flame will continue to tick at the original haste, although I have not tested this.

#20 Meraxes

Meraxes

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Maybe my head isn't screwed on, but wouldn't an instant cast damaging spell that refreshes UA always be a DPS increase over spending the time to simply recast UA?

Also, is anyone else noticing Drain Soul not refreshing UA until the first tick of Drain Soul?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users