116 replies to this topic

#1 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Shaman Simple Questions Thread: Cataclysm Edition

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead. If you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

Note, however, that all forum rules still apply. You should still verify that the answer isn't already easily available before posting. Asking people to make specific gear or spec decisions for you is still against the rules. Proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are important even in short posts. And so on.

#2 jimavet

jimavet

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

A search didn't help me find a recent confirmation for these water-totem questions:
A) Does healing stream totem benefit the entire raid? The tooltip says it heals *group* members, whereas the tooltip for mana spring totem says it restores mana to "all party and raid members".
B) Do healing stream totems stack, such that two shamans dropping this same totem would see double benefits?
C) Do mana spring totems stack, such that two shamans dropping this same totem would see double benefits?
D) Lastly, Mana Tide Totem is party only, correct? (As this is what the tooltip reads).
My thanks in advance.

#3 Jackaran

Jackaran

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

A search didn't help me find a recent confirmation for these water-totem questions:
A) Does healing stream totem benefit the entire raid? The tooltip says it heals *group* members, whereas the tooltip for mana spring totem says it restores mana to "all party and raid members".
B) Do healing stream totems stack, such that two shamans dropping this same totem would see double benefits?
C) Do mana spring totems stack, such that two shamans dropping this same totem would see double benefits?
D) Lastly, Mana Tide Totem is party only, correct? (As this is what the tooltip reads).
My thanks in advance.

A) That means it only heals group members not the Raid.

B) I'm pretty sure they do stack. Their pulses count as different heals (or so, I'm sure.)

C) I'm pretty sure these totems do not stack.

D) If the tool tip says party only, then you are correct.

#4 Tzan

Tzan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

Any data on how Val'anyr stands in Cata? At some point the loss of Int and SP would certainly catch up enough to out weigh the proc, but at what point does that happen?

#5 Derfal

Derfal

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Mana Spring Totem does not stack with other MP5 sources such as Blessing of Might. BoM now also provides the MP5 component that Blessing of Wisdom once did.

#6 Kaytikat

Kaytikat

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Any data on how Val'anyr stands in Cata? At some point the loss of Int and SP would certainly catch up enough to out weigh the proc, but at what point does that happen?

I tested Val'anyr on some trash last night and was disappointed to see that Healing Rain doesn't seem to apply the shield affect. Without this I'm not seeing any value in Val'anyr at 85.

#7 Ryethe

Ryethe

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Has anyone done any testing with Call of Flame to see if it affects Searing Flames?

My suspicion is that it does not as I have gotten a few aggro warning after a totem has applied the debuff to an untouched mob a few times (debuff, aggro, and damage seems to be attributed to the shaman and not the totem).

Just wanted to double check if anyone has already done this before I run off and do my own test.

#8 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Searing Flames is unaffected by Call of Flame. Searing totem damage and searing flames damage both generate threat on the shaman. The totem generates threat through it's presence (true of all totems) but the threat from the damage is attributed to the shaman. Magma Totem damage doesn't generate threat on you or the totem but does generate threat through it's presence.

In a multi-mob pull situation where some are coming by proxy and not through direct threat I will normally try to move in front of my totem (or drop them behind the tank) so my presence is registered before the totems to keep them from being whacked and killed off.

#9 UtterEast

UtterEast

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Am I using Healing Wave incorrectly? It heals for a hilariously tiny portion of any target's health. I feel like I can only do my job by waiting for health to get low, dumping a big heal on them and then waiting to tick up. I /have/ noticed that trying to keep everyone topped off is oom city, but for many fights if I have to heal anyone other than the tank I'm scraping for mana near the end. Mainly doing 85 normals and heroics here.

#10 Skulmaster

Skulmaster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

For single Target (Tank) healing the best thing you can do is use HW + Riptide for mana conservation, when the damage intake gets too big to heal up with the HW+Riptide combo, you can use HS or GHW depending on the fact that the target is about to die or not. Useally when the target is relativly safe and not about to die, I pop Unleash Life + Riptide + GHW, else just Riptide and HS spam untill it's safe to use HW again.

If other people are taking damage they are either doing something wrong, or else it's unavoidable AoE. If it's only 1 target taking damage, Riptide+HW alternating between that target and the tank would be optimal, just don't try to heal too soon on the topping off issue, there are 'smart/auto-heals' too.
Some encounters are really brutal though, where party + tank is taking heavy damage, and you are unable to utilize Chainheal and Healing Rain to it's full potential. (=people are too spread)
Then you can only hope that Mana Tide/Water shield will make your mana last long enough to finish the boss with 1 person alive. You can try asking people to move in your Healing Rain-zone too. But I'm having oom issues myself too.

#11 Enkoujin

Enkoujin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Sorry to bother with such simple questions but I wasn't sure about how these have changed in Cataclysm, as some parts seem intact with beta changes and others not so much.

Feral Spirit- How are these functioning currently with bloodlusts and stats, do they take the stats you have when they are summoned or do they continue to scale when other trinkets proc / bloodlust?

Fire Elemental Totem- Same question as feral spirit, also just curious how much it fits into Enhance rotation.

Lastly, weapon enchants? Pre-landslide and once we actually have the crystals for landslide especially would be useful to know.

Thank you.

#12 Madok

Madok

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hey, I was wondering which weapon enchant as is best, for Enchancement spec, the Enchant Weapon - Avalanche - Spell - World of Warcraft or the Enchant Weapon - Hurricane - Spell - World of Warcraft, using heroic blue weapons ilvl 346 atm, so Enchant Weapon - Landslide - Spell - World of Warcraft is a bit an overkill (and too expensive), any suggestions?

#13 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hurricane and Avalanche should be pretty close in value for us. If I had to make a call I'd say to use avalanche on a mainhand and hurricane on an offhand but overall I don't think it's going to make much of a difference which one you go with. Landslide being better then both of them by, well, a landslide...

#14 ClearlySane88

ClearlySane88

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

Got an elemental question. Why would I want Ancestral Swiftness as an elemental shaman? Is there a part in a raid or dungeon where going to ghost wolf would be beneficial?

#15 Coeus

Coeus

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Got an elemental question. Why would I want Ancestral Swiftness as an elemental shaman? Is there a part in a raid or dungeon where going to ghost wolf would be beneficial?

You want the 15% run speed. Instant Ghost Wolf is just a handy bonus. Just to clarify, the 15% run speed applies all the time, not just when in Ghost Wolf form.

#16 jojonl

jojonl

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

I was reading the sticky post about resto shaman and I have a question regarding the stats resto shaman need to stack mentioned in there. I know in wrath we need to stack lots of haste because mana was never a problem, so more haste gives better healing. But as of now, healer's mana problem is such a great issue, why is haste still more important than spirit? Haste gives faster heal but also eats up mana pool faster. I am just quite puzzled by this. Hope someone can give me some reason into this?

#17 cesp00l

cesp00l

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

I was reading the sticky post about resto shaman and I have a question regarding the stats resto shaman need to stack mentioned in there. I know in wrath we need to stack lots of haste because mana was never a problem, so more haste gives better healing. But as of now, healer's mana problem is such a great issue, why is haste still more important than spirit? Haste gives faster heal but also eats up mana pool faster. I am just quite puzzled by this. Hope someone can give me some reason into this?

I don't believe it has been verified anywhere that haste is more important than spirit. If you read through the Restoration thread, you will see varying opinions on what stat to prioritize, including several people extolling the virtues of stacking Spirit and Crit.

In the defense of Haste, if you are casting a lot of Healing Wave, haste would be prioritized higher due to the long cast time and cheap cost.

#18 Kitteh

Kitteh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

I hope this isn't too hand-holding and infraction worth:

Considering our standard approved build currently includes fire nova talents in an expansion that has little "burn the trash" type moments due to CC being needed i'd assume it would be better to put the points into either Reverberation or Precision.

Precision would give us a bit more damage from everything but Stormstrike and white hits while Reverberation would increase the amount of shocks we can dish out in a given timeframe.

Would this not be a better spec to run over the one including fire nova? I've gone for reverb and 1/3 in Elemental Precision but i'm not so sure. The answer is of course "sim it and see" but i'm not sure our tools are updated enough to model/handle this well enough and there's not going to be MASSES in it.

If you have further questions, feel free to raise them, but keep in mind when so doing that I'm right, you're wrong, and that you're annoying me.

:keke:

#19 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

Kitteh the issue is that you can't trade the points in Imp Fire Nova for Reverberation or for Elemental Precision since you need those 2 points to get to 31 in Enhancement so you can put any points in the Elemental tree.

2/2 Imp Fire Nova or 2/3 Imp Shields or 2/2 Totemic Reach or even 2/2 Frozen or Earthen Power or 2/3 Toughness are the available options. Imp Shields offers a small single target damage boost (roughly 0.5% per talent point) and Imp Fire Nova offers a decent boost for 4+ target encounters. Saying which is better really comes down to the specifics of the encounter but neither option is going to be very good or very bad so just pick whichever feels more valuable to you.

#20 crunchyblack

crunchyblack

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

How come enhance doesn't use Primal Strike?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users