Photo

Shaman: Simple Questions / Simple Answers -- Cataclysm Edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
116 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_alpha5099_*

Guest_alpha5099_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

Because Primal Strike and Stormstrike share a cooldown. Primal Strike is intended as a low-level ability for Enhancement until they can get Stormstrike.

#22 Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

For single Target (Tank) healing the best thing you can do is use HW + Riptide for mana conservation, when the damage intake gets too big to heal up with the HW+Riptide combo, you can use HS or GHW depending on the fact that the target is about to die or not. Useally when the target is relativly safe and not about to die, I pop Unleash Life + Riptide + GHW, else just Riptide and HS spam untill it's safe to use HW again.

If other people are taking damage they are either doing something wrong, or else it's unavoidable AoE. If it's only 1 target taking damage, Riptide+HW alternating between that target and the tank would be optimal, just don't try to heal too soon on the topping off issue, there are 'smart/auto-heals' too.
Some encounters are really brutal though, where party + tank is taking heavy damage, and you are unable to utilize Chainheal and Healing Rain to it's full potential. (=people are too spread)
Then you can only hope that Mana Tide/Water shield will make your mana last long enough to finish the boss with 1 person alive. You can try asking people to move in your Healing Rain-zone too. But I'm having oom issues myself too.

A couple things I would like to nitpick...

First, I personally don't use Riptide + HW, it seems like a waste of TW to me. For tiny top off heals HW works fine on it's own, or even Riptide on it's own.

Second, I don't know if the casting order was implied in UL + Riptide + GHW, but Riptide consumes UL. You would definitely want to change the order to Riptide + UL + whatever heal you want, since Riptide's direct heal is rather small and you wouldn't see much of a boost from UL.

Third, if you're going oom too often get more spirit (obviously). Also, since you're not raiding, swap out that CH glyph for WS. WS may not scale, but the chance of landing all 4 bounces of a glyphed CH in a heroic pug are almost nil. That means that you're losing hpm on CH by having it glyphed.

#23 Bren

Bren

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Paddington_Bear, Unleash Weapon also affects the Riptide HoT, so it's not a bad idea to buff it. And while I agree that the CH glyph isn't good for heroics, you can't switch it out for WS, because CH is major and WS is prime. A likelier candidate would be Hex.

#24 Akumasama

Akumasama

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

I was about to ask the following questions, but then I said: why not testing it myself?

Test environment
I was using a Warlock friend, who was keeping his health as low as possible with lifetap to fulfill two goals: Minimize mastery inconsistencies in data recorded, make CH cast on me proc a jump on him.
Didn't do a lot of tests (15 mins?) but I think it's enough to understand how certain things works.
Previously I did the same tests with Riptide, and found out the power up indeed affected all jumps.

Does the Unleash Earthbind buff affect all jumps of CH, or just the first?
From my tests it showed UE indeed affects all jumps.
Normal jumps were healing for averagely ~5.1k, whereas with the buff they were averaging ~6.8k

Does the Unleash Earthbind buff stack with the riptide powerup?
Yes, it does indeed stack with it, I was getting even higher numbers on jumps when I was consuming the Riptide buff cast on myself.

Does the Unleash Earthbind buff stack with Riptide?
This has been tested already but I had to test it again. It works with the initial part of the spell, not with the HoT.

Hope this will be useful.
Now a question for everybody else. The current Resto guide says that Ancestral Awakening cannot proc off Unleash Earthbind. Are you people sure about this? Because I got a couple of Ancestral Awakening proc from Unleash, when I was testing on my friend.
Or maybe it was just the old "lagged AA" bug, and what appeared to me as a fast proc from Unleash, was actually a very slow and delayed proc from the CH I cast previously.
Just wondering if this has been already tested thorougfully or not.

Edit:
From what I found out, it would be logical to assume that the Unleash Flametongue works the same way, hence, it should affect all the jumps of Chain Lightning. Wouldn't this make it an interesting option to use in situations where you want to maximize your CL damage?
I find myself using Unleash Flametongue a lot, probably more than I should be. But it sometimes represent a good filler to use before a Lava Burst, for those situations when you're waiting for cooldown, but LB would take too much, and the GCD of Unleash looks perfect, doesn't it?

#25 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

Edit:
From what I found out, it would be logical to assume that the Unleash Flametongue works the same way, hence, it should affect all the jumps of Chain Lightning. Wouldn't this make it an interesting option to use in situations where you want to maximize your CL damage?

Except Unleash Flametongue only affects fire damage and Chain Lightning is nature damage.

#26 Warelle

Warelle

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Few resto questions from a beginner shammie:

1. How to raid heal in a fight when raid takes a lot of damage? (eg: Maloriak). Is riptide/UE worth casting when all raid is hurt, or do you just stick to HR/CH? Should I worry about keeping 3 riptides up, or is it okay to use CH immediately after Riptide?

2. How good is for resto shamans? Is there a list of 359 BiS items? Is there such a thing as too much spirit? :).

3. I read in the Resto thread that Int>Haste>Spirit>Crit>Mastery, but are there some aproximative coefficients for that? Eg: Is better than ?

#27 Akumasama

Akumasama

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Should I worry about keeping 3 riptides up, or is it okay to use CH immediately after Riptide?

If there is a big source of damage coming up that you can clearly foresee and you can afford to waste the GCDs before it happens, then I guess placing riptides around the raid, maybe even storing 1 Unleash Earthbind powerup, and then shooting Chain Heals around is a very nice thing. Especially if you cast 1 CH and then use another one right after with Nature's Swifteness.
Don't think there are a lot of situations where you can behave like that, but when you do it's a good way to cure a lot of raid damage in a short time, I guess?
In all other situations the answer would probably just be a "no", just stick to CH and single target heals accordingly, without bothering about the powerups mechanics.

3. I read in the Resto thread that Int>Haste>Spirit>Crit>Mastery

I think the current guide doesn't mention it, except briefly in the glyphs section, but if you're just starting out with raid and your gear is still bad, I think you might want to put Spirit above Haste in that tier list.

#28 Radial

Radial

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Few questions:

1: The tooltip for Windfury weapon says "Each hit has a 20% chance of dealing additional damage equal to two extra attacks with X extra attack power". Does this mean that those are not 2 seperate attacks and do not increase your odds of procing on hit abilities? Do they even count as 1 extra swing or is it just straight up bonus damage on one swing?

2: What is the PPM rate of the various weapon skills, flametongue, frostband, etc?

2a: Are PPM rates calculated using normalized numbers? For example, if I am using a 1.4 speed oh dagger, is the ppm for frostbrand calculated using the daggers normalized 1.7 speed?

#29 EwokChilli

EwokChilli

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Am I correct that Glyph of FT doesn't affect SS and LL? They are melee strikes so I don't think they're "spells" as per Glyph of FT, although they do require mana to cast?

If you're running FT/FT (with a caster weapon) does this mean that Glyph of FT would give you 4% on roughly 60% of your dps rather than Glyph of SS giving 10% crit on roughly 12% of your dps?

#30 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Am I correct that Glyph of FT doesn't affect SS and LL? They are melee strikes so I don't think they're "spells" as per Glyph of FT, although they do require mana to cast?

If you're running FT/FT (with a caster weapon) does this mean that Glyph of FT would give you 4% on roughly 60% of your dps rather than Glyph of SS giving 10% crit on roughly 12% of your dps?

Why would you swap SS for FT when you could swap Feral Spirits for FT and gain even more dps?

#31 Eidolen

Eidolen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm looking for an addon that will track the amount of seconds left on a riptide that i've thrown out and display this time left within grid without taking up the center icon as I use that for debuffs. I'd also like to know an addon that can show me which targets on grid have power word shield through use of an icon rather then a box and the timeleft on it? Is this possible?

These all need to be grid friendly and displayed within the grid box! Thank you!

#32 Razzberry

Razzberry

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

Does anyone know what spirit value Glyph of Water Shield equates to?

EDIT:
~315 Spirit at 4500 Intellect.

#33 Ayes

Ayes

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hello I read the enhancement thread where it said i need 26 expertise to reach the exp cap. I now got 26 exp in my stats-list and in these 26 points the 8 points from Unleashed Rage are included, which means that my gear gives me 18 points of expertise. Now when i mouseover the expertise it still says i got a 7,5% parry chance on lvl 88 and ??. My question is. Do i need 26 hit cap plus the 8 points which ends up at 34 expertise or do i just don't minde the remaining 7,5 % of parry ?

#34 kindacolon

kindacolon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Parries only occur when you are facing the mob head on. The expertise is there to mitigate any dodges that could occur while you are behind the mob attacking. 26 is the cap you want to reach including the 8 from talents.

#35 SentinelBorg

SentinelBorg

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Not asked but still good to know: While a default Grounding Totem doesn't work in the Omnitron Encounter vs. Arcanotron's nuke, a glyphed one actually works and reflects the spell.

#36 grishaan

grishaan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

The signature spell of the cataclysm resto shaman is (besides the obvious Mana tide totem) healing rain right now. It provides a huge amount of healing when you get your raidmembers to clumb up (especially with it proccing earthliving).

#37 SlimXx

SlimXx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Not asked but still good to know: While a default Grounding Totem doesn't work in the Omnitron Encounter vs. Arcanotron's nuke, a glyphed one actually works and reflects the spell.

Default Grounding Totem works just fine for absorbing Arcanotron's nuke. As a side note, Grounding Totem also absorbs Blackout from Valiona. A shaman in each group makes her phase (more) trivial.

#38 thoraine

thoraine

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys, with patch 4.0.6, 's proc will be changed to 680 weapon damage. With this change, can I assume that with a up time of 20% (10 sec duration 50 sec ICD), my EP for this trinket would be:

(321* AGI EP) + (0.2*(680(MH EP + OH EP))?

Or should I just wait for the sim to include the new version to figure it out? Thanks in advance.

P.S: Also is there a quick and dirty way to calculate 's EP or is that possible only through the sim as I'm trying to compare between the two. I know it scales with Mastery but perhaps some quick math to calculate it's worth from the tooltip (with mastery included)?

#39 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Mengus's logs have been indicating that the proc only applies to auto-attacks, not to melee specials.

#40 Widewing

Widewing

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Elemental question:

Assuming LvB is on CD, you start casting LB when Lava Surge procs. Is it better to finish casting LB, or just cancel the LB and cast the LvB?

I assume there will be some kind of individual breakpoint, which will prob depend on your different stats, but a general rule of thumb would be nice to have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users